Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I was in Vietnam recently and wished I had documented the traffic there better. Millions of motorscooters and nobody, I mean nobody, follows any basic driving rules. Drive against traffic? Who cares. Red light? Says you. Clockwise round about? You mean anticlockwise. Paved median? Speed bump for my u-turn. Pedestrian crossing? Start/finish line. One vehicle per lane? You mean three. No passing? OK, I'll pass on the left, or the right, or the sidewalk (where I usually park). The traffic is shoulder to shoulder, mirror to mirror peds, bicycles, scooters, cars, busses and trucks.

The funny thing is, compared to Thailand (where people tend to follow the rules, there is colossal gridlock, and you are 4x more likely to die in a traffic accident than in the US) traffic keeps moving - but at 30 mph max, usually more like 10 in the city, and you're only 2.5x as likely to die as in the States.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
The numbers are based on motorists, though, not total population. There is definitely enough traffic density in VN for it to be an issue.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

blk
Dec 19, 2009

blk
Dec 19, 2009

I've never been asked to do this during a stop, which is good since I can't even do it sober.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

xzzy posted:

I want to thank the owner of the 335i perpetuating stereotypes about BMW drivers who was so incensed at being forced to drive at a mere 45 in a 40 mph zone that he zigged between lanes about four times in a quarter mile trying to find a hole, crossing a double yellow to try and figure out why people were blocking him (spoiler: the road was full and no one could go faster) and flipping his high beams rapidly because we didn't part like the red sea to allow his lordship through.

He hugs up on my bumper and does this for a few seconds, so I brake checked him. That finally got him to back off but as soon as a car in the other lane made a turn he juked around me at full throttle and tried to brake check me back. Unfortunately for him I knew it was coming so I'd let off the gas and all he ended up doing was looking like an even bigger dick.

About 100 yards later he made a left turn, and jerked the wheel three times as he tried to decide which side to slip around the next car in front of him, all before he'd even finished the turn.

Stupid shitface, hope he impales himself on a guardrail.

No matter how much of an rear end in a top hat someone's being, brake checking is a pretty terrible idea all around. It's an easy way to cause an accident and inconvenience a whole lot of people other than the parties involved.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

Passed a black Buick (older, probably late 80s) that was doing 55 in the far left hand lane on the I-5 just south of Everett today on my way home from a day trip down to Woodland Park. The whole right side of the car was smashed inwards, covered in duct tape, and spray painted black.

God, I wish I had gotten a picture of that.

Washington.jpg

Why do people in your state drive so slow in the left and center lanes?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

Your loving country, why is the solution always "let's add more cameras!"?

Your man Orwell was not writing an instruction manual :v:

Jesus, this. I entertained moving to the UK 10 years ago but it's become such a nanny/surveillance state that I wouldn't be able to take it. Nice place to visit, though.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Kidney Stone posted:

Let me just put this is in here:

Please tell me this is satire.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Also re: the whole inspections thing (in the United States), it's all well and good to mandate safe maintenance standards for cars, but I would prioritize driver education over that. Although many accidents happen due to mechanical negligence, the majority of accidents are caused by idiots with cars in reasonably good condition.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I was driving home yesterday behind a new Malibu and the driver flicked his cigarette out the window. I stopped and picked up the butt, then caught up with him (long, straight street with no turn offs) and followed the remaining 1/2 mile until he stopped at a long light. I got out and knocked on his window, which he rolled down, and told him "Don't do it again," before flicking his own butt in his face. He was too shocked to say anything; nobody else was around so I turned around behind him and went home.

a) I guess I'm a cool cigarette-flicking AI guy now

b) One of these days I will be killed by someone with a gun in their car

c) I know not all smokers litter like assholes, but far too many do.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Yesterday I saw a Mini parked across four spots, a car behind me started laying on the horn when I pulled over for a fire truck, and some idiot kid on a bike ran a stop sign right in my path - I slammed on the brakes and missed him by 2 feet; he looked like he was making GBS threads himself.

Why are so many people bad at this stuff?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

LloydDobler posted:

In Oregon it doesn't even have to be two one ways. You can turn left on red onto a one way from a two way.

Only 5 people in the state seem to know this, though, and I end up honking at the rest (which never works, they sit there in dumbfoundment).

blk
Dec 19, 2009
These are the people(?) Russians share the road with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnsdc7cTPuU&t=35s

blk
Dec 19, 2009
A haiku for people who waste my time:

Put down your cell phone
Keep your eyes on the stop light
Go when it turns green

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Zipper merging ++

You should always merge when you're supposed to. Merging early just cuts the carrying capacity of the road and causes more traffic and congestion. It's not about who's "first" in line, it's about getting everyone where they need to be.

