Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Negromancer posted:

I had some rear end in a top hat try to get hit by me last night when I was driving downtown around 8. It was raining a bit, but being Seattle you would think people would be used to it. Just cruising down the second to right lane at 65, when someone gets on i5 and decides they have to be in my lane despite there being no one else in the right lane. While going about 45mph. I saw him coming and still had to brake really drat hard to not drive into the back of him. I really need to order a dashcam....

Seriously, I see this poo poo all the loving time. And then you can't pass because some minivan is in the left lane going exactly the speed limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Spiffness posted:

Washington State Patrol will ticket you for driving in the left lane as long as there is no other traffic and you are on an empty stretch of road and they are looking for an excuse to pull you over and write a ticket. All other times, most importantly, rush hour, you are expected to drive in the left lane doing 50 no matter what traffic around you is like. You are also legally required to merge onto the highway at no more than 35 MPH and if approaching 5 miles of your exit slow down to 40 MPH no matter what lane you are in.

This is the Seattle/WA driving code.

Don't forget that if someone flashes their lights at you while travelling in the left lane, you're required to stomp on your breaks and prevent the person behind you from passing. The rest of it is spot on, and I'm thrilled to know that I'm not loving crazy.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

MrOnBicycle posted:

If you don't at least try to do this while taking your driving exam, you'll probably fail it over here. Part of the "eco driving" requirement, coupled with the "learn to anticipate and plan ahead" requirements. Well, maybe not coasting, but engine braking, not stopping unnecessarily and so on.

Edit: Ok, I'm exaggerating a bit. But eco driving is a pretty big part of the exam here.

Where the heck did you take this exam?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Das Volk posted:

Yeah what does that work out to, lewd conduct in public, harassment, public exposure... if you stay on top of the police it won't end well for him. That sounds like someone who is already/destined to be on the offender registry. If someone was pacing me in the other lane I'd plant it and be gone, personally, I don't know if I'd want to be around long enough for some psycho to decide to take it up a notch.

There's got to be a reckless driving charge in there as well. Or at the very least, "Distracted" Driving.

goatse guy, that's some scary poo poo and I'm really sorry you had to deal with that. :(

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Ror posted:

High probability that it's flat out illegal. A bunch of good samaritans have been ticketed for directing traffic after lights go out. There are some crossing guard exceptions, but crossing guards are for pedestrians. If they stoppage is just to let cars out then they're just taking advantage of the school zone.

I'd be really tempted to give my horn a workout until this person moved. Either that, or call the police and report some random person standing in the middle of the road blocking traffic.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

xzzy posted:

There was a report I read on the phenomena a ways back but I can't find it now.. there's a generation of kids forming that don't give a poo poo about cars at all.

Or a whole bunch of people graduated high school and college during the worst recession since 1929. I'm sure this report also talked about how younger adults live with mom and dad, and forgo other milestone activities like marriage, buying a house and having children until much later in life.

What do all these things have in common?

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 22, 2014

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I think you should start taking pictures of the vehicles, license plates, drivers and damage to your yard. Do you call the police when there are people parked in the no parking area? The non-emergency number would be perfect for this and I would hope after several calls someone would come out and hand out a ticket or something.

Christ, what makes people think they can just gently caress up your yard or block you from your house just so they can pick up their kids?

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 1, 2014

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

xzzy posted:

I lost count a long time ago how many bro trucks and pseudo Jeeps I've pissed off for blazing past them in a FWD hatchback. Soon as my A pillar passes theirs you can hear them drop the hammer.

And seriously, what in the gently caress is up with this? I see it all the time in clear/slightly rainy weather here as well. It's some shithead in a truck or SUV going slow in the left lane. I get going to pass them and they suddenly start pacing me and preventing me from passing. Then they slow down again.

Hell, I had a Camry filled with an entire family do this and once I hit 85 and saw the driver screaming and shaking his fist at me I backed off. Then he went back to "slow as gently caress".

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

El Jebus posted:

Since it doesn't snow here (Palm Springs, CA), that isn't usually a problem. Our issue is 3 Cadillacs, one in each lane, all going 10-15 mph lower than the speed limit. No one can pass, they can't hear you honk or see your brights, and you can see miles of clear road ahead of them. Then the moment you find a gap, another old person pulls out right in front of you and never accelerates so you get stuck behind the original 3 cars again.

Yeah, I see this from time to time, but it's always a Prius or a beater Outback. "I'm saving fuel and ignoring the state laws requiring me to keep right except to pass and to pull over when there five or more cars behind me at the same time!"

