Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That is some GTA level road rage, drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dylan16807 posted:

For red lights, that depends on the yellow being long enough. If it is, then sure.

Short yellows have been pretty conclusively shown to increase accident rates. Their only purpose is to get more people to run the red lights, even when traveling at the posted speed limit, unless they want to full-on emergency brake, risking being rear-ended.

Conversely, longer yellows and longer all red overlaps universally improve safety for all traffic in an intersection.

The fact that yellow lights are still regularly configured super short is a travesty. Signage and lights are for safety, not profit generation.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Phanatic posted:

Ditto speed limits.

Here in southern Germany, a lot of small towns have 30kph limits, either permanently or at night only. With how bendy and tight the roads are in some of them, there's definitely a safety angle, but I figure the majority of them are because of noise reduction. So generally safety, but there can be other factors weighing in on the selection of speed limits as well.

It is a little bit odd coming straight from a 100kph main road into a 30kph town, I have to admit. But since the money from speeding tickets don't go directly into the town's coffers like they do in the US, I don't really see them as nefarious traps, but more of a "small town inhabitants dislike the noise from people racing down their main street" factor.

In general, the speed limits are very sensible, the majority of main roads are 100kph national speed limit, and people generally choose anywhere from 80-100kph as a speed they're comfortable with, which works out. Of course, some people insist on going 120kph, but I think a certain amount of speeding is always going to happen, no matter what.

And oh boy the Autobahn. I honestly wish they would just cap it at 130kph or something, because there is often an absolutely absurd speed differential, and it does lead to some very tense situations and emergency braking. But that's a whole different kettle of bratwurst.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 22, 2020

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Phanatic posted:

In southern (at least) England those same roads are like 50mph and it is glorious. It's so nice to be going every bit as fast as you want down a road and be in compliance with the law because the speed limit was set rationally.

I am talking about the streets in towns. If you go 50mph down those, please stop.

E: Also "able to go as fast as I want" != "rational".

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Haifisch posted:

A rational speed limit is set at the speed the road naturally makes motorists want to go. Designing roads to make people go certain speeds is an actual thing, and a lot of too-low speed limits are the result of people wanting roads that encourage everyone to go fast(because they feel nicer to drive on than roads that naturally encourage people to drive slower and more cautiously) but wanting people to drive slower.

This veers dangerously close to "A = A" argumentation.

There are a lot of roads where the speed limit is set lower than would immediately appear applicable or "rational" at first glance. For instance, there may be treacherous lines of sight, intersections with less than optimal geometry, nearby forests and historical animal tracks/crossings, there are plenty of reasons that may not be immediately obvious to the common driver, and which do not necessitate artificially reducing the comfort or apparent niceness of the road in order to reduce speeds.

Most countries have blanket default speeds for certain types of roads, regardless of the fact that those roads may be vastly different in curvature, road surface standard and general markings/signage.

Compare and contrast a nice and wide 60mph national speed limit road in the middle of England to a barely two lane road with the exact same 60mph national speed limit way up in the Scottish highlands. Which one of those was set "rationally"?

Speed limits are not simply set by whichever speed the average driver thinks is appropriate or wants to be appropriate. There are a long list of considerations taken into account, which may not be obvious, but that does not invalidate them.

Like it or not, the limit is the limit. If you want to go faster, go to a track or somewhere with a higher speed limit. Lack of self control is not an excuse.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 22, 2020

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Phanatic posted:

I was going 50 down roads with a speed limit of 50. I didn’t mean the streets in town, I was talking about the twisty country roads in rural England.

Which is something completely different from what I was talking about in the post you quoted.

Phanatic posted:

You’re misunderstanding me, and I didn’t say “able to go as fast as I want.” My point is that if you’re a competent driver, and you’re going as fast as you feel is safe for a road, *and* you aren’t speeding when you do it, then that’s a good sign because it means the speed limit was set appropriately for that road and not artificially low so it can be a revenue source.

95% of drivers consider themselves above average in competence.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MomJeans420 posted:

So if I'm on the most boring freeway in the world, the 5 in Central California, where it's straight and flat as far as the eye can see, I should not go faster than 65?

Unless you have the power to somehow change traffic laws on-the-fly, then yeah. Maybe that's "boring", but you can't always get what you want.

Lobby to have it raised if you want it raised, but the primary purpose of public roads is to get you from A to B, not to get your blood pumping.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Phanatic posted:

And if they feel going at the posted speed limit on a road is beyond their capabilities, then they should re-evaluate this. *Especially* in areas where the posted limit is below the 85th percentile speed.

The posted speed limit is an upper limit, not a mandatory speed you must match. In many situations, it is prudent to slow down, your speed should always be appropriate for your sight lines and the available traction.

I've driven on countless roads where the national default speed limit was way too fast to be able to react to a stopped car or debris on the road around a corner. Yet people were happily barreling along at 10 or 20kph above that speed limit.

Phanatic posted:

No. I am neither a robot nor a trained monkey and I will violate laws when it is appropriate (and yes, safety is a factor in appropriateness) to do so. I have even, in the past, smoked marijuana, and even had a drink before I turned 21.

Personal consumption of (mild) drugs is something completely different from piloting 2 tons of steel at speed, on roadways shared with others.

One will perhaps give you a bad trip or at worst poison you. The other can be deadly to other people very quickly if a situation goes out of your control.

You choose to break the traffic laws, the shared framework of rules ostensibly designed to ensure that we all get to our destinations safely and as expediently as that allows. So don't complain when you get a ticket for speeding or running a red light.

