Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
This is more of a "people you share street parking with".

A silver Toyota parked behind me yesterday and apparently wasn't impressed with my unmolested bumper. Fellow was kind enough to not only leave a nice crack in it when he drove off this AM, but a big smear of silver paint was left as a new aesthetic "feature" to my car. Lucky for me, Toyota driver didn't leave a note and left the scene of an accident... Imagine my surprise when I returned home to find that our paint-swapping friend had parked near the same spot, only now with a few streaks of Honda's finest vintage of 2003 "Desert Mist" adorning his front clip.

Thought about leaving a note, but this rear end in a top hat wasn't going to leave his info this morning so I doubt I'd get it now. Must have missed the whole California Vehicular Code 20002 "Hit & Run" thing in the drivers test? Have fun with a that misdemeanor and State issued fine, fucko.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

sirbeefalot posted:

Rainy L.A. chat:banjo:

Saw not just 1, but 5 SUV's that managed to hydroplane off the highway on my way to work this morning.

Nothin's gonna stop my Murano!!!! *vroom vroom* SMASH!!!

:downsbravo:

This was over the course of a 30 minute commute... Crazy what the wet stuff does to this city. It's a whole new level of stupid.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

Satellit3 posted:

I've heard that this is very nice to gas mileage. I do it when away from traffic sometimes.

*gas-sipper chat*

You know, I've actually gotten pretty decent mileage during my bi-monthly drives between L.A. and Las Vegas by maintaining speed and downshifting when going up hills. You raise the RPM of the engine, but you don't bury your foot into the pedal trying to maintain speed. Completely anecdotal, I know, but I've made that trip more than once on just over 6 gallons of gas. (~270 miles one-way. I average 30 mpg in stop and go traffic for reference.)

I'm the skinflint you share the road with.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
I'd never heard of lane numbers until I moved to CA. (Just inside/outside lanes.) #1 is the far left here and it is by no means a "passing" lane in this whole loving state. The CA DMV even recommends lane splitting between 1 and 2 because it's safer[/]. Their reasoning being that it's safer than splitting near onramp/offramp mergers (makes sense), but it seems to breed a mentality of "left lane = travel lane" because NOBODY leaves that lane until they have to exit.

Nothing worse than coming up on a wall of cars with some dick in the left lane pacing 6 lanes of traffic. If there's nothing but road out front and a line of cars in the rear view, move over! Not only is it the safest thing to do, but it's just common loving manners. Would you just obstruct a line of people walking down the sidewalk? No, you wouldn't. Because your rear end would get trampled. If you're uncomfortable going faster than the rest of traffic you have no business being in that lane to begin with. You've got cars flying around your biggest blind spots, not to mention all the road rage you breed... Which brings me to the fact that I totally understand the rage of coming up on a bumper doing 15 under. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do other than wait for a spot to open up and pass. Tailgaters are the worst, though.

Come up on my rear end when I'm 10 cars back in a line of traffic? gently caress you. I'll just coast until that whole line of 30 cars to the right passes [i]you
by. Neither of us were getting anywhere fast anyway... just like all the other people in front of us. It's California, there's always traffic. If you were that important, it would be your chauffeur sitting in this traffic and not you.

:ca:

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

xzzy posted:

If you bring up the map of the accident location and compare to landmarks in the video, he travels roughly 475 feet in roughly 2 seconds.. which if you do the math is pretty close to 140 mph.

It's a wide angle camera showing some rolling shutter, it's hard to guess how fast stuff is moving just by eyeballing it.

Makes sense as to why the Mazda looks almost stationary, too. If the Mazda was doing 70, the bike was still going 70 mph faster than the Mazda... :stare:

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

Willfrey posted:

Saw some content today. Note the tread marks.

Parking's Hard

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

AncientTV posted:

This one's even worse. I've personally witnessed three accidents and dozens of near misses here:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1...5381270613746d7

That's loving terrible. The median(s) just serves to make the intersection more confusing. The way this is set up, a left from the strip mall puts you through four lanes of eastbound traffic before you make it to your westbound lane. (Which is a dedicated thru lane no less.) Good luck if you want to make it straight across to Bartram. It's like somebody played Frogger and thought the point was to murder the frog...

Why wouldn't they just do a middle lane with yellow outer solid/inner dashed lines? It would at least give you the opportunity to travel through one direction of traffic and wait for a spot to open up in the other.

Oh I know why. Merging doesn't matter when you're Twittering your FourSquare to Pintrest. We'd manage to murder vehicular manslaughter each other anyway.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
That crazy lady reminded me of something bizarre that happened a few weeks ago:

I was in a huge line of cars waiting to make a right onto an on-ramp. The car behind me leaves enough "space" and gets cut off by some dude too important to wait in line. At this point, I'm at least 20 cars or so from the on-ramp. Traffic is still stop/go-stop/go as the line creeps foward.

Too important dude immediately starts what I can only describe as the schizophrenic swap of horn beeps and high beam flashes. I can see in my rear view that he's not shouting or anything, just agressively riding my rear end and honking/beeping. I'm thinking I have a flat or there's an emergency. But there's no way he could see my tires with his front bumper buried up my rear end, and if he had an emergency, why did he cut in so far back from the ramp?

The honk/flash continues as we slowly make our way to the on-ramp and I'm getting really weirded out by the whole situation. I decide if I actually have a flat, I'll feel it once I hit the on-ramp and my car starts moving. I can either then pull over or, alternatively, let psychopath around me and he can carry on his merry-loving-way.

I get to the on-ramp, car feels fine and I just let this guy pass me. He flys up my left side and immediately cuts into freeway traffic. I write him off as just another self-important dickhead. Instead of continuing on though, he stays in the lane where he just cut in and starts the honking/beeping poo poo with the new guy in front of him.

He's doing this in the far right lane. (US) We're now on a 6 lane highway in semi-light traffic, so it's not like he can't use one of the other 5 lanes to pass...

I end up in his vicinity for a few miles. He does the beep/honk/ride rear end to a few different cars. Almost like he's trying to antagonize other cars into stoping. Nobody took the bait, though, and he just left the freeway a few exits later.

I guess he could have been having electrical problems, but it seems unlikely paired with his driving like such a oval office. Is suicide-by-road-rage a thing?

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

nm posted:

She is blaming the owner's boyfriend for calling 911.

Also mad at the boyfriend for following the kid.

TFA posted:

He had no right to chase my son, which it could have been a situation. [sic] Maybe it could have been just a joyride down the street. Maybe he wanted to go farther than he felt like walking,

Maybe your kid is a shithead?

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
They would both be at fault. Nissan for "failure to observe right of way" or however it's written, and bimmer for careless driving.

Who's more at fault would be determined by blood-sucking lawyers in a court of competent jurisdiction.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

A buddy of mine who's big into hot hatches has a disabled badge because his hip is hosed up and he can't walk long distances. He gets so many sideways glances from people who just see a twentysomething guy in a loud car pull into a disabled bay and walk inside and don't realise he spent 2 years in a wheelchair and getting to park by the door is the difference between him being able to do his shopping and go home like a normal person or spending the rest of the day popping painkillers and aching.

This. Friend of a friend lost both legs below the knee and had handicap plates on his Caddy. With much practice he was able to eventually able to walk unassisted on his prosthetics, but standing/walking for lengths of time could be uncomfortable if not painful. One day, some blue-hair saw this twentysomething guy with his two buddies park "his grandpa's" car in her spot and called the Police. Imagine the look on her face when, with Police and on-lookers present, this guy pops his door open, sits down, and removes two shoes. With calves attached.

I don't recall exactly what he said at that moment, but it was something along the lines of, "Is this handicap enough, you nosy bitch?"

So yeah, a handicap isn't always obvious. gently caress heads using a placard for princess parking is lovely and they deserve all the fines and public ridicule we can throw at them. But stereotyping handicap as an age or vehicle is also kinda lovely. If you suspect somebody is abusing the system absolutely report it. Believe it or not, most municipalities take this chickenshit behavior semi-seriously.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Yeah lane splitting is legal and works ok* for the most part. The DMV has general rules like "only in slow moving traffic", "split the left-most" lanes, and "proceed at your own peril".

*This is entirely subjective and depends on your value of human life. In 5 years I've witnessed more cyclists surf concrete than I have car accidents in my entire life.

Look twice for motorcycles.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Your XP box probably has Windows Movie Maker pre-installed. If not, you can dl it for free.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Low-profile indeed...

The cavernous gap between the wheel well and the tire makes it look like the tire was originally much bigger. Almost like they've been pulling sheets of rubber off ala a roll of TP.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
There's a dash can thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php

The G1W seems to be goon-preferred, but give that a read through for all the recommends.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

ijustam posted:

Brotruck rage against a Rolls Royce: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCzN1lBvVgA

I drive this stretch of highway everyday and trust me when I tell you this is the lowest rung of chuckle-fuckery I see on a near weekly basis. loving L.A.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
I was thinking along the lines of a more ironic, Twilight Zone type justice. Like, tomorrow he wakes up in a universe without parking lines, or a society in which door dings are desirable.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Going through your insurance on this sounds like a waste of time. Your still out of pocket either way. The damage is equal to the deductible so the financial burden still falls all on you. Also, since they aren't paying out on anything, there's 0 reason for them to sue this lady for damages.

IANAL, but here's what I would do in your situation:

Gather up the police report and body shop estimate. Send them via Certified Mail with Signature Confirmation along with a letter asking (or demanding, as you see fit) for a money order (no checks) in the amount listed for repairs. In the letter, also include that you are allowing 10 businesses days from date of confirmation of receipt for a response. (You're asking for response within that time, not necessarily payment.) Keep copies of all this stuff.

Wait the 10 business days & hopefully payment or a response letter shows up. If nothing comes back, you at least have a stack of papers that can help in small claims and are free to pursue however you see fit. Be sure to keep track of any out of pocket costs like time missed at work, mailing expenses, etc, since you could try and include those in your small claims suit.

She very well could be in a precarious financial situation. Sending the letter at least gives her an opportunity to make arrangements with you before going in front of a judge. It's very well possible you will never see a dime, but you at least gave her the opportunity to make things right without it resulting in a lien or judgment against her.

bigman.50grand fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
You can tow more weight than the bed can carry. But if they were worried about weight distribution, the gravel would have been at the front of the trailer instead of the back. So the answer is a combination of lazy and

Powershift posted:

Probably didn't want to scratch the factory bedliner :haw: