Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

My brother wanted a new stereo, so I point him to Crutchfield. "They'll send you everything you need", I said. "You'll get a wiring harness and won't have to chop into the wires in your car!" I said. "Just follow the instructions and installation will be done in no time!"

I came home the next day and he says "Bob, I need your help installing my stereo." Now how the hell could you need help with step by step instructions and everything you could need sitting in the same box? I ask to see that box, and find a set of instructions still sealed in cellophane, and sealed wire harness adapter, and the last six inches of the factory harness, delicately removed with the grace of an enraged chimpanzee.

I'm beginning to realize that when he asks for my help, he's really asking me to do it for him.

Instructions are for pussies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

InterceptorV8 posted:

Yes, yes I did.

:q:

You're just gonna leave us hanging like that? At least give us a road and state!

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

RapeWhistle posted:

I feel your pain. This is a huge problem at a major intersection near where I live:

About 50% of the time when I take a left onto Essen from Perkins there will be some assfuck way past the line and it completely fucks up the ability of the left turn lane to actually turn. I've gotten to the point of rolling down my window and yelling at the guilty party while waving for them to back up when this happens. Sometimes they're attentive enough to know their fuckup, but usually they're on their phone or just stare at me blankly.

Be careful when you do this. The neanderthals who think it's alright to stop well beyond the stop line are also liable to think that you shouting at them is an affront to their masculinity and dominance. A perceived threat to their social status paired with a deficit of well-wired neurons can be a dangerous combination. Put that combination in charge of a vehicle and, well, that's how road rage incidents happen.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

A few days ago, I was going down a local highway, doing 45, the speed limit, in the left lane while I passed some cars pulling into a parking lot. This guy came up behind me way too fast and rode my rear end for the five seconds or so it took to pass those turning in. I'm happy to report that this most recent colonoscopy did not result in my buying a new bumper. Anyway, when the right lane was clear, I merged back over because I'm not in that big of a hurry. My new friend decided to show me how much I insulted him and blasted past me.

"Feed the bears!" was all I could say.

Three miles later, I saw him off to the side, parked in front of a pair of flashing lights. Looks like the bears got fed.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I'd much rather have a teleporter and also a pony. Relying on people understanding how cars work has never been successful, and manufacturers are I right to make cars more difficult to be bad at.

I don't know, man. I heard some pretty bad stories about a dude who used a teleporter with a house fly. I don't even want to imagine what would happen if you used a teleporter with a pony.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

kastein posted:

The best road rage story I've ever heard ended with the ragee grabbing the rager's tie through the window, rolling the window most of the way up, and taking off at a leisurely pace through the intersection, leaving the douchebag running for his life while sideways and unable to detach himself from the car. Hope he didn't like those shoes.

Actually, here it is: http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/van/366721693.html

some texas redneck posted:

I did that when some kid tried to unlock my door while I was pulling out of a parking spot once. Except I rolled it up on his arm.

Funny how quick he went from demanding I hand over the money (I had one of those big pizza signs on the car) to bawling his eyes out after being dragged halfway across an apartment parking lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGYJzzZ9wqQ&t=57s

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

How about putting teenagers through a thunderdome-style gauntlet? Send the driver through a dangerous obstacle course, and if he survives he will have proven himself to be worthy of driving the asphalt jungle!

In all seriousness though, young drivers should know what hydroplaning and bad brakes feel like. Better to learn early on, then learn the hard way.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Never assume that other drivers are anything but neanderthals. Sitting in a left turn lane, waiting for a left light? drat right I'm going to have my indicator on. Does it make me more noticeable? Maybe so, but that's what blinkers are supposed to do. Make you noticeable to other people, including the guy who's just about to run the read light, or the woman who's typing out her most recent text.

People are dumb, never assume otherwise. That's what this thread is about, right?

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Fart Pipe posted:

Hahaha, good. I wish all texting and driving episodes ended like this instead of taking out some innocent family or person with hopes and dreams.

