Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I don't think I've ever been through a double turn lane intersection in any kind of traffic without seeing at least one person fail to stay in their correct lane. It's loving pandemic.

This can be pants-shittingly terrifying when you're on a motorcycle. The worst part is that after they do it, they typically act like you're in the wrong. I've even had a bro truck chase me down at the next redlight and yell at me for cutting him off when he moved from the left turn-lane all the way to the right most lane (3 lanes)... Thank god there is lane splitting in CA, I usually just try and get the hell away from people asap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I think a lot of people don't even consider how far it takes a vehicle to stop. They just assume they're safe because they're a pedestrian, and no one would dare hit a pedestrian, they'd get sued and go to jail and poo poo! They seem to assume that just because it's illegal means it's impossible and they're safe to do whatever the hell they feel like.

On the flip side, I walk across a very busy street probably 20 times a day for work. I wait for the cross-lights, I check both ways multiple times and I don't doddle in the crosswalk. Almost every day I have a close call. About 2 weeks ago I get the cross light and there is a car waiting to take a right beside me I look over and she waves at me to go ahead. I get about 8 feet off the curb and she guns it. She pulls out into the left lane (4 lane non-divided with a turn lane in between) I stopped so hard I fell towards her car and actually made contact with my chest, but manage to save myself by pushing off her rear passenger window. She didn't stop she just accelerated away as fast as possible. I was so stunned I didn't even have time to look at her plate, otherwise I'd have called it in as a hit & run.

Never ever assume it's safe, even if they see you. People just generally don't give a drat and will take your life over a 15 second delay in their day.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
This is probably more CA based material, but I'll share it here. I was riding in to work yesterday morning and came to a stop light behind traffic. I split up the center (legal, or technically not illegal here) with plenty of room on either side. While I'm passing a gold Mercedes wagon the woman pulls over to block me and gets close enough the she folds my side mirror up when she made contact. I pull in front of her and she jumps in the turn lane to her left and runs the red light to get away. I was pretty much in shock and didn't react. I'd like to have called the cops and reported a hit & run, but I didn't get a plate #. I was also hesitant to go after her or anything. She already assaulted me with a 2 ton hunk of metal unprovoked, I wasn't sure if she would do worse if I went after her. In the end I just rode the 1/2 mile to work and let it go.

I seriously think I'm going to pick up a Go-Pro.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I love and hate this thread. It's kind of making me realize I'm "that" rear end in a top hat. I came to that realization when my reason for not getting a dashcam was "I don't want to catch myself doing stupid poo poo". I generally ride a good bit faster than traffic to get into the open spaces between groups of cars. I don't lane-split moving traffic, but I will lane-split cars at stop lights. I guess I should ride like less of a dong.