Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

That is technically a single car garage, this guy deserves a medal for getting those cars in there.

On a completely unrelated note, when this neighbor first moved in around the start of the school year, I used to only see him and his room-mates driving a Lexus and wearing tradition Islamic clothing, America has corrupted him. :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

Idaho roads are painted with straight up house paint. Guess what happens immediately to the lines when there is either snow or rain or a light breeze?

gently caress Idaho roads.

Arizona doesn't want to be left out! On several state highways they didn't bother properly removing the old lane lines when they restriped.

When it rains or the light's at the right angle, two sets of markings suddenly pop into existence and all hell breaks loose.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Molten Llama posted:

Arizona doesn't want to be left out! On several state highways they didn't bother properly removing the old lane lines when they restriped.

When it rains or the light's at the right angle, two sets of markings suddenly pop into existence and all hell breaks loose.

Do they put gravel on 90% of the roads once every few years to spray a tiny thin coat of tar over them so that way people can destroy their paint and tires for a few weeks while they kick up rocks/tar whenever they drive? :allears:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

You'd think Floridian infrastructure would be optimized for rain visibility, but no. The stripes don't wash away, but whenever the roads are wet their visibility goes to absolute zero, so you can't see the markings until you're drat near on top of them.

cormorant
Nov 3, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Cage posted:

:hfive:

This was last week, I ended up moving my car during my lunch break but when I was leaving for the day I saw a new suv in my place giving the pickup just as much room to get in. He didn't have any excuse, that was the end of the row and there was plenty of room there.

I hate parking at a college.

but...but...but...he would have had to PUT ONE OF THE WHEELS OF HIS MONSTROUS 4WD VEHICLE INTO THE SNOW!!!!! :aaa:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

jamal posted:

In a really hot environment you could even use less than 50% coolant. The downside is that you lose some of your anti-corrosion and lubricating properties.

Any time I do a coolant flush myself, I use straight distilled water and two bottles of RedLine Water Wetter. It drops coolant temperatures ~10-20F in the summer time.

That said, I'd have to re-flush the system if I wanted to leave the state, and I don't go out of my way to do coolant flushes myself, of course, but it's been known to happen.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I just don't park in spaces where it's skewed or too tight or whatever, I'd rather avoid damage / confrontation etc.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Das Volk posted:

I just don't park in spaces where it's skewed or too tight or whatever, I'd rather avoid damage / confrontation etc.

But what if...

Tomarse posted:

the space next to the twat in the VW that can't park...the only space left in the whole bastard carpark

Obviously if other spaces are available and you care about your car go for the open space, but in his case he didn't have a choice but to park there.

OTOH if you drive a beater (or company car that you have nothing invested in) I'm all for antagonizing the gently caress out of people who can't have the common courtesy to at least roughly get in between the lines.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Geoj posted:

But what if...

Obviously if other spaces are available and you care about your car go for the open space, but in his case he didn't have a choice but to park there.

OTOH if you drive a beater (or company car that you have nothing invested in) I'm all for antagonizing the gently caress out of people who can't have the common courtesy to at least roughly get in between the lines.
Yeah, in my picture it was the only spot within a half mile of my building. Not like we look for jerks that park over the yellow line.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

Geoj posted:

RE: bad parking chat - saw this at a Home Depot

I've never been to a Home Depot where at least a quarter of the lot wasn't parked questionably. There's always the hard parkin' employees at the end of the lot showing off their sweet-bro-trucks or their chrome-addled Pontiac, the guys who don't know how long their long bed-crew cab truck is and have four feet of vehicle sticking out into the aisle, and someone with a trailer who couldn't straighten it out so they just parked across twelve spaces.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Fucknag posted:

You'd think Floridian infrastructure would be optimized for rain visibility, but no. The stripes don't wash away, but whenever the roads are wet their visibility goes to absolute zero, so you can't see the markings until you're drat near on top of them.

It's like this in CT too. Anything more than a drizzle and the lines vanish. Why they're not at least reflective paint is beyond me.

Down south they use Bott's dots a lot to mark the lines, but up here they'd all be pulled up with the first snow plow and probably take a chunk of asphalt with them.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
:eng101: Polo!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

What's a Polo?

(:patriot:)

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Why are they still selling the Golf mk6 in NA?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I'd like to take a moment to thank FLDOT, the FHP, and Miami-Dade Police for not using any of the myriad of information signs, installed at enormous taxpayer expense for just such a circumstance above the turnpike to mention that the southbound lanes were closed for construction, and instead, I'd like to thank them for parking two cruisers and some road flares across the road, and not making any effort to streamline all three lanes worth of traffic off onto a tiny two lane surface street. My thirty minute drive home took an hour and twenty minutes.

Thank you all very much. Assholes.

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

cormorant posted:

but...but...but...he would have had to PUT ONE OF THE WHEELS OF HIS MONSTROUS 4WD VEHICLE INTO THE SNOW!!!!! :aaa:

I hear the Chevy Avalanche is terrible in the snow.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Geoj posted:

But what if...

If I cared about my car I would have left and parked somewhere else.

There is no excuse for not parking in between the lines. Even more so when you are in a busy car park. The other 798 people parked in there had managed it...

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Crotch Fruit posted:

That is technically a single car garage, this guy deserves a medal for getting those cars in there.

39 dollar set of Harbor Freight car dollies does the trick quite nicely.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Snowdens Secret posted:

It's like this in CT too. Anything more than a drizzle and the lines vanish. Why they're not at least reflective paint is beyond me.

Down south they use Bott's dots a lot to mark the lines, but up here they'd all be pulled up with the first snow plow and probably take a chunk of asphalt with them.

I came in here to ask about this. The roads around here are decently maintained for the most part. The paint looks fresh and it's very visible any time it's not raining. The first time it gets dark and rainy though, you're screwed. Is this something to do with the type of paint they use?

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Toymachine posted:

The Chevy Avalanche is terrible.

Fixed that for you

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Still not sure how it happened but I made sure the people inside saw me point and laugh.

Also I guess I should set the date properly.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

This really isn't what I like seeing on my side of the road.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Das Volk posted:

But then you have to walk :colbert:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Molten Llama posted:

ratbert90 posted:

Do they put gravel on 90% of the roads once every few years to spray a tiny thin coat of tar over them so that way people can destroy their paint and tires for a few weeks while they kick up rocks/tar whenever they drive? :allears:

After growing up in Idaho then moving to Arizona, both of these are true.

What's with Arizona grinding away old lane paint? It leaves huge gouges in the road in the exact shape of the old lanes, which are convenient if you're new to the area and it's raining (so they're the only thing you can see). Maybe they're trying to guide newbies into opposing lanes to kill them off?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Leaving the ski mountain which is surrounded by a neighborhood full of vacation homes, I was driving down a narrow road with some snow on it, and snow about 3'-4' high piled up along the sides from the plows. There is plenty of room for two cars, but the tracks in the road show everyone is driving with their drivers side wheels on the center line.

A girl is coming towards me and slows down to a stop. I pull all the way over so my passenger door is touching the wall of snow on the shoulder. She is still in the middle of the road. I can't get any further over, and she creeps by looking exasperated, inches from my car, with about 3 feet of space on the other side of her car.

This same scenario happened two more times with other drivers on about a two mile stretch. drat New Yorkers shouldn't own vacation homes in the mountains if they're going to drive in the snow like they're from Atlanta.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Crotch Fruit posted:

Where there's a will, there's a way

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That one isn't as impressive because we all know a Beetle would fit in that vending machine.

We also know that white Beetles can cut themselves in half to win road races and then reattach at high speeds.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

After growing up in Idaho then moving to Arizona, both of these are true.

What's with Arizona grinding away old lane paint? It leaves huge gouges in the road in the exact shape of the old lanes, which are convenient if you're new to the area and it's raining (so they're the only thing you can see). Maybe they're trying to guide newbies into opposing lanes to kill them off?

Also, when they grind the paint off, as opposed to scorching it off, it creates little valleys that catch the steer tires on big trucks and make you swerve all around. I'm looking at you Indiana.

