Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

There's always this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGZHspaLWoo

Not sure how much it costs, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

These are the cops border patrol agents you share a road with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldLDrBOjzEg

Article here: http://dealspin.com/car-accident-live-timetec-roadhawk-dashcam-unreal-video/

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cage posted:

Border Patrol lying about the accident on police report, nice.

And absolutely everyone was completely surprised.

wait

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Orlando Speed World is pretty chill. It's got a short runoff so the real fast cars don't run there as much, and definitely no Top Fuel; 9-8s cars are about the fastest you see generally. 15 bucks to run all night, I need to go again one of these days (once I get a more suitable car, the Protege is FWD, low-powered and really doesn't like clutch drops/hard launches).

They also have a figure-8 track where they used to do bus races; I think it's just a drift loop now.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

When parked in the closest spot at the store, I've had people wait so close behind me I had to honk at them to back up so I could actually leave the space... when literally the next spot is empty. :doh:

I make sure and rev my motor real high a few times, then back out as sloooowly as possible, making sure to stop and check for pedestrians several times along the way.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kastein posted:

Apparently one person was thrown from a vehicle. I'm betting that's the dead person... wear your goddamn seatbelts.

Uhhh they were thrown free of the steel deathtrap they obviously survived uninjured.

(I got into an argument about this with an old-timer/biker dude last week so this is still fresh in my mind)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I spent the weekend driving my sister and all her stuff from Ann Arbor, MI back to Orlando. Took I-75 the whole way, and drivers were mostly courteous until we started approaching the Tennessee-Georgia border. Went from good highway manners (left lane mostly clear, and the few slower drivers would move over long before we caught up to them) to rolling roadblocks, people doing 10 under in the left lane, people running up behind us doing 95 on long downhill sections, etc.

Just past Atlanta, one particular driver apparently had a mutual death wish. I'm in the right lane with a ~15-car gap ahead of me, 3 cars to my left. A jackass in a work truck is merging from a very long onramp. He slows down as the car ahead of me passes, then slooowly starts merging into my lane, hitting his brakes repeatedly, and he eventually comes to a full stop in my lane with nowhere for me to go. I ended up having to slam on my brakes (with a semi now uncomfortably close behind me) and wait until the cars to my left pulled ahead enough that I could swerve around him (there was a barricade to the right so that wasn't an option). The semi barely missed the guy, too, although he was able to get over sooner.

It triggered a screaming match between me and my sister that she still isn't talking to me because of. :(

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tangential, but local Fox affiliates seem to be pretty sane for the most part, it's the cable Fox News channel that has all the crazy.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Venusian Weasel posted:

I'll bet he's hypermiling.

When I was young and stupid(er) I used to follow waaaaay too close behind semis, like less than a car length, for the drafting you see.

I'm lucky to be alive today.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I've done that and had people back off, then haul up closer than they were before, like "HOW DARE YOU FLASH YOUR LIGHTS AT ME?"

You just can't loving win, it seems.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

gileadexile posted:

The best is when they think you can easily see over them, when that's not the case, especially with newer crossovers being as tall or sometimes taller than my stock(ish) Jeep.

This is great when I'm trying to turn right out of my neightborhood, and the loving SUV in the left turn lane pulls past the stop line and far enough forward that I can't possibly see oncoming traffic without pulling into the flow. Which is great when there's a line of six cars waiting behind me.

The best part? The light is synchronized to the next intersection (it's a T-intersection less than 1/8 mile from a 4-way, so the 4-way has higher priority), so inching forward on the sensor doesn't make the light trip any faster, all it does is block that sight line. :argh:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Collateral Damage posted:

Driving a realistic truck simulator for an hour or two should be part of the driver's education so people understand why forcing big trucks to slow down is so aggravating for their drivers.

Slow down 20 mph, downshift 6 gears. "Ughhh, here we go again..."

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah, in my Blazer last year the one bad rainstorm I drove through without A/C (which spurred me to fix it), I pulled over as soon as it started fogging up. I was on my way to work, so I ended up grabbing some spare napkins and wiping the windshield and windows down best I could, drive a bit, repeat. Boss tried to get pissed when I came in, but gently caress those guys, I'm not killing people to get to my minimum wage lube job fifteen minutes sooner.

This attitude may be related to my first accident soon after I started driving. It was winter, windshield fogged up before the defrost kicked in, I could kinda see through so I kept driving, but turned a corner into sunlight which blinded me and I ended up plowing the corner of the car into a guy's trailer. He didn't really give a gently caress, he had a welder so had his trailer light back on an hour later, but the car got hosed up pretty good; about $1,400 of suspension damage (tie rod snapped on that side, and the control arm was bent, which is a pain in the rear end on a Taurus, plus the alignment after). The shop was less than a mile away up small side streets, so I drove the car there with a broken tie rod. :gonk: Ahh, youth, how the gently caress did you not kill me?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

^ Zipper merge arguments are typically about whether the merge maneuver in question is the best one for traffic flow, but generally it is always a legal one. Kastein's example is not that at all.

