Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

This rolled in this morning. Apparently it was making a strange sound yesterday then this morning on the way to work it started handling funny so she drove to the dealership 20+ miles away. Good thing the TPMS sensor was there, she likely knew she had a low tire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Depending on what route I take to/from work I drive under this bridge a few times a week - http://goo.gl/maps/qU4dF (check the street view)

Yesterday I apparently slowed down too much for the dip poo poo behind me. He lays on the horn then goes into the left lane to pass me as I'm turning to go under the bridge. Poor guy coming the other way had to do a panic swerve off the road (blowing out both passenger tires) to avoid being run into. There's an accident here at least every other week, usually single vehicle.

It's marked as a 10mph but so many people blow through it I usually avoid it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Dead Cow posted:

I wonder if GPS navigation has anything to do with it.

I think it's more likely cell phones and other distractions have a lot to do with it. People are too busy texting/talking/loving-around to pay attention to where they are or what is around them. Then they see the sign or something out of the corner of their eye and make a dive for the exit.

When I'm on the motorcycle I will not sit in the right lane unless my exit is within a 1/2 mile or so. Too many idiots doing stupid poo poo merging/exiting/panicking for me. I will sit in the left lane all day (moving over for faster traffic) on the bike, something I wouldn't do in a car.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Sitting at a light on the way into work today some guy decides he wants to sneak up the right side to make the turn instead of waiting. I'm four cars back and hugging the center line because I'm used to idiots doing this. Got uncomfortably close to my right rear corner but made it by only to drive off the side of the road a couple feet further. Looks like all the rain took out that ditch a little bit.

Horrible scraping sound then spinning tire when it high centered itself.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

nsaP posted:

Same thing happens at this on ramp if you're unlucky enough to be behind a van or large vehicle. They take that turn about 20mph, traffic goes 60-70 usually, and you have all of 100 feet to merge. That ramp scared me more than once but I did get to rev out 2nd in my lovely econocar.

Cross post from the CA rant thread...
Same issue here but the nice people that planned the roads didn't do much to help. Here's one of many such lovely on-ramps on this stretch of road, notice the 90 degree corner and very little space to get up to speed. Pellissippi is a 55 zone but if you're doing less than 70 you get passed constantly.

Also check out the nice side-road joining the off-ramp.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

MrYenko posted:

Related: at some point in the past, parents stopped telling their children that you don't walk down the middle of lanes in the parking lot. It's rampant down here, you'll be trying to move through a parking lot, and some mom-beast with three screaming kids will be slowly creeping towards the store, down the center of the parking lot movement lane. If I had done that as a child, my mother would have, and did several times, slap the living poo poo out of me.

Krakkles beat me but I have basic airhorns on my motorcycles and the VW, I will gladly honk at these idiots if they are waddling down the middle of the parking lot.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

8ender posted:

Someone I knew had a Tercel wagon out in B.C. with a log instead of the stock bumper. Peak west coast :canada: right there

I bought a beater Nissan Hardbody pickup from an old wood shop teacher several years ago to drive in the winter. It came with very nicely made 2x4/8 wood bumpers. Old ones rusted off so he went with what he had laying around.

When my brother totaled the truck running into a mailbox then telephone pole everyone at the scene was trying to figure out what else he hit because there were chunks of lumber all over. I miss that truck.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

A couple years ago I was behind a Lexus RX (a vehicle equipped with a heated windshield, I assume) where the lady driving it rolled down her drivers' door, leaned out and was thrashing the drivers' side windshield wiper at highway speeds to dislodge the ice crust.

This also happens if your heater isn't able to keep the cabin and windshield warm enough, something Dad and I found out in a blizzard in South Dakota a few years ago. Driving down the interstate being the only car on the road going about 30mph, every 10 minutes or so whoever wasn't driving would half way climb out to break the ice off the wipers. That was a long cold drive before we finally stopped for the night.

Later we found out the storm was also traveling at 30mph right along with us. We also discovered the heater couldn't keep up because the PO had removed the A/C equipment which left large holes in the firewall.

So yes we were the idiots you share the road with.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Ulfhednar posted:

Someone linked the dashcam talk forums a while back, and one of their users put a train horn on his Smart Fortwo, and it certainly gets the point across.

I run airhorns on all the motorcycles and multiple in the VW. Wouldn't have it any other way because people around here have their heads so far up their asses they wouldn't hear anything else.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Its not everyday someone spends the money to warn you they are a lovely driver. This guy never even reached 10mph under the speed limit, was all over the road and must have been resting on the brakes the whole time.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

xzzy posted:

There's a long stretch of road I'll drive sometimes that's about 20 miles of rolling hills.. about half a mile up one hill, half a mile down the other side, and then it's another hill.

Rather than try to keep a constant speed I just park my foot at a set throttle and let gravity do what it will. I pick up a bunch of speed going downhill then it all bleeds off by the time I get to the top of the next one. Unless there's a really tall hill I almost always end up at the same speed I started at.

Probably sucks for whoever gets stuck behind me though.

This is one thing I don't miss about the old VW diesel pickup. Long trips consisted of merge at full throttle in 4th gear with foot on floor then when you arrived at your destination you could lift. Stupid thing was so gutless you just kept your foot on the floor all the time. 70+mph at the bottom of hills and 40mph at the top, worse if you had a full tank of gas or decided to haul something in the bed.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Two fun ones this morning. First was some dip poo poo with no lights on while driving down a country road with no lighting. I'm riding along and something looks strange...oh yup this rear end in a top hat.

Then engine braking up to a long red light (just turned) some guy decides I'm slowing too slowly for him. Passes me on the shoulder then cuts back in front so he can slam on his brakes. I'm on the motorcycle so I just pass him and filter up to the front of the line to get away from the idiot.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

rscott posted:

How the hell do these people survive so long taking unprotected lefts without actually looking both ways?
Because there are still some people on the road that pay attention and don't want their car destroyed. There's been so many cases in the past month where if I hadn't done something both cars would have been wrecked.

I want to borrow my friends M939 (military 5-ton) again and just stop caring but my commute would take way too long if I had to explain why I ran over some rear end in a top hat who pulled out in front of me. I had way too much fun driving that thing through Atlanta.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

nsaP posted:

'Merica.

It's Kentucky.
Ah Kentucky, it's like a slightly more F'ed up Tennessee.

I got to do a panic stop on the bike yesterday when I was headed home. Come around the corner and there is a goat sleeping in the middle of the road. Best part the goat is a pet and chained to the back bumper of a car falling apart in the driveway, chain was just long enough to let the thing wander into the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

These are the people you share the road with. Not my picture but I felt it needed to be posted.