Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Was taking a left on green and the minivan coming my way gave me the horn for getting in his way, so I flipped the guy off. It's green, gently caress you. Then I realized it was his right of way and I felt like a douche. The guy didn't get close enough to have to use his breaks but still, eh. I am the idiot you share the road with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Leaving an airport last night I got to see some impressively bad driving. Some guy in a Chrysler 300 was heading to the parking lot exit in front of me, and he was straddling the white line the entire length of the lot. Managed to get through the toll booths alright, but when he hit the 4 lane road heading to the interstate he kept slowly drifting form the far left lane all the way to the right lane. No signal, nothing. He was about 1/3 car length in front of me as he starts drifting into my lane (far right)and ignores my blaring horn and flashing my highs at him so I brake hard and he gets in front. I'm pissed but wary at this point so I stay back and then start picking up speed to pass him on the left, so he immediately swerves across 2 lanes to almost hit me again, so I punch it and get around him, at which point he gets on my rear end horn blaring and highs on. I thought he must be drunk at first, but after he tries chasing me down I have no goddamn clue. It scared the poo poo out of my passenger and left me angry and confused. I'm just glad it was pretty late at night so there wasn't anyone else on the road with him.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

tuna posted:

A loving horse or something.

I don't see it, what was that?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Got a fun one. On my way home from work I see this ratty, rusted out 90s Silverado going down the main drag of my town. One tail light smashed out, a large gouge caused by god knows what in the tire well of the rear passenger side, and pulling a homemade trailer that looked to be about one speed bump from falling apart. Oh, and the trailer had one tire with the tread half off flapping around making this hilarious slapping sound. I've seen worse around here, but not by much. I wonder what would happen if Florida ever mandated any kind of inspections.

*Edit: Forgot the second best part; those trailer tires were not horizontal to the road. They were cambered, although I can't imagine it was intentional.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 18, 2014

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Nothing like driving down a narrow-as-gently caress,winding road only to see a pickup truck that is wider than its lane bearing down on you. With its highs on. And no matter how many times you flash yours, gently caress you, you don't need to see poo poo, you just have to jerk your wheel when you feel your tires leave the road.

This is one a road that is surrounded by wetlands so if you go off it's in the drink you go. Jesus, what is wrong with people.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

dissss posted:

Presented without comment

Jesus. How can you not be terrified of trying that?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
What bugs the hell out of me is people not stopping at the painted line at 4 way stops. People consistently just roll about a car length and then they stop. I can never tell if someone is just running the damned thing or pulling this poo poo, and they do it all the time.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Yeah, there are definitely terrible stop signs, but people do this whether they can see or not. And they roll so far they block the other lanes, which is a ton of fun as a pedestrian too.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I got one from the cyclist POV. I was riding home from work (weather was beautiful and cool, gently caress driving) around 10 PM and came to a 4-way stop. One car beat me, did their thing, and continued on their merry way. As I roll up and stop, I notice an SUV on my left stopped about a length and a half or so back from the sign. I stop and take a look, because I have no clue what this guy is up to, and he just sits and the next car goes. I figure, sure, whatever, and take my turn. As I pass in front of their lane they flash their brights, lay on the horn, and yell something at me as I go past. They then proceed to move up, take their turn at last, and run a red light.

I wasn't upset then, I'm not now. I'm just baffled. Why stop for so long? Why flip out? Why do the stop sign lawfully and then run a red? People are strange.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

kastein posted:

full-on chipmunk driver mode so I expected that.

Chipmunk driver?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

ijustam posted:

That's a blue light. People will put a blue flashing light on their car and then drive around like they own the place.

How do they not get the poo poo ticketed out of them? In Florida at least it's illegal to even have one of those on your car unless you're a cop or something similar.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
How about the classic dumb rear end in a top hat who won't turn on their lights in the rain? Nothing as fun as half turning into a traffic gap that is actually occupied!

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

That man is my hero. He goes above and beyond.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Got a novel one today. When I'm at reds I tend to look at the people around me, look into the rear view of the person in front of me to see their eyes. Woman I was behind today had her rear view at an angle so that all I could see in it was the leftmost bit of her headrest and the sky outside her window. Whatever she saw in that sure as gently caress wasn't behind her. Both of her side mirrors were good too so it wasn't like she was compensating for them. :iiam:

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
The Onion is pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuKnR8RvxHY

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
What I'm getting out of all this is a semi is to a car as a car is to a motorcycle and everyone hates the guy in the other vehicle type because they are an unrepentant rear end in a top hat.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Can't stand people how come to a 4 way stop and don't move even when their turn comes around. Makes the other people confused and fucks up the whole flow because no one knows if this idiot is going to just lurch into motion with no warning.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Mooseykins posted:

Blue car sitting in a lane.

What the hell was he trying to do? Why was he even stopped?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Got stuck behind someone in an SUV with break lights that were either broken or blacked out so successfully you couldn't see them at all. It was about an hour of stop and go traffic on a two lane road. It was not much fun.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I pretty much always have my lights on because people around here are frighteningly inattentive and its not like it hurts anything.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Was going down the main street of my town when some old woman in a minivan pulls out into the left lane right in front of me. I have to brake hard and as I start to pass her she moves right with no indicator and I have to brake harder. I honk and go on my merry way only to see her make the next right into the same drat parking lot she just exited. There was no one in the right lane to begin with and she was doing 15 in a 45 zone. loving tourists.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 15, 2015

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

EightBit posted:

The word you are looking for is brake.

