Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

kastein posted:

Best thing I saw today: one of those jackasses who throws out the anchor in the travel lane of a highway at the last possible minute and then sits there trying to wedge into an exit ramp as if they're the most important person in the world. Just as I was about to drive by, a cop rolls up and tickets them. There is justice in the world, I hope that fuckhead went to the goddamn impound.

If you can pull it off without crossing any solid lines or slowing down traffic behind you, whatever, but stop/slow down a lot in a travel lane and cause a massive traffic jam, screwing up thousands of people's days to save yourself a few minutes? gently caress YOU. You are an inconsiderate prick.

That or just stop in the middle of the lane waiting for someone to let them in.

Previa_fun posted:

Yeah. Bad driving always has been and always will be a global phenomenom and I bet a lot of us are more guilty than we let on. :v: There's always someone going "I'm never driving in Russia huuuhhh!" on the dashcam vids but it's only 'cause of the prevalence of dashcams over there in the first place we even get to see these driving experts.

If every car in Alabama was fitted with a dash cam I guarantee YouTube's "Alabama Car Crash" channel would be horrifying.

(I picked a random state, no offense to anyone here from AL :))

If you or someone you know ever go to a place like Russia, India or China ask them how the driving is there compared to Alabama. The drivers might not necessarily be worse, but the traffic and infrastructure makes for a much more terrifying experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenDragon42
Apr 29, 2009

Tha Chodesweller posted:

It probably doesn't help that I'm also a computer science major. But seriously, having a tiny rear end Honda with a train horn sounds like a great idea. Maybe I am the people you share a road with?

Did someone say a train horn on a small car? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7A9Y5dwPHI

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The horns in my Studebaker are beautifully loud yet mellow... I need to record the sound at some point because it's enough to make me want situations where I have to honk.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

SFH1989 posted:

Also private plow drivers are assholes.

I've found a pretty good number of the public ones are as well.

Last night I was headed home on a three lane divided highway in the middle lane and was in the process of passing an Ohio DOT plow truck tooling along at 50 MPH (in a 65) in the far right lane, with his plow up and not salting. As I closed the gap to pass he kicked his salt spreader into high gear to pelt me with rock salt as I went by, and as I watched in my rearview mirror turned it back off again as soon as I was clear of his rear bumper. I changed back into the left lane, slowed down to get behind him again and got his truck number.

I attempted to call ODOT and file a complaint; the "supervisor" for the district pretty much read off a script and told me that all drivers are required by state law to remain 100 feet behind an operational plow truck at all times. He continued to repeat this line when I tried to say I was passing the truck in the middle lane, and it was pretty obviously malicious action on the part of the driver. Apparently, according to his interpretation of the law a snow plow is always a rolling roadblock and you pass them at your own risk.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sounds like a job for a dash cam and social media.

They'll change their story real fast if it turns into a PR embarrassment. :angel:

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

Galler posted:

While not anywhere near train horn loud these Stebel Nautilus horns are pretty loud and a lot cheaper and easier to mount.
Yeah I recently installed the non-compact version of one of those onto my x-trail and it's a decent upgrade. You can separate compressor from horn to fit it in tight spaces as well.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Bs4rrierQM

There's always this option

E: dammit, trying to imbed it from YouTube and it isn't working out too well

Tide fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 7, 2014

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve

Geoj posted:

I've found a pretty good number of the public ones are as well.

Last night I was headed home on a three lane divided highway in the middle lane and was in the process of passing an Ohio DOT plow truck tooling along at 50 MPH (in a 65) in the far right lane, with his plow up and not salting. As I closed the gap to pass he kicked his salt spreader into high gear to pelt me with rock salt as I went by, and as I watched in my rearview mirror turned it back off again as soon as I was clear of his rear bumper. I changed back into the left lane, slowed down to get behind him again and got his truck number.

I attempted to call ODOT and file a complaint; the "supervisor" for the district pretty much read off a script and told me that all drivers are required by state law to remain 100 feet behind an operational plow truck at all times. He continued to repeat this line when I tried to say I was passing the truck in the middle lane, and it was pretty obviously malicious action on the part of the driver. Apparently, according to his interpretation of the law a snow plow is always a rolling roadblock and you pass them at your own risk.

Civil Engineers in Ohio know ODOT as The Mothership. You don't gently caress with the mothership. Unless you have dashcam.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.
From my local newspaper, this is why I'm forced to record my daily cycle commute.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've seen drivers do some lovely things but not that lovely.

20 odd years of driving and I've seen maybe two cars use the shoulder for passing, but dozens of cars doing it at once? That's nuts.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

xzzy posted:

I've seen drivers do some lovely things but not that lovely.

20 odd years of driving and I've seen maybe two cars use the shoulder for passing, but dozens of cars doing it at once? That's nuts.

