Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Motronic posted:

Just so you know, this is getting exhausting. You probably want to back away from the keyboard for today.

Did you want to specify which portion is exhausting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

MomJeans420 posted:

So you're saying you don't have a good explanation for why one should do 65mph on an empty freeway with no one around other than the fact that some bureaucrat said 65mph makes as much sense there as it does on a crowded freeway in the middle of a city? By the way it's literally impossible to follow every law written in the US, so how are you choosing which ones to obey and which ones to ignore?

Also, please tell me the correct way to drive between these two lights. I haven't quite reached the ability to see red lights around the corner from almost a mile away.

If you are incapable of following posted speed limits, you are incapable of operating a motor vehicle and danger to others. Your license should be confiscated immediately.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

At least that's a cogent argument vs a piss-poor attempt at backseat moderating

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MomJeans420 posted:

At least that's a cogent argument vs a piss-poor attempt at backseat moderating

It was a gentle reminder rather than a report button. But ya know, you do you.

I'm memorializing this response in a quote on the off chance you wake up in a better mood.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Phanatic posted:

And if they feel going at the posted speed limit on a road is beyond their capabilities, then they should re-evaluate this. *Especially* in areas where the posted limit is below the 85th percentile speed.

The posted speed limit is an upper limit, not a mandatory speed you must match. In many situations, it is prudent to slow down, your speed should always be appropriate for your sight lines and the available traction.

I've driven on countless roads where the national default speed limit was way too fast to be able to react to a stopped car or debris on the road around a corner. Yet people were happily barreling along at 10 or 20kph above that speed limit.

Phanatic posted:

No. I am neither a robot nor a trained monkey and I will violate laws when it is appropriate (and yes, safety is a factor in appropriateness) to do so. I have even, in the past, smoked marijuana, and even had a drink before I turned 21.

Personal consumption of (mild) drugs is something completely different from piloting 2 tons of steel at speed, on roadways shared with others.

One will perhaps give you a bad trip or at worst poison you. The other can be deadly to other people very quickly if a situation goes out of your control.

You choose to break the traffic laws, the shared framework of rules ostensibly designed to ensure that we all get to our destinations safely and as expediently as that allows. So don't complain when you get a ticket for speeding or running a red light.

If you are unable to follow the traffic laws, you are not legible to hold a driver's license.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Sep 23, 2020

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Speeding is like your favorite sex position; you can do it but you don’t argue about it on the internet.

Or something like that.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

The posted speed limit is an upper limit, not a mandatory speed you must match. In many situations, it is prudent to slow down, your speed should always be appropriate for your sight lines and the available traction.

So true, but so little regarded. The fact that so many (probably most) drivers are unable to do this, but rather see it as "speed limit is X therefore I am always allowed to drive X no matter what", is a pretty good reason to often have the speed limit set a bit lower than "reasonable limit under good driving conditions". Even if it does inconvenience a bunch of people.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Most speed limits are dumb, this arguement is dumber. :v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Elmnt80 posted:

Most speed limits are dumb

Counterpoint: the vast majority of speed limits are perfectly fine and sensible, but you only remember the few odd ones.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Nah most are dumb.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

KozmoNaut posted:

Given that I specifically mentioned safety and appropriateness, I didn't think I needed to specify a set of conditions. But okay: When conditions permit you to go the posted limit, said conditions including things like no precipitation, dry pavement in good condition, daylight, good visibility, and a lack of children playing with a ball along the side of the road, and thought of going at the speed limit causes you to go all white-knuckle on the wheel, you should just use a cab or a train or a bus.

quote:

You choose to break the traffic laws, the shared framework of rules ostensibly designed to ensure that we all get to our destinations safely and as expediently as that allows. So don't complain when you get a ticket for speeding or running a red light.

Of course I won't complain. That's part of the risk analysis in deciding whether or not to break the law. Like I said: I'm not a robot or a trained monkey and I'm have been equipped by billions of years of evolution with an entire sensory apparatus and a pretty impressive computer for the purpose doing things like making decisions.

quote:

If you are unable to follow the traffic laws, you are not legible to hold a driver's license.

