Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

davebo posted:

Edit: vv at one point I saw an ATV with what looks like a small yellow New York license plate on it. Are those actually road legal in New York if they have blinkers or something?

No, my brother has an ATV with NY plates but that only makes it legal to ride on private property. Riding unregistered/illegal dirt bikes and ATVs through the streets isn't uncommon in NYC, I guess it's mostly a Bronx thing but I've seen it in person here in Brooklyn too, just not in groups. Your chances of getting caught are very low and even if you do you usually only end up with a couple hundred dollars to pay and maybe you wont get your ride back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
After two hit-and-runs I installed a dashcam, but it's still primarily for my own amusement. This is what I bought for anyone curious. I know some day I'll get something of value on video so it's basically a guaranteed investment.

NOTinuyasha fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 17, 2013

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Geoj posted:

How does it do at night?

Usable but not great, you can search 'DVR007' on youtube to find other examples.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I'm kind of curious what I'm actually supposed to do in the event my camera caught something that'd exonerate me in an accident. Is the bureaucracy at most insurance companies capable of handling and judging that sort of evidence? If only the cars were damaged would the police give a poo poo about my video at all? Can't assume anything.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
My '91 Colony Park was a terrible city car in a lot of ways (tiny gas tank, huge turning radius, impossible to park) but absolutely nobody hosed with me when I drove it. It's sad to think I'll probably never own a car like that again, though the more I think about it the less sad I am, it was in such sketchy condition I rarely drove it outside of Brooklyn. Now I have an E39 and there's a marked difference in the way other drivers behave around me.