Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Was rear ended, again with no damage, on friday in a tunnel no less so yeah couldn't really stop so get back in after talking to the guy and agree to swap details just in case anything underneath is damaged but of course the guy just peels off at speed as soon as the tunnel finished never to be seen again. No plate on the front and didn't go look at the back of his but yeah people are generally lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

In the Boston area there are lots of Rotorys or Traffic Circles if you will. 99% of people do not know how they work and so will no give way when they are supposed to almost crash into me. This is usually followed with horn blowing and swearing in what can only be described as Bostonian Celtic before I drive away.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

PT6A posted:

My Dad's SUV has a feature that, if you press the brake hard enough after stopping, it will hold the brake until you press the gas again. I thought it was a useless-as-gently caress feature, but I underestimated the retardation of the driving public yet again.

I am guessing that it is an auto which makes it even weirder. My GTI has a similar feature and it is for hill starts since it is a manual. The number of times people have creeped forward and almost hit me sitting in traffic because my break lights are not on, because again manual gearbox, is amazing.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Powershift posted:

Although Uk only gets you an automatic license, and you have to do a road test to drive a standard because they're commie pinko bastards.

Just to note that it is not reciprocal. I needed to do the full Massachusetts driving test to get a license as they wouldn't just give me one based on my UK licence. Also if you want to drive the gearbox of the gods you need to prove you are worthy.

EDIT: Hmm just checked and it seems you can't convert a US license at all to a UK one so yeah my fiance is going to have fun with that some point in the future :v: Canucks can do it tho so... God save the Queen?

BigPaddy fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 9, 2015

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Nah she will just have to get lessons and do it properly before I let her loose on the roads.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

88h88 posted:

She's just dumb as poo poo apparently...

-- Truth about Belgian Drivers

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

kastein posted:

mass plate

Kind of all the details we need.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I expect a diesel isignia is on the high end to insure anyway since so many are rep mobiles that the drivers don't give a poo poo about and stick them in ditches all the time hoping to end their meaningless lives.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

For reference. Before I moved the US I was paying around 700 a year for an R34 Skyline GTT running about 550bhp so upgraded turbo, boost controller, bigger intercooler and supporting mods. Currently for a VW Tiguan and my Challenger Scatpack I am paying $1100 per 6 months so $2200 per year which if we want to compare apples to apples at the exchange rate of late 2012 minus inflation etc... takes it to around 1300 pounds per year.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

55 car pile up on i95 about 10 miles north of Boston

http://www.nh1.com/news/55-cars-pile-up-on-highway-during-boston-area-commute-as-freezing-rain-wreaks-havoc/

Saw a good number of other accidents as well while I drove my stupid muscle car 30 miles to work without incident.

Note: now I have said that I will stack it on my way home later.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Looked at the pile up and 30 cars had to be towed due to being inoperable and it took about 3 hours to clear in the middle of the rush hour. Wakefield is one town over from where I live and I drove past the i93/i95 junction about 45 minutes after it happened. Also some more large crashes on i93 north near Methuen and i90 at the Allston exit. Good work Mass DoT :thumbsup:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

kastein posted:

:suicide:

it took me
FUCKIN
HOURS

Was it on the northbound side? There was a car down in a ditch with a Statey trying to pull the family up and slipping down himself that got a chuckle

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Ah that exit, yeah I use that one every day on the way home. Montvale Ave in general sucks utter balls but it is quicker to go that way to grab the dog from day care if she has gone that day. Yes my dog goes to day care, yes I am ok with this.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

a primate posted:

wat

Please tell that story

The interchanges for interstates around Boston are all terrible with almost all of them having huge queues for 3 hours each side of the rush hour during the week and i93 going through Boston always being a mess and i95 north from i93 past 128 to Gloucester also the cause of 4-5 miles tailbacks even at the weekend. I would be more shocked that someone is not getting shot there.

The 93/95 interchange for example has traffic for both directions going into a single lane so if you are going north or south go into the one lane. Now you also have the traffic from the other interstate merging into the same lane that everyone is trying to use to get onto the other one. So in one lane over about 150 yards you have everyone going north, everyone going south and everyone merging onto the road you are on all fighting to get where they need to be. Also about 1.2 mile from this interchange in all directions are other exists for busy shopping districts. It is just a total mess. Of course there was a project to make it less of a death trap but that got torpedoed by Nimbys back in 2010.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Drove from Boston to NY and back in the past two days and remembered I have cruise on the Tiguan. About 10 minutes later discovered that unless you had the radar controlled stuff it is a worthless since everyone is doing a different speed and none of them are close to the limit.

