Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I was driving a Mercedes R230 recently, just tooling around trying to get emissions monitors to set, and the thing had the cruise control on a stalk right where the turn signal stalk is on everything else, so every time I tried to signal a right turn the van would make a bumpy acceleration hop. The turn signal stalk was hiding several inches back and down in exactly the same plane, so the cruise stalk was hard to avoid even when I remembered it was not the right thing to nudge. The gearshift was the stalk on the right, but instead of the column shifter you might be expecting, it was "bump Up for Reverse, Down for Drive, and Press In Towards Column for Park". I have no idea where the wipers were.

My point here is that anyone who learned to drive on that thing would probably look at a normal car's layout in :psyduck:-grade terror. It has a button that does nothing but open the rear windows (both of them, no option) and a button next to it that closes them. Sounds okay, yeah? Thing is, the "Close" button also opened them, like a lift with a lone "Up" button and right next to it a normal set of "Up" and "Down" buttons. Also, neither button worked unless the vehicle was parked, due to the extreme danger of opening or closing a window while moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Friar Zucchini posted:

Do you mean that there's a separate stalk for the cruise control, or that the cruise control is where the turn signal normally is and the turn signal is somewhere else? The turn signal stalk on mine also has controls for cruise control (switch near the end and a button inside the end), wipers (twist a section of the stalk) and high beams (push forward and release to switch from low to high beam and back again).

I mean there is a separate stalk (which blocks the turn signal stalk) for cruise control that does:

Up = increase speed setpoint
Down = decrease speed setpoint
Pull = resume previous speed
Push = turn off

Up, Down, and Pull all activate cruise any time they're touched, there is no hard off switch. By the end of the drive it had become a habit to push that stalk after every turn, just in case.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

That was the only really great part about that movie

You're wrong, Bearfucker is a genuine goddamned cinema treasure and it's pretty late in the film.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Yeah, a shakey headlight behind me is the thing I hate the most on the road. It's nauseating.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Worth noting that in my Volvo owner's manual, it specifically states in caps that the use of the rear fog switch is completely illegal in the US (circa 1989), and that they were left on the car as vestigial organs to be used only in situations where you are significantly more worried about immediate death than getting a ticket.

I've used them in heavy downpours occasionally, whenever the visibility is under ~25 feet or so. I try to avoid using them, not because I am worried about blinding people (although that's a fine secondary concern), but because they're so loving bright that I am actually really worried they'll melt the housings if I leave them on for too long.

It's like burning part of the ship to fuel the boiler. :3:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Shin-chan posted:

This (illegality) can't be true because I owned a 2002 Olds Aurora and it had twin rear fog lamps. If it were against regulations it wouldn't be allowed to be imported or put onto domestic cars.

Well, I did specify circa 1989, but I just had a look in the book and it's not actually as draconian as I remembered anyway. v:shobon:v

KozmoNaut posted:

Doesn't stop people from running their front fogs all the time along with their low beams, either. I think they do it because "it looks cool" or because they think a bunch of near field light improves vision, when in fact it does the opposite.

Front fogs OR low beams. Not both. And certainly never front fogs at the same time as high beams, that's even more idiotic.

No Nissan made in the last 6 or 7 years can run fog lamps without the headlamps on. The fog lamp relay is powered by the headlamp relay. Probably runs to earlier models too, but I don't see much at work before '06 or so.

It's a little annoying when doing light checks because the lows are always brighter than the fogs so the only indication is stuff at ground level to the sides changing brightness a little, gotta flip them a couple times to be sure.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Mooseykins posted:

Seems everyone here hates rear fogs, but in heavy fog or heavy rain/spray they're great. I get pissed off when people don't use them appropriatly in fog and spray. They make a big difference in visibility knowing what's ahead of you when you need it.

I should really get around to wiring up my other one, wagon only has one wired up.

It's not about rear fogs, it's about idiots and dickbags. Don't hate the game, hate the players.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

For what it's worth, they've apparently arrested the guy on the bike who did the first brake check.

Hopefully an incitement charge on top of the traffic violations.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Raluek posted:

I am assuming those "YOUR SPEED: __ MPH" radar signs they set up along the road periodically are somewhat accurate, as they tell me my speedo is about 10% high. So I'd expect joe sixpack to know about how far off his is based on these, even if he doesn't have a phone or a standalone GPS that can tell him.

Haha, there's currently one on I95 northbound into DC that's reading roughly 15 mph too low (accordingly to our speedos and GPSs).

I have a pie in the sky conspiracy theory about it, that maybe it's a deliberate effort to make people think their speedos are reading 65mph when they're supposedly going 50mph so obviously just to go the speed limit (65) they should crank it to a reading of 80mph. Which is actually ~80mph and will get you a pretty stiff Reckless Driving charge added to the speeding ticket.

I mean, it's been sitting there being that wrong for at least 7 months, it was already wrong when they put it out, and it's getting driven past by literally hundreds of thousands of people a day. How can it not be deliberate? :allears:

Hell, there's one on I95 southbound up by the DC Beltway that can't measure higher than ~18mph, by the last southbound HOV entrance. I don't trust any of them.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Will it handle a 64gb card?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
How'd the guy behind you do? :ohdear:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Geoj posted:

It tends to be legal pretty much everywhere else too, by virtue of "law enforcement doesn't write tickets for anything other than speeding, running stop signs/red lights and DUIs."

Try it on the Schuylkill Expressway sometime. :pcgaming:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

PT6A posted:

I didn't want to say anything in case I looked like an idiot, but, yeah, that's not a roundabout design that makes any sense, unless I'm really missing something.

The feeders and outlets are probably all one-way streets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Headphones are illegal while operating a vehicle in a lot of states, while being deaf is politically poisonous to legislate against. :chord: