Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«40 »
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

some texas redneck posted:

The G1W, from this particular seller. Took about a week and a half to get from China to Texas.

How does it look mounted? That suction cup rig seems to be enormous.

Though I suppose that's only because the device itself is so tiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

This is how Russia finally beats America, by spreading their addiction of dashcams to us capitalist pigs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

That's the story I usually hear. Apparently fraud is super common, people jumping in front of cars and telling the police you hit them. Dashcams become important evidence at that point.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

If I miss a turn, I just live with the mistake and either re-route or wait for a spot to exit traffic so I can turn around. Other people on the road will never have any idea how much annoyance I've saved them by resisting the urge to dive across three lanes of traffic to make a turn lane.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

FogHelmut posted:

The express lanes change direction mid day? That's weird.

Yes, Seattle is a bit of a geographical oddity as far as cities go. In its early days it was contained by ocean on one side, and steep cliffs on the other. In the years since Seattle was founded they've tamed the hills (somewhat), but it still resulted in a metropolis that's much longer in the north-south direction than it is wide.

There's basically just one north-south artery that everyone uses to get to work, and during rush hour one half the highway will be a parking lot, the other half is relatively unused. So to alleviate this a bit they added several lanes in the middle and depending on the time of day they might be allowing traffic to drive south, at other times, north.

They have like a quarter mile of barriers before you can access the express lanes, accessing them from the wrong direction without knowing you hosed up takes a special kind of stupid.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

Yeah I suppose my Seattle data is about 15 years out of date. I only visit there once a year or so anymore.

Let's just go with "my post is what the design intention was, not what reality produced."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

Dashcams are cool, but I'd probably end up getting sued for putting videos of people doing dumb poo poo on youtube and not blanking their license plate.

Really that's all I can see coming out of it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

Geoj posted:

Some states have laws making recording a police officer in any capacity illegal, usually qualifying it as "interfering with police business."

Recording of cops while on duty is being challenged pretty much everywhere. Every case I've seen that's gone to court (I can only specifically remember one in NY and one in CA but I know there's others) has ended up defending a citizen's right to record the police.

Granted this doesn't mean cops won't hassle you for pointing a cellphone at them. There's been several stories out of NYC where people were arrested for taping the police, even though their very own chief of police has stated it's ok.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

I pass snow plows all the time. But I might be partially insane, having grown up within a couple hundred miles of the arctic circle.

Down here in the south plows habitually putter around at 30 mph with their blades down, ineffectively trying to direct a half inch of slush over the curb. They produce nothing but a nonstop shower of sparks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

KozmoNaut posted:

Intersection not clear? Don't loving enter it, no matter which color the light is. I've had people honk, flash their lights and flip me off because I remained stopped at a green light because the road was packed up on the other side all the way back into the intersection.

On an old commute I used to run there was this small town main street section where people would cross a double yellow to pass me as I was waiting at the stop line for an intersection to clear. If they weren't quite brave enough to do that, any time they saw I had more than 6 inches of air in front of my bumper they'd go loving bonkers with their horn.

I was just trying to avoid blocking cross traffic because I knew the light was about to change you jerks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

No, but it's normal for cities to do a terrible job maintaining road markings. They don't paint often enough and use poo poo paint so it wears off in about a year.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

Dear rear end in a top hat in a suburban with tires so big the top of your steering wheel is easily six feet off the ground: I applied my brakes because the car in front of me applied their brakes, because the guy in front of him was slowing down for a turn. My roof tops out at maybe five feet so I know drat well you could see the brake lights in front of me, if not two cars in front because I could see all of this just loving fine.

So please do not flash your high beams several times in succession telling me to go faster. This does not aid me in violating law of physics to phase through traffic that violates your opinion of how everyone on the road should stay out of your dumb rear end.

I hope my brake check spilled your coffee.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

Das Volk posted:

Anyone else do this to "wake up" someone going 10 under in the left lane?

Yep.. well I've tried. For much of the mid-west it's not gonna buy me anything. People who have chosen to cruise in the left lane don't give a poo poo what's happening in their mirrors.

Proper left lane usage doesn't really seem to become the norm until I get west of the Mississippi.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

InitialDave posted:

It comes down to whether you believe that the idea should be to hammer people who break the law, or to discourage people from breaking the law in the first place.