That and the guy weaving on to the shoulder from the HOV lane at 90 this morning just outside Queens really wants to get to the city.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

kastein posted:

I just almost got 30 degree corner impacted at 40mph by some daft oval office in a red ZJ who ignored 5+ seconds of red light and the 3-4 people who safely turned left (green left turn arrow, protected turn)! That would have left a mark. Sad my stupid car didn't get cashed out for 4x its purchase price, glad I didn't land in the ER because of it.

Video in the morning.

You need to move closer or something before the mean streets of Mass kill you.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I had a similar thing happen a few months back, someone hit the driver behind me who went into my car. Of course if she had braked and not panicked she wouldn't have hit me.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Since he was claiming against a 3rd parties insurance they couldn't not pay because it is modified. It is not even the amount that he asked for that is the issue. The problem is that they were racing and crashed but then claimed the driver of the rental car hit the kit car while parked. That is the fraudulent part not the price. However the money involved probably tipped them off that something was not right.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

xzzy posted:

Amber indicators have been dominant in America for decades. You really only see red turn signals on commercial vehicles.

I see it a lot on NA only cars still.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

iospace posted:

Yesterday, I saw a brodozer in heavy rain. My thoughts were "Wow, this is probably the harshest conditions that truck has ever seen!"

This one survived the test of giant man children quite well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpI8CIKRk00&t=24s

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Ludicro posted:

There's a goon in the hot hatch thread who had a brand new Golf almost written off, but ended up getting repaired. The whole thing has been a nightmare and is still going on, because it seems the repairs were done to a rather poor standard.

If an insurance company totals a car then take the money and get a new one. Yes yes all of us at some level have some emotional attachment over what a normal consumer does but it is not worth the hassle of the repairs being poo poo and you being left to foot the bill later.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Just remember that your totalled car will be bought by some youtube superstar who bodges it back together to go racing.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

GutBomb posted:

License plate frames are illegal in Massachusetts but it's simply not enforced. Dealers put them on, everyone uses them, cops don't care.

It is one of those things that they will write you up for if they really want to get you on something.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

At least they won't be doing it again.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

There are apps for smart phones that will do it, get that and a phone mount that can hold the camera part above the dash and you are sorted.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

What a tool, wasn't even going that fast.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

PCOS Bill posted:

This weekend I spent a bunch of time outside the city, so I can't remember where exactly I was, but I was east of Pittsburgh on 30W heading back home from Greensburg in my old rustbucket Cherokee. Big vehicle, can't miss it. No traffic surrounding me, a few cars ahead, a few cars behind, nothing major.

Out of the blue as I'm coming up to a red light in the right lane I hear brakes squeal and suddenly there's a blue RHD Skyline GT-R (Probably not a real GT-R, but a rebadge, but who knows) passing me on the left, skidding almost into my front end and just barely missing me in time to get in the lane in front of me, slammed his brakes and changed lanes all the way across the left lane and into the left turn lane to arrive at the red light about the same time as I did.

Immediately the little fat gently caress driving it rolls down his window and starts screaming at me about how I almost wrecked his new car.

I don't even know where he came from. Turned in from a side street? Going fast as gently caress flying up behind me? Either way, if he had actually sideswiped me with his fresh import I would still be laughing uninterrupted for the last four days. I would have had a photo of the accident made into a cake and a poster. Just my old ratty Jeep crushing the gently caress out of a GT-R in the US. Would have been worth whatever new scratches it would have gotten on the bumper.

I foresee many gtrs imported to the US not living past the first month due to people like this being the owners. Eh guess I should pick a few wrecked ones up for parts.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Think I said this on slack but this is me in 20 years but with lovely 90s Japanese coups.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Time for this I guess

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Two Mustangs, One Wreck

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I usually drive manuals when I am back in the UK. So my brain has it when I am sitting on the right I drive on the left and have a clutch. When I get back to the US and swap over it all works and I don't go for the clutch. This is going to end badly when I get something RHD in the US.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

For clarity I am more referring to having to detrain myself from driving on the left when sitting on the right and vice versa. So if i have a RHD car in the US which is likely in the future I will need to remember to still drive on the right.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

GutBomb posted:

I'm guessing a Japanese import skyline

This, because I want to replace the one I sold before moving to the US.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Or confusing Sonic Carhops.

The whole RHD in a LHD country thing is not new. Ask me about getting out to pay tolls in Europe during a storm :v:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

If only that was a MAGA hat.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

shortspecialbus posted:

It would be extra great, since the clip is from Australia

Then it would only be MAG

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Just trying to sell you some snake oil.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Had a guy killed a rest stop/motorway services about 3 miles from where I grew up

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/murder-investigation-cobham-motorway-services-shovel-attack-m25-surrey-a7814776.html

Morons everywhere

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Taking the right to drive away, can be a brutal reduction in personal mobility in some cases.

Nah, just ask all those who drive in the US after their license is revoked for minor drug offences how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Half the fun of test driving something fast is to make the salesman grab the oh poo poo handle.