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Crotch Fruit posted:

I too value my life more than a day of work, unfortunately my wife's boss has made it very clear if anyone calls in for weather related reasons there will be consequences. So I get the joy of attempting to driving back to her place of work to pick her up after the snow gets deep.

When officials start calling for folks to stay off the roads, you should call the non-emergency line and rat out your wife's boss. I'm sure a few first responders would love to have a word with the kind of rear end in a top hat that forces people to put themselves in danger.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Snowdens Secret posted:

I don't think he said what his wife did for a living. Plenty of jobs require continuous coverage, and person X not showing up means person Y doesn't get to go home, or the rest of the shift has to pick up the slack on an especially busy day - anything power company related, hospitals, etc. You want those guys to get to work and back, and do it safely.

This is a fairly important exception, I agree. I just hear too many stories where it's a customer service call center, shop at the mall or pizza delivery service. You end up with one rear end in a top hat of a manager that can't bear to close shop because reasons and if you don't have the dedication to you minimum wage, no benefits job then you're just not a team player. Those are the folks I had in mind.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Not to mention the fact that if the weather is bad enough for you to want to stay home, once you do get to work, there's usually not poo poo to be done because everyone else has stayed home.

I think my favorite situation are the folks who are able and equipped to work from home, but aren't allowed to for reasons. I had a second level manager that insisted we come in instead of working from home. It was really stupid.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

8ender posted:

This is super disruptive in the winter when lit brake lights on the highway usually mean holy poo poo I've hit some nasty patch of ice/snow/wreckage.

nsaP posted:

I left foot brake sometimes and its okay. I don't ride it so I don't see the big deal.

Did you not read Bender's post or what?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

GramCracker posted:

I've only made it to page 42 of this thread so far, and god drat there are some morons out there in the world after reading all of your experiences (not to say I don't constantly see idiots in my corner of CT, because I do).

Yesterday I get off exit 7 on I-95 on my way home from work, pull up to a red light behind some shitbox. Light turns green and I notice the reverse lights on the car in front of me quickly flash and then the car starts moving :raise: We both take a right at the light and get to another intersection with a red light. Light goes green and cue the same thing happening again to the shitbox in front of me :crossarms: Turns out this shitlord is SO LAZY that they can't be bothered to hold their foot on the brake at red lights, so much so that they choose to put the car IN PARK each time. :wtc:

Also, this thread has made me want a dash cam more than anything. Seriously, it blows my mind how 95% of people on the road have a drivers license. Very few people seem to understand that they are driving almost a ton of metal that CAN KILL PEOPLE.

edit: Also, I loving HATE mini vans and their poo poo brained drivers.

Wait, at long lights I'll put my car in park, am I endangering myself or others in some way?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Can anybody come up with a good explanation for why everybody at work seems to run out to their cars at the end of the shift, start the engine, immediately shift to reverse, then just sit there for several minutes?

200+ cars all sitting in place with their reverse lights on. People are just reversing from every direction without warning (since the reverse lights have no meaning when everyone has them on at all times) on top of everyone ignoring the lanes and cutting across aisles, so the end of every work day is a loving demolition derby for me.

What is this weird, lovely driving habit that makes sitting in reverse with the pedals in less work than leaving it in park/neutral, and how am I only person who doesn't do it?

Sounds like you work where I do, where third shift just sits there for no good reason while first shift is driving around fighting each other for parking spaces. I don't loving get it, you're off the clock so get the gently caress out!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I want to give a hearty "gently caress you" to the red Subaru Forester that sped up to prevent me from merging onto a two lane (no passing allowed) road, and then proceeded to go ten under the speed limit for a few miles. You passed several speed limit signs, ignored them, and then proceeded to perform an emergency stop when I flashed my lights once.

I hope your head gaskets blow and make you late to your vegan hot yoga class. gently caress you, you inconsiderate piece of poo poo.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The Euro cars with the two-stage brake lights are starting to teach me just how many people on my morning commute bomb up to a stopped car with little/no braking and then slam the brake pedal to the floor at the last second on ice.

There was some lady in front of me with a Volvo who went to panic brake mode even trying to maintain normal street speed while rolling downhill. You could see the brake lights cascade through the "normal braking" mode and straight into "oh poo poo" every time she went near the pedal.

Those always seem to be the same kind of people that slam on their brakes because the car in front of them is 3 seconds ahead instead of 4-5.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

MrYenko posted:

In a perfect world, every time three lanes has to merge down to two, or two to one, there would be three warning signs. At the first one would be a giant flailing arm inflatable tube man, to draw attention. At the second one would be a thirty foot tall grim reaper, holding the "Right Lane Closes, Merge left" sign in his bony hands, out over the lanes.