You forgot option C: make money off it.

Not that the police see any of that income, but that doesn't stop companies from pushing enormous contracts for speed cameras.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

There's a suburb near me where I drive right at the speed limit without deviation. Not because of the police, because the town is full of privileged yuppies that blaze down 30 mph neighborhood roads at 50 in whatever luxury suv is popular this year. The type of head up their rear end bastards that refuse to acknowledge your existence if you catch a door for them or whatever.

At any rate, I drive exactly on the speed limit just to piss them off. Lots of enjoyable tailgating or drifting over the yellow lines to see if there's an opportunity to pass.

It works well based on the amount of throttle they apply when a passing lane finally opens up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

My beef with snow is the idiots that can't take 30 seconds to clear their windows. I saw at least a dozen cars last night (in a 15 minute commute) with the rear window completely covered, couldn't even be bothered to hit the button for the rear defroster. I get super paranoid if I can't see out my windows, if I don't know where every single car around me is I get really uneasy. I don't know how people would consent to entering traffic with snow on the windows unless they literally don't use their mirrors.

Though I did see one dude in a Lexus regret his decision, had dealer plates on. Flipped on his blinker to change lanes and had a panic attack when he realized he couldn't see poo poo. Dropped 20 mph and did one of those "three stage lane changes" where he cruised on top of the dashed line to see if anyone started leaning on their horn.

Also saw a two wheel drive S10 backwards in a ditch. Put some sand in the bed you dolt.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

When I lived in Alaska, it was pretty common to see people trying to drive around with a foot of snow on their hood. It seems fine when you pull out of the driveway, but once you get above 40 mph all that powder starts to dislodge. Some of it melts when it hits the windshield, causing more snow to stick to the water, making it loving impossible to see. Then they try to use the wipers but the wipers don't work because they've been buried by snow. The upside is they were easy to identify and avoid because there'd be an enormous snow cloud tailing them.

People here in Illinois try the same thing, but we don't get nearly enough snow for it to be that big a problem. Usually the wipers can plow right through whatever builds up. It still hurts visibility (and running the wipers over the top of the ice can't be good for their longevity) but they aren't literally driving blind.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

InitialDave posted:

I particularly like it when I've advised people not to go up/down a given hill, and their response is a combination of a "you're not the boss of me" attitude and "yeah, well, you made it ok, didn't you?". Yes, I did. With four wheel drive, winter tyres, and a pretty good idea of what I'm doing. You, however, are a typical "more throttle is better" dickcheese in a sports-tyre-shod 3-series. Go find out the hard way, I'm off to do donuts in the Asda car park.

Hey, sports-tyre-shod-3-series were solid income for me in high school, back when $20 was an enormous windfall. First big snow, toss some tow cables, a bag of cat litter, and a snow shovel in the back of the truck and go cruising the city looking for people stuck in a ditch to drag them out.

So I fully support people driving sports cars on ice, as long as they aren't behind me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

Clean cars are a little more significant in areas that get a lot of rain or snow. Random pieces of paper, handful of napkins from a restaurant, various food wrappers.. pretty much anything that qualifies as "garbage" tends to turn into gooey pulp really fast once you start tracking water in, and it's disgusting to have to clean it up. It's twice as bad if there's any food mixed in with it.

Maybe it's just confirmation bias but I saw a lot more dirty cars when I lived in California than, say, Seattle.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

I think Seattle is just about the worst city for winter driving in north america.. it's rarely just snow. It's usually bookended by rain or sleet which means once it gets dark and the temperature drops, everything turns into solid ice. To cap it off, the whole area is either a hill or a cliff.

The only upside is that snow like that is pretty rare. But when it does show up the entire city is paralyzed.

The other sneaky problem is that because the snow is so wet, heavy accumulation has a habit of caving in the roofs of houses.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

InitialDave posted:

If he does what he says and gets it off the windows and lights, as well as the majority of the roof/bonnet stuff, I'm not really seeing why it would be an issue.

It's not, but the main discussion was talking about the tank commanders who leave several inches of untouched powder all over the car so I'm not sure why he even bothered to ask.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

I've never seen a truck with anywhere near that much snow on it.

