Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oops and here I thought we were talking about the Chicago Skyway.

Which is also a bridge (and an elevated highway) and a bad place to break down, just not quite as impressive a bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like the idea of everyone talking about their own personal skyway and nodding in agreement about how it's a bad place to get stuck.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We all want to be a part of a tribe, but some of us pick really stupid tribes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The slip off the roof is amazing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I encountered a twit like that a couple weeks ago in a similar situation, plenty of room for both of us to drive through but they did a I GOT RIGHT OF WAY power move and drifted towards the center of the road and hammered their high beams several times. gently caress off with that poo poo, we're all stuck living in this poo poo reality so spare me the drama.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

1 sticker = run of the mill idiot, but wants everyone to know it

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No but I've noticed all Jeep owners are super aggressive.

Confirmation bias is fun!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

redgubbinz posted:

How did she reverse tank-commander herself? With a brush in the car. How do these people manage to dress themselves in the morning?

e: oooooh, didn't clear the roof and there was a small avalanche at the first stop.

It happens after the heaters have been running and it melts the bottom of the snow, allowing it to slide right off the first time you tap the brakes.

I caught a very rare double avalanche several years ago:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There are loopholes with it too, like the law may say you can't enter an intersection unless you can get through without stopping, but another law might say that once you're in that intersection you have right of way if the light is yellow or red. Even if there was money or willpower to enforce it, how could you?

Regardless, society has voted for their own "law" and it's acceptable to pile into the intersection as deep as you can get to try and make that left turn.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm all the replies of drivers bitching with pics of unsecured loads.

loving something has to be done to hold carriers more accountable.

Get car manufacturers to make dash cams standard equipment. When we hit a critical mass where pretty much anyone can forward a video of poo poo flying off a truck to the police it gets a lot easier to penalize that poo poo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

The amount of legal wrangling that would go into this would be unreal. Who owns the data? The OEM, the driver?

Obviously the correct answer is it's password encrypted by the driver and only they can access it, but I think we're all sufficiently cynical to appreciate that this will never happen, the videos will get uploaded to the cloud and the police will have free reign to do whatever the gently caress they want with it all.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

So then what is your stance?

That dashcams should be standard! But I understand it involves solving massive issues.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The staff to run weigh stations is almost non existent, in any given state a few of them probably are open somewhere but you're unlikely to encounter one on a single pass through. It's more efficient to have patrols eyeball potentially overweight loads and deal with it as needed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well once you realize the problem is "people are speeding down this road and blowing stop signs" the solution makes a lot more sense and is actually pretty good at fixing it (as long as alcohol is not involved that is).

It's off center because of the angled parking spaces along 4th street.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you bring pooch along in the car, look at the options from Sleepypod. They're pretty much the only brand to pass any kind of actual crash testing (though I haven't checked on this in like 9 months, this may have changed).

I've wanted to try their harness on my cat (who loving loves going on adventures but hates being in a carrier) but haven't been able to confirm it's safe for cats. But if I had a doggy? No questions.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

At O'Hare you will have at least three meter maids converging on your position the instant your tires stop rolling. If your vehicle is stopped for more than 0.5 seconds and you aren't visibly loading/unloading luggage the limit of their generosity is to yell at you for about five seconds before the tickets start getting printed.

Ain't no one parking there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because every cab company in history has run well maintained and totally safe vehicles.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Phanatic posted:

What the hell is that grey streak?

Someone did a poor job squeegee-ing at the gas station!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I will grant her that stopping in the crosswalk is an idiot move, but lol at actually getting outwardly mad about it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You don't gently caress with geese this time of year. I give em a big berth until the babies are flying.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Deeters posted:

Even if autopilot didn't know what to do with the flipped over truck, surely it would have identified the guy standing in the road 100 feet before it, right?

I like how all four corners erupt in smoke just as the car passes the person. Something hit the panic button, but was it a computer or a meatbag? :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Adaptive cruise control makes it pretty chill. Unless you get really hot and bothered by not being able to maintain +10 over the limit.

If going E/W in the northern part of the country always take I-90 over I-94 between Billings and Tomah. I-94 is like 40 miles shorter so a huge majority of the trucks take it, making I-90 quite a bit quieter. It's not vacant, but there's less elephant races.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Subaru cruise control is somewhat clever in that it will disable gap control once you turn on your blinker, making it even easier to pass. It'll happily accelerate back to your desired speed allowing you pass smoothly. Though I usually lean into the accelerator a bit to avoid spending too long in the passing lane.

I assume other badges have a similar behavior but having never used them, am not an expert.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cruise control is not auto pilot, if you want to tailgate someone to SEND A MESSAGE then do it yourself.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Usually when I see that happen it's someone that was trying to get through on a yellow light but it turned red before the intersection was clear, so they got cold feet (or maybe worried about a red light camera) and deciding camping out there was a better choice. And are too stubborn to reverse back to where they should be.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's 100% not like that everywhere. Where I learned to drive (Alaska) stopping in an intersection (and the crosswalk) is forbidden at all times. So if you want to turn left, you have to stay behind the stop line until you can drive all the way through without stopping.

Illinois is more like being discussed in this thread, I forget the exact wording in the code but it says that creeping into the intersection while waiting is the correct behavior. I think it's stupid because it means four cars are gonna pile into the intersection and try to cram their way through, denying cross traffic time on their protected green, but it is what the law says so I go with the flow. :shrug:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Why does that sign have one side with more clearance than the other? He would have cleared it easy if he'd been in the other lane.

Doesn't even look like a "sign." It's just some art project slapped up to make the roads more beautiful.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Do semis not have locks?

I don't know of any lock that protects against a smashed window (which I believe was the justification for not stopping). :v:

But swerving down the highway trying to shake someone off your hood seems like a really bad decision to me too. But I wasn't there and don't know how things got into that state, so maybe it did make sense.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well it's not like the stance bros with NO FAT CHICKS stickers are any better.

Idiots are everywhere, it's a disease with no cure.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yet again this reminds me that I have been really dumb to not get a dashcam running.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Get rid of headlight control completely, they're just always on. Put a light sensor to put them in DRL mode if you really must. Then on the dash have a button you can press to temporarily disable them that resets when the vehicle is put in drive or the ignition is turned.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Try looking at traffic as more of a collaborative process, rather than just an endless parade of people getting in your way.

can we get this emblazoned on the us capitol plz. with strobes and fireworks

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How about a civil service where kids on their learner's permit have to provide X number of hours taking elderly people out on errands before they can get their driver's license. Then we cut up your license forever when you turn 70.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When I'm making a left if someone has their front end hanging way past the stop line I'll intentionally put my mirror as close to their bumper as I can.

Usually nothing happens but 1 out of every 1000 times I see their reverse lights activate as I drive off and I feel super smug.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Autopilot is fine, giving it to people who's certification for operating a vehicle is granted by filling out a scantron form and taking a bored stranger for a drive around the block is not fine.

Airplanes aren't constantly slamming in to mountains on autopilot because the people using those tools are trained and heavily regulated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It wasn't brought up to draw a direct comparison between airplane autopilot and car autopilot. The point was supposed to be that tools aren't stupid, just the tools using them.