Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I will happily pass plow trucks all day long, especially when they're plowing the highway at 60km/h ish (35-40mph), because that's about as fast as they go even when there's only an inch or two of snow on the ground. Of course, I've gotten a few strange looks as I drive a miata.

Also, I need to be at the ski hill for 8am (Ski patrol) and have grown up driving with lots of snow. I've driven in a few storms before the plows got out where I was plowing with the front bumper. Definitely one of those if I stop I'm not getting going again kind of situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

kastein posted:

Yeah, that's where we were headed when we got slammed by slush from a plow, too. Well, we were on the way home actually. Used to spend every single Wednesday up at Ragged Mountain in NH skiing from the minute the lifts opened till the minute they closed.

I'm less likely to pass a plow on the way back, and the roads are usually better anyway. Once after getting 3 backboards in one day and skiing the toboggan down for all of them, I was ready for driverless cars, or even an automatic, as operating the clutch was a ridiculous amount of effort. Leg burrrrnnnn

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

8ender posted:

In Ontario I feel like we're right on the edge of it being socially acceptable to flash brights at someone doing this like they do in Europe. I've seen it done lots of times now and people seem to move over without any sort of drama or rage.

I really want this to be a thing because people passing on the right causes lots of near misses.

I will do this prior to passing on the right. I'll come up behind, wait a few seconds to see if they're going to think about moving over, if not I flick my brights a few times, and if they still don't move over I'll pass on the right.

No one seems to care about it around here, hasn't gotten me in any road rage incidents, and people tend to move over. I'm in Brockville though.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

MrYenko posted:

:stonk:

As a native Floridian, I have to ask...

Why even go to work?

Because I'd consider that road to be in good condition? Welcome to Canada.

I drive a miata year round, and I'm a ski patroller so I'm driving to the ski hill every weekend. That picture isn't bad, bad is when you're driving down the highway to get to the ski hill and the plows haven't been out yet, so you're literally plowing the road with your car. I've yet to get stuck, but I'm far too used to the feeling of the car floating on the floor pan in the snow. Stopping is something you do only if you know you can get started again, stopping distances are hilarious, and at that time of the morning with that amount of snow red lights are a suggestion to be followed only if someone is coming through the intersection on the green. Thankfully I can usually coast my way up to reds slow enough that they're green by the time I get there.

Oh and most turns become some variation of turn in, car starts to turn, car starts to wash out the front, gas to slide the back around, catch slide, continue.

There's about 10" of heavy snow in my driveway right now, I broke my shovel trying to shovel it all off last night. This morning I just backed out over it all. Winter tires are king.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm being generous. Last time I was on it (in my '97 Impreza rust bucket - RIP) I had to wait behind a 911 turbo because he was afraid to go over 40 in a 60 on it.

My favourite road around here is a 2ish lane country road, though it's getting a bit rough. Late this summer I had a terrifying moment of coming around the corner and finding they'd ripped up the road to prep for repaving, which will be wonderful. It wasn't a lot of fun to be surprised by it though. Can't wait until next year. There's no posted limit which means its 80km/h, and I can't maintain 80 through the corners, so it's relatively legal to have fun on. Of course, lots of people stick to no faster than 40-50km/h, so it can be fun getting around them. It's pretty rare to see someone though.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

On my first driving test (Ontario) I turned left when the guy said right and stalled the car parking on a hill. Those only counted as "improper turn procedure" and "improper gear selection", and you're allowed to get three of those before failing on the fourth, so I passed. shrug

On the more advanced test a couple years later, the woman basically screamed at me for not checking my right blind spot when turning right from the right lane on a road with no sidewalk. "YOU COULD KILL SOMEONE DRIVING LIKE THAT!!" Okay, sure. I got 3/4 blind spot checking errors for that, and because I guess a quick 0.5 second glance to detect anything unusual in the spot doesn't count --you have to make an exaggerated head turn so that the examiner knows you're reeeeeaalllllyyyy looking. Oh well. Still passed.

I came within one question of failing the California written motorcycle test, because their questions about lane positioning are literally wrong. California apparently thinks you're supposed to ride in the center of the lane, where there's all the oil and broken glass and poo poo, despite every course in the country telling you to ride in the left or right tire track depending on which lane you're in and a bunch of other factors. Dummies.

Ontario is stupid. I *almost* failed my "G" test (G is full license) because of how I was signaling... on the 401. In Toronto. At the start of rush hour. Every time I changed lanes, I'd use the '3 flash' thing that my parents car had. If you tap the indicator, it'll flash the signal 3 times and turn off, so you don't have to hold it down. In Toronto, this is useful because if you signal before you move people close the gap. So, I used that and if they'd marked down one more 'improper use of signal during lane change' check marks I would have failed. Thankfully the examiner brought it up, then told me not to change how I was driving because that's what you need to do around here.

I wouldn't take any of the test in a stick shift, they have the stupidest rules. No gear changes in the intersection, they can fail you for 'shifting too late' (how the hell am I supposed to shift before 3K, while not shifting in an intersection, when the intersections are 8 lanes wide (including turning lanes)? 3K RPM is ~15mph in 1st here), improper gear (start in 2nd? gently caress you), etc. Ontario is stupid.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

EightBit posted:

If a powered vehicle were there that you couldn't pass, you probably wouldn't go on the internet and rage at truckers. But it's a group of cyclists, so somehow it's different.

One of the things that bugs me most is slow drivers refusing to pull over and let faster traffic by. What I mean by this is when you wind up with a motorhome at the front of a 20+ car line doing 20 under the speed limit because the road is twisty & hilly and they don't know how to drive. Typically these roads have no passing zones, or if they do, they're short enough that one car can get by if they're lucky. These roads usually have spots for slower drivers to pull over, but no one uses them. I hate drivers like these just as much as I hate cyclists who are riding in such a way that it prevents passing. It may not be illegal to do what they're doing but grow the gently caress up and have a bit of common courtesy for the others on the road with you.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Colonel Sanders posted:

TLDR; gently caress you if you back your vehicle in when parking.

It is safer to back in than drive in, provided you know how to loving drive. Backing in allows you to drive past the spot, look in for any obstacles, and the only things you can hit are stationary objects. Driving in means that you're less likely to notice a hazard in the spot, and when backing out you have the possibility of hitting anything moving in the lane as well as stationary objects. The safest entry into a parking spot is to drive through one spot into the next, removing the need to back up. It takes practice, and as has been mentioned the number of minor instances will go up while people learn how to back up. You should also always do a quick check walking around your vehicle when you park in a public (or uncontrolled) area, as you'll notice any damage then & there, as well as any possible hazards (tire goes flat, etc).

I can't find the specific reference, but the Canadian occupational health and safety organization indicates that you should always back in, as does the traffic engineering course I took.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

8ender posted:

The right lane is the new fast lane on the 401 in Ontario. gently caress the haters, if that lane is wide open for miles I'm using it if no one else will.

This is true. I just wind up using whatever lane is open and lets me get around people. I'll occasionally flash my lights to try and get people out of the left lane, but :effort:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

8ender posted:

I got to ride in a crown Vic during police chase training at the Ontario police college. They have a professional driver (the crook) in a Matrix S and he fuckin made a mockery of our trainee. They have a wicked old airstrip to train on like the top gear track.

Picton? St. Lac hosts autox events there, and there's also usually a 2 day regional event there every year. It's such a great spot for it, 3rd gear slaloms at 120km/h :getin:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

8ender posted:

Aylmer Police College. They can pick up some wicked speed on it. It felt like the door sills were going to scrape the ground in the Vic I was in. They have it setup with fake intersections and streetlights as well.

Ahh nice. OPP uses Picton as well, and they spray paint their cone markers in place. Use chalk like the rest of us, you idiots!

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

It just kind of... ceases to exist.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

8ender posted:

I travelled home tonight on a highway packed with about 6+ inches of snow during a snowstorm. Its normally three lanes but had turned into one unofficial lane so everyone had some space to slide around. It was a very orderly line of cars and trucks moving about 50-70km/h for about an hour. No one panicked, no one flexed MY POSITRAC into a barrier, and everyone kept a good distance.

It is official: severe winter has brow beaten Canadian drivers into being good at winter driving again.

Some of them, maybe. The 416 will forever be a wasteland of good winter driving. When I can pass your hummer (who is doing 40km/h) in my miata, in the outside lane that has about 6" of snowpack, then proceed back to doing 80-90km/h in the relatively clearish right lane, you're doing it wrong. This happens every time I drive the 416 in a snowstorm, without fail. Last night it was a hummer, the time before that multiple 4x4 trucks, a few jeeps, many other suv's, etc. I enjoy that people aren't generally speeding, but if all you can manage is 40km/h when most of the traffic is managing 80-90 (even the transports! watching them pull into the left lane and slide the trailer around while going past someone is both sphincter clenching and awesome at the same time) get off the loving road.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

The brake is the "Something Is Happening That I Don't Want" pedal. Being a fellow Albertan you should know this intuitively from every jackhole who enters a corner below the yellow-sign speed and then brakes the entire time through it.