If you are unable to follow the traffic laws, you are not legible to hold a driver's license.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Sep 23, 2020

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Elmnt80 posted:

Most speed limits are dumb

Counterpoint: the vast majority of speed limits are perfectly fine and sensible, but you only remember the few odd ones.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Phanatic posted:

thought of going at the speed limit causes you to go all white-knuckle on the wheel, you should just use a cab or a train or a bus.

Nobody in this discussion is afraid of driving at the speed limit, when appropriate. Yet you keep bringing it up, like some kind of gotcha.

Phanatic posted:

Of course I won't complain. That's part of the risk analysis in deciding whether or not to break the law. Like I said: I'm not a robot or a trained monkey and I'm have been equipped by billions of years of evolution with an entire sensory apparatus and a pretty impressive computer for the purpose doing things like making decisions.

Don't forget the heaping baggage of cognitive dissonance and chronic overestimation of skills and abilities that go hand in hand with said decision making.

Phanatic posted:

Someone, like yourself, going 55mph on those roads despite the traffic flow being something like 15mph higher than that, was creating an enormous hazard, despite the fact that they weren't speeding. Speed differential is dangerous , and if you're creating one by saying "I'm doing the speed limit, I'm not doing anything wrong," then you need to get off the road and into a nursing home.

If a dangerous situation is created when you encounter someone going the posted speed limit, you need to take a good long hard look at your own behavior on the road, and how that leads to a dangerous situation, because that is you creating a

The traffic laws have been agreed upon democratically (at some level) as a common framework that we all agree to follow in order for traffic to flow safely. When you willingly flaunt those agreed upon rules, that's on you.

"Everyone else is doing it" is no excuse. All that speaks to is lax enforcement and a possible need for changes to roads or speed limits, but you cannot just personally decide on those changes all for yourself.

I'll drive the speed limit, keep right except to pass and so on, and generally be a courteous driver. I'll take no responsibility for the irresponsibility of others.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Phanatic posted:

your moral crimes

:lol:

You seem to have quite a lot of unresolved anger towards people who don't drive exactly as fast as you want to drive.

You're very welcome to come over here and drive on the autobahn, where trucks go anywhere from 70-100kph and a number of people go 200+ at times, while most go 110-150 or so, depending on their preference. Personally I've kept it mostly at 120kph these last couple of weeks, both because I don't see any need to go much faster and because I've been saddled with a very not-fast rental car.

And you know what? Not a single tense situation in 1500km, because the people who do desire to go fast respect that their desire to go fast does not mean that other people have to do the same. So they wait until you can pull back right, or until there is room to overtake. Like reasonable and mature human beings.

Then again, you actually have to make an effort to earn the privilege of a driver's license here...

Relax, and learn some patience. That seems to be in short supply currently.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Those are some lame half-assed strawmen a couple of you have set up, just so you can get furious at people who don't do exactly what you want, when you want it. You seem to think I want to force anything on anyone, which could not be farther from the truth.

Try looking at traffic as more of a collaborative process, rather than just an endless parade of people getting in your way.

The fact that you immediately think I'm trying to enforce traffic laws on other people, when it couldn't be farther from the truth, speaks volumes about your attitude towards other drivers.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 23, 2020

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bonelessdongs posted:

You're either trolling or legitimately have a brain injury that affects self awareness

The fact that you cannot even fathom why I would prefer to follow the speed limit, without accusations of bad faith arguments or literal brain damage, should make you stop and reconsider your approach to driving on public roads.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Protocol7 posted:

the vast majority of roads in cities are boring and mostly straight, so it's usually never a problem to go above the speed limit.

If you cannot drive on a completely ordinary road without getting bored, to the point that you apparently have to speed, perhaps your attitude towards driving is a bit problematic.

Protocol7 posted:

Go the speed limit all you want when nobody else is around, but if you're getting constantly passed, maybe you should speed up since at that point you are a safety hazard. That's really all there is to it. It should go without saying that you should know your car and what's appropriate for that as well.

The reality is that I don't get passed all the time, nor do I build up a tail of cars behind me, which tells me that what I'm doing is perfectly sensible and unproblematic.

Phanatic posted:

We can fathom why you'd prefer to follow the speed limit. What's giving us difficulty is that you insist on following the speed limit even when that means you're going dangerously below the prevailing speed of traffic

Another strawman. That literally never happens to me. Seriously, it doesn't.

There are people both faster and slower than me, and I pass plenty of slower traffic just fine.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Protocol7 posted:

I'm not speeding because I'm bored, I'm speeding because I want to keep up with traffic and I also would rather spend my time at my destination than putzing around on the road.

The faster you go, the less time you spend on the road, so less opportunity to get into accidents.

Makes perfect sense :shuckyes:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

PT6A posted:

That being said, the limit should in that case be made reasonable relative to potential hazards, not set artificially low.

Agreed 100%.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ArcticZombie posted:

Reading this, I had a hard time reconciling the KozmoNaut I remember who posted in CA years ago and the KozmoNaut posting here, is this even the same person?

I see no disconnect. All of the quoted posts are perfectly compatible with following the speed limit in general. You could even say I've learned my lesson from the speeding tickets I've gotten, plus I've gotten older and mellowed out slightly.

Nobody likes traffic, and the annoyance at a hypothetical blanket 35mph limit is an annoyance at speed limits set artificially way too low, which I'm pretty sure we all agree are annoying.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 26, 2020

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Krakkles posted:

Also it’s super weird and gross that a few people seem to think they should prosecute who you are as a person for an opinion they disagree with.

“He said people should follow the speed limit, I should go stalk his post history and try to get a sick burn, loving boomer moron!”

I figure they'll grow up soon enough.

After all, I did :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

As long as that wasn't intentional by the truckers, that's a good hearty laugh.

Undertaking kills.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 27, 2020