Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008
If they hit it hard enough to be seriously injured they were almost certainly going way too fast for conditions. We ended up fortifying our mailbox after the umpteenth time the neighbor's rear end in a top hat contractors/friends backed into it and drove off. It's now been several years and, strangely, nobody has hit it despite most of the same fuckwits still driving around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

Bikes on the other hand you better be ready to provide video evidence

Hopefully nobody has video evidence of the one time I failed to back in to a downhill facing parking spot. In my defense it was the first week with my first bike. Haven't made that mistake again.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

The Door Frame posted:

The second guy is in a heavily modded diesel Chevy next to me at a stoplight and for an late 80's-early 90's truck it looked and sounded amazing. At least it did, until it he floored it off the light, spewed black smoke, with his extra loud blowoff valve, only to be stuck next to me at the next light.

Are fake blow off valves on diesels a thing now? I didn't think even smoke tuned stack owning bro truck owners were that gullible.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

Flint Ironstag posted:

Only $200? Talk about adding insult to (near) injury. Luckily nobody but an innocent windshield was hurt.

Unless someone dies nobody really cares, I've had all sorts of crap fall out of trucks like that in front of me, to the point that I make a real effort to stay as far away as possible. Best was the extension ladder that came off a state department of transportation truck while I was on my bike. Police told me they didn't care, and calling the department in question got me a polite "gently caress off", despite having the truck number and license plate.

V I'd thought it was a steel plate, but look's like it was actually a piece of furniture of some kind. It's still not enforced all that well, I see sketchy stuff regularly but speeding tickets seem to be a much higher priority for some reason unless there's been a recent news piece about it.

drzrma fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 1, 2014

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

I agree with this but my only request would be that you can toggle them off if required, but they would reset to automatic on after you turn the car off. I can think of a few places where you might want them turned off--for instance the ferry system here in WA requests headlights off when loading to help the workers.

They request but nobody pays any attention, the signs requesting parking lights only have been there for 25+ years and nearly nobody does it. That was part of why I disabled the DRLs on my Golf, the other reason being that motorcycles disappear into the sea of DRLs even during the day. Still irritates me that DRLs became mandatory basically based on flawed studies, a single vehicle does stand out more with headlights on all the time but that doesn't hold up when everyone does it. Not that anyone pays any attention anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

RillAkBea posted:

A slightly different type of cyclist but today I saw an old man riding a bicycle the wrong way up the side of a very busy main road. Actually, the old people around here have been particularly suicidal recently. The other day there was an old guy riding his mobility scooter the wrong way up a main road, I looked him straight in the eye as I passed him but that was a man for whom the concept of caring was but a distant memory.

Really Japan, I appreciate the longevity of your older citizens and am happy to see them mobile and active well into their 80s but could you at least teach them fear or something?

What is with people riding their bicycles on the wrong side of the road? Seems to have become more common in the last five or eight years, either that or I'm just noticing it more. Usually just a nuisance, but I once pulled out in front a bicyclist riding the wrong way down the wrong side of the road in the dark with a red light on the front of his bike. Fortunately he managed to stop in time, but it never occurred to me that a red light on the right side of the road in Bellingham would be a suicidal cyclist.