Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
What I'm taking away from this is that I can get anything wrong with my car fixed by paying for a tire rotation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
My coworker didn't know how to change a tire and asked me to do it for him so he could go home.

When we popped his trunk there were bilingual, laminated, full-colour pictorial and text explanations on how to do it included with the jack. Thanks, Ford!

I've told this story before, but a few winters ago I was heading home on an 80kph road and came up behind a CR-V that was going slowly in the left lane. I started to pull up alongside it and then noticed that the right front tire was sticking out at about, oh, 30-45 (oscillating) degrees of camber. I decided to stay way, way back and drive cautiously waiting for the wheel to separate and the car to roll over.

The next day I was heading home on a different road, traffic was massively backed up. When I got to the front, there was a CR-V of the same colour and year missing its entire front right hub assembly, impaled on a Jersey barrier in the left lane.

I also saw a CR-V of the current generation a few months ago missing its entire left front hub assembly (wheel and tire included), lower control arm, strut/springs, left front axle and fender liner sitting stuck in the middle of the road when I was driving to work. The tow truck guys (yup, 2 trucks) were just showing up when I left.

A former neighbor had the ball joint fall out on his 929 and ended up stuck in the entrance to the gravel alley behind his place with the car looking like a Back to the Future hover car. He put a note on the windshield: "DO NOT TOW CAR IS SICK :(" with frowny face included. The police station is just up the road, so they towed it pretty quickly. I believe he got soaked for over five hundred bucks by Canadian Tire. He replaced it with a brand new shortbox Silverado which, after a few years, he started with starting fluid in the middle of the winter instead of replacing the battery.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 6, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Nodoze posted:

Having someone tailgate the hell out of you leading up to an on-ramp and get visibly upset that you aren't going fast enough, only to fall way behind you going around it and you end up like a mile ahead of them on the highway when you see them coming out is pretty amusing

Usually I don't even need to accelerate out of the turn as much as I just maintain the speed limit through the turn. Has the same effect.

I must admit that I think I made a ricer Civic that was weaving through traffic and passing on the shoulder poo poo his britches when a tiny gay convertible started the corner while he was at the apex and was on his rear bumper before he had finished turning. Maybe you'd be faster if you put both hands on the wheel?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 11, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

InterceptorV8 posted:

gently caress, I passed the googlemaps car on a double yellow because the rear end in a top hat was doing 45-50 in a loving 70.

You'd think they'd want to make it harder for people to tailgate them the entire time so their exposed dick and middle finger ends up in every Streetview panorama.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Geoj posted:

The stupidity of ricers never ceases to amaze me. Who the gently caress not only chases someone down for flashing their highbeams, but then proceeds to follow someone onto private property to defend their early-2000s Kia's honor?

Was it this guy? Maybe he got a new Korean car.

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=994095&binId=1.1203428&playlistPageNum=1

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

metaxus posted:

I must be the polar opposite of that... I get on quite well with the dealer I bought my motorbike from (they've only got 5 staff), and last time I dropped it off for a service, I got their shitheap of a loan bike, took it home, and killed a few hours washing it, cutting all the scratches out of the paint, polishing it, and waxing it. I also replaced several blown globes, polished the windscreen and instrument cluster faces, adjusted and lubed the chain, and adjusted the clutch.

Got it back there and they nearly fell over. Couldn't believe it was the same bike... As a result, the owner has told me that I have the pick of their demonstrator bikes as a loaner next time mine is in there, and I got a bunch of small parts I needed for free.

Swings and roundabouts, I suppose.
If you ever come to Canada you can borrow one of my cars.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

8ender posted:

I always find the biggest problem with other drivers on a bike is that some have a hard time estimating my speed with just one headlight. If I'm riding down the rode and get the spidey sense tingle about someone waiting to pull out ahead I'll usually move the bike from one side of the lane to the other, back and forth. I've seen some people pop their brakes when I do that so I have to assume it works sometimes.

I sometimes find it difficult to determine the exact distance to me of bikes with only one headlight. I find it hard to do the same for the many, many domestics around here missing their right headlight from last weekend's DUI. At least the latter sometimes have a dangling corner light on the opposite side that you can use to figure out how close they are in the dark.

I usually wait until I'm 100% sure but I can definitely see how it can happen if you're impatient trash.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
So she was trying to do a hill start while drunk out of her mind and then proceeded to compound it with some fractures? Nice.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Me and my dad both found out what 4-Lo does when I got my permit and learned to drive in a snowy parking lot.