This is the height of priggish moralizing. Not to mention that from a safety perspective it's totally wrong.

For many years, this country had a national speed limit of 55mph. Road didn't matter. Straight-as-an-arrow six-lane-wide interstate? 55mph. That eventually went away, and localities were free to experiment with raising speeds as they saw fit. 85th percentile speed was well in excess of 55mph. Someone, like yourself, going 55mph on those roads despite the traffic flow being something like 15mph higher than that, was creating an enormous hazard, despite the fact that they weren't speeding. Speed differential is dangerous , and if you're creating one by saying "I'm doing the speed limit, I'm not doing anything wrong," then you need to get off the road and into a nursing home.

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019
I've finally found the source of all the boomers who run into the road screaming and waving their arms when people go past them doing the speed limit.
I'll remember that I'm in the wrong for being annoyed next time the guy in front of me on an onramp is doing 35 while the flow of traffic is 80 since slow = safe after all

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Please for the love of God, I'd rather see 100 more intersection diagrams than this bullshit continue any longer.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Phanatic posted:

thought of going at the speed limit causes you to go all white-knuckle on the wheel, you should just use a cab or a train or a bus.

Nobody in this discussion is afraid of driving at the speed limit, when appropriate. Yet you keep bringing it up, like some kind of gotcha.

Phanatic posted:

Of course I won't complain. That's part of the risk analysis in deciding whether or not to break the law. Like I said: I'm not a robot or a trained monkey and I'm have been equipped by billions of years of evolution with an entire sensory apparatus and a pretty impressive computer for the purpose doing things like making decisions.

Don't forget the heaping baggage of cognitive dissonance and chronic overestimation of skills and abilities that go hand in hand with said decision making.

Phanatic posted:

Someone, like yourself, going 55mph on those roads despite the traffic flow being something like 15mph higher than that, was creating an enormous hazard, despite the fact that they weren't speeding. Speed differential is dangerous , and if you're creating one by saying "I'm doing the speed limit, I'm not doing anything wrong," then you need to get off the road and into a nursing home.

If a dangerous situation is created when you encounter someone going the posted speed limit, you need to take a good long hard look at your own behavior on the road, and how that leads to a dangerous situation, because that is you creating a

The traffic laws have been agreed upon democratically (at some level) as a common framework that we all agree to follow in order for traffic to flow safely. When you willingly flaunt those agreed upon rules, that's on you.

"Everyone else is doing it" is no excuse. All that speaks to is lax enforcement and a possible need for changes to roads or speed limits, but you cannot just personally decide on those changes all for yourself.

I'll drive the speed limit, keep right except to pass and so on, and generally be a courteous driver. I'll take no responsibility for the irresponsibility of others.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

KozmoNaut posted:

Nobody in this discussion is afraid of driving at the speed limit, when appropriate. Yet you keep bringing it up, like some kind of gotcha.

I brought it up by way of saying it was satisfying to drive on roads where the speed limit is set appropriately, rather than artificially low so as to generate revenue. You read this and started moralizing.

quote:

Don't forget the heaping baggage of cognitive dissonance and chronic overestimation of skills and abilities that go hand in hand with said decision making.

Won't, thanks.

quote:

"Everyone else is doing it" is no excuse. All that speaks to is lax enforcement and a possible need for changes to roads or speed limits, but you cannot just personally decide on those changes all for yourself.

I'll drive the speed limit, keep right except to pass and so on, and generally be a courteous driver. I'll take no responsibility for the irresponsibility of others.

If the 85th percentile speed of the road is 70, and you are going 55, then you are creating a hazardous situation, and it literally doesn't matter whether the numbers on the sign posted on the side of the side of the road are 70 or 55. "But I'm driving the speed limit!" doesn't absolve you of responsibility for your moral crimes, and when the law tells you do something unsafe or dumb then the rational human non-robot response is to consider the possibility that the law is an rear end. And don't pretend like you're maximizing safety, either; if you were doing that you'd be doing something other than driving.

