Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

There is a motorway junction that is rather notorious in the south east of England in my town, namely Junction 10 on the M20.

Now the thing is with this junction is that if everyone went into the correct lanes and stayed there, there wouldn't be any issues at all. Everything is clearly marked, and there are crosshatches in the road to guide you into the lanes from the entry roads. Unfortunately, people do not use the correct lanes, and instead opt to try and cross three lanes of traffic to get to the exit road they wanted, thus causing mayhem (and the occasional collision) in the process. For example:

So what will often happen here is you will get someone in the rightmost lane (London M20) who suddenly realises they actually want to take the M20 down towards Dover, so will then attempt to cross two lanes over to the left to get into the lanes that will allow them onto the slip road. Now if the road is empty all the massive lane changing actually doesn't really affect anyone, but during rush hour when it is very heavy traffic everyone chopping and changing brings the whole junction to a stand still. To the point that it is actually faster to go around the town the long way than just cross one simple junction.

Which leads me to the next bit.

Here we have the A292, as you can see it has two lanes northbound, and normally during rush hour the leftmost lane is packed solid and moving much slower than the often empty right hand lane.

So you end up with a lot of very impatient people who decide they are fed up of waiting and decide to hop in the right hand lane and gun it, sailing past all the people queuing. Such brilliance you might think, after all, its not like there could possibly be a good reason as to why one lane is full and the other is empty right?

Oh.

Looks like the right lane was actually to get onto the slip road to join the M20, and not a way into town. So what you then get is a bunch of people trying to merge back into the left hand lane, which no one lets them do because they were assholes who tried to jump the queue in the first place, and then traffic starts to back up even more when the people who actually do want to get onto the motorway can't because of these idiots in the way.

Stay in your loving lanes people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

How much of that is actually painted onto your roads, and how much of that is from Google Maps? Those lane markings are so clear compared to what I usually see that I can't even tell if they are real.

You're going to have to show images of what sort of road markings you normally see where you are, because I can't imagine road markings so terrible that it would cause such trouble distinguishing between road paint and Google overlay. :psyduck: As other posters have already said though, the "Hythe Road" text in the second image, and the "A292" text in the third and fourth images are overlaid by Google, all other markings and text are actually painted on the road.

Also, because we in Great Britain love our roundabouts so goddamn much, here's another one the other side of town which also can be quite a nightmare at rush hour.

Same thing, all the lanes are clearly marked with destinations, road numbers and arrows and poo poo, there are crosshatches to guide you in, and people still try to force their way into the lane they really want because they didn't pay attention to the dozens of signs and road markings until the last minute.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I looked up the roads in my town on Google Maps and can only conclude that they ARE enhancing the road markings somehow. It shows crisp, clear arrows indicating which lanes are turn lanes on roads where the paint has been 100% worn away for 10+ years.

In real life, the yellow lines are just barely visible and everything in white simply does not exist. I especially like the straight/left arrows on the lane where straight or left are the only two possibilities.

I'd say its more likely because these photos are a few years old and the paintwork has degraded since then.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

This is a bit of a rant, so please forgive the long windiness. With my new job, now every weekday morning and evening I take the A249 as part of my commute to and from work. The A249 is not a safe road, in fact, its one of the most dangerous roads in Kent, which makes driving on it each day a mini adventure in its own right. Why you might ask?

Well there are many reasons, lets start looking at a few.

The national speed limit for dual carriageways in the UK is 70mph, unless signposted otherwise. Now keep that in mind, and imagine you are coming off the road on the left here and wanting to merge onto the road, or worse still, go across to the other side.

Oh hey, you want to join the A249? See that nice little arrow? Thats how much room you have to get up to 70mph, no sliproad for you buddy!

Seriously, slip roads are for pussies, you only need a few metres to effectively merge into 70mph traffic.

OK, you get a sliproad with this one, but its very tiny, and not signposted clearly, or at all really.

Now one stretch of the road has a speed limit of 50mph for reasons soon explained, so you might think some of these junctions and roads might get a big easier yes? Nope, gently caress you.

Now the reason part of it has a 50mph speed limit is because Detling Hill is quite a steep hill, although it is considerably gentler going up than it is down, but even so is signposted because there are huge rear end slow HGVs having to slowly crawl up the entire way. Going down I would daresay is a 20% gradient in places, and has lots of nice twists and turns.

