Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Powershift posted:

Saw a new one today. coming up to a red light, the guy in front of me turned right onto a side street, immediately did a u-turn in the middle of that street, and then turned right back onto the street on the other side of the light.

Like he thinks he discovered some crazy loophole where he didn't just run a red light, he made 2 legal turns and one crazy u-turn in the middle of the side street.

I'll do this at certain lights that take forever if you miss them but for whatever reason have little traffic coming from the right. Feels good man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

In CA the carpool fine is ~$500, but it's not a moving violation and it doesn't count as points on your license. Once I realized that, I did the math and decided it would probably pay for itself in gas / wear and tear vs being in stop and go traffic, let alone my time. Never actually had to pay a ticket for it, but had a cop write one then not put it in the system, then another cop try to pull me over from the shoulder but he dropped his bike into the carpool lane lol.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I don't mean he fell off his bike as he was riding, he was standing next to it and tried to jump on it, hosed up, then dropped it. I could see that he was fine, but I was doing freeway speeds when it happened so wasn't like I could just pull over and help out. Not like I was trying to knock him over, he just slipped because it was lightly misting.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

As Aaliyah said, lanes ain't nothing but a number. I thought this was automotive insanity, not automotive follow all the rules.

(My commute took me the entire length of a freeway, with most of the traffic being people taking interconnecting freeways in the first 2/3 of the drive. Since the carpool lane was always very light in cars, taking that past all the connections wouldn't have slowed down any cars in the carpool lane, and I didn't cause any slowdowns like others did who had to get out into the traffic to make their connection. )

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

sneakyfrog posted:

Aggressively ticketing slower traffic that doesnt keep right would make me a very happy frog.

That would probably cut down on the number of accidents too, at least for LA drivers.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

This is probably the more obscene version of the kiss, but I do a "suck it" motion of pushing their imaginary head up and down in my lap (while mouthing suck it).

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

He probably knew your hobbies.

efb

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

How much do those graders weigh? It doesn't look that big, I'm shocked at the difference between the truck and the grader. I'm assuming the truck was going roughly 200mph, based on the damage.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I wonder why all her videos have the comments disabled...

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

nsaP posted:

In fact the only thing that I've seen hit her was a branch. That she saw, and drove straight in to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjWiGD3Amtc

This may be one of my favorites, the fact that it starts with her completely stopped then she just accelerates into is cracking me up

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

PenisMonkey posted:

Yeah she sucks. And is an rear end in a top hat.

https://youtu.be/G8t1E1GvIKM

That's the Whole Foods in Sherman Oaks, so I guess any AI people who live on the west side should keep your eye out for someone with a mobility scooter and a GoPro.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I think they made changes to it, but Waze used to do poo poo like direct you to make a left turn onto one of the busiest streets in LA, at rush hour, at places without a light and where the cross traffic never stops. Then you'd realize it was trying to do some dumb poo poo to save you 30 seconds, and if you had just continued on your usual route you'd already be farther along.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

PT6A posted:

Also: our Lord GOD gave us the reverse gear, in His infinite mercy, so we could back into places easily, not back out of them. Driving vehicles without the ability to back up teaches you some things about where and how things should be parked.

Conversely, every person who backs into a spot in a parking garage takes way longer than it would it take to just back out later, I hate it when people fancy park. 99% of the people that do it are absolutely horrible at it.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Do you guys never drive in crowded parking garages? In an ideal world where people can drive, maybe backing in makes sense, but a lot of the garages around here have a no backing in policy because it majorly fucks things up in the morning when some guy who needs to park hard takes 4 tries to get it right. Also, for tighter spots your average driver is more likely to ding the neighboring car backing in than they will backing out.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

3rd'ing cops, especially on routes where you know you're going to be speeding but there are often speed traps

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

FBS posted:

hot and fresh from the front of Reddit

https://i.imgur.com/l3S451G.gifv

It's beautiful

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I was so happy when the Lexus SUV (? I don't think so, but I'm not sure what it is) finally hit the truck and it wasn't the trucker's fault

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I can't believe how messed up that truck is, she really must have been flying down the road

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Reminds me of the school bus which had an issue with a lady driving around them while stopped - even mounting the footpath - so she wouldn't have to stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UTM40K53K8&t=21s

Not going to lie, that was a power move and I respect her for it

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Devor posted:

Is that traffic signal purple? The speed limit has “i” in it. What does an imaginary speed limit mean?