And even worse than that, it's not a shoulder, it's a dedicated 2-way bike/pedestrian path:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Someone sent me this picture:

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
It snowed three days ago and there are still assholes that have not cleared their roof. Mostly SUV/Mini Van drivers. But than you see king dick in a Fiesta with a half foot of ice on top. So lazy, so much not giving a gently caress about anyone other than them self.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
We got ice storms here and it's been freezing, I beat on the roof with the back of my scraper yesterday and it barely chipped the giant ice block. I left it cause I was late for work :shrug:

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

BabyMauler posted:

It snowed three days ago and there are still assholes that have not cleared their roof. Mostly SUV/Mini Van drivers. But than you see king dick in a Fiesta with a half foot of ice on top. So lazy, so much not giving a gently caress about anyone other than them self.

I have read this entire thread and I still don't get the massive amounts of rage this throws you guys into. Seems like a pretty loving minor sin. Leave some clear distance, have some washer fluid in your reservoir and have a set of wipers on your car and you've alleviated the vast majority of the problems that could ever be caused by this.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I see someone's never had to dodge a 100+ pound sheet of ice that decided to take flying lessons at highway speeds. :allears:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

I have read this entire thread and I still don't get the massive amounts of rage this throws you guys into. Seems like a pretty loving minor sin. Leave some clear distance, have some washer fluid in your reservoir and have a set of wipers on your car and you've alleviated the vast majority of the problems that could ever be caused by this.

Posted earlier:

That's why you clean off your roof. 20 seconds of effort to make the road safer for everyone around you is not unreasonable.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

Do you live in the snow belt?

I've had many roofs worth of poo poo dumped on me. Usually it's just, oh, a six inch thick slab of wind blown snow, so I just end up driving completely blind for 10 seconds while the wipers clear it, no big loving deal right? What's life without driving on the interstate completely blind once in a while? Boring, you say?

And then there was this time.

gently caress you and gently caress your ice/snow left on the roof of your goddamn car. Knock it off.

That's what happened when some mongoloid driving a mid 90s grand caravan (mass license plate 736 SRJ, I still have that etched permanently into my memory, 6 years later, funny how almost loving DYING because of someone's laziness will do that to you) is too lazy to clean the snow off their roof. Then they let it go through a week of freeze thaw cycles so it turns into a solid block of translucent ice 3" thick and about 3 by 4 feet in size. Then it flies the gently caress off their roof a hundred feet ahead of you on the highway, flips out of view so you think you're safe 100 feet and a lane over, until it's completely filling your windshield.

If it had hit edge first instead of slamming down flat on the hood and windshield I would probably not be here today. It shook the whole car, dented the hood, bent the wiper linkages, bent the radio antenna, destroyed my windshield, and drat near made me poo poo my pants.

Clean your god drat loving roof off dammit.

kastein fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 7, 2014

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

kastein posted:

Do you live in the snow belt?

I've had many roofs worth of poo poo dumped on me. Usually it's just, oh, a six inch thick slab of wind blown snow, so I just end up driving completely blind for 10 seconds while the wipers clear it, no big loving deal right? What's life without driving on the interstate completely blind once in a while? Boring, you say?

And then there was this time.

gently caress you and gently caress your ice/snow left on the roof of your goddamn car. Knock it off.

That's what happened when some mongoloid driving a mid 90s grand caravan (mass license plate 736 SRJ, I still have that etched permanently into my memory, 6 years later, funny how almost loving DYING because of someone's laziness will do that to you) is too lazy to clean the snow off their roof. Then they let it go through a week of freeze thaw cycles so it turns into a solid block of translucent ice 3" thick and about 3 by 4 feet in size. Then it flies the gently caress off their roof a hundred feet ahead of you on the highway, flips out of view so you think you're safe 100 feet and a lane over, until it's completely filling your windshield.

If it had hit edge first instead of slamming down flat on the hood and windshield I would probably not be here today. It shook the whole car, dented the hood, bent the wiper linkages, bent the radio antenna, destroyed my windshield, and drat near made me poo poo my pants.

Clean your god drat loving roof off dammit.

Sorry about all of that, but I'm still not going up there;

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You guys have an excuse, and it's a smooth enough roof that it usually lets loose pretty soon after you start moving, at least from what I've seen. I wouldn't be going up there either.

This fucker had no excuse, a caravan roof is like 5 feet off the ground.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Hey everyone, it snowed here! Well, I mean up in the mountains...

Still doesn't make the old people drive safer. I need a dash cam. Someone pulls out in front of me probably twice every trip.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Truck stops don't have a brush or something to drive under to get the snow off a trailer? Or do trucks not sit still long enough to let it accumulate?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

kastein posted:

Pretty much this. We got hit by the last big storm to blow through by a combination of snow, then freezing rain, then more snow between Tuesday and Wednesday. So everything that was outside has a sandwich of snow + .75-1" layer of ice topped by more snow. Yesterday some rear end in a top hat in a first-gen Focus hatchback was in front of me in a 35 MPH zone randomly chucking dinner-plate size pieces of ice up into the air, and got butthurt when I passed him coming up to a red light because I didn't want to dodge 1' square pieces of ice. If I can take five minutes to clean off the roof of my crossover that's about a foot taller than I am and has roof racks installed you can clear off the roof of your hatchback that's at shoulder level or lower.