Yeah, autocorrect changed it.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Has the opposite of my last irritation post earlier today. Was following a guy who had his brake lights on entire 5 or so miles I was behind him. Tried to get his attention to tell him but no luck. Drove like a sane and attentive human at least.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Was going down the road going about 50 in a 45 and this van goes rocketing past me. I eventually catch up because of traffic and this guy is driving super aggressively, darting from one lane to another with no turn signal, sudden acceleration and hard breaking. The guy (looks to be in his 70s) gets stuck behind someone doing the limit and I end up along side him. I need to get over because my turn is coming up and he blocks me, going so far as driving in the middle of both lanes so I cannot pass him, though I do get by eventually despite his best efforts. His response is to pull more boneheaded driving maneuvers just to break check me and rocket off into the distance after teaching me my lesson (I guess?). Later that day I see the same drat van outside a strip mall and leave him a sticky note.

"Peace and Love,

the Corolla you break checked"

Figured an rear end in a top hat like him would be more incensed by something non aggressive. If he was pissed because I was speeding, he was doing at least 10 over what I was. If he didn't like my lane changing he was more reckless and didn't even use his signals. All the old people I see are dangerous because they are inattentive or so out of it they have no business driving, this dude was anomaly.

:iiam:

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Yeah, yeah. I post from my phone and it autocorrects.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Pixelated Dragon posted:

Do bicyclists ever get ticketed? They're not required to carry ID so I imagine it would be pretty hard to enforce any sort of traffic laws such as running a red light.

I've seen a couple guys on bikes pulled over, I assume because they were riding in the street without lights at night. Still, that was only twice in the 20 or so years I've been in my town.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

revmoo posted:

Those bike lane markers crack me up, they're like chalk outlines from a crime scene (and have about the same effect)

We have some lovely 'Bikes share the Road' signs around here. With no bike lane (not even the horrifying 3 footers) on a road with a speed limit of 40 where everyone does 50+. No one I've ever seen is suicidal enough to actually ride on that street no matter what the signs say. It's kind of hilarious.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Was in the leftmost of a dual left- turn lane earlier today when the RAV4 in front of me decided he really needed to get into the rightmost left-turn lane mid turn. So he put on his indicator. And stopped. In the middle of the intersection. Everyone in the other turn-lane kept going, so he couldn't get in, so he sat there until the light turned and no one else was coming, and finally completed his turn. All the honking in the world by myself and the guy behind me did nothing, he ignored it all.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Ya'll know what makes for some great pissing matches? A left lane that ends about 300 feet after a stoplight. What could make that better? If it is right next to a community college so there are tons of impatient and terrible young drivers coming close to running timid tourists off the road when they get confused by the lane ending and come to a complete stop, waiting for a gap get right. Of course, no one merges properly and you get some BMW playing chicken with a Brotruck in the final 50 feet or so.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
One day people will figure out that your speed when you reach the 4 way stop is not what gives you the right of way. I've long since lost count of how many times I've come to a stop and started to go only to get cut off by someone who comes tearing up to the sign and jams on their brakes without actually stopping. That day I will be happy.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 2, 2015

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Saw some moron bicyclist going against traffic in the non-separated, 3 foot bike lane. gently caress, at least use the sidewalk.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Safety Dance posted:

Riding against traffic is loving idiotic, yeah, but if you ride your bike on the sidewalk I will glare at you so hard. Nut up, admit your mistake, and go around the block. Don't run your lovely rear end schwinn into me.

It wasn't a one way street. Bikes can be on the sidewalk in Florida and that would have made the idiot a hell of a lot safer than what they were doing.

Edit for clarification: This wasn't some Lance Armstrong wannabe, it was a fat grandma doing about 10.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 6, 2015

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Saw some dude in a 90s Civic last night with one headlight out. His one working light had its high beam on. Was it a misguided attempt to make up for one missing light or was he an rear end? The world may never know!

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 5, 2015

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Had some lady go nuts on me for not attempting to undertake a semi (one of those huge ones, like moving truck size) on a traffic circle with 2 lanes and a wide truck skirt. The truck took up the entire circle by itself, no way to get around it on either side. Once it was out she zoomed around me and proceeded to tailgate it and try to get around it only to barely miss oncoming traffic twice before I turned off. Some of yall are truckers, right? Do many people seriously try stupid poo poo like that often?

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 18, 2015

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Saw a parked Prius with completely bald tires at Publix. I left them a note pointing the fact out in hopes that they just don't ever look at them as opposed to willful stupidity. Someone is in for a world of hurt next time it rains, all I can do is hope it's only the driver.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Almost hit a motorcycle that was parked way in the back of a car space. It was between an SUV and an F-250 so I thought the space was empty till I was halfway in the spot. Why do people park in the very back of a space where you might not be able to see it? God knows people are dumb enough in parking lots with cars they can see coming at them, wouldn't it be better to park it closer to the entrance of the space where it is easier to spot, or is the idea that if it is farther back where some moron would have more time to spot it and stop?

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 8, 2015

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I wasn't annoyed by the biker, I was thought of myself as in the wrong here. I was just wondering why people park like that. I've seen it often enough that it piqued my curiosity.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I enjoy biking for fun and exercise, and I admit to running stop signs, when no one is around. If a car is there I stop as normal, and never run reds. I don't see many people do that poo poo around my town. Am I the person you share the road with? Conceivably, but I honestly try not to be, in or out of the car/bike.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 15, 2015

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Saw a strange thing today. As I was going down the highway a van goes cruising by me in the left lane with its break lights lighting up for about half a second every 2 seconds. It never seemed to slow down at all and was keeping at about 80. What the hell? Could some faulty wiring do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

tuna posted:

probably your standard left foot braker resting his foot on the loving brake pedal and toggling the brake lights every other second. Just stay well away from them as if they had no brake lights at all.

That was what I thought too, but this guy had freakish machine-like regularity. Either way, I did give him a wide birth.