Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

KozmoNaut posted:

I didn't know BMW had actually put that on production cars already, neat :)

It's probably the most elegant solution, no weird flashing or anything, just brake lights that are suddenly gently caress-off bright. Apart from possibly being a bit too bright according to legislation, they also stay within the "brake lights must have constant illumination while braking" rule.

As long as they somehow fade after a few seconds because nothing sucks more than being stuck in a queue (when it's dark and rainy) behind someone that has gently caress-off bright light and insists on having their foot on the brake at all times. Pretty much blinds the hell out of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

8ender posted:

I honked at someone when they blew right through a stop sign, while talking on a phone, at a four way today. They were startled by the horn mid turn and actually went up over a curb and nearly down a hill into a public park. Then they got out of their car, still on the phone, and started screaming at me as I went through the intersection.

This is just :psyduck:. I'd call the cops on them to enrage them further.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

8ender posted:

I live in a rural area and I too have experienced this, and it occurs at exactly 70km/h.

I still laugh when they do 70 in an 80 zone and then continue to do 70 through a small town/school zone/around a school bus.

I was going to post this. That behavior annoys the poo poo out of me. If you can't drive at the speed limit out on the big roads because your car is poo poo, you are poo poo or you are hauling poo poo, don't you dare make up for it where the low speed limit is there for a very good reason (i.e school, small town / community) and so on. On my usual road I go on when I go to the shops, the speeds go 80km/h, 50km/h then 90km/h. When coming back it's obviously reversed and I can't tell you how many bloody times I catch up with and pass someone on the 90 stretch because they are doing 73, just for them to keep going at that speed when we hit the 50 zone and catch up with me. They always seem annoyed as well because they ride up my rear end.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
^^^^ How the gently caress is that a no-fault accident? Isn't it illegal to pass using the shoulder?

Opensourcepirate posted:

So the lesson to learn there is that if someone runs a stop sign in front of you, you're likely better off smashing into them than you are trying to avoid a collision. It makes the fault easy to assign, but I think it's a sad lesson.

You deal with a lot of stuff like this when biking. If someone opens a car door while I'm coming up on my bike quickly, should I try to go around it into unknown traffic conditions, thereby making myself the at fault party, or should I just put my head down and hit it? I may have milliseconds to make that decision.

It's kind of hard to know the outcome, but I keep thinking about it when I drive and different "what if" scenarios present themselves on the road. "Would I swerve into oncoming traffic or hit this idiot / kid that just pulled / ran out in front of me". Thankfully nothing ever happens, but I've come to the conclusion that I'd only swerve for a kid running out on the road if there was oncoming traffic. But then again, thankfully at those speeds (40km/h or 50km/h since I never speed in those areas) it's faster and better to just stop. A few months ago there was a family hanging around (with their backs turned to the road) a crosswalk and the son was jumping around and suddenly ran out on the crosswalk in front of me. Thankfully I saw it coming and had my speed down and foot on the brake, ready to brake.

Swerving is pretty dangerous when it's a kneejerk reaction and can result in worse crashes than would have happened if they'd just carried on. A very good example of how swerving can go horribly wrong is when people swerve for animals. Over here we're taught to only swerve for a moose, since they gently caress you up badly if you hit them. But that doesn't stop people from swerving for squirrels and end up flipping their cars 10 times and totaling it and perhaps themselves.

I think the lesson should be to never be in such a hurry that you can't deal with most situations. Some poo poo is just random and unavoidable and "luck", but some can be avoided.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QppW_0_DuiE

Found this camera. Seems pretty good for the money.

