Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Was out walking the dog yesterday, and on one of my routes, there's a bunch of roundabouts. Apparently they are really difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

PT6A posted:

Roundabouts are great in general, but more and more places are putting them in as "traffic calming" measures where there's no loving reason to do so.

I don't know why they call it traffic calming, because those loving things and the big middle-of-the-road speedbumps make me feel anything but calm.

Here In Kirkland, they put roundabouts and stop signs on the same intersection. Makes for all kinds of fun. Here you can see the back of the stop sign with roundabout.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Found on Imgur...

quote:

She decided that chipping out a porthole in her windshield was enough to drive. Unfortunately, she couldn't see me sitting at the stop sign waiting to turn right, and she crashed into the back of me.

Small damage, and no one was hurt, luckily. But I was PISSED. She was completely baffled why that would matter.

I see these tank commanders around here when it's cold, but I've never actually seen an accident before.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Saw a new bumper sticker in the parking lot the other day that made me irrationally angry. Couldn't get a pic because owner was in the car.

Bumper sticker said:

"Expectant Mother OnBoard"

gently caress you and your spawn.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

I love this. "Let's put the TV van in front of the only place to cross; forcing the drivers to drive to the hole and then make a quick lanechange."

Brilliant.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Speaking of Uber (I use Lyft and SideCar; gently caress Uber and their price gouging), there was interesting article posted on the Huffington Post posted yesterday about them. Obviously take it with a grain of salt.

quote:

GM is worth around $60 billion, and has over 200,000 employees. Its front-line workers earn from $19 to $28.50 an hour, with benefits.

Uber is estimated to be worth some $40 billion, and has 850 employees. Uber also has over 163,000 drivers (as of December -- the number is expected to double by June), who average $17 an hour in Los Angeles and Washington, D.C., and $23 an hour in San Francisco and New York.

But Uber doesn't count these drivers as employees. Uber says they're "independent contractors."

What difference does it make?

For one thing, GM workers don't have to pay for the machines they use. But Uber drivers pay for their cars -- not just buying them but also their maintenance, insurance, gas, oil changes, tires, and cleaning. Subtract these costs and Uber drivers' hourly pay drops considerably.

For another, GM's employees get all the nation's labor protections.

These include Social Security, a 40-hour workweek with time-and-a-half for overtime, worker health and safety, worker's compensation if injured on the job, family and medical leave, minimum wage, pension protection, unemployment insurance, protection against racial or gender discrimination, and the right to bargain collectively.

Not to forget Obamacare's mandate of employer-provided health care.

Uber workers don't get any of these things. They're outside the labor laws.

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-reich/why-were-all-becoming-independent-contractors_b_6731760.html

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
These are the people you share a parking garage at work with.

Parked over 2 Compact Car Only spaces. Keep in mind, these garages get full really fast so unless you get there early; you're parking on the 7th floor in the rain.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Cakefool posted:

Any way you can get this douche ticketed?

Private property; so nope. And there are signs everywhere threatening people that their cars can get towed. I've never seen that actually happen though. We had a guy leave his car in the middle of the road in the parking lot a few months ago. I posted the pics of that. It was there a good 4 - 5 hours before the owner got back and left. He parked it in the middle of a turn so no one could use the turn and had to turn around and go the other way to get out of the lot.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Have a positive story for once.

I live right on an intersection and diagonally from me is a gas station. Last night while watching tv I saw a man pull into said gas station. He tried to pull the hose to the opposite side to fill his tank. (Tank was on the outside). Here's something I've never seen before. He realized his mistake, Got in his car, turned it around, then filled his tank on the proper side. I stood in my window and applauded.

- posting from phone

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
gently caress you Mr Audio Q5. This morning I got stuck behind an idiot who was using all 4 of the lanes and meandering and drifting through each one. In heavy traffic with no signals. He was completely oblivious with the things around him and nearly caused a collision with me when he drifted into my lane as I was trying to merge onto i90 from 405.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Did you see the other video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzOmt9OKU-w

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

The other day, I was heading back home from my mechanics shop and had to go through a notorious intersection. This time, the driver took the cake. I never saw someone so stupid push their way through 3 lanes of on coming traffic.

Let me explain.

The intersection of Juanita Drive and 98th has a Michaels craft store on the corner. The eastbound intersection also has 3 lanes; a left turn, a straight and right turn only lane. Because of these three lanes, soccer moms have a huge problem getting to the craft store. They will generally block a lane while trying to leave and make a left turn for instance.

This genius decided that they she did not want to go around and back again to travel westbound down Juanita Drive. So she pulled out directly in front of me and headed straight down the eastbound right turn lane in the westward direction. I made it all the way till I could not legally drive anymore and just sat there with my horn on as she continued to drive towards me giving me the Kirkland Wave. If you don't know what that is, its the generic "gently caress you, I'm going" wave.

gently caress these people.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

B4Ctom1 posted:

The most brutal road rage I have ever seen. I have been warned about driving in Turkey

Warning: It is a road rage video that turns into a snuff film
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a19_1435429175

Holy poo poo that's some straight up gta level poo poo. Except with actual people.

(Phone posting)

Solar Coaster fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 28, 2015

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

nm posted:

The United States has some of the best coffee in the world. But much like Bud made people think all our beer sucks, Starbucks has done the same for coffee here.

