Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I need to stop reading this thread at the end of my work day before heading home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Geoj posted:

Do the "baby on board" placards activate some kind of self-important entitled road rage mode when you put them on? I just had some woman in her mid-20s start brake checking the gently caress out of me while following at around two car lengths around a long turning interchange that averages maybe 30 MPH. She was doing the whole "brake-brake-stop-speed off repeat" act for over a quarter mile until we merged with the other highway and I was able to get around her.

She then proceeded to park herself a foot behind my rear bumper and stayed there for the next three miles on the highway plus the mile and a half I covered on surface roads. She jumped out of her car to accost me when I was dropping my wife off at work, screaming that I was trying to murder her newborn baby and driving like an rear end in a top hat, etc.

Never mind that before she started trying to cause an accident I was following at a safe distance for conditions. Time to buy a dashcam...

People see my "Baby On Board" placard and instantly think, "he's a father," but the truth is, it's there for the California burrito I just bought and I'm driving slow as gently caress so I can eat it without spilling. - Fireland

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

I don't mind these. I know how they work. People in metro Phoenix? Not so much. It's two lanes. STOP CUTTING ACROSS IT AND PUTTING ME IN PANIC MODE EVERY SINGLE DAY. Look! Google Maps even has someone doing right then and there!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Drunken Lullabies posted:

And yes WA has right-on-red which leads to a LOT of hilarity and poor decisions. Especially when it involves an intersection with a no-right-on-red sign. Theres a few in Seattle with incredibly visible signs that like clockwork get me honked at every time because I actually obey the law.

This drives me up a wall. Here in Phoenix those are usually limited to offramp intersections onto surface streets so they're angled up. A few roll backs usually gets them to freak out more which makes the honking worthwhile. Metro cops could make the city bank if they just sat across the street from these things.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

xzzy posted:

No, but it's normal for cities to do a terrible job maintaining road markings. They don't paint often enough and use poo poo paint so it wears off in about a year.

This. This particular roundabout sits between a city line and a very large resort. City says it's private and the resort should maintain it. The resort says its the city's problem because it's the only passage connecting two major surface streets. The slap fight leads to it being not maintained. You see the dark patches? A water main beneath it burst and the entire thing collapsed last year. Neither party wanted to fix it so a private citizen near by came in with a rented Bobcat and hamfisted his way through the repair. So now it still isn't marked correctly and I wouldn't taken anything less than an F150 over it.

edit: I'm hoping they eventually figure it out and mark it single lane and paint off the double entry lanes. Easy, cheap and it would keep people from doing stupid poo poo.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 4, 2013

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Dead Cow posted:

Double edit, just refreshed
Incident: 00402 Type: Traffic Hazard Location: I5 S / Sea World No
Detail Information
12:34 PM 2 [4] NO VEHS IN SIGHT
12:33 PM 1 [3] WHEEL BARROW IN #2

Just note, that's the 402nd incident TODAY in San Diego County. The couch one is the 166th incident in Orange County.

This reminds me of the Arizona DOT twitter account. Last Christmas season in one day it basically went down like this:

Tweet 1: Christmas tree in southbound lane on I-10 at Elliot
Tweet 2: Christmas tree in northbound lane on I-17 at Green way
Tweet 3: Christmas tree on northbound 51 at Bell
Tweet 4: Refrigerator blocking 2 lanes on I-10 at 143 exit. SECURE YOUR LOADS PEOPLE.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Once every few years Phoenix will get a heavy fog. It's hilarious watching people drive 15 miles an hour down the freeway blinded as poo poo from their own high beams wondering why they can't see a god drat thing. Adverse weather in a place that has no weather leads to the dumbest people ever.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Like this. I drive the HOV lane of that freeway on a regular basis and that type of thing (people pulling into it from stopped traffic without looking) happens all the loving time, and it's scary enough driving a car. At least in a car, that accident would be more of an annoyance; riding a motorcycle you're looking at serious injury.

I really really want a bike but this single thing is what terrifies me the most and what stops me. Every day I see it. Every god drat day.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Forgot I had this.

Water main blew up the hill to the right flooding the street moving down. Do Not Enter signs were put up at the intersections immediately. People drove around them. Not only did they drive around them they chose to drive on the sidewalk to not drive through 4 inches of standing water. This was just one person out of many that did this for HOURS. I got flipped off and screamed at for taking this picture.

I hate people.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

There's a reason our state had to enact the Stupid Motorist Law. People here see so little water that they don't understand what it can do.