How about we institute a bounty policy? If you see a driver texting, you are allowed to dispense any means necessary to get them off the road. To make sure this isn't abused, we can make phones take a picture out front and rear camera every time a text is written. So if you slam some person who was minding his own business, you face heavy fines/jail time/thunder dome/gulag, otherwise you collect a prize

A man can dream.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

trouser chili posted:

I agree, and after brotruck does it's brospin across four lanes into a treebro, you can see she pulls into a left turn lane, presumably to make the left she was planning on. This also doesn't appear to be a highway. It's something closer to a county road. I'm not sure if keep right except to pass applies to county roads or in my state, I presume it's different everywhere. I always keep right for the most part regardless, but if I've got a left coming up I'm keeping my lane because lord knows by the time I've got to make a move, some assbro will be blocking my lane change.

Also, I really don't have too much a problem with someone holding a phone while driving. It's not really what you're holding so much as where your attention is when driving, and given her performance at keeping the subject centered in frame, I'm gonna say she was giving it little attention.

According to the description, she had a left turn in about half a mile, and wasn't even looking at the guy when he was beside her. She says she didn't even see the finger until she played the video.

Brotruck was in the wrong, and there's nothing he can do about it.

Someone get this woman a proper dashcam, she's served her time in hell.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Here is a Bro touting HIDs as a fuel-efficient mod for lifted trucks.

Some Bro posted:

Unlike typical passenger cars that tend to be on the more fuel efficient side, trucks and SUVs have no such luxury. Ineffective lighting system equipment can be detrimental to a vehicle’s overall fuel economy and drivers of lifted trucks and SUV’s can’t afford to waste any energy.

http://www.socaltrucks.com/2011/11/advantages-of-hid-headlights-on-lifted-trucks/

He goes on to say that HIDs should be adjusted for safety when installed on a lifted truck, but the Bro Truck community isn't known for being well-read.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

This seems to be the motto and mantra of the people we share the roads with.

The other night I was at a stop sign when a guy on a bike road through the intersection. Running a stop sign on a bicycle at night in black clothes with no lights or reflectors. When I told the guy he did something stupid all he said was "No I didn't."

Got that poo poo on camera, too.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

PhoenixWing posted:

Met a real life crazy person today. Was driving the vw bus to work (Has a load of peace symbols, stars and moons painted down the side) and some guy in a Volvo starts honking and waving his arms about at me. Wasn't sure what he wanted, so, carried on driving. Guy followed me to the left turn I stopped for, and proceeds to yell out his window about how my peace symbols are offensive to him and America, but I wouldn't understand that because I have no backbone :confused:

Wasn't quite sure how to respond and just said the bus is meant to make people happy. Somehow that started into another rant about how my stars and moon are somehow offensive because one of them vaguely resembles the star and crescent flag and something something terrorism. Ended with him yelling "loving rear end in a top hat" and speeding off back into traffic.

I didn't think people were still angry about the Vietnam war nearly 40 years later, but, holy poo poo. Guy must've been in his 70's, and quite certainly off his meds.

gently caress you for trying to make people happy!

The only bumper sticker I've considered reads "This is not an abandoned vehicle". Shame, I currently don't have a bumper to stick it to.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

I've got a brother that does this. Turns on his car and just sits there idling. And he has the nerve to complain when he has to get more gas.

Some men, you just can't reach.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

BIG HORNY COW posted:

The original plan, when I had taken it to another friend who has a 4x4 shop, was for him to find another donor J10 with a frame we could cut up and repair the rusted one with. He decided against it though, mostly because he didn't want to charge me for all that labor because it would have turned into a huge project that I didn't really have the money for. He even refunded me for the other work he did - replacing the radiator and the exhaust - because he felt so bad about the truck sort of being a lost cause.

oooh pretty! It's a shame you had to let her go. :smith: These trucks are getting more and more rare, and all of the examples I've seen in person look like father time has been stomping on them rather hard.

I've got an 84 J10 of my own sitting in the back yard that needs some attention. Tomorrow I'm going to do a little cutting on a rear bumper, but mounting will have to wait until I can get a hold of a welder to fab up some brackets. I've got to work on front bumper, rear bumper, a working speedometer/cluster, and exhaust & other misc. pieces before I get it legalize and drivable. Maybe I can update my project thread with something other than cries for help.

E: goddamn Kastein you're embarassing me! Mine will NEVER look that good! Now I talk about my truck and everybody's gonna say "Oh, the one with white rattle-can paint and the copenhagen-tin horn button?"
Double E: It's all in good fun, that's a beautiful truck.