As a Seattle native, I completely agree

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
These are the trashcans you share the road with

http://i.imgur.com/4b5ikHZ.gifv

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
These are the horses you share the road with

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

SpannerX posted:

Loud pipes save lives.

Try living on the corner of a busy intersection in a car / motorcycle town for a few years then tell me if you agree. I love being woken up in all hours of the night because they decide they want to rev the engine and take off like a rocket at the stoplights. gently caress those guys and their compensation bikes and cars.

Solar Coaster fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 22, 2016

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
I saw the most amazing thing yesterday while waiting to board the ferry. Older WSF Ferry guy walked out in front of a guy driving a mustang and stopped him from boarding. Walked in front of the guy's hood, and shouted "Until you finish your phone conversation and put down your phone, you are not boarding." I was in the next line over and applauded him. When it was my turn to go, the older guy told me that apparently last week one of their deckhands did get hit by someone on that same run (Port Townsend / Coupville) because they were on their phone.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Skreemer posted:

These are the idiots you share gas stations with.

People out here in Texas are going nuts because the refineries near Houston are flooded and shutdown, or shutdown because drat near everyone can't make it in. Folks are filling open 5 gallon buckets with fuel and attempting to bring it home:

It's not that bad folks, you're creating your own problem. Deep breaths and think abotu all of th.... gently caress it panic and fill everything that can hold gas to the brim.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Here in the Seattle area, we got our first White Christmas since I can remember; especially as a Seattle native. Naturally, things went to poo poo. We have a ton of drivers both from overseas and from states that do not get cold weather (looking at you CA and TX) and as such, they don't know what to do.

I live above a coffee shop so all the parking below is commercial parking. Yesterday I captured this tank commander who spent 10 minutes backing into two places right in front of the coffee shop below me. I get it if you are from a warm climate and you don't know what to do in snow; but cmon, clear your drat windows and your windshield. If you notice, he's got a pile of snow on his hood as well. No idea how this guy could see in front or in back. But eventually he did leave with car remaining how it looks.

gently caress lazy people.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

What is this nonsense?

Solar Coaster fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 5, 2018

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Stick Insect posted:

This is just gonna encourage all sorts of bad driving behaviour: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/redlight-greenlight-mobile-phone#/

Already Illegal in my state (thank god too) since 2017. What a stupid concept. Put your drat phone down.

http://www.khq.com/story/35916561/washingtons-new-dui-e-law-takes-effect-sunday

quote:

The DUI-E law, for driving under the influence of electronics, outlaws holding a cell phone at any time while driving, unless you're calling 9-1-1 in an emergency. The law even prohibits picking up the phone at stoplights.

The first ticket for an DUI-E will cost you $136.Get a second ticket within five years, and it'll cost $234. The new law also tickets drivers $99 for grooming, smoking, eating or reading while behind the wheel. Inslee says that in many cases a distracted driver is more dangerous than a drunk driver.

If only it was enforced more than it is.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Where I live, we have stop signs AND roundabouts

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
These are the food trucks you share the road with. This is currently parked out in front of my building.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Javid posted:

A friend got nailed head-on by a wrong way drunk driver on I-5 a couple weeks ago; her and her kid lived but two passengers died. He's looking at a maximum of 4 years which is lol, as this will be his SEVENTH goddamned DUI. Our laws seem to not have been written in the same reality we live in as he somehow was able to get a license after DUIs 1 through 6.

I remember when this happened, jesus christ. Condolences to your friend's friends.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Holy poo poo, pro click here. This woman has serious issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiAM5-pC6s0

*Woman walking her dog 30ft in front of this crazy*
:byodame: WHY WONT YOU LET ME GO AHEAD OF YOU????

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yes and its maddening.

:negative:

wait seriously?

What was the reasoning behind this?

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
https://i.imgur.com/tx7EOhP.gifv

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
These are the trains you share the road with

https://i.imgur.com/BN27LFa.gifv

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Happy New Year!

Now that the holidays are over, it's time to get back on the road! Saw this on my commute this morning. Rolled down my window to signal the guy he had no tire; and he didnt seem to mind. Yay!!

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Never lift!!

https://i.imgur.com/UjLthmp.mp4

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
:bravo: Well done people! Way to know where your gas tank is!

This frustrates me, especially since I had to wait extra for BOTH of them to re position their cars closer to pull the lines across their cars

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I guarantee you that the other pumps were in use but they just didn't want to wait. As someone with the gas cap on the right side you'd think I'd have the advantage of getting a pump easier, but instead there is always some stupid left capper pulled in backwards (blocking an empty pump behind them) or pulling this poo poo.

This is exactly what happened. The place was packed, with cars waiting 2 - 3 in for each aisle. I ended up waiting longer than people in either aisles around me because of their shenanigans.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Edit: Double post

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Pro Click right here.

I've seen pettiness, but this is taking it to a spectacular level

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

These are the people you share your Eurofighter with...

:gonk:

https://twitter.com/Jalopnik/status/1114215824951214080

No way, he had to have pushed something

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
https://i.imgur.com/20NPuko.mp4

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

I want to see this do a 0 - 60 - 0 test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Another brilliant parking job in front of my building.

:bravo:

This was a parallel parking spot. They were over the curb and half the car was left in the road.