This is from the same stupid roundabout I posted earlier. :v:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I hate hate hate freeway speed cameras but after living in Phoenix Metro I'm all for intersection red light cameras because this:

InitialDave posted:

Or those moments where you think "Yeah, I probably should've stopped for that one" - and three people come through after you.
Red light running in AZ carries the same point penalties as a DUI but people still loving do it despite the points and cameras. It's just....WAT. If I brake for a yellow I instantly watch my mirrors to watch the fuckwit behind me A) mash the brakes of their 2 ton death machine ready to crush my Neon into oblivion or B) Seethe with rage, wailing on their steering wheel or brandishing a firearm.

Even after 12 years here I'm terrified of being 'front of the pack' in a grouping of traffic.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Owen Wilsons Nose posted:

We have similar in Tampa, except it's a sheet of plywood with some wheel barrow tires bolted on piled as high as possible with unsecured palm fronds and yard debris going 65mph.

I immediately signaled to get over and took that right because gently caress being anywhere near that guy.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Places with snow days are adorable. :allears:

Although, I'd jump at the chance to get a "poo poo's too hot today, yo" day if it's possible to get a second degree burn from just sitting in my car.

:v:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Speaking of overloaded... spotted on the way back from the zoo. Wobbling all over the drat place.

Oh Phoenix Metro. You never cease to amaze me. :allears:

Almost rear ended some moron in a black 300C at 4 AM this morning because they were driving with their DRL's and decided they needed to be in my lane out of loving nowhere.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

xzzy posted:

Why the gently caress is car on fire. :psyduck:

Because the south.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

davebo posted:

I was gonna say, it probably wasn't that guy's fault but rather whoever rotated his wheels last.

Not like the infamous autocrosser who I'm sure swapped wheels out himself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv4m41viy4I

This will never not be hilarious. Was there any back story to this infamous video posted?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
So this is making the rounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FtbMr-hElDY

Guy plows his bike into the back of a Mazda at a 140mph

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

GramCracker posted:

"Hay guise! I found a spot!" :downs:

This is art.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Register in Yavapai county. :smug:

Which worked out since I've been completely incapable of fixing my EVAP leak for the entire time I've owned the vehicle. :v:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

xzzy posted:

This seems like a pretty interesting street to live on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP7k08Ytdq4

Only the first few minutes are car related shenanigans. The dude spinning donuts in the middle of the night is a hero. Everyone else.. not so much.

Scruff McGruff posted:

:stare: Jesus, that dude needs to move.

This. Holy poo poo.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

CharlieWhiskey posted:

On the topic of parking with no lines, an oldie, but a goodie: http://myofficeparkinglot.tumblr.com/

Just when I've forgotten about it the site gets posted again. Still great.

:allears:

Is it a goon? The writing seems goonlike

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Javid posted:

This guy's a regular around here:

He also parks it in the exact middle of a handicapped space and walks into the store.

Sorry but this guy owns

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

:negative:

I let him get reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally far ahead of me before I went. Those tiles are 10+ lbs each.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
There's a bunch of small stuff on various state books that they can PC you over for when you do that.

Exhibition of speed
Unsafe [action]
Waste of Finite Resources (that's the usual one here in AZ)

It's rarely a ticket but does qualify for a full blown stop to get an earful or the PC needed to find something else in plain sight.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

The Locator posted:

That's one of the things they pop you for if you get nailed for driving alone in the carpool lane. Minimum fine for the tickets you get for carpool lane violations are $400+. Not sure why they don't have a bunch of motor officers monitoring that lane every day, the state would get so much money.

WoFR is technically a 15-25 dollar fine if I remember right but that's just the reason they pulled you over the first place. If they want to stack on some other stuff since you're there however.... :v:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

MomJeans420 posted:

In CA the carpool fine is ~$500, but it's not a moving violation and it doesn't count as points on your license. Once I realized that, I did the math and decided it would probably pay for itself in gas / wear and tear vs being in stop and go traffic, let alone my time. Never actually had to pay a ticket for it, but had a cop write one then not put it in the system, then another cop try to pull me over from the shoulder but he dropped his bike into the carpool lane lol.

Jesus Christ, dude.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
gently caress everything related to the I-17 north of Phoenix yesterday. ADOT decided to create the entire section of it from Cordes to Phoenix as a "holiday corridor" and lowered the speedlimit by 10 mph respective of each section. That's fine, whatever, I've got cruise control. But all it managed to do was cause straight up chaos. 50% of the people obeying the new limits, the other 50% not, on an already annoying stretch of freeway where people don't know how passing lanes work. And at NO POINT on either the trip up or the trip back later that evening did I see a single DPS cruiser on enforcement duty. They could have had a loving field day.

Single most stressful 5 hours on that interstate ever. EVER. Sorry, mom and dad, we're celebrating thanksgiving on Friday's now. Forever.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ProjektorBoy posted:

Makes me wonder if some unmarked guys were chilling out at Sunset Point with some binoculars so they could cackle and fist bump at the chaos.
Holy poo poo I forgot to mention that. The mass of cars getting to the top of the hill at Sunset was surreal. It was like the opening of the Indy 500 but all the drivers were varying degrees of autistic.