Also if you have the camera on your helmet, don't look like an rear end in a top hat and shake your head at everything other people do "incorrectly" and then speed off at 200mph filtering. Looks stupid.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I love the dude who decided to tailgate me yesterday during hard winds. Not that it was hard to drive or anything, but you never know what comes flying in front of the car. At least he got the message when I decided to just take my foot of the accelerator where he couldn't pass. I find that it's the best way to get people to back the hell off without risking them overreacting to a brake check. Especially when they are so close that their headlights are blocked from vision.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Yeah I see tons of headphone cyclists doing stupid poo poo. The classic one is cruising on sidewalk, flipping through the playlist and then casually turn onto a crosswalk without even looking. Good thing I saw it coming last time, or she'd gotten a nasty surprise. No helmet neither. I really hate cyclists and I'm an avid cyclist myself. The biggest reason for that is that 9/10 cyclist I see during my rides ignore pretty much every traffic rule there is. Not the mention the ones that cycle on the sidewalk..
Though I also hate drivers who are too stupid to accept that there are cyclists on the roads and they have a right to be there.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
The best way to deal with tailgaters is to just take your foot off the accelerator so that they either pass you or where they (more fun) can't pass you, get the loving point and stay back when you put your foot back on the throttle. Works every time and there not sudden moves or anything. Best case is just that they pass. Nothing worse than having tailgaters steal attention and make any change in the road ahead result in a crash if I have to brake.

Also, it's always fun the people decide to overtake in the dumbest situations. Had to brake semi-hard and evade a bit to not be in a head on collision yesterday. Thankfully no tailgaters behind me.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Over here we have the "Right Hand Rule" which basically says that you have to yield to anyone coming from the right unless you are on a priority road / they are coming from a parking lot or whatever. But it's hilariously dangerous that despite this being one of the core rules of the road here, no one seems to know / get it. People just stop, wait and look confused when I yield. I have to wave them through since you never know when a cop is watching and I don't feel like getting a $300 ticket for not abiding to rule.

It gets even more dangerous when on a bicycle and I haven't ever seen a cyclist yielding due to that rule neither.

/rant

Edit: I also love driving in snow. It's calming yet exciting and a nice break from the usual boring drive.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

kastein posted:

I like how witnesses blamed the drivers brakes not working.

How the gently caress did they manage that? And why hasn't the driver been banned from driving for life?

E: oh, sounds like they started out on the second level of a parking structure. Still, how does your brakes not working at parking lot speeds result in going over the barrier and landing on another car?

Also, two for one, rubberneckers proceeded to cause an accident on a road and close it down too :eng99:

I imagine it panning out sort of like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swth05GZesA
I doubt the driver even touched her brakes.

Edit: Here's the video I was looking for:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1qUF2u967c

Pretty much the same though.

VVVVV: "Witnesses say the driver’s brakes did not work and she ended up on top of an SUV in the lower parking lot.". Unless you thought I meant the driver in the first video, my bad then. Should have been clearer that I was talking about the driver in the article. :)

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 7, 2013

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

spog posted:

Also check out http://www.techmoan.com/guide-to-dashcams/

I bought a Mobius and I am veyr happy with it. It is nicely discreet.

Wow, that camera seems amazing. Definitely on my to buy list.

Kill-9 posted:

40 car or so pile up outside Milwaukee. Why do people drive so drat fast in those conditions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R38RJuul55c

Many of them are so obviously distracted as well, swerving at the last second as they (probably) look up from their phones.

Edit: That's one of the stupidest drat pileups I've seen in a long time.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 10, 2013

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Yeah that too. Also, check out the person clipping one of the stationary cars 3:32. :psyduck:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

InitialDave posted:

I live it when people get wound up that I won't go when waved out, completely ignoring that they are on the inside lane of a dual carriageway, and the outer lane is 1) not properly visible from my position 2) still moving along even though their lane is stationary.

Yes, random stranger, I shall obediently risk an at-fault collision because to do otherwise would show a lack of gratitude for your apparent courtesy and so insult you...

What really sucks is when you have to give way to the right in intersections where neither road/street is a main road/street (i.e everyone coming onto the main road/street has to give way to people already on it), and people have no clue about this, despite it being on of the pillars on which driving (at least here, first thing taught) is based on. So there I have to sit and wait for these retards that give me dumb looks for stopping for them. Last time it happened it was 4 people in a row, from the same street.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Because it's the land of the free, and home of the brave. :911: :patriot:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I also park further back. It takes me about 10-20 seconds longer to get into the store.. which, when you think about it, just makes the assholes parking in handicapped spots out of laziness even more assholey.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Yeah, the difference is pretty huge. Especially with those in ear headphone plugs. If you also add the fact that many have their music turned up way too loud when using headphones, it gets even worse.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'd rather have all headphones illegal than having people using their own good judgement. We all know how well that works...