Usually they don't accumulate anything because they're always moving. Parking on a slant in the sun or using a truck wash seems like it would take care of situations where snow does build up.

Failing that, a ladder and a snow rake should be sufficient right?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's one of those things I think where if more people lived here, someone would have developed a piece of standard equipment to fix it by now.

Curious, I googled it.

http://www.scrapersystems.com/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

Austin is one of the oddest places I've ever driven, they have some really weird ideas they've built out that would have caught me unaware if I hadn't been paying close attention to signs.

The weird rear end underpasses on I-35 (which is where the first clip in that video is) that let you do a u-turn without crossing any traffic makes sense in some ways but holy crap did I see a lot of people loving them up.. even folks with Texas plates who I assume live there and are used to them had an enormous habit of swerving across fast moving traffic.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

Motronic posted:

How is this any different than someone driving around with the radio turned way up or a deaf person driving?

A driver may still be able to hear the horn or sirens over their radio, but headphones are designed to block exterior noise.

I'd expect a deaf person to be aware of their limitations and be more careful about watching their mirrors to compensate.

e:f;b

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

It baffles me how rarely I see cyclists act smart when I'm in a car.. you'd think if one were mingling with thousands of pounds of metal moving over 30 mph they'd develop a heightened sense of self preservation. But nope, adhering to the rules of the road lowers their average heart rate and therefore can be completely ignored. I bike to work a couple times a week during the summer, and it doesn't seem all that hard to responsibly share the road. There is no way in hell I am the only cyclist in existence who acts smart, so why don't I ever encounter them when I'm in a car?

Stop at stop signs, don't cut past cars waiting to turn, signal your own turns, and to fit in with this conversation, don't use headphones. That's the basics, right? I can go entire months without seeing a single biker successfully check off those boxes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

LloydDobler posted:

The one that's getting me lately is the split drive through lines. Has that been covered in here yet? I can't tell if it's the fault of the restaurants for doing this or if it's people being assholes and not caring about common courtesy.

I'd argue it's because queuing theory is never once mentioned in public education. People see a shorter line, and figure it will be faster, and make a run for it. They're not dumb, just ignorant. I guess the problem is that it's infuriating to those of us who aren't ignorant.

Solution? Don't eat at McDonald's.

CharlesM posted:

It isn't just cyclists with headphones / cell phones, pedestrians will walk in front of trains / cars if they're not paying attention.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...s-rise/2824515/

I know it happened at least a couple times while I was in Prague too.

Last year I saw a teenage girl literally stop in the middle of a road so she could concentrate on her texting. It was a quiet 25 mph neighborhood, I was the only car on the road so the only real risk in that case was whether or not I was paying attention. At any rate I saw her in the distance on the sidewalk, about to cross. If she had just walked it would have been no issue, she would have been on the other side of the street before I got close.

But nope, soon as she got to the middle of the street she just stopped and stood there, tapping away on her phone. I leaned on my horn as I went by and she never acknowledged my presence.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

West SAAB Story posted:

Everyone is a special snowflake that doesn't have to wait in line for their lunch now?

The truth is: People are rude and selfish. When someone decides they're going to be 'oh so smart' and try to not get caught in the slow-down lane because they need to get off, but think its smarter to ride the shoulder than wait their turn, I'll usually edge out just enough to keep that from happening. Wait your loving turn.

Maybe to you, but I don't attribute to malice what can be explained as stupidity. If it was a single line with a single drive thru menu, there would be no problem as every single one of us is taught how a line works in preschool. To most people, two drive thru menus means there's room for two single file lines. The concept of a queue where you wait before the fork and take the first available branch? That's some high level poo poo and the average moron will never realize there's a distinction.

Stores where they force people into channels where they can't cut line have much better performing branching queues because people don't have to pay attention what's going on.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

Is it true that some places in Europe (UK maybe? I'm going off a fuzzy memory here) that failure to properly allow a zipper on a merge will get you ticketed?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

Michael Scott posted:

Funny thing is I bet Texas doesn't have GPS on their cars because of 'big scary government,' but I've lived in large metro areas my whole life and most of those cars are equipped with GPS that no doubt have a speedo function. The signal is routed back to police headquarters. I bet that keeps cops from speeding too much, otherwise they would do it all of the time.

