Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

SyHopeful posted:

They had an unmarked Legacy GT back in the late 2000s in Clark County, too. I also heard rumors of a yellow WRX but never saw it myself.

One of the local patrol cars here is a Legacy GT. I have no idea why though as there isn't anywhere you can even get up to high speed hijinks in this tiny Japanese town. They mostly just spend their days pulling over farmers who think red lights don't apply to them, despite the fact that they drive the infamous kei trucks of certain death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Today I was just behind somebody who decided to slow down almost completely to turn onto the off ramp on the highway. Luckily I had to get off at the same place so I wasn't too inconvenienced personally but thanks for putting us both at risk of being truck jam, dude.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

For when you absolutely positively can't walk just an extra few meters to the shop door, why not just park on a sidewalk?

Tell me BMW owners, does the sense of entitlement come with the base grade or is that an optional extra? :v:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

There's been a lot of hate in the thread recently for people who don't indicate but how about some for the ticking time bombs who are the idiots who indicate but don't actually look.

On my way home today, I passed a freaky part of the road where the exit from a mall's parking lot intersects a bus stop, inevitably a lot of people end up using the bus stop for a waiting lane to pull out. As I passed it some guy who was clearly indicating but not looking just pulls out of the idiot lane in front of me. Brakes on, no big deal, it's only the second time it's happened today. Then he indicates to pull into the right (for :911: imagine it's the left) hand lane but he hasn't been looking there either and a van had already been fast approaching and our blind idiot almost pulls into the side of the drat thing. They're only inches apart when our van's frantic honking catches the idiots attention and they both brake to a stop, then so do I and I'm just glad everyone behind me did too otherwise we would have had quite the little pile-up. (literally, as most of the cars involved were kei's :v:)

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jul 12, 2014

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Wamsutta posted:

I always got a kick out of the stop sign onramps on the Parkway. They were way more fun in my old supercharged TSX than they are in my Grand Cherokee, I assure you of that.

If you drive a Kei car like I do right now it's like your Grand Cherokee on the parkway every time you pull out onto a main road. :smith:
With under 65hp and the aerodynamics of a cardboard box it accelerates the same way no matter how far I push the pedal so you've really got to wait for a nice big gap in traffic if you don't want to soil anybody's pants. :v:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Why did you recommend me this video Youtube, why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upf4X789mt4

The parts where people are unable to maneuver their cars at all in small spaces are damning enough but at least they're understandable. The ones where people suddenly lose all control of their vehicle with catastrophic results are just plain scary.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

A slightly different type of cyclist but today I saw an old man riding a bicycle the wrong way up the side of a very busy main road. Actually, the old people around here have been particularly suicidal recently. The other day there was an old guy riding his mobility scooter the wrong way up a main road, I looked him straight in the eye as I passed him but that was a man for whom the concept of caring was but a distant memory.

Really Japan, I appreciate the longevity of your older citizens and am happy to see them mobile and active well into their 80s but could you at least teach them fear or something?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

This, this motherfucker right there:

Why yes let me just puff along this narrow single-lane road when there's a perfectly fine bike path right loving there :argh:

If you think that's narrow you need to come drive in Japan! Our highways are narrower than that road.

(Also we cycle on the sidewalk :v: )

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

The old old old drivers of Japan strike again... :smith:

Last weekend I had to avoid some insanely old guy who decided to drive over to the other side of the central reservation and drive against two lanes of oncoming traffic to get into the supermarket because it was somehow easier than going another 50m down the road and doing a U-turn at the next crossing point. :psyduck: Then today an old lady very barely missed me as she struggled to turn her tiny car. It seriously looked like she was trying to straighten up a man-o'-war in gale force winds.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Aww yeah, oldies at it again, saw a geezer today slow down to get onto the highway in a heavily loaded microvan.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Middle of nowhere Japan today, some crazy lady missed her turn so she stopped and started to reverse. Which is dumb enough as it is but she did so without even looking behind her at all and if I hadn't reacted fast enough she would have plowed straight into me. Luckily no damage was done because that would have been hell trying to get the insurance to take my side.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

It's been a heck of a week here for crazy idiot drivers. On Monday I saw a guy doing a u-turn between lane separators specifically there to discourage u-turns without even indicating. Then shortly after I get into the parking lot of the mall I was going to and I'm about to get out of my car so I open my door and leave it there for a second to take my phone and I look back to see some 8-seater idiot-mobile rocketing diagonally backwards into the space just next to me. I managed to close my door in time but they very almost took the whole side off.