VVV: Yeah for the love of god don't do that. You'll end up like those people with in ear buds, where you clearly hear the music due to the insane volume they now need to hear the music.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 14, 2014

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Super Aggro Crag posted:

...I was coasting as slow as possible while the light was still red to keep from stopping.

If you don't at least try to do this while taking your driving exam, you'll probably fail it over here. Part of the "eco driving" requirement, coupled with the "learn to anticipate and plan ahead" requirements. Well, maybe not coasting, but engine braking, not stopping unnecessarily and so on.

Edit: Ok, I'm exaggerating a bit. But eco driving is a pretty big part of the exam here.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 16, 2014

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Solkanar512 posted:

Where the heck did you take this exam?

Sweden. The driving part of the exam consists of 4 areas where you have to show knowledge.
- Vehicle knowledge and maneuvering
- Economical driving
- Knowledge about traffic rules and signs.
- How you plan ahead and behave in traffic.

The examiner will take all of these into consideration when deciding if you pass or not.

If you drive perfectly but are a bit heavy on the foot, you'll probably pass. But if you routinely come up to red lights not engine braking and at high speeds only to brake hard, you'll probably fail since it's not just bad for the eco part, but also for the planning ahead and behavior part. The examiner also goes a lot by how it felt. If they felt at ease, you'll probably pass, which probably means that you did alright. They do consider people being nervous about the test, driving a car you are not used to and so on. Unless they suck, that is.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

DeusExMachinima posted:

So what's with motorcyclists dying lots more in cities than car drivers do? Is that the cars' fault and I can't do anything about it if I get a cycle or are cyclists idiots or both?

:can:

But basically, they are all idiots. No form of transportation is without its many, many idiotic users.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Moral of the (all) stories is trust no one in traffic. I would have been hit by a car while crossing the road at the crosswalk the other day, if it wasn't for me trusting no one. it was a 2 lane road with a crosswalk and (as you are required by law) the van stopped to let me cross. However the dude in the next lane was too stupid to realize that the van had stopped at a crosswalk to let a pedestrian by, and raced through.

Luckily I inched my way forward, expecting just that to happen. I see all these pedestrians crossing the road without even looking and it's loving scary. If I wasn't the kind of person that always looks and keep alert of my surroundings, I might have been seriously injured / dead. Wouldn't have been my fault, but what comfort is that?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
A less abrasive way to dealing with tailgaters is to clean your windshield. As they notice the sprey hitting their windshield, most people realize that they are way too loving close.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

That's a good commercial.

Could also double as a ad targeted to to pedestrians. Please look before you cross a road, even if you think you are in the right. The amount of people I see just walking straight out is scary. Sure, I see them, but mr/miss text-a-lot in the car that comes the next time they cross might not.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Don't forget slowly creeping over the line as well. Happens all the time.
Speaking of red lights, I don't get people who race up to it and the brake hard. Just lift the gas and try not to stop, and hopefully it'll turn green before you have to stop. Unless you are blocking people who can turn and such.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Paradoxish posted:

People get absolutely furious at this behavior, in my experience. I started doing this when I learned to drive manual because I was lazy and didn't want to have to start out in first at every light, and I've just kept it up over the years. I've had people lay on their horns, swerve around me on two-lane, no pass roads (into oncoming traffic), ride my bumper, whatever. I'm not even talking about excessively slowing down, just cruising and engine braking up to a light that's clearly red.