You find yourself at a broken traffic light at 3am. There's no traffic, the light's stuck on red. They find your corpse three months later, skeletal fingers wrapped around the wheel and the transmission in park. Obituary: "He was Lawful Neutral."

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019
"At least I followed the law" I gasp with my dying breath after causing a crash that killed three other people by merging into 80MPH traffic at 55mph because the sign said so. An eagle named "HIGHWAY PATROL" roosts on my wreck and sheds a single tear.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Kozmonaut sounds like a little bitch baby. That’s all I have to say.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

bonelessdongs posted:

"At least I followed the law" I gasp with my dying breath after causing a crash that killed three other people by merging into 80MPH traffic at 55mph because the sign said so. An eagle named "HIGHWAY PATROL" roosts on my wreck and sheds a single tear.

These are the same people that will overtake a car moving 64mph at 65mph while 50 cars pile up behind them.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Phanatic posted:

your moral crimes

:lol:

You seem to have quite a lot of unresolved anger towards people who don't drive exactly as fast as you want to drive.

You're very welcome to come over here and drive on the autobahn, where trucks go anywhere from 70-100kph and a number of people go 200+ at times, while most go 110-150 or so, depending on their preference. Personally I've kept it mostly at 120kph these last couple of weeks, both because I don't see any need to go much faster and because I've been saddled with a very not-fast rental car.

And you know what? Not a single tense situation in 1500km, because the people who do desire to go fast respect that their desire to go fast does not mean that other people have to do the same. So they wait until you can pull back right, or until there is room to overtake. Like reasonable and mature human beings.

Then again, you actually have to make an effort to earn the privilege of a driver's license here...

Relax, and learn some patience. That seems to be in short supply currently.

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

KozmoNaut posted:

Ironic, coming from a sanctimonious moral crusader who demands everyone else does exactly what the sign tells them without thinking.
Go be a lawbrain somewhere else so us dangerous impatient terrorists can do 75mph in peace

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Those are some lame half-assed strawmen a couple of you have set up, just so you can get furious at people who don't do exactly what you want, when you want it. You seem to think I want to force anything on anyone, which could not be farther from the truth.

Try looking at traffic as more of a collaborative process, rather than just an endless parade of people getting in your way.

The fact that you immediately think I'm trying to enforce traffic laws on other people, when it couldn't be farther from the truth, speaks volumes about your attitude towards other drivers.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 23, 2020

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

KozmoNaut posted:

just so you can get furious at people who don't do exactly what you want, when you want it.

You're either trolling or legitimately have a brain injury that affects self awareness

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

KozmoNaut posted:

Counterpoint: the vast majority of speed limits are perfectly fine and sensible, but you only remember the few odd ones.

Considering everyone in my town consistently goes at least 10MPH over the speed limit, and it's not like a crash car derby out on the roads, I think this is pretty obviously false.

Now, maybe the problem is everyone is going to go 10MPH over the speed limit, so raising the speed limit by 10MPH could compound the problem... but either way, I'm gonna throw in another good, hearty laugh at your extremely odd argument.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Try looking at traffic as more of a collaborative process, rather than just an endless parade of people getting in your way.

can we get this emblazoned on the us capitol plz. with strobes and fireworks

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bonelessdongs posted:

You're either trolling or legitimately have a brain injury that affects self awareness

The fact that you cannot even fathom why I would prefer to follow the speed limit, without accusations of bad faith arguments or literal brain damage, should make you stop and reconsider your approach to driving on public roads.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I see a bunch of strawmen and ad hominems, and none of them have been Kozmonaut, sooooo ...

I would just like to say, if this is what I sounded like when I was posting about how great a driver I am and speed limits shouldn't apply to me and blah blah blah when I first started posting in AI as a teenager, good god, I'm sorry.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I don't think anyone is disagreeing that you need to make sure you are going an appropriate speed for the conditions, sight lines, etc. but the vast majority of roads in cities are boring and mostly straight, so it's usually never a problem to go above the speed limit.