Hint: It's loving great.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Someone like that, it might be better to light his gas furnace for him rather than trust him to do it...

http://abcnews.go.com/US/indianapolis-house-explosion-suspect-charged-murder-hire-plot/story?id=18837371

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Local public transit told everyone to stop waiting for buses in the middle of hills when it's icy, even if there's stops, because the bus might not be able to stop in the middle of the hill.

On my commute to work that day I saw buses not stopping in the middle of the hill as instructed and people, who were still waiting in the middle of the hill, jumping out onto the street and running after the buses, then slipping on the ice and almost sliding under the rear wheels.

It happened at two different stops so I wonder how many people overall can't understand the concept of "sometimes a bus won't stop for you, don't do anything stupid about it."

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I see that all the time, usually near the truck stops. They're just parking in a giant parking lot so snow has plenty of time to fall and they don't necessarily take the time to clean it off.

What's really bad are the daycabbers who show up for work and then don't do the same, and especially the dump truck operators who neither secure their loads nor clear snow and ice.

It's one of those things I think where if more people lived here, someone would have developed a piece of standard equipment to fix it by now.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Drunken Lullabies posted:

I wish I could find that video of one car hitting something like 10-20 parked cars on cap hill in one go that king5 aired a few years ago.

This one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvmaRQ75hc8

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

atomicthumbs posted:

we already had this discussion

It snows a lot here.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The Germans really shouldn't be criticizing other people for having queues.

xzzy posted:

Is it true that some places in Europe (UK maybe? I'm going off a fuzzy memory here) that failure to properly allow a zipper on a merge will get you ticketed?

We don't have it as a law but several of our worst-designed collectors have signs that say ALTERNATE RIGHT OF WAY DURING CONGESTION.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

FogHelmut posted:

Dunkin Donuts is the bane of my commute. Their parking lot entrance is such that people have to come to a complete stop to make the right turn to enter it.

The Tim Hortons outside my old office was so popular that it backed up people through their entire parking lot out onto the street and then almost onto the highway before the police started an active campaign to break it up by ticketing people blocking the driveways and intersections.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The local police started a crackdown on distracted driving where they have a cop dress up as a hobo/undercover and just sit around waiting for people to be dongmasters.

While the local CBC affiliate was interviewing an undercover cop, someone right behind them decided to pull an illegal u-turn and start driving the wrong way up a one way street while talking on their cellphone. When the cop lit them up, the driver was also found to not be wearing a seatbelt with the whole thing filmed and live-tweeted by the reporter. Now that's an expensive morning.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 26, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'm really worried because they're building a highway flyover near one of my favorite backwoods driving roads, and I know it's only a matter of time before I have to contend with more than just bicyclists and the occasional Camry driver on it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Michael Scott posted:

Hey now! I'm a performance Camry driver.

I'm being generous. Last time I was on it (in my '97 Impreza rust bucket - RIP) I had to wait behind a 911 turbo because he was afraid to go over 40 in a 60 on it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

:stonk:

As a native Floridian, I have to ask...

Why even go to work?

Because we come from the land of the ice and snow, from the midnight sun where the hot springs flow. The hammer of the gods will drive our comfortable economy cars (ideally with heated seats) to the work parking lot.

Seriously though, it's a lot of fun to watch morons on all-seasons (or worse, summers) pinball their way down an icy hill or find out from the morning news that yesterday your provincial capital had a 40 car accident because despite the fact that everyone drives around with their fogs on 24/7 nobody knows how to drive in ice fog and the exact same thing happened last year too.

Last year we had a chinook wind that melted a bunch of snow at the end of my driveway and I found half a Neon bumper encased in the ice. That's value.

My insurance premiums are, uh, large.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Phy posted:

What area of town was this, I've lived in the deep southeast most of my life with a couple years close to city center and I don't really recall snowbanks deep enough to hide a bumper in. I know the north end gets a lot more weather than the south in general.

Deep NW. It was a big pile of frozen snow left from my neighbor's shovelling.

I used to live in the deep SE too. It's like living in Edmonton up here, poo poo is crazy.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Drunken Lullabies posted:

On another note I had a plastic bag stick to my car for 30 miles. THESE ARE THE BAGS YOU SHARE THE ROAD WITH. Have fun in Seattle, little bag.