In general, it seems like other drivers really want to stop and go. I run into the same kind of rage when coasting along at low speeds in traffic rather than constantly speeding up to the next car's bumper and slamming on my brakes. I'm cheap, people, let me save my 0.0001mpg in peace. :mad:

Fucknag posted:

I've gotten the brotruck flyby so many times after passing them at a stoplight with this method. They get passed by some pissant in a yellow sport compact, and it engages their berserker mode wherein they absolutely MUST show off how important and loud their HEMI is. RRRRAREHRHGHR MY TRUCK CAN ACHIEVE 60MPH IN A 45 TAKE THAT FAAAAAAG

(says the guy with a 3 inch exhaust, but eh)

I only see that from the occasional wannabe racer in an audi or something. But then again, eco driving like that is a required thing to do to pass your drivers test here, which maybe explains why I haven't been murdered yet.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Crotch Fruit posted:

Well the KDOT handbook does say to slowdown if you are being tailgated but it is so you can increase space between the car in front of you so you would not have to hit your brakes as hard.

Yeah it's passive aggressive, but it's more polite than brake checking. It not a normal driving habit, just something I did one time that worked with good results.

Depends on where you do it. I had a retard tailgate me while doing the limit on a twisty road at night, where passing wasn't allowed. He was so close that all I could see was a slight glare from his headlights. I dropped down from 70km/h to 30km/h and stayed there for a while then went back up to 70km/h again. He got the point and I'm not going to risk being pitmanuvered into a tree if I had to brake / he isn't paying attention. We were the only cars on that road at the time.

VVV: I always move over if possible, but on the roads it has happened to me, and I didn't move over, it's been pretty tight with barriers / ditches on both sides.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Apr 20, 2015

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
That video is the epitome of retardation. The motorcyclist going out in traffic is almost the worst. Thankfully people decided to look up from their phones when he was out trying to get himself killed.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Apr 21, 2015

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

tuna posted:

Latest in everyone's favorite zipper merge news: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgfOcagYJfE

Cammer cheering on the fact that someone dangerously blocked another car from using a lane just because there is roadwork up ahead and he didn't "queue politely" or some loving poo poo.

Checked out that dudes channel; His compilations are mostly made up of slight mistakes / lazyness from other drivers (or his own dumb driving). He's not even that good a driver himself, and I suspect that he is making things worse for the camera. Either that or he has a lovely reaction time / is distracted. The are severeal clips of him almost running into people from behind and then honking at them.

These types of channels are becoming quite common...

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I dunno, performance car + percieved status + immaturity = dick drivers

Unless you are a van driver. I think they are required to suck in order to get a company van to drive around in

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Goober Peas posted:

So last night - this oblivious woman pulls out sans headlights, cell phone to ear. Within 500 feet she was up on the curb, overcorrected and got sideways in the middle of a 5 lane road. I missed T-boning her by less than a car length. That's only the 2nd time my anti-collision system has been triggered - it's quite the adrenaline rush when the car jams on the brakes all by itself.

Volvo city safety?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Probably busy watching a movie or something.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Tarantula posted:

There are no words, what an absolute moron.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G80jxwoWdjI

A common theme with all these videos, besides sucking at parking in general, is a complete lack of understanding how to turn the wheel. Always turn too little, too late.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'm lucky I don't trust people to know traffic rules. Had to slam on the brakes to not get hit from the left by someone who obviously doesn't know that you have to stop for traffic coming from the right, unless other signs say otherwise over here. Visibility was poor as well and the dude in the other car came at way too high speed for the conditions (narrow street with parked cars on both sides).

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 9, 2015

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
People do the wierdest poo poo. Had someone cut me off in a two lane street that was merging into one lane later on. Why not just stay and merge properly instead of almost clipping my front end? And a dude in a BMW took off from being parked against the flow of traffic, crossing my path so that I had to brake harder than I like. Totally oblivious to what they do.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

tuna posted:

Both good points on the camera footage being useful to everyone involved (although busses p.much always have cameras on them but one more can't hurt). For some reason the footage didn't even come into my mind, heh.

My main gripe is mostly that everyone who is nearby runs up to the accident and all dial 911 at the same time (usually with someone also yelling "DIAL 9-1-1!" in the background) and then just uselessly standing there 3ft away from a mangled body on the ground. If you count the people running across the roads to go stand near the accident it's like 15+ people and then everyone who's on the bus about to get off, then you have a giant crowd of people, most of which aren't even witnesses, just filming some guy on the ground. Not sure why it bothers me but it does.