Go the speed limit all you want when nobody else is around, but if you're getting constantly passed, maybe you should speed up since at that point you are a safety hazard. That's really all there is to it. It should go without saying that you should know your car and what's appropriate for that as well.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

The fact that you cannot even fathom why I would prefer to follow the speed limit,

We can fathom why you'd prefer to follow the speed limit. What's giving us difficulty is that you insist on following the speed limit even when that means you're going dangerously below the prevailing speed of traffic as you maintain that it's all the other drivers who are wrong and not yourself, a person who admits that he is not as smart as a road sign.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0973411,-107.5813681,3a,75y,13.57h,87.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sMoOfBx8R1ySzjfGzATstnA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This used to be my favorite road. That intersection sign used to be a sign listing the fines for speeding. It went up to 100mph over the posted 55mph speed limit. From that intersection, you can, on almost every day of the year, see (without exaggerating) thirty miles in front or behind you. The posted limit used to be 55mph, because that's just what it was. From what I can tell, they have since replaced all the speed limit signs with "please don't litter" signs, and have stopped enforcing speed on that stretch.

Note: this is not an exaggeration, there was a sign letting you know how much you'd be charged for going 155mph on a signed 55mph road. It wasn't anything too crazy, $200 maybe. No impounding your car, no reckless driving, no losing your license. If you had cash, you could pay the trooper right there and he'd sign your ticket "paid." The google maps must have showed up on a particularly cloudy day, since there are clouds visible in the sky; that's pretty unusual. It's also unusual to see that many cars on the road. I would regularly travel that stretch from Magdelena to Datil a twice a day and never pass or see another vehicle, person, animal, cloud, or movement of any kind.

There are hundreds of roads like this across the desert Southwest, many with speed limits posted. Note that New Mexico is roughly 90% of the area of Germany, with something like 5% of the population. The same rules, logic, and driving habits absolutely do not apply, nor are particularly relevant to compare in these two locations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Protocol7 posted:

the vast majority of roads in cities are boring and mostly straight, so it's usually never a problem to go above the speed limit.

If you cannot drive on a completely ordinary road without getting bored, to the point that you apparently have to speed, perhaps your attitude towards driving is a bit problematic.

Protocol7 posted:

Go the speed limit all you want when nobody else is around, but if you're getting constantly passed, maybe you should speed up since at that point you are a safety hazard. That's really all there is to it. It should go without saying that you should know your car and what's appropriate for that as well.

The reality is that I don't get passed all the time, nor do I build up a tail of cars behind me, which tells me that what I'm doing is perfectly sensible and unproblematic.

Phanatic posted:

We can fathom why you'd prefer to follow the speed limit. What's giving us difficulty is that you insist on following the speed limit even when that means you're going dangerously below the prevailing speed of traffic

Another strawman. That literally never happens to me. Seriously, it doesn't.

There are people both faster and slower than me, and I pass plenty of slower traffic just fine.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

If you cannot drive on a completely ordinary road without getting bored, to the point that you apparently have to speed, perhaps your attitude towards driving is a bit problematic.

The reality is that I don't get passed all the time, nor do I build up a tail of cars behind me, which tells me that what I'm doing is perfectly sensible and unproblematic.

There are people both faster and slower than me, and I pass plenty of slower traffic just fine.

Starting to see why we have a problem getting people to wear masks?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

KozmoNaut posted:

Here I was thinking I was being reasonable. I'm not an 18 year old kid with a lovely red Honda Prelude anymore, my attitude towards driving has greatly mellowed out in the last 10 years and I always make it a point to admit when I'm in the wrong.

I'm not speeding because I'm bored, I'm speeding because I want to keep up with traffic and I also would rather spend my time at my destination than putzing around on the road. Haven't crashed a car or had a single traffic infraction since I was a dumbass kid driving that lovely red Prelude (i.e., in the last 10 years). So I say that's pretty unproblematic.