So going down an already very steep and turny hill, you also have to contend with HGVs going way too fast right next to you, or alternatively some idiot in an Audi tailgating because hurtling down the most dangerous part of the most dangerous road in Kent just isn't fast enough for him.

Oh, and did I mention that the A249 also played host to a 130 car pileup?

So why is this in the people you share a road with? Because without fail at least once a week, someone will get impatient with the HGVs climbing up the hill, and will do something stupid and end up blocking or partly blocking the road. Which jams up the A249. Which jams up junction 7 on the M20 motorway. Which jams up the motorway because no one can get off the junction, which also jams up the roads exiting Maidstone, all because some fucker couldn't wait a few minutes.

Or someone (usually an Audi for some reason) goes flying down the hill, realises that the corners are far too sharp and steep for their speed, and end up slamming their brakes on, or swerving over and crossing lanes, which scares the poo poo out of everyone behind them.

Or alternatively I am heading up the road at 70mph, and see a couple of people joining the A249 on one of those lovely non sliproads, and I'll move over to the right lane to give them room to merge and get up to speed. Except the second person merging decides that the first person merging isn't accelerating fast enough, and decides to switch lanes without indicating causing me to have to brake as hard as I can without locking the wheels up. You want to change lanes? Thats fine, but you don't loving do it at 30mph when there is a car coming up next to you at 70mph.

I mean christ people, this road is dangerous enough already, you don't need to act like retards and make it worse.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

So I'm visiting the US, and I've only been here for three days and I've already seen more crazy poo poo in that time than I have in the last six months back home. Do all Americans drive like such maniacs?

I do like your roads though, can't say I care much for the cars but the roads make things a heck of a lot easier. I suppose it's just as well the speed limits are so low otherwise I'd probably be dead right now.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

KennyLoggins posted:

MA Goons will know that this intersection is much more fun:

http://goo.gl/JepXGB

I see your intersection and raise you The Magic Roundabout.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...b6c0548c1?hl=en

:suicide:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Why is it whenever I take the A251 to work in the mornings, I always get stuck behind some fuckwit in a Citroen C3, or a Fiat Punto, or a Nissan Micra who insists in doing 15mph under the speed limit and there is never anywhere safe to overtake the bastards?

Pisses me off in the same vein when you get some oval office dawdling up the slip road onto the motorway doing 40. The whole point of a slip road being so long is to get up to 70mph so you can merge safely, not dawdle onto the motorway making the entire leftmost lane move over to avoid smashing into you.

Why is there this idiotic notion that slow automatically equals safe?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Actually this reminds me of something I noticed while I was on holiday in Florida. Everywhere I looked on the highways there was always a substantial amount of tyre debris to be seen. Seriously, whats the deal with that?

I literally saw more tyre wreckage during two weeks in the US than I have in my entire life in the UK.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I know this thread is normally about those that we don't want to share a road with, but watch this if you want to think about those that you do want to share the road with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzBInt4zljQ

Faith in humanity restored. :unsmith:

Speaking of people you share the road with, I don't know what it is lately with people tailgating in the middle lane of the motorway. If you want to go faster, there is an entire lane to the right of you where you can happily overtake and speed off into the distance if you want to.

I had one similar the other day, a guy in some Citroen van driving right up my arse while I was in the middle lane. I saw a lorry moving out into the middle lane to overtake another one up ahead, so I moved to the right hand lane. The Citroen then starts trying to undertake me now I was out of the way. :wtc: Didn't work out for him though, as the gap between the lorry ahead closed fast along with the space he would need to get in front of me and overtake. Typically an Audi or two had rocketed up behind me and blocked off that way as well, so he was stuck doing 55mph until the lorry moved back into the leftmost lane.

Seriously, he could have avoided getting trapped by either just overtaking me like he was so desperate to, or moving out behind me and overtaking the lorry after I did.

Some people.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Last year an old school buddy of mine was killed in a traffic collision in the town centre. It has recently gone to court, and it has been heard that the defendant was not only driving without insurance, but was going at around 70-80mph at the time of the crash. Bear in mind that this is a heavily built up area and the speed limit is 30mph. In addition, the road leading up to where the crash happened was not a great distance from a roundabout you need to cross, and has a pedestrian crossing and 3 sets of traffic lights, and to top it off is on a very noticeable gradient.