What I saw today though was just bizarre, there was a kei car out in town that was almost completely covered with the Japanese "watch out, this person is probably too old to drive" sticker. One of them was even extra large. Interesting how you can be self aware enough to put up such a big warning but not quite enough to give up driving.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Cached Money posted:

These are the people you share the ring with:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u48jzFrCGEA

That was a seriously high correlation between BMW drivers and ignoring warning flags.

I know the flag wasn't out for the first guy but he definitely lived up to the image when he ripped his own wheel off and littered the track with suspension nuggets while attempting to drive away with dignity.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Here's another good Nordschleife fail reel, including our new favorite corner claiming a few more bumpers for the bumper god.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVf9pE-9mHo

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Javid posted:

Brake failure?

Large trucks usually have air brakes which fail on.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Long Francesco posted:

Driving to work this morning, 7:30 am, hardly any traffic to speak of. This old guy with his wife ahead of me already going 10 under the limit gets on the onramp im heading to, the loving guy hits his brakes and crawls up the ramp at 10mph, puts his blinker on, and then completely stops at the top. after a few seconds I give him a little toot and he flips his head around all over like the sky is falling, slooowly accelerates to 30 and immediately cuts all the way across to the left lane where he cuts off a semi who has to lock up his wheels to not splatter this idiot.

There's a road near me that gets this crap way too much. Regular highways in Japan start with a ticket/toll booth, but there are some public highways without fines and therefore no booths so you occasionally get people who never use highways suddenly finding themselves on one of these roads and not knowing what to do so they just stop on the on ramp waiting for a chance to pull out.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

BOOTY-ADE posted:

For me it was more the smell & sound than feeling or seeing anything, I'll never get the smell of drilled teeth out of my mind

For me it's the good old root canal file and that one dentist who didn't give me anesthetic because he thought he'd already removed enough of the nerve the previous visit and just kept on filing. He was wrong. It wasn't as painful as it was entirely nightmarish.

Also had all my wisdoms pulled on local anesthetic and terrifying as it was(oh, the sounds) I didn't feel a thing.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 9, 2019

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Here in Japan, it's zero tolerance on drink driving. The actual law on paper is a little complicated and technically leaves room for discretion, but in practice, and culturally, it's treated as zero tolerance. The punishments are also severe, even the lowest level drink driving offense will put enough points on your license to get you a 90 day suspension, if you don't get your license taken away outright. Japan also employs a previous offence system on license points that pushes down the boundaries for suspension, so a second offense will almost definitely result in a revocation, and also being banned from taking the driving test for a period of several years.

The punishments don't stop with the legal system though, there's also a very real element of public shaming. Drink driving arrests are usually reported on the local news with full names and ages, and you can reasonably expect to be fired from your job. If you're a public servant, you will be expected to make a full public apology before being fired.

On the other side of this though, Japan does have a fairly good support structure for the drinking population. Surprisingly though, despite Japan's reputation for widespread public transport, it has very little to do with it as most trains and buses stop around midnight. One of the most famous options for the drunk who can't legally get home is the capsule hotel. While in recent years they've moved slightly upmarket in order to take advantage of widespread hotel shortages, they were originally envisioned as a hole in the wall for a drunk man to sleep in until the trains started or he sobered up enough to drive home. They're only really in big cities though, so not much use for the rural drunk. In the rural areas your 2 main commercial options are taxis or 'daiko' chauffeur services. Taxis are a good option (and there's no uber/lyft*) if you don't mind leaving your car as Japan has no shortage of them, and most services will supply cars 24/7. If you absolutely need to get your car home though, you can hire a 'daiko' chauffeur, where a man will drive you in your car to your house with another man following behind in a kei car to take the first man back. They're more expensive than taxis but you do obviously get your car back to your house in case you need it in the morning or whatever.

*While not technically illegal, under Japanese law, in order to drive passengers in exchange for money you need a Class 2 drivers license and have to register your car as a service vehicle, so by that point you may as well just become a taxi driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

MrOnBicycle posted:

I'm finding it increasingly hard to find a reason to ever visit the US.

I may have to go to New York for work later this year and on the one hand I've never been to America before and it could be fun, but on the other hand I think I'm far too soft for America. :ohdear: