Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO
I've been doing professional valet parking for a couple of months now, and what little faith I had in my fellow drivers has been further diminished. You wouldn't believe how many people put slippery steering wheel covers on their cars, ridiculous cushions on their seats and hang stupid poo poo from their rearview mirrors. One of my personal favorites is seeing some faded picture of a loved one shoved into their gauge cluster. Why ever would you need to see the gauges? Who needs feedback from their automobile? People are loving animals. Before this job, I could only imagine the lovely condition in which most people drive their cars around, but it's truly eye-opening when you step on somebody's brake pedal and it goes almost all the way to the floor before grabbing. Makes me want to become a cop and just hand out equipment violations like they're going out of style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

ExplodingSims posted:

Ask me about almost wrecking a car yesterday because the reverse gear barely worked and and I had to give it some gas, only to find the brakes barely worked.

And as far as dirty cars go, yeah, you see some poo poo working valet, the worst I've even encountered was a guy who had a small chicken graveyard under his seats. Ugh, how, how do you just throw your bones down like that? I don't always keep my car the cleanest, after working some of my shifts I love to empty out my car. I'm also thankful my car is old enough to have ashtrays in it. They make for the perfect place to throw away receipts, straw wrappers, etc. until I can really clean out my car.

The worst by far is a smoker's car though. Yeah, I know some people like to smoke with the windows down or whatever, but some people man. Nothing better than getting into a customers car and finding ash covering every possible surface, and having all the cheap, cheap plastic be sticky with tar. Oh, and of course the mandatory cup/ashtray in the center console overflowing with ash and butts. I mean, I get smokers get desensitized to the smell of cigarette smoke, but good God, how do you let your car turn into a volcanic wasteland like that? Even the dankest of weedcars I've valeted are still pretty clean.

There was this one lady whose car I parked who I noticed was definitely not all there as I handed her her valet claim check. I hopped into her Mercury Sable or whatever dogshit sedan she was driving and one of my coworkers glanced into the backseat and made a disgusted/amazed face. I turned around to see the backseat covered in McDonald's bags, all the way up from the floor, flowing up over the back seat. The most amazing part was that they were all varying shades of yellow from age. It's interesting getting to look at some people's unique brand of insanity. The company I work for is mostly subcontracted by hospitals, and we happen to have a 2-3 man account at an ER in a kind of ghetto part of the city (or what used to be ghetto before the hospital started expanding) and we see a lot of weird poo poo up there. One morning I was there at 8am and one of the security officers came out to tell me and the other guy there that we had just missed some 10-person melee down on the street a couple hundred feet from the valet area. I guess the families of two guys that wound up in the hospital had some beef with one another and it was brewing all night and finally in the morning they ended up duking it out. A bunch of cop cars rolled in and had to break it up. At like 7AM. In October.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

I was sitting in the supermarket parking lot the other day, after backing my 96 Sonoma into a spot, just counting up some tip money so I knew I had enough before I went in the store, and this maybe 18-19 year old girl hops into her car next to me. Her car is facing the opposite way as mine, so our driver's sides were adjacent. She swings her door open and it goes CLUNK into my front fender. I look up, instinctively give my horn a quick blip and gesture to her "are you serious?" but I sit and finish counting up my money another couple seconds before getting out of the truck. I gracefully eited my vehicle, keenly aware of the speed, weight, position and trajectory of my driver's side door, and inspected what turned out to be no damage whatsoever (not that I would have cared, it's a beater, let's be real) and I looked at her, just sitting in her car, texting/ignoring me. I had half a mind to knock on her window until she opened it up, but I guess some part of me didn't feel like confronting the dumb twat, or maybe that it wasn't really worth getting frustrated about sine the truck was no worse for wear. Part of going to the supermarket closest to my apartment is lowering your expectations of humanity, so I wasn't all that surprised.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

I feel like I don't see a lot of oblivious lane-changing stupidity like you guys post about, but the other night, just a block up from my apartment, some dude decided that he would just casually roll through a left turning lane and create his own zipper merge. Sure man, whatever you need. And I almost crashed into somebody's car today with somebody else's car (valet) when they just flew out of a parking garage without looking or stopping at all. Something that never fails to piss me off though, is pedestrians just meandering across the street, or walking down a road slightly diagonally while traffic waits behind them. I don't know if it's just this city or what, but I see it all the time. Oh, you were making a right turn on this street? Let me just obliviously saunter across it, with no regard for anybody else. At the same time, I feel like blowing the horn at a pedestrian is too much... they're not exactly breaking any rules, just being clueless/selfish.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

Terrible Robot posted:

They also drive and ride about as bad as they look and the interior/instrument cluster is reminiscent of a PowerWheels car. God what a lovely vehicle.

Are you guys serious? I love every generation of these things that I've driven. The first generation is getting a little worse for wear at this point, but still. Maybe it's because my experience with them is exclusively at 15mph or less, but I think they're great. Maybe it's that car-like handling you guys are talking about that makes them so nice to drive. The newest generation is especially great, as with all of the new Fords that are rolling out.