Actually there was a story in the news earlier this week about the Boston police having GPS' installed in their cars in the near future. Lots of funny quotes about policemen worrying about their privacy.

I would have thought GPS had become standard equipment ten years ago but apparently not! Makes me wonder how many police departments have implemented it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

8ender posted:

This is the most ridiculous thing to do to gain like 500 metres of headway on gridlock traffic.

Especially if getting off a highway then back on is seriously saving anyone any time. In that case, avoiding the highway entirely is probably a better choice even after factoring all the extra stoplights.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

gently caress parking at schools stuffed to the brim with young drivers.

Of course the nimrod that did it left no note or stuck around.

So I guess I don't actually know if it was a kid that did it, but the probability is pretty high.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

Michael Scott posted:

Are you going to leave it, pay for it, or submit it to insurance? You gonna file a police report?

It's the wife's car, and all I really have for information is the picture and the fact she's mad about it.

We'll talk about it tonight, depending on whether she has any luck with school security finding the person that did it. The car has significant paint peeling on the front bumper because of Toyota being lovely so it's not a great looking car by any measure. If we decide to not make a claim I might just find a way to punch the dimple back out so at least the lines of the car are intact.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

I like how everyone completely forgets how to park cars as soon as there's a faint dusting of snow concealing the lines.

"gently caress me, no lines? That makes it impossible to properly keep a reasonable gap between me and the other car! "

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

Same reason they put "don't use your cellphone" and "do not enter your vehicle while fueling" stickers all over gas pumps. Someone was worried that these actions could generate sparks and turn the gas station into a bomb.

These are all things that probably happened once and will never happen again, but the rules will live on.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

Drunken Lullabies posted:

It was all fun and games until someone threw an ice scraper through my passenger window on the freeway.

Brother of one of my high school friends had a microwave oven thrown at him.

I like to pretend the angry fellow who threw it normally kept a microwave in the passenger seat just in case a situation presented itself where it would be useful to scare the poo poo out of a 20 year old kid.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The Tim Hortons outside my old office was so popular that it backed up people through their entire parking lot out onto the street and then almost onto the highway before the police started an active campaign to break it up by ticketing people blocking the driveways and intersections.

This is basically every single Portillo's restaurant in the Chicago area. They actually have just about the most efficient drive-thru system I've ever seen (to the point that McDonald's started emulating them about 6 years ago) but the place is so goddamn popular around mealtimes that they can't keep up and the mess frequently spills into the street.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

MrYenko posted:

At least around here, all school zones do is lulls kids into complete obliviousness to traffic, and allowing them to do blatantly dangerous poo poo around moving vehicles.

I'm constantly annoyed by having to slow to a crawl in a school zone, surrounded by kids old enough to know better, stepping directly out into traffic without even looking around.

Or there's the other extreme, two crossing guards plus a pair of police cars monitoring a half mile stretch of 35 mph road with two 20 mph zones. In the ~10 years I've been using this chunk of road to get to work I have never once seen a child actually crossing it. But every single day they got the school zone flashers going and cops waiting in the wings to write tickets.

The worst part is that there are two cross streets right through the middle of the 20 mph areas, but these cross streets have no indication of the reduced speed limit. At least half the cars I've seen get pulled over in the area get nailed after turning on to the main street.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Not that I'm excusing this behavior, these people need to slow down if they can't handle the road conditions, but it looks like there's one spot which unsettles all of the cars in this video that do stick to their lane. I think some of the people who are intruding into the wrong lane are doing so to avoid that spot. Obviously plenty of people who aren't terrible make it through here without a problem and without straying from their lane, so clearly these guys just need to slow down and stay within their limits.

It's just a tough corner.. it starts tight, and as you near to the exit, it gets even tighter. That's probably why there's so many people spectating there, lots of stupidity on display.

https://www.google.com/maps/preview...2!2m1!1e3&fid=7

Helmet view of the corner here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44MUa4SuxoE#t=193s

(starting at a specific spot isn't working for some reason, jump to 3:10)

xzzy fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

All I know is if I ever find a twisty chunk of road that's really fun to drive, I will never tell anyone about it.

Popularity does terrible things to those spots.

«40 »