Fake edit: hey all you guys that complain about snow and ice on semi trailers, I thought about it and decided to see how long and how much energy it would take to knock the ice off the underside of my trailer. Two hours and my arms are sore, and that's just the aftermath of one night's storm. I'm only doing that again if it effects the performance of the trailer.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

0rganDonor posted:

Also, when they grind the paint off, as opposed to scorching it off, it creates little valleys that catch the steer tires on big trucks and make you swerve all around. I'm looking at you Indiana.

Fake edit: hey all you guys that complain about snow and ice on semi trailers, I thought about it and decided to see how long and how much energy it would take to knock the ice off the underside of my trailer. Two hours and my arms are sore, and that's just the aftermath of one night's storm. I'm only doing that again if it effects the performance of the trailer.

One could argue that it already does effect the performance of the trailer if you account for all the additional weight it adds. I know it's probably pretty trivial overall but I bet fuel savings and what-not over time would really add up.

In terms of making it easier to clear the trailers off, how feasible would it be to do an industrial scale defroster grid on the roof/underside of the trailer. Leave it running all night when you're parked and no need to worry about being a rolling whiteout the next day, switch to underside heating to keep the ice off while on the road. Or would the amount of amperage needed to power something like that use up enough extra fuel that it out-weigh the potential fuel savings to begin with?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

0rganDonor posted:

It also fucks you up on a motorcycle. California has the same thing all down I-580 near me, and it is poo poo.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Terrible Robot posted:

One could argue that it already does effect the performance of the trailer if you account for all the additional weight it adds. I know it's probably pretty trivial overall but I bet fuel savings and what-not over time would really add up.

In terms of making it easier to clear the trailers off, how feasible would it be to do an industrial scale defroster grid on the roof/underside of the trailer. Leave it running all night when you're parked and no need to worry about being a rolling whiteout the next day, switch to underside heating to keep the ice off while on the road. Or would the amount of amperage needed to power something like that use up enough extra fuel that it out-weigh the potential fuel savings to begin with?

I've heard that out of everything, including headlights, fuel pumps and ignition systems, the biggest current draw on a car is the defroster. Cadillacs that came with heated windshields in the 90's had an additional wiring harness that tapped directly into a beefed-up 140 amp alternator. The draw from such a system on a 53'x8' surface would be tremendous, you'd be better off coating the top and underside of the trailer with rain-x or that new NeverWet stuff.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

NoWake posted:

I've heard that out of everything, including headlights, fuel pumps and ignition systems, the biggest current draw on a car is the defroster. Cadillacs that came with heated windshields in the 90's had an additional wiring harness that tapped directly into a beefed-up 140 amp alternator. The draw from such a system on a 53'x8' surface would be tremendous, you'd be better off coating the top and underside of the trailer with rain-x or that new NeverWet stuff.

This wouldn't surprise me. Based how loud the sound of the relay clicking on and off is, the defroster must have massive draw on all the Subaru wagons I've ever owned.

Not exactly a scientific rationale, but hey. Must be like running a toaster.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
12VDC is about as inefficient a distribution system as you can get. Since you don't really care about voltage regulation for a defrosting system, you could gain some efficiency using the alternator's raw AC output instead.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Idling a truck for electric power is going to be horrendously inefficient no matter what. And stricter anti-idling laws that are inevitable would render a trailer defroster useless in the future.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I like the idea of a big brush you can drive under at every weigh station.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

This wouldn't surprise me. Based how loud the sound of the relay clicking on and off is, the defroster must have massive draw on all the Subaru wagons I've ever owned.

Not exactly a scientific rationale, but hey. Must be like running a toaster.

I think Subaru just uses really loud relays, I can hear almost every single one in mine. Brake lights, windshield wipers, defroster, headlights, and washer all have an audible relay clicking noise. The wiper one is almost as loud as the turn signal clicker and it goes on/off all the time if you set it to intermittent.

Opensourcepirate posted:

I like the idea of a big brush you can drive under at every weigh station.

The truck stops could use it as a selling point, free trailer brush with fillup. Maybe weigh stations if you could convince a state legislature that it was a safety issue.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Idling a truck for electric power is going to be horrendously inefficient no matter what. And stricter anti-idling laws that are inevitable would render a trailer defroster useless in the future.