JukeboxHerostratus fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Nov 23, 2014

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

E: nevermind, we don't need this derail.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

These are the people that patrol the road.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Motronic posted:

An emergency vehicle is never considered to be parked.

Yes, that is terrible, but the vehicle code in my state interprets it that way to get around this kind of thing being an offense. I think this is a common way to do it.

(extra terrible for this thread: I've gotten out of an out-of-jurisdiction parking ticket on that when I was a fire officer in my personal vehicle because I wasn't provided and other vehicle by my municipality and it had red lights and a siren (all hidden)).

So there are literally different rules for us and them. What a surprise.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

MiniFoo posted:

Counterpoint: it does make a lot more sense to pull out into traffic facing the direction you need to go, along with a much better viewing angle to see incoming vehicles so you don't get t-boned/rear-ended.

Pointercount: with so many people relying solely on mirrors to reverse, backing up to a sidewalk can be much more hazardous (for bystanders) than parallel parking.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Someone might have stolen my brother's ipod out of his car yesterday. Is crucifixion an over-the-top punishment for thievery?

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Following the theft of my brother's ipod, I've switched the mobius to battery power and motion detection, and pointed it directly at the passenger door, where I've left two dollar bills in plain sight. I'm gonna get 'em.

You don't gently caress with someone's car, you don't steal from someone's car, and you sure as hell don't gently caress with and steal from my brother's car.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

They've been in my car before, my door was ajar this morning. They didn't see it last time, i doubt they'll see it again.

e: and now I've hidden the spy cam. Happy hunting.

JukeboxHerostratus fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 29, 2014

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

kastein posted:

It won't take off dude.

The conveyor belt will collapse, they aren't intended for that much weight.

Right. Everyone knows you need a real big fan if you want it off the air.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwsCIg_6tcM

e: If I had known that I would have to explain why a motorcycle passing at 90 on the right on a populated interstate was a bad thing, I wouldn't have posted the video. I'm going to say my piece and let it be.

I was in the right lane as I approached the interstate.
I saw a long line of cars on the entry ramp ready to enter the interstate. Deep behind those cars is the black crotch rocket.
People here tend to merge at 45, so I moved to the left lane, still at 65.
I pass several of the cars which had already merged. At this time, I may have been over 100 yards ahead of the motorcycle.
Here the video starts. Merge lane ends, there are two cars ahead of me on the right. I'm still going faster than them so I keep my place in the left lane to complete the pass (not all passes need to be dramatic).
I saw something move in my mirror, and I look in time to see the motorcycle speeding past me on the right.

Why were you going so slow?
I was going 65, the posted speed limit for the area. At that speed, I was still going faster than the cars ahead of me. Why not faster? Because it's not uncommon for hwy patrol to sit around the corner looking for speeders.

Why were you in the left lane?
I already said, I moved over to make room for cars entering the interstate. I was passing them before the video started, and I was continuing to pass the cars ahead of me.

Why didn't you move over to that huge space on the right?
Two reasons. I already said one, that I was going faster than the cars ahead of me and that I was going to continue to pass them. I was passing slower traffic and continuing to pass more.
Second reason: by the time I saw the motorcycle, it was too late. I couldn't move over because he had already gotten into the lane.

Why are you so butthurt about it?
Risk your own life, I don't care. Risk my life and you piss me off.

but you weren't in danger
Eat me.

JukeboxHerostratus fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 10, 2015

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

I was going 65, speed limit for that stretch of road. I was on the left to let traffic in from the on ramp I had just passed.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

nevermind, life's too short.

JukeboxHerostratus fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 10, 2015

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

e:goddammit i said i wasnt going to do it. fucl.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

NC will never cease to amaze me.

So, how can we blame the kid for this one?

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

kastein posted:

I saw something today. :stare:

:stonk:

So that's what paranoid schizophrenia looks likes when it drives. Definitely a 50-mph-everywhere guy.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

0rganDonor posted:

Maybe he was short on time

Of all the excuses to drive like a dickhead, that's the dickheadiest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Deedle posted:

loving idiot.

I was having a bad day, but this bought a smile to my face. Your good deed quota for the day has been fulfilled.