Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Kelp Me! posted:

I'm here to tell you not to gently caress with her because the 1 time I parked my car in the street for <10 minutes, she backed out of her driveway and straight into my rear quarter panel. $1800 of damage. Apparently the unspoken reason was "it's too :effort: to use the backup camera in my Lexus SUV, I'm just gonna put it in reverse and floor it straight back out the driveway!"

This is how my buddy's neighbours wrote off his mint '79 RX-7. They didn't just hit it, they pushed it onto his lawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

wolrah posted:

I could swear that the majority of people who neglect to turn on their lights in those kinds of conditions are driving a silver/gray/super dirty white car.

Not sure if it's just confirmation bias or that those colors are particularly popular with the driving appliance types.

Yesterday I saw some dipshit in a Dodge Ram that was flat blacked with no lights. It's way harder to see those things when they don't reflect light.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Eifert Posting posted:

Wait there are people who just sit in first gear with their clutch down at red lights?

Why would you do that?

I've heard you get in trouble in the UK driving test if you don't do that when stopped. I guess the idea is to make it faster to take off again if you're about to get rear-ended.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

davebo posted:

They should just make like a balsa wood bridge a block before that bridge at the same height, so if a truck breaks through it they know their truck is too tall, then charge them $6,000 for replacement of the wood.

This is like my idea of throwing toddler mannequins filled with ketchup at cars who speed in playground zones.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Some of our neighbourhoods now have "Community Pace Cars" which are random cars with bumper stickers to make sure you don't speed. They are driven by the exact kind of person you imagine.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Best part is how BMW destroyed his car trying to catch someone who already had their license plate on video.

Also they called the cops on the wrong plate number.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

B4Ctom1 posted:

Some kids were doing this over the holiday in the school parking lot and knocked the power out to the high school. With nobody there to notice all the pipes froze, broke, and flooded the school into a block of ice.

New Edge Mustang bumper finial? Colour feels wrong, though: definitely something with a more prominent (Japanese?) bumper beam.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 7, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

sleepy.eyes posted:

Saw about 9 cars at a red in the left lane and no one behind the semi in the right. I understand that a lot of people don't like to be behind them, but do you really trust that the goobers in front of you are gonna be a) paying attention and b) accelerating more quickly than one semi?

A couple years ago, I came up to like five cars in a dying lane and a semi in the live lane. Usually when this happens the semi starts slower than usual to be courteous to the idiots who can't read a sign on the other end of the intersection, but not today.

I tucked in behind the semi because I didn't like my chances of beating the semi with five other cars, and sure enough, the second car in line came to a complete stop and got rear ended after the first slowly-accelerating car cut off the semi at the last minute to make it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

How is it that every time one of those videos gets posted, there's always some guy who saw the truck driving along with its dump bed up, about to hit a sign/bridge and thought "I should tailgate this guy, yeah, that's what I'm gonna do."

Can't just stop on the highway: gotta drive through the carnage really fast like an action movie.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

The regulations only specify DRL's control the headlights, so that's what got implemented! Thinking outside the box is someone else's department.

Transport Canada is pushing new manufacturing standards, mandatory by Sept. 1 2020:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tail-lights-head-lamps-safety-phantom-vehicle-transport-canada-regulations-crash-1.4279458

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

It's a long rear end road through nothing to nowhere. Which is why it would have minimal traffic.

I mean, our original concept for Trans Mountain to Tide Water 1 was to drive the Alcan highway, and I was starting to collect spares and figure out packing for the Civic. Then we switched to BC, which made it a lot more pleasant.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

This feels like a lot of effort to go to.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

This conversation wouldn't be happening if all trailers were required to be on fire at all times!!!

Just hook up the air brake lines to the top of the trailer so it blows off the snow whenever you tap the brakes. Simple!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

bolind posted:

^^^^^^Jeeeesus

Lots of interesting things going on in that vid. Leftmost car clearly saw things coming and managed to stop in time. RAV4 flipping over surprised me, but it was probably compounded by white Ford acting as a backstop. Motorcycle guy should go buy a lottery ticket. And Redlight Runner McMusclecar can get hosed, but given the video evidence that's hopefully already happening. Oh, and rightmost Acura person picked the right time to be on Facebook and not see the light changing.

SUVs and cute utes will roll over at the drop of a hat when they get hit, especially if they get T-boned turning left. Every couple of weeks there's a new picture on the news of some RAV4 or Rogue rolled onto its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, trying to turn itself over, but it can't, not without your help. But you're not helping.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Flint Ironstag posted:

Your mom was not wrong, they were decent looking. And, as an auto technician, I made more than a few $$$ off of them, back when they were still common. I haven't had to work on one in several years, though. I haven't worked on one in several years.

One of my coworkers had one that he was proud of cresting 430,000 km on. Then he got divorced, his ex-wife got it, and promptly nuked it by not keeping the oil topped up.

Like so many other stories I am told, it became grist for the mill: http://seatsafetyswitch.com/post/167737429617/back-in-the-bad-old-days-i-was-a-country-music

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I mean, heart in the right place, but wouldn't he just jump into the gaps between the trailers?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Rude Dude With Tude posted:

Hopefully we're not sharing the road with this pair of absolute dildos for much longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFvLeFfBjQA

There's some kind of metaphor for British democracy in there.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

nm posted:

Looking at the fact that the hood appears to still be hinged on to the car and folded up as it bounces, I think it worked and dude is alive, probably with relatively minor injuries because for all of audi's faults they are safe as gently caress.

The six and a half miles of densely packed Volkswagen partsbin in front of the steering wheel probably helps. It might even run better now that it's re-seated a few of the connectors.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

:psyduck: How did they get in there in the first place?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

The Door Frame posted:

I dunno, I have a coworker that has just 2 bumper stickers, an anti-fluoride sticker and a 9/11 truth one. I consider those incredibly stupid

She's bitchy about the young kids at work and talks about conspiracy theory documentaries on Netflix sometimes, but she's otherwise pretty agreeable

My neighbour peeled off the Infowars "9/11 was an inside job" sticker recently from his ancient S10, and I'm afraid to ask why.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

NoWake posted:

I was behind a cavalier with no turn signals or brake lights one morning last week. We met up at a stop sign and I hollered out the window to tell him so; he pulled into a gas station at the next light and I figured all was well.

Back behind him on the way home this evening, no signals or brake lights still, except now he's got his arm out the window using hand signals.

It's legal! In my province hand signals also overrule electric signals.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You don't need a full bridge, you just need a sick BMX jump.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Sigma posted:

California is scary for that reason. People have no idea their tires are gone until they have to start or water hits the ground

The rain and weather is so infrequent that when the rain hits, it pulls a lot of oil out of the asphalt too.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The Aussie cams are nearly as bad as the Russian ones.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

The snow is littered with bumper chunks and red plastic because people are garbage.

I think my favourite winter detritus I found was the entire lower half of a Neon bumper in my front lawn's snowbank when it began to melt about three years ago.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Protocol7 posted:

I'd like to tell you all a story about a restaurant in Denver called The Hornet.

Just this year, The Hornet has had three separate cars crash into the front of the store. Pictured above is #3, who crashed into The Hornet a few days ago.

The Hornet is on Broadway and 1st, both two very straight streets in Denver.

In short, the moral of the story is: People still can't drive.

Somebody plowed through a hipster diner near here. When they reopened, they put all the broken glass on display, installed a 3000lb concrete planter in front of the window, and held a social media contest for a gift card to driving school.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

Alternatively or in conjunction with putting the wheels on dollies.

Wonder if there's enough space front/rear for the lean when you jack it up..

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Thats a diverging diamond right? I went through a few... it's pretty easy to figure out first time.

The one here (the first in the country!) has signage that isn't quite aligned with the lanes, so they painted arrows on the lanes themselves to tell you where to go.

Those arrows are white.

Snow is also white.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

waffle iron posted:

I was watching some car relair YouTube video that said that the sensors for even the mildest of lane assists are very expensive to replace and align when there is front end damage. Not to mention that it all has to be calibrated by a dealer.

Anyone had an experience with that scenario?

On the Subaru Eyesight setup, the cameras need to be recalibrated every time you swap the windshield. In Alberta, when you go through a windshield every year if you do a lot of highway driving, this adds up.

You also need a higher grade of windshield than the average XYG Chinese bullshit because any optical distortion at the top of the glass makes the system fail the self-test. Any rock chip or crack in the 'safe area' also disables the entire system until you replace the windshield, and it doesn't work in the snow, driving rain or when there is too much salt on the road.

Some of the indie windshield shops can do the calibration now.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 31, 2019

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm waiting for those features to be on all vehicles so I'm less likely to be taken out on my bike by someone in a car not paying attention.

