Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
The problem with countdown signals is that it doesn't really work well with preemptive signals - intersections that detects the amount of traffic and change the lights accordingly.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Don't forget slowly creeping over the line as well. Happens all the time.
Speaking of red lights, I don't get people who race up to it and the brake hard. Just lift the gas and try not to stop, and hopefully it'll turn green before you have to stop. Unless you are blocking people who can turn and such.

No, you should steadily apply the brakes until you're 50 yards away, and then roll towards the intersection at just above idling speed, around 5-10 mph. Then you have a rolling start if it suddenly turns green!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

nsaP posted:

Watching the ones that flip out and drop back quick makes my day. I am that person you share the road with,

No you're not. You've learned that it's possible to use the signal before turning the wheel. I don't think that invention has made it here yet :sigh:

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cugel the Clever posted:

You know, I was thinking, "Maybe CIWS is a bit overkill," up until the point I saw this post. Now I think we should bring the hammer down on every single arrogant entitled poo poo that thinks their momentary inconvenience is worth the lives of innocent kids.

Get help. You don't need to let your sociopathy define who you are! :wave:

Honestly I don't even know why other cars are allowed on the road when there might be children innocent kids around. Make the everyone get on a bus.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

GutBomb posted:

Don’t you live in Sweden?
When I lived there (admittedly it was 18 years ago) it was the law to just run your headlights all the time and the car we had didn’t even have a way to turn off the headlights outside of pulling the fuse.

Don't know about the person you quoted, but about ten years ago cars here in the EU started having the rear lights off in day time. I imagine it was pushed through by the manufacturers to ale the car go a few feet longer per litre/gallon.
The first generations of those cars didn't have light sensors, so they'd have rear lights off at night. Newer cars do, but they rarely go on in heavy rain. On other cars I've seen them suddenly turn on as they go under an underpass or into a tunnel, acting much like a brake light u til you register that it's weaker and only two lights. I don't know which is worse.

At least always-on rear lights are coming back. Is it just because LED are efficient enough that it doesn't matter, or has the number or rear end collisions gone up measurably?

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

Are any of the inchers driving manual transmission vehicles? That would make it even less explicable.

We have plenty of drivers like that here in Denmark and I assume the rest of Europe. I always figured it was a boredom thing or something.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
It also depends on the type of fog. If the ground is warm and relatively humid air suddenly cools at night to form fog, there's a reasonable chance that there is no fog near the ground. In that case fog lights, if they're actually low enough on the car, will absolutely help, and main head lights will just scatter in the fog and blind everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

totalnewbie posted:

When you get right down to it, what is a headlight but a very specialized flashlight?

A big lens assembly that focuses the light onto the road and not into other people's eyes (when adjusted and used correctly). Flashlights can have narrow or wide beams, but they're almost always uniform in shape.