Everyone in this goddamn thread needs to read this loving book:

http://www.amazon.com/Traffic-drive-what-says-about-ebook/dp/B001BAGWQE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1417503727&sr=8-5&keywords=traffic

blk
Dec 19, 2009
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7c6_1419341917

blk
Dec 19, 2009

blk
Dec 19, 2009

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Probably ABP, but so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyldcogFacg

blk
Dec 19, 2009
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pG2urgjFUuI

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Re: front plates - real cops in my city don't give a poo poo but the parking nannies ticket you for it.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Portland. The Miata is the only car that I tend to take downtown and I just took the plate off of it. I'm going to see what happens when I leave it on the dash next time. Since I leave the car unlocked (or top down for shorter periods of time) it might be stolen, but hopefully everyone here is too busy stealing bikes instead.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Jesus, this is sad. Why can't people secure their loving loads?

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...FlowTwt_NYBrand

blk
Dec 19, 2009
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3zHRQn_IShw&feature=youtu.be&t=1s

Title on YouTube is misleading

blk
Dec 19, 2009

DEAR RICHARD posted:

In a span of less than a minute, I got to test my brakes and how long I can sustain a horn blast twice. Twice.

Both of them are on this picture:

Burnside turns into a winding 40 mph road with two lanes going west and one lane going east. Traffic was light as hell going west and I was in the left lane cruising at 45. Honestly, these turns and poo poo are fun. There was one car in the right lane that was far enough ahead and going fast enough that I was 100% visible to them.

1. Car in the right lane begins to drop speed, slam their brakes, hit the signal, and loving TURN left across my lane to park or something. I'm going 45 ish when I see them start to lose speed so I just get this feeling that something loving dumb is going to happen, so I slow down. There isn't anyone behind me, so it's okay. Dude slams his brakes, flips the turn signal, and doesn't swerve into my lane, but just turns. If I hadn't had seen what he was doing from the start, I would have driven right through his drivers side door. I came to a complete stop with him feet from me and I just laid on the horn for a good 30 seconds and flipped him off the entire time. Dude had a solid 10 minutes to get into the left lane and then turn, but nah, he saw a spot and took it. Also, there was a loving flipped over car off to the side right near where he wanted to park.

2. I'm stunned. My jaw is hanging low and I'm still in disbelief when garbagedick number 2 happens. I'm still in the left lane, no cars around me going my direction, light traffic going in the opposite lane. I'm back up to around 35 at this point when I see this dude in a Sentra at a stop sign to my right decides to make his turn NOW instead of waiting for me to pass. His lane isn't clear, so he turns into my lane going head on with me. I slam on my brakes again and lay on my horn and flip off another dickbag in a span of like a minute.

There were a fuckton of other geniuses out there today. I seriously need a dashcam. Portland drivers are loving idiots.

Someone turned left across my lane on Taylor's Ferry the other day; I almost died. I blame transplants for all the bad driving lately. Need to get my Mobius wired in. I'm going to put together a local meet, you should come.

blk fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 19, 2015

blk
Dec 19, 2009
E: NM

blk
Dec 19, 2009

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I drive in Southern California about one week out of the year and don't mind it. It's the same terrible behavior I see in the Northwest, just at a faster rate of speed - so hey, at least we're getting somewhere.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

blk
Dec 19, 2009
The best part was the additional student driver stickers wrapping around both sides and the front.

WARNING: TEENAGER

blk
Dec 19, 2009
http://i.imgur.com/jTriOwS.gifv

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Late to the flash to pass party, but I've always wondered if I could put a couple of bright orange flashing LEDs behind my center mirror or someplace inconspicuous and turn them on when the driver ahead of me isn't paying attention - like the orange lights on top of utility or railroad or flag vehicles. I'm not sure what the regulations are on that - I don't think it'd be impersonating an officer but it might run afoul of something else.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Here's how a local state trooper treated a motorcyclist who passed on a solid line:

http://i.imgur.com/TrqPCCF.gifv

blk
Dec 19, 2009

The Locator posted:

I wasn't even all that concerned about him bumping the bike, it was how he acted afterwards, with his gun out (and handled in a way that I've certainly never seen taught outside of a video game or gangster movie).

What's even scarier is that OSP claims that's standard procedure. Glad I've never been caught by them.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=38b_1455155825

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
The video is totally worth it http://www.oregonlive.com/trending/2017/01/washington_motorcyclist_crashe.html#incart_river_home