I bet this stuff does not do enough to adequately protect motorcyclists or bicycles, because a bicyclist falls between the two strict classes of "car-sized things" and "pedestrians" that are part of the government test standards.

The automakers are 100% doing a very close reading of these standards. I also hope your riding gear isn't all black.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I keep a couple plastic trim tools in my glovebox for chipping loose the gas door when it inevitably gets snow inside it, melts, and then refreezes shut.

Last week I was at the gas station and someone was trying to get theirs to open, and I helped them bust it loose. IMHO, gas stations should be legally required to provide those.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Devyl posted:

So I've made probably around 25-30 million screws for Nissan in the past 6-7 months with an "E" on top of the screw. Anyone in the Nissan workforce can tell me where my screws are ending up? If you need pics I can post a few.

What does the E stand for?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Colostomy Bag posted:

What Uhaul should do is take that picture and plaster it all over their vans as a mural from hell with the tagline "Adventures in moving."

They could do a whole series.

A struggle and a glint of steel in a New Mexico IHOP parking lot.
Crossing the centre line in a fit of sleep deprivation.
Daughter gets caught looking up abortion clinics in the new town.
Spending all evening in a tire shop in Port Angeles WA because the DOT-illegal Chinese tires U-Haul slapped onto this thing delaminated.
Dad is done doing what the pigs want.
Mom falling through the dry-rotted front porch stairs of the new home.
Quick, which box did you pack Grandpa's pills in?!
The word "divorce" accidentally said out loud for the first time while gearing down to climb Donner Pass.
Finding out the first night that the new house is the start point for street racing tournaments.
Disapproving stares at the grocery store, their clique invaded.
Neighbours showing you the photos of the murder scene that used to be in your basement.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 5, 2019

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Lord Stimperor posted:

I have a slight paranoia when driving a rental that this is precisely what I'll do, confuse the cars 6th with reverse at speed. Would the transmission allow to be shifted into reverse when going forward at speed?

Most 6 speed cars either have a special thing you have to do to get into reverse (pull up a collar, push down the knob) or lock out reverse if you’re not going at it from 1st gear.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Ripoff posted:

That's a hell of a way to save a few bucks. :stare:

One fare is $3.50! You ride the back of the bus twice, that's $7.00! And that's almost an entire combo from Wendy's.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Entropist posted:

The new trend here is huffing nitro while driving. Recently someone wrecked some yards and 7 parked cars by doing so, while putting videos of herself huffing balloons on Instagram. She tried to get away but was blocked by bystanders, and when they opened the car a bunch of balloons fell out and a huge nitro tank was seen in the back. In Amsterdam you can also see people zooming around on mopeds and scooters while inhaling from a balloon. Fun times!

https://www.lc.nl/friesland/Auto-met-daarin-Ex-on-the-Beach-realityster-Lena-richt-ravage-aan-in-Leeuwarden-24405877.html

Nitrous is supposed to go inside the car, not the driver.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

First time I was given nitrous at the dentist, it was a Saturday so someone had just queued up the entirety of Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon on the office speakers.

I've never enjoyed dental work so much before or since.

This feels like the kind of dental experience I would explicitly request. gently caress sedation dentistry.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

LloydDobler posted:

For me, the dentist got me high and then put a walkman on me with a Journey tape in it, and while I was listening the batteries started dying so the tape slowed down... I couldn't understand what I was hearing and it was super trippy.

My dentist just has a TV. I think being forced to watch and listen to panel news shows on nitrous is probably banned under the Geneva convention.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Honestly I'm kind of surprised you stop for people who put on their reverse lights. Around here people get in their car, turn it on, shift into reverse, then answer their texts/write their dissertation. Reverse lights are no clear indicator of intent anymore and nobody treats them as such. If anything people will speed up to actively block you from backing out before they get by.

I've been run over by a car before, so on foot in a parking lot I'm pretty wary of any indicator that Chubbo McDirtyBackupCamera is about to come tearing out of his spot and crush me.

There's been a few times where I've had to make a polite slap on their rear glass as they wonder what those feet and legs are doing on their camera screen while they're trying to back up.

Backup cameras are dehumanizing in the same way remote drone strikes are, I assume.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

This is the correct response to your local U-Haul refusing to offer the sideshow-special 5.3-infused shortbox pickup trucks to younger renters.