I thought the point of the yellow signs was to try and double the speed indicated :confused: at least when the weather is good anyway.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

You're all sperging out a bit much about this... I'll throw autos into neutral at long lights, or in a stick shift I'll be in neutral off the clutch and throw the parking brake on if it's a long light.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

rcman50166 posted:

Says the dude who replied with absolutely no content :ironicat:

No, it's you being the pedantic shithead. If you're paying attention to your surroundings (and, you know, watching the theoretical truck hit the one singular patch of ice you already drove over so you know it's there) you'll notice the car behind you struggling to stop / starting to slide, throw it in gear, and escape. The time it takes to shift from park to drive (or neutral to first in a stick) isn't going to result in you getting hit if you're paying attention, and if you're not paying attention that extra half second isn't going to matter in the slightest.

Tell me, do you stop 5+ car lengths back from red lights / the cars in front of you so that you'll always be able to take off if you need to?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Chinatown posted:

Depends on the car. Trucks with higher mounted fogs piss the hell out of me. Most arent bright enough to be annoying IMO.

I prefer to drive with my fogs on at night because I feel it gives me better visibility for potholes and hidden dips. San Diego streets are embarrassingly bad.

Fog lights tend to light up the area right in front of you, at the expense of your long range night vision. In a city setting where there are streetlights everywhere it's probably not a big deal, but having light reflecting off the ground right in front of you will hurt your night vision.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Everyone in Canada has done it at a stop light. Nobody I know has done it at 100kph.

My dad used to do it all the time in the minivan, but the seating position was such that all you'd have to do was reach out and grab it, no need to hang out the window. I did it in that vehicle too, more than once on the highway. I could do it without taking my eyes off the road.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Sir Tonk posted:

So how long until all cars come will cell blocking tech built in? Do insurance companies have to start denying coverage if you were on your phone? Will the cops treat any usage like a DUI? Are the feds going to curtail allowable technology in car displays?

Its bad enough that companies require their employees to monitor email 24/7, without social media demanding constant attention as well.

Hell, I remember those PSAs in the 80s where a dude reached down to change the radio station and looked up to a girl walking across the street in front of his car. At least fiddling with the radio is a relatively mindless activity.

This is why touchscreens in cars are incredibly silly. Yes, let's put this thing that requires you to not only move your hand over to a button, but actually look to see what that button is, and where it is. Give me a tactile feedback interface I can use without looking away from the road (a quick glance is okay I guess) any day of the week.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

jammyozzy posted:

Yesterday evening *I* was that guy you all share the road with. Stuck in a column of cars waiting to get off the M6 at the next junction, checked my mirrors and when I looked back traffic was stopping in a hurry. Felt the ABS starting to kick in as I hit the brakes while consciously going "oh-poo poo oh-poo poo" when some unconcscious part of my mind had me spit the car out onto the hard shoulder. I ended up stopping a few metres short of the car in front and very sheepishly had to be let back into traffic. :doh:

Don't feel bad about this. You were concerned about your stopping distance, and used the shoulder out of concern for hitting the person in front of you, and it turned out not to be necessary. You did the right thing in that situation. I've certainly had a situation or two where I had to stand on the brakes because I was looking for a gap in traffic and the person in front stopped suddenly, and I've used the turning lane to avoid someone before (winter, black ice around where I started trying to stop, luckily had enough grip to get over).

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I live in a small town, and my house is on one of the main north/south roads. Co-worker comes up to me at work the other day and comments that I need to "not slow down so fast, I almost rear ended you on the way home when you turned into your driveway!"

No, you're just loving stupid and can't pay attention. Never mind that I was signaling way in advance. Just because my brake lights aren't on doesn't mean I'm not slowing down, I downshifted you fool. I was also watching my rearview and you looked up from your phone at the last second.

This from a co-worker I've had the pleasure of traveling with (for work) and seeing just how well they drive. Out of 18 hours of driving on that trip I did 16.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Back in Canada on long hauls along the 401, which in my part of the world is just four lanes through a crapload of granite and pine trees with rare exits to tiny towns, I used to regularly get zombies trailing along behind me for dozens of kilometers. If I sped up, they'd speed up, slow down they slow down, drift over the line they'd drift over the line too. When I noticed it happening, my favorite thing to do was to slowly lead them over to the rumble strips on the side of the highway, and watch in the mirror for them to suddenly jolt awake and swerve back into the road.

Maybe a dick move but I told myself I was just waking them up a little :v:

I do this too on the 401. Sup.

Also the 401 is horrendously boring.