Ugh, every time I drive near a plastic bag blowing in the wind I freak out momentarily about having to pull it off my driveshaft and exhaust in the next few kilometers.

That's why I always tie mine off before I throw them in the recycle bin.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Speaking of stop lines, what about asshats in giant trucks/vans/suv's who creep forward in the left turn lane when I'm trying to turn right?

Those of us in normal sized cars can't see through you, morons. :argh:

Last week I was turning right and had to look left across this giant lifted SUV that was waiting to turn left. Whenever I would pull forward because he was blocking my view, he would pull forward because he couldn't look over the roof of my short station wagon or something.

Repeat half a dozen times and he ended up blocking the intersection from just creeping forward through the crosswalk. That's when I turned right and made my escape. Thanks rear end in a top hat! :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Never heard of it. It's something to say that the accident was properly recorded, right? I can see why it makes sense for a some stuff, but surely there must be people who have a repair needed that isn't an accident the police would get involved in? $1000 isn't a huge amount, you could probably do that scraping your own driveway gatepost or something.

I believe in Alberta they recently raised the amount to $2000 or thereabouts. Regardless many shops do expect you to have the accident reporting sticker.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

There's a two lane chunk of road I used to use on my commute, has an enormous 20 foot easement on either side that's kept clean cut. One spot has a gentle uphill grade to a crest, then dives fairly steep right into a stop light. 50 mph speed limit so people tend to try to cruise pretty fast. It backs up a bit during rush hour to the point you can only see cars and no stop light.. this habitually surprises people who expect to be going through at highway speeds and find a line of not moving cars in front of them. I think at least once a week I'd hear tires squealing going through there, when I'm the last car in the line I'd always watch the mirror for potential problems.

At any rate I'm waiting at this stop light one day when I hear those tires. I wasn't super worried because I had a two car buffer behind me but I check the mirror and see a Blazer coming in hot. After what seemed like a long screech he realized there was no way he was going to be able to stop in time, so he suddenly let up on the brakes and juked into the ditch, probably still moving around 40 mph. All I could do was laugh as he bounced his way past me and struggled to come to a halt in a giant cloud of dust.

He blew past me and maybe a half dozen other cars before coming to a halt.. sat there a few seconds trying to decide what the gently caress to do with himself before he turned on his blinker and slowly rolled back into traffic. Someone even let him in.

Bravo buddy, but maybe pay attention to the road next time and stop at the store for a new pair of briefs. :v:

When I first got my license and was driving to work for one of the first times I was rounding an onramp onto a low-speed freeway outside my parents' place. There's a big hill on the right side of said road because they were trying to build a cloverleaf but ran out of money. It was spring, but it was early in the morning so the dew was still freezing on the road.

The road that feeds into the exit is a popular drag racing spot for rich kids/ricers, so much so that they built a police station on it and people still have street races on it.

I had to stop abruptly because the guy in front of me misunderstood the concepts of "merge" and "yield." Traffic is dead stop in front of me. I glanced at the rear view and saw a dude in a Civic flying in behind me.

He couldn't stop in time, swerved and jumped the curb. His Civic launches up the hill sideways and gets stuck at the top. Since at this point I am stopped on a freeway onramp, I didn't know what to do so I looked to make sure he wasn't dead and took off at full speed as soon as the traffic in front of me opened up.

I'm glad he didn't hit me because based on how far he flew when he crested the hill... I check my rear view mirrors a lot and leave myself room to try and wiggle out of the way now.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 10, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

followed by reading a licence plate at a distance.
What? Don't you just have an eye exam like here?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

davebo posted:

Does anyone here watch Canada's Worst Driver? I've been enjoying this season where they've brought back some of the "winners" from previous seasons so it's really a worst of the worst scenario. I watch on youtube since I'm not Canadian but I just can't fathom how bad these people are. I wish the state could step in so that the loser actually lost their license. Or just have some patrol cars wait outside the facility to tail them home and catch their first mistake. It's a fun show but there needs to be more schadenfreude.

It's brutal. The final episode airs tonight, but I don't know how they can top last week's running away from the event, breaking into your own motherfucking home and slashing your hand tendons wide open.

Then again, they are going to be driving on city streets this time and the drivers have gotten pulled over and ticketed for infractions before.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Brigdh posted:

Tire rack street survival course? Probably not the same as Bounderant, but it atleast something...