Truckers never shut down anyways, don't they? Whenever I'm doing a cross country trip and slip into a truck stop to get some sleep, there's 25+ trucks parked there idling. Same deal at rest stops.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Crotch Fruit posted:

On a completely unrelated note, when this neighbor first moved in around the start of the school year, I used to only see him and his room-mates driving a Lexus and wearing tradition Islamic clothing, America has corrupted him. :patriot:
Traditional Islamic clothing at least covers up that mechanic crack. Please tell me the Taurus looking thing on the left is a SHO. An SHO daily driver and a 5.0 Mustang (I also hope it's a 5.0) is :patriot: as gently caress.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Terrible Robot posted:

Fuel mileage is shot all to hell during snowy conditions anyways, either the truck is plowing through fresh snow or is slipping on ice, both of which are less efficient then good old dry pavement.

As for your plan, that looks line an electrical nightmare that will break during the summer months, and no one will know it's broken until the first heavy snow. It's bad enough to get the top marker lights changed in a jiffy, I can't imagine troubleshooting the 400 feet of heater cable to find the break that happened when a March hailstorm hosed it up. Also, 'leave it running all night' doesn't work for trailers sitting at a terminal or drop yard that aren't hooked up to anything. I've hooked up to a trailer with a good 6 inches of Minneapolis's finest fluff and made a rolling whiteout to Des Moines.

Oh, and intermodal shipping containers. Like gently caress are they gonna install some heating system on the tops and bottoms of those when they spend 90% of their life on a ship or a train. But that 10% of time from railhead to logistics distributor they are gonna be sharing the love.

xzzy posted:

Truckers never shut down anyways, don't they? Whenever I'm doing a cross country trip and slip into a truck stop to get some sleep, there's 25+ trucks parked there idling. Same deal at rest stops.
You're basically right, idling all night is easy and costs only a gallon an hour or thereabouts. There are products that can lower the idling amount by either doing the same as the engine, called an APU where a very small engine does the same as the 14L engine to keep the A/C and TV and fridge running. Or there are banks of batteries that charge while the truck is running down the road and give power while parked. Those suck. They give 8 hours of power when truckers are required to park for 10. There are also heaters (Espar heaters are the brand name) that keep the cab warm at the cost of .1 gallons per hour, but they do not keep the block warm which is important when temps get really low. "Well trucks have block warmers that you power with an extension cord" and that is true, but most truck stops do not have 'shore power' that is popular in the RV world. Only a few truck stops and like zero rest areas have shore power available. There is a push to expand this and get owner operators to use a bunch of stuff from the RV world to cut down their fuel consumption (Owner Ops have more incentive to get higher MPG than company drivers that give no fucks) but the major carriers are using methods that just work all the time and don't have to make the driver actually have to do anything, because we will gently caress it up.

And we will gently caress it up hard. The first week I was driving with CRST, my first week driving big rig ever, my trainer and I were taking a load from Iowa to Seattle, by way of Wyoming. I was still in training, so I drove my 8 hours, my trainer / dad drove another 5, and we parked in Laramie WY at the Petro in the dirt lot across the street. It went down to 13 degrees that night. Now, CRST had this system on the truck where the truck would turn on and off to prevent constant idling. When the cab temp got down to, say, 60, the engine would turn on and run at just above idle for 5-10 minutes, until the cab temp got up to 70, then it would turn off. This is how it is supposed to work. In reality, once the system was set up (and for the life of me I cannot remember the name) we had to use a bungee cord to keep the gear stick in hard left neutral, otherwise it would move around and not start up properly when the temp got too low. WE DID NOT KNOW THIS. That meant during the night, the system started the truck fine two times. On the second time the shaking of the truck knocked the gear stick out of the very particular position. It did not start a third time. Eventually my dad got too cold and tried to start the truck, the frozen block was too much for the starter to handle, and the bucking of the truck snapped the power cable from the batteries to the starter.

First week on the job.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

Traditional Islamic clothing at least covers up that mechanic crack. Please tell me the Taurus looking thing on the left is a SHO. An SHO daily driver and a 5.0 Mustang (I also hope it's a 5.0) is :patriot: as gently caress.

Both vehicles are 3rd gen Mustangs, the left being an 87-93 model, and the right is an 85-86 model (based on the headlights and Wikipedia).