He has denied driving dangerously but "admits" to driving carelessly. Not driving carelessly my loving arse, there is no loving way you can get up to that speed on that road in the time and space available without doing so ahead of time and in a very dangerous and deliberate manner.

If he gets the maximum sentence he could be looking at 14 years in prison. Heres hoping.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/ashford/news/man-to-face-court-over-16258/
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/ashford/news/games-shop-boss-killed-by-27613/

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Was on my way to Canterbury today, and on my way there on the other side of the road there is a Micra with two old ladies sitting inside chatting away. Except their Micra wasn't moving, it was just sitting in the road, foot on the brakes, just doing nothing while they nattered away, and an increasing queue of traffic was building up behind them.

I should point out as well this is on a 60mph single carriageway.

Some people. :psyduck:

Also sounds to me all the intersection problems people are having in this thread could be easily solved by replacing your intersections with roundabouts. :britain:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I sometimes wonder if the solution to people not paying attention and doing other poo poo while driving is to make driving more difficult and more involved rather than easier. Its much easier to use your phone or apply makeup if you are driving an automatic with lane assist and brake assist and all the other various electronic wizardry you have now. Trying to do those things in a manual without any such assists is drat near impossible unless you are cruising on a motorway.

Or would it just lead to people trying to do those things anyway and just stalling out/crashing?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I used a poor choice of words, I should have said more involving as opposed to more difficult. Ultimately I can see where the replies are coming from and they're bang on the money really. Perhaps as someone who enjoys driving, has a hot hatch and does a lot of rural driving as opposed to a commuter who has to endure endless stop start congestion in cities perhaps I just can't understand the mentality.

It seems to me as an outsider that the US has a very slack driving education system. I have tried to google how it actually works along with what is expected of a learner, but all the results are basically pages saying how easy the US one is and how hard the UK one is in comparison. If an American would explain what a typical learning process is like I'd be grateful.

TrinityOfDeath posted:

This is an accurate statement of how things work in some cities. In Toledo, you can safely bet 50% of the cars on the road have no insurance, old tires, zero brakes and a driver glued to the cell phone. It would cost more to maintain those cars then they are worth. It is a sad state to be in, people have to get to work somehow. The public transportation is pretty bad around here.

I see this thrown about a lot, how is this legal? In the UK and most of Europe there is some form of annual inspection (MOTs in the UK) to ensure your car is safe and roadworthy. To fail one of these basically renders your vehicle illegal to drive on public roads until the issues are rectified. I tried googling again, but it seems the US doesn't seem to have anything like this apart from emissions. This can't be right surely?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

davebo posted:

I think it varies by state, and we do have emissions inspections every 2 years in Maryland, but we only have to have the car inspected when we go to sell it, or if you move here from out of state car and need to reregister it for Maryland. But to answer your question of how it's legal., it's legal because of freedom :911:

Galler posted:

Depends on the state/area. Some have no inspections, some only have emissions, some have basic safety inspections. Also, illegally driving a non-compliant vehicle is only a problem if you get caught. If you have to choose between driving an uninsured/unregistered/uninspected vehicle or not having a job then many people choose the job.

Good lord. :psyduck: Over here you can fail the MOT for having a number plate that is too dirty. Yes you could clean it straight away and have another MOT and pass, but there are a lot of silly easily avoided pitfalls that can jump out at you.

Do you not have automatic numberplate recognition in the states? Over here police cars are fitted with automatic numberplate scanners that scan your plate and check with a central database. Everything about the car is kept in this database, including the details of the registered keeper, if it has been reported stolen, whether there is a valid insurance policy on the car, if the road tax has been paid for the car, if it has passed its last MOT or not etc. Incidentally this is why we have strict regulations on numberplate designs, and having an obscured plate or a design with incorrect font/spacing/colours could land you with a £1000 fine. So whilst you can get away with it for a while its only a matter of time before the recognition system catches you out.

I'm going out for a short while so I'll have to respond to the stuff about the US driving test later, but holy poo poo that really is laughably easy.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Safety Dance posted:

On both counts, laws vary widely from state to state, sometimes county to county.

Where I learned to drive, the minimum requirements were:
- Be 15
- Pass an anti-drug education course at school
- Pass a written exam detailing basic road rules and signs
- Receive learner's permit
- Take driving course or drive at least 40 hours with a licensed driver in the passenger's seat
- Take basic driving exam (bring vehicle up to 25mph and stop, reverse in a straight line, parallel park, drive a few blocks on public roads)
- Receive driver's license

Thanks for this, quite a difference. Alright then, so for contrast heres how it works in the UK:

Firstly you need to get a provisional driving licence, which you can get from the age of 15 and 9 months, however you cannot operate a motor car until you are 17. There are two parts to the process, the theory test, and the practical test. You can take and pass the theory test from the same age you can get a provisional, and you must pass the practical test within 2 years of passing the theory. However, given you can't drive a car until you are 17, most people don't bother until they are at least on the verge of turning 17.

The theory test consists of two parts; a series of multiple choice questions, and a series of hazard perception tests.
- There are 50 multiple choice questions.
- These 50 questions are taken at a random from a bank of 1000 questions.
- Some of the questions have multiple answers.
- You have 57 minutes to complete this part of the test.
- The pass mark is 43 correct out of 50.
- Hazard perception involves viewing 14 video clips from the drivers point of view.
- Each clip has a hazard that presents itself, however one of the clips will have two hazards.
- You have to click the mouse as soon as you detect the hazard. It uses a points system based off of how early you spot the hazard on a sliding scale from 5 points to 1.
- Naturally failing to spot the hazard awards 0 points.
- If you click constantly and regularly throughout the clip you are automatically awarded 0 points to prevent cheating.
- I frankly think this part of the test is bullshit because you are not allowed points for spotting a hazard as it develops, only once it has developed. Also the clips are really poor quality.
- The maximum amount of points you can get per clip is 5 (10 for the clip with two hazards.
- The passing score is 44 out of 75.

So once you've passed your theory you can take the practical test. There is no real requirement for a minimum amount of hours spent learning to drive, you just have to demonstrate that you are capable of passing the test. Generally those who've spent little time learning and practicing don't get far. Typically the practical test takes around 40 minutes and will include the following:

- A variety of traffic conditions (for example, crowded residential roads at 20mph, normal built up areas at 30mph, dual carriageways at 70mph).
- Normal stops.
- An emergency stop (if a safe opportunity presents itself).
- Angle starts (pulling out from behind a parked vehicle).
- A hill start.
- One of the following; reverse around a corner to the left, turn in the road (3 point turn, but they'll allow up to 5), reverse bay park, or parallel park.
- 10 minutes of independent driving. This basically means general directions from the examiner while they leave you to follow signs and traffic signals on your own.

Any mistakes you make during the practical are recorded as faults. There are three types of fault, minor, serious and dangerous. Minor faults are stupid poo poo like not checking mirrors before indicating, or stalling, or even not using wipers if it starts raining, that kind of thing. A serious fault is something that could potentially place you in a dangerous position, like changing lanes without looking or signalling. Repeatedly making the same minor fault over and over again could also be classed as a serious. A dangerous fault is actually placing yourself in a dangerous position, or creating a situation where the instructor has to use his controls or cause other road users to take evasive action. You can get up to 15 minors without failing the test, but 1 serious fault and you fail. If you get a dangerous fault you also fail the test, although if you was to really do something serious enough the test will be stopped immediately.

So if you make it through that, congratulations, you've got a shiny UK driving licence. Don't rack up 6 points on your licence (two speeding offences is enough to do this) within 2 years of passing or you lose it and will have to take it again!

Tl;dr: UK driving tests are hard.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Shifty Pony posted:

In Texas we used to have some insane percentage of uninsured drivers in the state; around 25% or so. They updated the database systems and have automatic plate scanning with automated lookup to those databases and the state courts have ruled that a "uninsured" hit is probable cause to pull someone over. Most of the local patrol cars don't have the cameras mounted but I have seen them in some highway patrol cars. We are supposedly down to 14% now.

The minimum liability limits are stupidly low though at just 25k property damage per incident so not having underinsured motorist coverage is just dumb.

Whats the penalty for driving uninsured in Texas?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

A guy I used to work with posted an image on Facebook today complaining that he had ended up with a speeding ticket and a parking fine in the same day, stating that it wasn't even an excess speed.

How fast was he going? 54 in a 40 zone. Not excess speed indeed.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

revmoo posted:

It's less than 15 over it's not really a huge amount. He was pretty much going the slowest you could drive and still potentially get a ticket. I'd call 25 over excessive.

I should point out this is in the United Kingdom. Automated speed cameras allow you to travel 10% over the limit with an additional 2mph on top of that, so you can go by a speed camera in a 40 zone at 46mph without getting caught. Same applies if it was a 20mph zone, you can do up to 24mph and you're ok.

Plus bear in mind that his speedo would over read and he probably thought he was doing ~58mph in a 40 zone. Pretty stupid thing to do regardless of opinions of speed and safety.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

InitialDave posted:

I will say that if it were one of those roads where it's been a 60 limit since a limit existed, and they've just decided to knock it down to 40 and slap a camera on it, I'd completely understand him being a bit pissed off. I've nearly been caught out a couple of times by that.

Either way, I've always felt the same way about cameras. A copper stops you and tells you you're being a dick, you'll quite possibly be somewhat meek and feel contrition. A bit of paper comes through your letterbox a week and a half later? It just annoys you.

Oh don't get me wrong, I dislike arbitrary speed limits as well, and I particularly dislike automated systems that cannot look at a situation in context. However driving through an area with speed camera signs up everywhere at a speed that you know will get you fined if you get caught is really plain dumb.

revmoo posted:

I have literally never seen a speed camera or red light camera in my entire life somehow. Thank god.

There is literally one speed camera in my town, right next to a school (where they should be frankly). Yet dumbasses still manage to get caught.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

EightBit posted:

Some schadenfreude for you guys:

This is a thing of beauty.

Snapped this when I nipped to the local Tescos.

There is some consolation that people who do poo poo like this in council run car parks that have a fee will usually get a parking ticket for using two spaces when they only paid for one.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Fo3 posted:

"I want to be in front of you, but not go as fast as you're going right now", ie think they get to tell people what speed they should drive.
the message police and government constantly tell us is "Speed kills" don't you know? Absolute morons still want to be in front though.

I'd be inclined to say insurance fraud actually.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Some guy in a big trailer was doing a 3 point turn on the M20 southbound yesterday, or at least thats what it looked like :psyduck:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I feel like this might be the right time for a quote from the Doctor

Why has "your" been abbreviated? :psyduck:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

PT6A posted:

This is what concerns me about bike/pedestrian shared spaces (my city is actually doing this, because it is run by mental defectives). You just know someone's going to get pasted and be seriously injured or killed (oh wait; it happened already, that's why the new bike/pedestrian area became pedestrian-only in the first place! I'm sure it won't happen again, right?).

Thats interesting because over in Europe a lot of town and city centres have been introducing shared space areas (where it is one big space that pedestrians, cyclists and cars all use as opposed to pavement - cycle lane - road lane) and to the surprise of basically everyone its actually improved safety and led to less incidents.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Driving down a two lane road on my way to work today, and decide as a nice big gap has appeared in the lane next to me I'll switch lanes so I'm in the right one to join the motorway further down the road. Traffic is moving at about 15-20mph, and the gap I want to move into is about 3-4 car lengths long between a truck and a Land Rover. As soon as I flick my indicator on before I start moving in, the Land Rover guns it to block the gap up, nearly causing a collision and forcing me to abort.

oval office.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/ashford/news/drivers-lucky-escape-38900/

This is basically not far from where I am, and has a 20mph speed limit.

How?

How?

:psyduck:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

InitialDave posted:

That seems a trifle disproportionate to me. I mean, the best part of a grand and five points for what is, basically, lack of courtesy? Plus the cost of actually taking them to court?

Strikes me as an issue better served by the on-the-spot fines mentioned in the article, or a good old-fashioned Don't Let Me See You Again Sunshine chat.

Only when a lane hogger's entire bloodline has been expunged from the annals of history can we say that justice has truly been served.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

The reason the fine was so heavy was because be failed to attend court, normally it's a £100 fixed penalty and 3 points.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

InitialDave posted:

Ok, yeah, that's a good way to get the book thrown at you.