At the final, scrolling-lamp erectable traffic sign would be a tractor trailer full of RPGs, and a single man standing in the back. Any car that he witnesses diving right, because the line is shorter, gets a godamned RPG through the windshield.

Isn't zipper merging more efficient because you don't end up with a huge backup?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

AlternateAccount posted:

This is such a bullshit mythical concept. "Isn't full communism the most egalitarian distribution of resources?" Yeah sure maybe whatever but uhhhh...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcPby71TNC0

No need to get angry here buddy. Why don't you explain to me what's so awful about "taking turns" that is better than having a huge backup because everyone merged way too early instead?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

xzzy posted:

I'm not sure a video that shows traffic moving at a crawl for both merge styles is all that useful in this debate, other than proving that merges are terrible things.

The point isn't that it's faster but rather that it takes up a shorter length of road. This reduces the overall impact of a lane closure for everyone.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 12, 2014

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Elephanthead posted:

How does someone force you off the road? The correct thing to do is maintain your lane integrity and let them hit you if you cannot slow down enough to avoid the accident. You swerving off the road is your own fault. Defensive driving though keeps you out of those situations if you maintain your no dent space.

I had a prius try to ram into the front passenger corner of my jeep several times at speed. It didn't matter that I was backing off or going at speed, this loving poo poo wouldn't leave me the gently caress alone. It's scary as gently caress when it happens, because you aren't expecting something straight out of a movie chase scene.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I saw the craziest thing yesterday here in WA. I'm in the HOV lane, and this large Suburban with CA plates is coming up in the passing lane at speed. After giving enough room to clear the bus to his right, he signals clearly and proceeds to leave the passing lane back into a traveling lane, leaving the left most lane clear for others who needed to pass.

I wanted to give that man a cookie.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Krakkles posted:

Agreed completely, and those laws should be more prevalent than they are.

If you drive with your dog, or your iPad, or your phone, or your kid in your lap, you're a dipshit.

That poo poo is illegal here in Washington, yet you see that poo poo All The loving Time.

There's a ton of room in your Outback for your pet, quit loving around.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

They really should put spikes on off-ramps, I don't care how much it costs to maintain.

So long as you can disable them in emergency situations (contra flow comes to mind), that's a really badass idea.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

LloydDobler posted:

I have stopped flashing people because people seem to take it as a sign of hostility now. I mean, it makes sense. If they're unfamiliar enough with the rules of the road that they park in the left lane, they're too ignorant to know that flashing means "excuse me". I can't tell you how many times I've flashed someone, they do nothing, and when I finally pass on the right they then flash me back as if it's the same thing as a flipoff or something.

Here in the Seattle area, folks take a friendly flash of the lights as an excuse to slam on the brakes at speed and if they're real assholes they'll move from lane to lane to make sure you cannot pass them.

Then you hear the same people on the radio or tv going ":ohdear: I was minding my own business just under the speed limit and this aggressive driver was behind me. He flashed his lights at me :ohdear: he was so aggressive! So I did what any right minded person would do and I slowed down [really loving fast almost causing an accident] and taught them a valuable lesson! What's the rush for, there's no reason anyone needs to travel faster than I am!:ohdear:

Then they go on to complain about having to pull over when there are five+ vehicles behind them (as state law says) even if "they're mostly going the speed limit". loving christ.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Can someone explain to me what is so loving difficult to understand about the following sign?

I can't tell you how many times I'm entering the added lane and someone in front of me stops for traffic in the next lane. There's no need to stop, you have your own drat lane!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Murphys Law posted:

This one made me happy. I wouldn't mind seeing a crack down on it in my state. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlfAhk6JXgQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIA2pueFMh4

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Curtsy of the Onion:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Solar Coaster posted:

This has been asked many times on local papers and news. Some of the responses said "speed limit is 60 so I am doing the speed limit". They literally play a passive aggressive traffic cop. And god help you when you try to pass these assholes.

They also refuse to pull over for emergency vehicles.

Watch those stupid fuckers scream every time you mention that WA state is a "keep right except to pass state". The legal text even includes an amendment from the legislature stating in plain English that the primary intent of the left lane is for passing.

Even on this forum folks will argue that into the ground until you post the WSP video about how they ticket folks for doing that.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

xzzy posted:

Nah, people in pristine vehicles drive like shitheads too.

Basically if they have opposable thumbs there's a good chance they're a bad driver.

*Checks hands*

poo poo!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Geirskogul posted:

This happens daily to me. When I'm driving an ambulance.