ProjektorBoy posted:

Whereas they could have had 1 marked car doing laps around the zone to coerce some consistent behavior out of people.
This is what kills me. This is all it would have taken to calm that poo poo down. 1 loving cruiser doing laps between Anthem and Sunset.

Nah, some signs and the honor system totally works, right?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Arizona law enforcement doesn't need a lower speed limit for holidays to reinforce its text book racism.

:confused:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
My Escape is the first car with auto headlights and I love it. Well, also the little car graphic & dummy lights make it obvious when its doing its thing. If it wasn't obvious I'd probably dislike it.

The wiring in my SRT is bad enough that an engine compartment fire would be a more reliable way of seeing in front of me.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Protocol7 posted:

Yeah my 2017 Escape (SE model, not sure if the S is gutted in comparison) has all the fancy voice control and text message reading stuff built in. I don't think I can dictate messages or anything like that, but at least I can have texts read to me so I can easily see if my wife actually needs something, and I can tell my car to dial the phone based on my contact book. Pretty neat stuff.

The sync voice stuff in my Escape is real dodgy but just going "OK Google read me unread text message" works well and it blurts it over the speakers anyways since it's connected over BT.

tbf mine is the lower tier Sync 2, not the fancy Sync 3 like I think you have.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Protocol7 posted:

I don't think I have the fancy system, it's the base model SE without any options and my Sync isn't touchscreen or anything fancy. I know they're improving it over the years though since my Sync is better than my wife's Sync in her 2013 Focus.

Oh, I thought all the Sync stuff got updated to 3 sometimes after the '15 model year. My bad. It sounds like you have the same 2 system as me. Glad your voice stuff is working out, mine was a constant fight for it to recognize names in the phone book. Google just did it better in my case.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

wolrah posted:

I just made the same mistake when trying to buy a Sync 3 control box to upgrade my '15 Fiesta. Bought one out of a '16 Escape and it was just a box with USB connections rather than the display connections I needed.

Ouchy, hopefully that didn't set you too far back. I'm super curious about your upgrade though. I didn't think I'd mind the Sync 2 in my Escape SE but after playing with a friend's Sync 3 and Android Auto I'm thinking I might take a plunge into something that supports it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Protocol7 posted:

Probably just road rage. I am guilty of honking and flashing my brights at people who piss me off, but then again I make no claims that I'm a good person.

I drive such a short distance that I never really have the opportunity to horn rage people but I wouldn't put it past myself. Yesterday at a very busy gas station I'm waiting for someone in front of me to back out of a spot when the person next to me starts backing up without looking back and is going right at me. New car panic sets in. I forget everything about how cars work or the fact I've been driving for 20 years and frantically just mash every button on the steering wheel (except the center of the wheel for the loving horn). I give up and slam it in reverse to get out of his blind rear end way.

It's me. I'm the idiot. :negative:

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 13, 2017

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Few years ago it snowed down into northern Phoenix metro just above the 101 and the entire city went loving crazy. Thousands of cars rushed up to Cave Creek to pile snow onto whatever car they had to drive it the 20 or 30 miles back home. I lived in some apartments just on the other side of the loop and watching it was unfuckingreal. Every manner of boring 90's sedans with giant snowmen built directly on their hoods and roofs doing 40 mph to get it home. It caused so many accidents that the state sheriff's department had to put up literal snow check point to stop people from doing it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I run all seasons on both the Escape and the SRT-4 (depending on reviews) here in Phoenix. Softer for the SRT for a touch more grip, harder on the Escape for longer life. Both cars get driven up to the mountains (Prescott) and see some scattered dirt roads and rain or light snow. Running summer/performance on the SRT means some really awful tread life and I don't track the thing so as long as they are good enough for some light on-ramp hero work I'm ok with that. The Escape is just a people/thing hauler so as long as they aren't round granite boulders I'm ok with them. If it dumps a foot of snow up in Prescott over night then I'll just put my next trip off a week or stay up there an extra day for the roads to get treated.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 2, 2018

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

I have a tendency to keep awareness of cars coming up from way behind me. A lot of times it really helps identify potential troublemakers.

Whenever I'm forced to brake hard my eyes immediately shoot up to my rearview mirror to catch that one last glimpse of the mother fucker that's going to kill me.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Geoj posted:

He stopped behind me and immediately jumped out of his SUV and started walking up to the side of my car

A good way to get shot.

I have to wonder what his plan was. Scream until you said sorry or something? All while standing in the middle of the road?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

I cannot think of a better reaction than :discourse:

Absolutely beautiful.