There's a difference between that and obstinately sitting in the middle pissing off everyone behind you.

Have to say, yes, there can be good reasons to keep in the middle lane, and that would be why I'm not completely in love with it being on the books. If plod's opinion of what's a good reason doesn't align with your own, you're going to get stuck for it.

Yeah sorry I was phone posting from work so I couldn't go into much more detail. Basically he was stopped by police, and like most offenses of its kind, offered a fixed penalty. So that means you pay the £100, your license is electronically endorsed with 3 penalty points, and you go on your merry way. This guy refused the fixed penalty, so the matter gets referred to court. With offenses such as these, you'd better have a damned good reason to not take the fixed penalty as the costs for losing a court case are very high in comparison. So this guy decides to go to court to fight the matter...and doesn't bother to show up. On top of it he's now trying to play the victim, so gently caress him.

There does seem to be a lot of people online who don't grasp the concept of what lane hogging actually is. I see comments all the time from people along the lines of "but what if theres heavy traffic and lorries in the inside lane and I'm going past them?!". Well that isn't loving lane hogging is it? Thats using lanes as they are meant to be used. As soon as you've cleared any slower traffic to your left, if is safe and practical to do so you move back into the inside lane.

Honestly anyone who can't grasp this simple concept shouldn't be driving.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

InitialDave posted:

Yep, that's fine. However, if a copper disagrees with your opinion on whether it's justifiable lane use, you still get the fine and points.

Did you stay out because you saw there was a junction ahead, and wanted to be clear of any traffic coming down the sliproad? Or there's another lorry further up the road that you'll just have to pull back out for anyway? Or were you just mindlessly sitting there because you couldn't be arsed to pull back in?

I don't think the sliproad example would hold water, as it is the responsibility of traffic on the sliproad to give way to traffic already on the motorway. If you spotted cars joining in front of you and you switched lanes to avoid having to brake, then I think you'd be fine, as you are merely overtaking slower traffic. Likewise if you see a lorry up ahead that you'd have to pull back out for almost straight away anyway, I doubt you'd have a problem. Personally I use a 15 second rule; if its going to take me longer than 15 seconds to catch up to the lorry ahead I'll pull in, if not I'll stay where I am.

Bear in mind that these new regulations for penalties have been in effect for 2 years now and its taken this long for the first prosecution. This was also someone who was driving 10mph under the speed limit and persistently hogging the middle lane for quite some time before they pulled him over. Basically I think you'd have to hog lanes for a long time before you get pulled over and issued a fixed penalty, its a bit like how (around here at least) can happily whizz past police cars at 80mph and they don't give a poo poo. Staying in the middle lane as you're going to be passing a lorry 100m ahead of you anyway? You'll be fine.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

InitialDave posted:

Probably not, I just dislike having to rely on plod seeing eye-to-eye with my reasoning. I have the same issue with the "good reason" stuff regarding carrying a locking knife.

I am an awkward bastard, basically.

Understandable, but I think its one of those things that can be avoided with a bit of commonsense. From my experience at least you have to really act out in order to attract the attention of a motorway cop. Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5dL4DPm-DE

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

On the way home from the gym I'm coming up a slip road to join a more or less empty dual carriage way, and theres a person in the lane next to me who decides not to move over to let me on. Which is fair enough, they have right of way and all that, so I bleed a bit of speed to join the road behind them.

Except they slow down to more or less my speed and actually block my entry onto the road. I slow down more, and they slow down more. Eventually I ended up going down to about 15mph as I ran out of slip road while they trundled past flashing their lights before I gunned it to get back up to speed as soon as I was on that carriageway. loving hell if you want to be nice and let me on, move over to the other empty lane, don't loving slow down to let me on creating an incredibly dangerous situation where I cannot merge onto the road because your loving shitbox is in the way matching my speed. You have right of way, just keep at the speed you was doing and I will adjust mine to fit into a gap.

Cunts.

Then further down the road there was a lorry in the inside lane doing 56mph and a Prius overtaking it...at 59mph. This is a 70mph dual carriageway.

Cunts.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

So, people I've shared the road with lately.

This guy was eagerly waiting for an opportunity to chance it.