Local sportscar club goes out to a frozen-over lake and does some ice driving survival skill drills. A lot of guys from the club bring their wives/scared coworkers/children and it seems to go a long way - the club racer guys get a chance to play on a new surface and everyone else is way more confident.

I've seen people who are terrified to turn the key in winter go to being able to lose and regain control at high speeds on ice and that's a valuable skill here. Unfortunately the locals are trust-fund retards who want their precious lake homes to remain unthreatened by the exhaust noise of bone stock commuter cars so who knows how long that'll stay. :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

I have never seen a blinker bulb burn out, even old style filament bulbs were good for thousands of hours. You're gonna have to drive a car for decades before the blinker goes.. corrosion is going to kill it before it burns out.

I killed a blinker bulb in my old Cavalier after only about seven years. GM says you have to pull the bumper to swap the bulb but I was able to pry the fender liner and do it through the crash structure in the rad support. It was -30 and I was convinced it was somehow completely essential that I replace the bulb that night for the drive to work the next day.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The Citroen DS4 has a customizable turn signal sound. Some of them are pretty obnoxious, much like the space retards who don't use their signals before major turns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl2sz61tNkU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That problem should solve itself pretty quickly.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Speaking of fire trucks I saw this on the GRM forums and it scares the poo poo out of me.

Yeah those are portable lifts. I'm assuming the truck is as empty as it can be, but oh man.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Deeters posted:

I'd love to fortify my mailbox, but it surprisingly hasn't been hit since then. The other mailboxes take the hit, or the car goes into the telephone pole. My dad and I took the :effort: route and just dropped it back into the hole it got knocked out of.

In Canada, we are just making individual mailboxes obsolete. This is the superior option because the community mailboxes are more burly and cause more damage to today's larger, more armored vehicles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsLt783_J0U

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

InterceptorV8 posted:

While I have never had that happen, I can't figure out why people would squeeze me in when I was driving my F250 beater. I mean for gently caress's sake people, it looks like it's been through a war, there isn't a straight loving panel on the drat thing, including the roof, and you aren't going to park in your spot so I can get in? Does it look like I am going to really give a flying gently caress about what paint is left on the door when I have to wedge it open so I can fit into my truck?

When I was driving my 97 Impreza I once parked next to a pricey new Acura SUV at a restaurant (perfectly normally, plenty of room, inside the lines, straight as an arrow) and then got a window seat. During the meal I was able to watch the SUV owner take one look at my car, sneer and then rush to hold the door so her kids wouldn't ding my car and damage their paint with my rusty shitbox.

I didn't know whether I should be pleased, insulted, or entertained.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

If you're driving an SUV or truck and not backing into parking spots the majority of the time, you're probably doing it wrong. Or cars, for that matter. Backing in is just so much easier and safer once you get used to it.

Yeah my dad always taught me that the first motion of any truck should always be forward. Whenever I drive a truck, I back in. I try to back in with a car as well when it's convenient because it greatly reduces my stress leaving a crowded lot.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I get courtesy flashes from city buses. Your daycabbers are boiled poo poo.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

some texas redneck posted:

So I'm taking an online defensive driving class. They state you should signal lane changes and turns "one full city block before your turn".

That uh.... that seems excessive. :stare:

They taught us to kick it off as soon as it wouldn't cause confusion, so as soon as you're past the turn/driveway before your destination put the signal on. That might be like a block or on the highway several kilometers, so I don't think they even followed their own advice.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I was giving a city bus enough distance to be able to see the traffic lights still when a Fit cut in between the two of us with about an inch to clear between him and the bus, the light went red and the city bus practically locked 'em up.

Never seen a Fit spin in place before, I gave him a healthy dose of my horn to remind him that I can always stop slower next time.

When the light went green he waited a very long time for the bus to leave before getting started again.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Drivers were really bad at avoiding bodies of water in those days, huh?

No guardrails probably, just pedestrian railings. All of the public infrastructure to protect bad drivers didn't exist because we generally assumed that people knew they were operating a dangerous machine in public.

It's crazy how much some of those frames crumpled considering the relatively low speeds they were travelling at. The one with the hydrant is scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Usually you can call the police department and parking authority to complain about a chronic issue and the cops will send someone to get a tasty bump in their ticket quota.

I do it every so often when the German SUV brigade at the nearby school get saucy about obeying the school zone limit because only their kid needs to be protected and all others should know well enough to stay out of the way of their 8 ton Aryan death machine.