I've said it before but one of the few things that will get me to make eye contact and give someone a death glare is when I'm coming up to a right turn (at, say, a t-intersection), and there's someone in the left-turn lane who has inched so far forward that I can't pull forward enough to see my oncoming traffic without pulling into the traffic flow.

Even worse when it's like happened today. Car next to me was inches from the lane I'm trying to turn into. There's traffic jam-packed for a mile in the opposite direction, so she had no hope of getting out regardless. Of course, it turned out there was nearly a mile gap with only one or two cars in the direction I was turning into, but I still couldn't pull out because I could see nothing of these cars before they were dangerously close, neither roof nor tires on the ground; ergo, I was stuck waiting like an idiot to turn right even though the road was drat near empty, because with my luck I'd pull out blind and be directly in front of a goddamn box truck or something.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

At Sears I once pulled in a customer car that had not only stick-on bubble mirrors, but the owner had replaced the rearview with an extra-wide, extra-tall unit with a slight fisheye curve. I'm talking 5-6" tall by 24" wide.

With the rear pillars, roof and backseats in the way, it didn't give any field of view at all over a standard mirror, and made what you could see through the rear windshield even smaller.

It wasn't some wierd car that came that way, it was like a Camry or similar.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Today a lady got to a 4-way and started frantically waving me through while I was still a good 5-seconds away. :psyduck:

I was turning right, she was straight across turning left. She could have easily turned and been far enough ahead I would never have had to slow down for her.

People are weird.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well, the intention is to panic them into hitting their brakes as you let off and get back on the gas, opening up a gap between you.

In practice, yeah, it's a bad idea and I don't do it anymore. At most, I'll just brush the brake pedal with my left foot, enough to turn the light on but not actually slow the car down.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah, call me callous, but when a car's got that kind of energy on a surface street, I can only breathe a sigh of relief that no innocent bystanders were taken out.

There are places for driving fast, and they typically don't have hard obstacles for you to hit.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

xzzy posted:

To be fair, the difference in arrival times is probably like.. 30 seconds.

The average speed in a city is about 30mph no matter how heavy your foot is, speeding at 10 or more over the limit really just means more brake wear when you have to slam them for a red light.

Not that I'm a fan of people sandbagging either, go at least the speed limit or get off the road. :colbert:

Thing is that lights are timed for the speed limit, so that 30 seconds can make the difference between cruising steadily down a major artery and getting caught at every other light.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

thelightguy posted:

Say you're worried they're a drunk driver, there will be two cars behind that guy within a matter of minutes.

Yeah, they don't screw around when impaired drivers are actively being a safety hazard there's potential revenue and quota-filling to be had.

im not jaded

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Sagebrush posted:

lovely driving begets lovely driving, I suppose.

This. The best driver in the world starts driving a lot more recklessly once someone else's bad driving finally manages to get under their skin.

I've been driving for a good 8 years now and I've gotten a lot better about it, but I still catch myself having to consciously back off of people who merged into way too small a gap in front of me or whatever, as opposed to getting closer to "show 'em who's boss" (a very bad habit I just realized I picked up from my dad; works better with a 3/4 ton pickup than a sport compact).

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

My question is, are there really that many situations where you need parking lights on but headlights off that we still need both settings?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Pham Nuwen posted:

And I loving hate the guys who have a nice wide, clean, marked bike lane but insist on riding right on the line between bike and car lanes... what are you trying to prove?

If I ever see this I'm sliding my car in behind them into the bike lane. "Share the road" goes both ways, ya prick. :smug::smug:

DRLchat: I've seen a couple cars (I think Cadillacs but i could be remembering wrong) that actually have a separate, dedicated bulb for DRLs, mounted in the reflector housing forward of the focal point where the main bulb sits. Bounces off the reflector in all directions so you can see the light, without focusing it into a bright beam (it's a lower-power bulb so it's not blinding at night either).

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

D C posted:

gently caress people that stay in the right lane on a red light when the left lane is empty, therefor blocking everyone who wants to turn right on the red.

There's an intersection near here that was recently redone to give it a dedicated right turn lane for this exact reason. Most traffic was turning right (leads to a mall + associated shopping centers), but occasionally one straight-goer would block everyone from turning, which was so much traffic it backed up the entire southbound side of the road (which is one-lane each way until said intersection.)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I was close to witnessing an accident today. Was going into the roundabout into my school. Pretty much everyone goes to the third exit (left turn equivalent). Guy a few cars ahead of me slams on his brakes after entering the roundabout at a decent speed, to let someone waiting at the first exit in. :bang:

Car behind him barely stopped in time since, y'know, not expecting a full stop; I'd have probably done the same.

E: Even the guy he was letting in was pissed, he was angrily waving SUV dude (because of course he was) to go past like he was supposed to.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

PaganGoatPants posted:

I wish people would stop swinging out to make a U-turn.

Sometimes it's necessary; my car has a pretty tight turning radius, but on roads that are two lanes per side with a narrow median I often have to swing out a bit and pre-turn as I'm stopping at the light, so that I can clear the curb on the other side.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

i am triggered plz check u're rwd privilege tia

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

That's a bit tough to pull off coming from a stop, though. :v:

Also pretty sure I'd get arrested for pulling a handbrake turn on public streets in my bright yellow import with a big (factory) wing on the back.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Horse Divorce posted:

Here is a Bro touting HIDs as a fuel-efficient mod for lifted trucks.

http://www.socaltrucks.com/2011/11/advantages-of-hid-headlights-on-lifted-trucks/

He goes on to say that HIDs should be adjusted for safety when installed on a lifted truck, but the Bro Truck community isn't known for being well-read.

I mean it's technically true (some cursory googling claims 35 watts for HID vs 55 for halogen), but I don't think cutting 1.4 amps off the alternator load is gonna reduce fuel consumption a whole hell of a lot. The halogens use about 3.5 amps total, so even switching to LEDs (which use basically no power) isn't gonna produce any noticable savings; you'll probably save more never having to replace bulbs than you do on fuel.

Basically they're complete idiots.

fake edit: Now, if their electrical system is hosed to where the socket is shorted and drawing 50 amps, that might be another story, but if that's the case they've got bigger problems and an HID conversion won't fix them. :v:

vvyes. yes i did.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Sep 30, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Sagebrush posted:

You don't even need to convert it to amps. They're saving 20 watts (electrical) per bulb, so 40 watts total. Assume an 80% efficient alternator (this would be on the low side) so the mechanical load on the engine is 50 watts less than before.

One horsepower is 745 watts.

Good to know, I'm just used to dealing with alternator output in terms of amps so I converted it using 14.6 volts. :)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I spun my (nearly bald) tires in the rain once as me and a friend in his Integra were leaving a stoplight that had just turned green. A sheriff that was watching pulled me over and screamed at me for street racing and being a MENACE 2 SOCIETY for a good half-hour, threatening to arrest me numerous times in the process, before eventually letting me off with a warning cause he was such a nice guy and sending me on my way.

Basically if I wasn't white I probably would have been killed that night. gently caress cops and gently caress laws that allow their biases to influence rulings.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

When my sisters were going to UF, I learned that as soon as you cross onto campus grounds, the speed limit drops from 40 or whatever to 25 on all of campus. And I can't remember if it's signed at all, but definitely not often; I would never have known driving to the graduation ceremony if they hadn't told me.

And apparently they do ticket heavily even if it's just 1 over.

vv It was a few years ago, it might have just been small signs off to the side or something, I don't remember exactly. All I know is they shouted at me for driving 26 and insisted I slow down.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 3, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

nsaP posted:

Personally, I found my "Rabid Pitbull with Aids On Board" sign to be much more effective.

RIP Carlin

"Honk if your horn is broken." :smug:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Alriiiight totally just witnessed a single-car accident.

Was riding home with my sister, according to her this SUV was in the right lane (we were in the center lane), then for no apparent reason cut across all lanes and bounced off the barricade; I caught a glimpse of it in the side mirror, it did at least a 360 while I was watching, probably more. We had been in a pack of traffic, but after about a mile we were the last car on the road; this thing blocked a few lanes.

I say single-car, but there might have been subsequent collisions. As it was we were lucky, the truck was only a couple car lengths behind us. Us being me, both my sisters, a friend of theirs, and my 2-month-old niece. :stonk:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIsG_8TVokw

yeah look at this rear end in a top hat destroying his car he should have taken off immediately with his nearly-solid gearbox oil and nonfunctioning gauges

(but long idling your car to warm it up in remotely warm weather is dumb, the group I used to hang out with would warm their cars up for like a half hour in Florida summer nights before driving off)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

PaganGoatPants posted:

Whatever happened to daytime running lights?

They're still around? Pretty sure they're mandatory on Canadian-market vehicles, and a lot of GM cars have them in the states since they're built in Canada.

That said, I seem to remember reading that they're not actually as effective as was originally claimed due to faulty study methodology (ie DRLs stand out against cars without lights, but when everybody has them they confer no benefit).

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Bajaha posted:

There's still benefit in low visibility weather since a lot of idiots run dark when they absolutely shouldn't.

Well that's something that could be overcome with better driver training.

Which we'll never have.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

My old coworker never stopped telling stories of his youth in Maine, pulling bro trucks out of ditches with his hardbody without even putting it in 4wd.

So no, you're not a bad person, at least no worse than anyone else.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

My car doesn't have cruise control because Mazda's vacuum cruise unit doesn't play nice with turbo boost. :saddowns:

(Yes, the Protege had vacuum cruise, and I realized a while back was one of the last cars sold with a mechanical throttle, unless I'm missing something really obvious)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Would you chance sprinting into the middle of a freeway to drag a 50-100lb, floppy mattress off the road with cars whizzing past at 70+ mph? I sure as gently caress wouldn't, not without a full police barricade.