This is insane to me, because if you follow a lone ambulance, you get to go through every light and traffic and so on.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Michael Scott posted:

I'd love functionality that would allow the driver to change the light sensitivity setting for automatic lights. Not sure if any manufacturers have implemented that.

I know for my car it can be changed at the dealership by plugging in a cable. I realize that's a pain in the rear end, but if you happen to be there for something else that might help.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Michael Scott posted:

Yup, I try and save brakes this way by in effect stopping sooner so I don't slowly roll for a minute long at every stoplight like you'll see people do. And then there are people who will inch forward at a stoplight too, which is equally annoying. Who knows if it has any quantifiable effect on brake life though?

I'm the annoying hypermiler you drive with by the way. I will coast up to reds at 20MPH on a 30MPH street (I would never do that with a green in front of me), people behind me will change lanes, aggressively accelerate to 35, get in front of me, then stop at the red. I'm good enough at it that I have many of my area's light timings memorized as well to race short greens and to see if it's worth it to coast to the red.

The reason they get in front of you isn't because they think they can beat the light, but because they think you're going to accelerate like a snail and go way under the speed limit. So either they pass you when they can or they take the chance of someone else deciding to have a long chat of the phone and blocking you from passing.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Raluek posted:

Is it really that unreasonable to coast towards a red light? If I'm a block or so away from a red it seems silly to charge towards it like everyone else, especially if I can see that the turn lanes haven't gone yet. But people are so impatient to get to that red light! Hurry up and wait!

You have to look at it in the context of local conditions. How large are your blocks? How slow are you coasting? Stuff like that.

I'm in the Seattle/Everett area, so when I hear people talking about hypermilling and coasting to lights, I picture a Subaru Outback that's meekly puttering around at 5 under "for safety" when traffic is 8+ over. That is until they spy a red light in the far distance, slam on their brakes "for safety" and then coasts at nearly idle all the way to the light. So yeah, I'm going to changes lanes, because I don't have time for that milquetoast crap. Either that, or they're on the phone and old enough to know better.

You can just imagine what it's like when more than one drive side by side.

I trust you're not like this, but if conditions allow and I see signs that point to this behavior, I just get around them. Your conditions may be different than mine.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

VikingSkull posted:

Man, I get this all the time in my Ram. Regular lights, not highs, aimed properly, fogs off. Then someone flashes their highs at me. Drive a bit, no cop or anything, what the gently caress.

Then as I drove my mom's Corolla and a truck passed me, it dawned on me, "yeah big trucks shine their lights right in your eyes"

Now when people flash theirs at me I flash mine back.

Yeah, that's something I discovered in my BRZ. It's the perfect height for those lights to hit my rear view mirror. >.<

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
With regards to speedbump chat, aren't they a huge pain in the rear end/dangerous to emergency vehicles traveling at speed?

EDIT: Beaten a wee bit I guess!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

PT6A posted:

I dunno, it's kind of like the Baby on Board signs. Oh, well, I was going to drive unsafely and then ram into your car, but now that I see that sign, I'll be more cautious. Any time you're driving through a residential area, there's a very good chance children will be playing and you would be well-advised to drive in a manner that reflects that. If you need an extra sign to tell you so, you're a poo poo driver who shouldn't have a license.

I hate those loving signs.

"LOOK AT ME I FIGURED OUT HOW TO FIT TAB A INTO SLOT B!!"

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

wolrah posted:

Wouldn't the hipster drive the PT Cruiser as-is "ironically" or whatever? I see it as more of a sleeper, basically the small FWD equivalent of a Roadmaster Wagon with an LS swap. I used to want to do a first-gen Caravan with the Shelby Daytona motor, but the time where those shells were cheap and plentiful has long since passed in road salt country so the PT+SRT4 combo is basically the more readily available equivalent.

I'd still do it with the van too, but given the chassis similarity I assume the PT would be a lot easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78InPT4iqlw

Is there anything else a stupidly powerful PT Cruiser would be good for? I'm pretty sure they've got a beam axle out back so that + convertible has to = hilarious handling so it's probably best kept in a roughly straight line.

Don't forget this classic: Turbo Minivan!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

waffle iron posted:

Any opinions on salt brine? I've seen news stories about road crews in the northeast that use it but none local to me.

They use it here in the PNW on bridges and corners as a preventative measure, and it works out really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

BraveUlysses posted:

I don't think that's salt brine, it's some sort of chemical (that smells kinda like ammonia to me).

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/winter/anti.htm

Ah, thanks for the heads up!