Deeters posted:

Truck stops don't have a brush or something to drive under to get the snow off a trailer? Or do trucks not sit still long enough to let it accumulate?

No, and no. If you're lucky a snow-covered trailer just creates its own rolling whiteout condition for about 5-20 minutes (depending on how deep the snow on top of it is.) If you're unlucky you get killed by an 8" thick piece of ice that comes through your windshield.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

That's a good post, that is.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

xzzy posted:

Posted earlier:

That's why you clean off your roof. 20 seconds of effort to make the road safer for everyone around you is not unreasonable.

It's better when they have to slam on their brakes. It snowed 4 days ago, poo poo was easy to brush off. But instead, this sedan was lazy, someone pulled out I front of them, they hit their brakes and the snow went went flying. Last I saw they pulled over cause they could not see.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

JBark posted:

From my local newspaper, this is why I'm forced to record my daily cycle commute.

Just out of curiosity; did they close a lane of traffic to make that?

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

Das Volk posted:

Who cares?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Das Volk posted:

JBark posted:

And even worse than that, it's not a shoulder, it's a dedicated 2-way bike/pedestrian path:

From the looks of this top down photo of the intersection, no.

Some nice metal bollards (especially the ones that pop out of the ground) would fix that situation quickly

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Well there's having a mildly inconvenient layer of snow on the roof of your car and there's having three inches of ice. The former is hardly worth raging over and the latter is dangerous. I feel like there's not a lot of gray area in this thread, though.

And I suppose I don't really have a lot of comparison to make because during my commute it's pretty rare for me to be closer than 500 yards to any cars even though I take a four lane most of the way in.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

You Am I posted:

From the looks of this top down photo of the intersection, no.

Some nice metal bollards (especially the ones that pop out of the ground) would fix that situation quickly

I read this page from the bottom up and my first thought was 'some shitbird is going to try driving on that if it isn't blocked,' scrolled up and sure enough, shitbirds in formation.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

Deeters posted:

Unfortunately not, but the real problem is with the industry itself, and not lazy drivers as most perceive the driver to be. Simply put, we will not be compensated for the time we take to clear the snow and we will not be reimbursed for any equipment purchased to facilitate the removal, hell a good 40% of what we do is unpaid labor to begin with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIOo9BEou1Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

0rganDonor posted:

Unfortunately not, but the real problem is with the industry itself, and not lazy drivers as most perceive the driver to be. Simply put, we will not be compensated for the time we take to clear the snow and we will not be reimbursed for any equipment purchased to facilitate the removal, hell a good 40% of what we do is unpaid labor to begin with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIOo9BEou1Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I figured the tops of trailers are thin enough that it wouldn't support the weight of someone standing on it, so I'm surprised that much snow could stay up there.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Das Volk posted:

Apparently not but from above poster's pic they could've thrown another lane in with the same amount of work and cost and probably done poo poo tons more good.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Hey dude doing 40 on a 55 mph back road forcing semis to pass you in the upcoming lane: gently caress you.

Dude in the brotruck that passed me and 40 mph guy at the same time by doing 80 in a no passing zone cause you couldn't wait 30 seconds for it to end: gently caress you twice.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Snowdens Secret posted:

Apparently not but from above poster's pic they could've thrown another lane in with the same amount of work and cost and probably done poo poo tons more good.
This might be a discussion better suited for this thread, but adding lanes is only a band-aid solution to congestion - traffic is like a gas, and it'll just increase until you're dealing with roughly the same density of cars that you were before. You can't out-build congestion. Things like bike/pedestrian-friendliness and mass transit are a better long-term solution, although most American suburbs are so spread-out that implementing these systems is difficult.

(And these solutions involve dealing with a large group of people who think that simply acknowledging other modes of transit means you hate cars & want to take them away from everyone)

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

Well there's having a mildly inconvenient layer of snow on the roof of your car and there's having three inches of ice. The former is hardly worth raging over and the latter is dangerous. I feel like there's not a lot of gray area in this thread, though.

And I suppose I don't really have a lot of comparison to make because during my commute it's pretty rare for me to be closer than 500 yards to any cars even though I take a four lane most of the way in.

Having lived in the snow belt, the former can easily cause white out conditions for the car behind, and what doesn't blow off quickly turns into that 3 inches of ice. There really is no excuse to leave 5 minutes early to brush your poo poo off.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Goddamnit Japan.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's one of their goofy game show challenges and not an actual oublic road, right? :ohdear:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

xzzy posted:

That's one of their goofy game show challenges and not an actual oublic road, right? :ohdear:

Hopefully just getting to a better spot before dropping the snow off, but over at Hokkaido there's the tendency to not give a gently caress, a native told me. They're experiencing record snowstorms right now, the Tokyo subway is no longer functional (yards deep of snow blocking several routes) which is comparable to Godzilla actually invading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MrLonghair posted:

Goddamnit Japan.

:eyepop: Holy poo poo