Why? Why would anyone do this when there is a light controlled crossing right loving next to him. Its a pretty simple process.

1. Pres butan
2. Lite go red, tarffic stop
3. Cross road
4. Yay

Speaking of crossing the road...
http://gfycat.com/LankyOldfashionedIndochinahogdeer

Its a really good idea to look both ways before you step into the road, especially if its at a junction. Luckily I'd noticed she hadn't looked in my direction and had slowed the gently caress down.

Then there was this guy, who:

Flies through an intersection in a left turn lane but cuts in front of everyone else and goes straight on. There are arrows out of frame that clearly point out which lane is which.

Was able to maintain 30mph in a 30 zone, but not without repeatedly drifting over the line.

Cruised at 38-40mph in a 60 zone, despite the road being wide, clear, and with excellent weather and visibility.

Despite cruising at 40mph in a 60 the whole time, upon entering a 40 zone speeds up to about 50mph. Needless to say I caught up with him once the limit changed to 60 again.

The cherry on top of the whole thing? In the bottom right corner of his rear window (sadly it can't be made out on the dashcam), he had a little sticker that read the following:

quote:

IM A BLOOD DONOR
Drive carefully, because you might need me in the future!

I'm driving carefully alright, but not for the reasons he may think.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

John Dough posted:

Are you sure the pedestrian doesn't have priority? That's how it works in the Netherlands, although these kind of rules often differ per jurisdiction. She should've looked either way.

In this situation its a bit murkier. A pedestrian who is already crossing the road at a junction has right over way over any cars who want to turn into that road, and the cars must wait until it is clear to proceed. However a pedestrian is also required to stop at the kerb, look and listen around to ensure it is safe to cross, and then only cross when it is safe to do so. In this instance I had already started to turn into the road when she stepped out, and she failed to stop at the kerb or look around to assess if it was safe. As it happens I had noticed she hadn't looked in my directions and slowed down because pedestrians at this particular junction do this poo poo all the time, and then waved her across when I stopped.

Had I not slowed down and instead hit her, based off the video evidence I would probably be charged with careless driving, as I would have failed to recognise a potential hazard (the idiot pedestrian) and had not adapted my driving to suit the conditions of the road. However right of way is not the be all end all of how the laws work; if you have right of way in a given situation and are in a position to take action to avoid an incident, but fail to do so, you can still be held liable and charged.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

nm posted:

Given the left turn, I think you were actually in the wrong.
In the US, I know that if you'd hit her there unless there was a no peds crossing, you'd be 100% at fault. At an uncontrolled intersection with no crosswalks, every curb to curb is a crosswalk.

There is no such provision in the UK, the only time a pedestrian has right of way is if it is a proper pedestrian crossing or as mentioned earlier a junction they are already in the middle of crossing the road. Even when using a proper crossing you still have to wait for cars to stop before you step out into the road, and you have to give vehicles adequate time to slow down. So this for example:

Even though the woman technically has right of way, she didn't stop at the side to assess it was safe, or to give approaching traffic time to slow down, and acted in a manner that give the driver of the Golf very little time to react. Mercifully the woman only suffered a few scrapes and bruises, and unsurprisingly the driver was not charged with anything.

In any case, not looking before stepping into the road is still dumb as poo poo regardless of what local regulations say. The laws of physics don't give a toss about right of way.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Foxtrot_13 posted:

I am surprised the driver didn't get charged with driving without due care and attention. She approached a zebra crossing with one side obscured by traffic and made no attempt to slow down as she was approaching a dangerous situation.

To be fair, the driver was already going slow, and the pedestrian behaved in a way that defies all logic. Ultimately no one expects a pedestrian to sprint into the road, and when faced with an oncoming vehicle, run in front of it. To prosecute would send entirely the wrong message, the situation was caused by the reckless stupidity of the pedestrian.

Why are you lying in the road you utter utter oval office?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

http://gfycat.com/NecessaryHarmfulDinosaur

Some people just don't understand how to cross a road I guess.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I did just saw a black cab basically force some people posing right in front of him out the way by using his car as a battering ram while they screamed and shouted at him, was quite cathartic.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

No lorry that is not how you should merge onto the motorway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmxRnHxKjoE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Red? Amber? What are these things?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjIATWN3OvY