I'm pretty sure they're already intentionally doing that with some of the new signals they put in my area, it ends up being hard to see if it's green until you get fairly close to it, which I imagine is designed to slow you down.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I have questions

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm shocked none of the cars have mysteriously burned down yet

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It's pouring in LA this morning so I had a number of people going 25 in a 40 (on a street where people are usually doing 55 when it's dry) and generally holding up traffic, but the odd thing was every car that really sucked also didn't have their lights on. I'm used to people in LA not putting on lights when it's raining, but you'd think if you're that terrified of some water you'd want every advantage and put your lights on.

Or it could just be that when you suck at driving, you REALLY suck at all parts of driving

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/CHellerTVNews/status/1082803385667973120

Overturned car in a parking lot, along with a critically injured cyclist. No idea what happened, but overturning your vehicle at parking lot speeds is pretty impressive.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/CityAdrian/status/1088173713093058561

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I ignore a red left turn signal near my house to get on the freeway when the light is green to go straight, but it's one that really doesn't need to be there. You can easily see there are no cars coming, so why sit there and wait for minutes.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Well this is terrifying

https://twitter.com/LAPDVTD/status/1093571432221683712

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I saw a variation of the incher the other day where they left a huge amount of room, then would go up a foot or two, then stop for 10 seconds, then go up, then stop. It was more irritating than the slow inching, but I just leave the gap until it's time to go.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Worse, because we shouldn't need that crap to protect idiots. Same goes for anything like auto braking or lane departure - pay the gently caress attention & we can stop pandering to dipshits. Take those features out & let natural selection do its job.

I'm waiting for those features to be on all vehicles so I'm less likely to be taken out on my bike by someone in a car not paying attention. The closest I've come to getting hit so far is a lady in a SUV who was picking her nose and veered into the carpool lane. I guess that's better than her sucking because she was texting?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

You're not even supposed to be standing when you do nitrous, let alone driving.

Missing the R here, or not? Works either way

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It doesn't matter how slow you're currently going, make sure to always slam on your brakes and drop your speed by 10mph if you see a cop.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Pfft. Amateurs. Wait until they don't numb your nutsack before a vasectomy. I wish I had a NoS button for my dick region when that happened.

How and why would that happen?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

But that would make driving in the carpool lane by yourself no longer economically viable, and that's like cheat mode for southern california traffic

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Lamborghini doing 100mph down the street hits a Jeep, then a tree - I'm impressed the guy driving the Jeep only had minor injuries. I'm assuming they must have just barely clipped him.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Just wait until you find out how well cops shoot

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I would say we'd all benefit from scooters/motorcycles for commuting, but I've been to Vietnam and it turns out you can still have horrible scooter traffic.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Went to a restaurant tonight and had to park kind of far away on a street where the cars parked probably weren't at the same place. I parked behind a car and left plenty of room, no one behind me. I get back to my car and there's a different car in front of me and a new car behind me, both parked CLOSE to my car. I ended up just going slowly forward and back until I bumped into each car, after hitting each car four times I had enough to just barely scrape by the car in front of me without putting a nice long scrape on it. I'm not sure what else I'm supposed to do to get out of that situation? I doubt it even left a mark because I went so slow, but if you're going to pull that close to me I also don't care if it did. I'm just thankful I was in my wife's beat up car rather than my newer car.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I should have clarified I went back and forth an untold number of times trying to get just enough room, but I don't have any kind of sensors that beep so eventually I just went until it bumped because I wasn't making much progress.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Strangely I've only seen those bumper protectors in NY, does any other city use them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

The problem is they put the escape lane on the wrong side of the road