KozmoNaut posted:

Something tells me you're just looking to justify your point at any length. I dunno what to tell you, other than that out of everyone in this thread you seem to be the most self-righteous.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 23, 2020

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Protocol7 posted:

I'm not speeding because I'm bored, I'm speeding because I want to keep up with traffic and I also would rather spend my time at my destination than putzing around on the road.

The faster you go, the less time you spend on the road, so less opportunity to get into accidents.

Makes perfect sense :shuckyes:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

KozmoNaut posted:

The faster you go, the less time you spend on the road, so less opportunity to get into accidents.

Makes perfect sense :shuckyes:

I mean, your justification for your behavior this entire time is a handwave of "that tells me that what I'm doing is perfectly sensible and unproblematic," so if it works for you, then that also works for me. :shrug:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

It is literally your described behavior: If you found yourself on a stretch of road where the 85th percentile speed was 75mph, and the posted limit was 55mph, you would "drive the speed limit, keep right except to pass and so on, and generally be a courteous driver," and "take no responsibility" for the hazard you are creating.

If the speed limits on the roads you travel are set appropriately and you can simultaneously travel at the prevailing speed of traffic and maintain the speed limit, that's wonderful, I'm happy for you, and that is exactly the situation I was describing my pleasure at discovering in England. It's not like that here, despite your assertions.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Is there a speed limit on shitposting?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Highway speeding etiquette is kind of all over the place in the US, having lived in major cities and rural areas on both coasts. There are plenty of places where 55mph is just the traditional freeway speed limit and if you’re not doing 75-85 you’re getting passed by literally every one. Where I live now, however, everyone barely does 60 on the 55 highways and I rejoice when the limit gets bumped to 65 for a few miles.

It’s not exactly relevant to the speeding slap fight but I always found it interesting how it seems to be a local culture thing more than anything else. It often doesn’t seem to be related to the size or quality of the road.

Except, anecdotally, toll roads are always way more likely to be unofficial autobahns.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

TotalLossBrain posted:

Is there a speed limit on shitposting?
There is, but it hasn't been enforced since two sheriffs mods ago :v:

Ror posted:

Highway speeding etiquette is kind of all over the place in the US, having lived in major cities and rural areas on both coasts. There are plenty of places where 55mph is just the traditional freeway speed limit and if you’re not doing 75-85 you’re getting passed by literally every one. Where I live now, however, everyone barely does 60 on the 55 highways and I rejoice when the limit gets bumped to 65 for a few miles.

It’s not exactly relevant to the speeding slap fight but I always found it interesting how it seems to be a local culture thing more than anything else. It often doesn’t seem to be related to the size or quality of the road.

Except, anecdotally, toll roads are always way more likely to be unofficial autobahns.
Yep. In some areas, lane discipline is also a thing, but it's rare. I hate where everyone is going to go exactly the speed limit (or 1 under because reasons) and they also don't ever let anyone pass.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

:lol:

You seem to have quite a lot of unresolved anger towards people who don't drive exactly as fast as you want to drive.

You're very welcome to come over here and drive on the autobahn, where trucks go anywhere from 70-100kph and a number of people go 200+ at times, while most go 110-150 or so, depending on their preference. Personally I've kept it mostly at 120kph these last couple of weeks, both because I don't see any need to go much faster and because I've been saddled with a very not-fast rental car.

And you know what? Not a single tense situation in 1500km, because the people who do desire to go fast respect that their desire to go fast does not mean that other people have to do the same. So they wait until you can pull back right, or until there is room to overtake. Like reasonable and mature human beings.

Then again, you actually have to make an effort to earn the privilege of a driver's license here...

KozmoNaut, where do you usually drive? Your experience sounds nice but not typical of the roads in the USA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

To all the people bragging about how they exceed posted speed limits and never get pulled over: sounds about white.