Nowadays most people probably run up so that they can film it and put on youtube for views, or to show off something that happened in their boring life. Instead of helping.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

InitialDave posted:

It might not be legal to actively beat them up, but I certainly don't have to get out their way if they're trying to bomb through a pedestrian area. You know how you don't try to bully trucks out the way in a supermini? Turns out a lot of cyclists aren't that smart.

When I'm walking, I never move when cyclists try to pass me on the sidewalk (illegal here). Some of the idiots have the nerve to ring their bell, which only means I make it even harder for them.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

PT6A posted:

So, we've all discussed the perils of bicyclists on the sidewalk. Well, today, I saw two different scooters driving on the sidewalk, on separate occasions. Oddly, it seemed to work without any danger, and then I figured out what the problem is with cyclists on sidewalks: they don't give right of way to pedestrians. The scooters were driving on the sidewalk to get to the road (since you're allowed to park on sidewalks here, apparently), but were respectful enough to not pass pedestrians. So, if you want to ride your bike on the sidewalk, I have to say it should probably be legal, but you should not be allowed to pass pedestrians, and you, as the cyclist, should have to move if pedestrians are coming toward you. If you don't, we get to beat you with a baseball bat.

There: I've solved all our problems!

That reminded me of one of the more hilarious occasions of schadenfreude that I read about a while ago. The police were (for once) doing a crackdown on cyclists and in my city we have these streets that have been converted to pedestrian streets (or whatever it translates to), which mean that all traffic is supposed to adapt to whatever the pedestrians are doing. In other words, don't drive faster than walking speed, pedestrians always have right of way and so on. Frequently you'll see cyclist blowing through these zones going 20km/h+, which is pretty annoying and dangerous.
Anyway, loads got busted and cried in the article that a local newspaper did about it. The fine is $120. Double if your vehicle is a car. I don't know about the US, but bicycles counts as vehicles.

Also, it's pretty funny how you always get the same bullshit from cylists going on the sidewalk here "Oh but I don't want to cycle in traffic" - Fine, then don't cycle. "I'm not hurting anybody" - Yeah, until you or some other dumbass hit people. I've been hit by a cyclist, it hurts but I'm young. I was fine. But for old people, getting hit could easily lead to a fracture and fractures for old people can be a death sentence. Even if they don't get hit, they need to be able to go out without worrying about getting hit.

Car stuff: Man am I glad my volvo actually has functioning AUTO mode for the headlights, and best of all, turns on the rear lights as well. It used to be law to have lights on at both ends, but I think the EU rules overruled it. So now we have loads of people going around in low light conditions, in cars that have lovely auto modes, that don't know that their car doesn't have any rear lights on...

VVVVV: The "excuse" here is that up until recently, all cars had the low beams + rear lights come on when you start the car, with no way to turn them off, only switch to parking. First thing I did with the new car was to check if rear light came on when on DRL, which they do. Volvos auto system for lights is working really well so far.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 08:49 on May 16, 2015

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
poo poo, I was pretty close to getting rear ended. The motorway ends and the speeds go down from 90km/h->70km/h->40km/h in preparation for an upcoming intersection. I was going 40km/h in the 40 zone, some dude come up real loving fast and has to brake hard. Scared me enough to pull out on the side of the road. He was probably still doing 90.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Spiffness posted:

There is the off chance- albeit remote, that the driver was deaf and unaware. Maybe the lights weren't that noticeable in the day to someone who has their mirrors aimed lovely.

I guess I feel a little glass half full today.

Probably earphones or something stupid like that in that case.
At least they can impress in Germany as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG6jtga3oGI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Local story:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0jAfj4-EkI

The crane driver was distracted by someone talking to him when he was loading the crane etc. Fair enough.

The guy filming is a real moron. Sees the imminent crash, decides to take up his phone and film. He then also decides to get even closer. Well done.