Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

kastein posted:

I don't understand why you need to inform anyone when they're in public, but hey, who ever said the law had to make sense?

That's the grounds that a lot of those laws are being challenged on; both parties must have a reasonable expectation or privacy for the law to apply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Might (mass) makes right :eng101: People don't understand p=mv and if his m is bigger than yours, for any v greater than 5km/h you're pretty much hosed.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

kastein posted:

E = 1/2 mv2 :eng101:

And yes, it sure as hell does, but that doesn't mean retards won't pretend you can bend the laws of physics to let them do whatever they want after they cut your rear end off doing 30mph slower than you.

To illustrate this a little better, one of my trucks doing 52mph (redline 5th) has almost exactly the same kinetic energy as another of my trucks doing 120mph. The slower one weighs around 5 times as much.

:cripes:

I have been out of the game for waaay too long.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

0rganDonor posted:

Speaking of merging, mash that pedal when coming down onramps for gods sake. It's hard for some of us to stop and not speedbump you on the interstate. And if you're already puttering along on the interstate, use your goddamned mirrors, if there is a fast moving, large object in the lane you want, please reconsider your actions. (stupid driving conversations tend to be cyclical, I know)

This happened to me early monday morning outside of Atlanta. The magic happens in the left pane and pretty quickly so you might have to rewatch to get the whole thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICGFSPVFtYE

Dude merging slow scaring an already slow driver into the center lane, thank god I was already changing lanes and that left lane was clear, I couldn't have stopped even if I had used two feet on the brake.

:stonklol:

Anyone on the fence about a dashcam, watch that video.

How long did it take you to get the seatcover out of your rear end?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Geirskogul posted:

License plate light circuit.

Some of those are not constant on.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I have a :unsmith:/:unsmigghh: story from my drive home just now.

My commute home involves a school zone, and I regularly see people just ignore the 20mph speed limit in the afternoons. A lot of the folks are just oblivious, and a sharp wave or a *BEE-BEEP* gets their attention and they slow it down. It's kinda feel-good to get people to be safe around the kids.

However, I had a special kind of rear end in a top hat this evening. I'm making a left onto the main road past the two schools on the block, and I see a Nissan Armada come whipping up the oncoming inside lane with his blinker on, blowing through the school-zone blinker. I leisurely make my left turn in front of him, across both lanes, blocking him from careening around the corner by virtue of aiming for the right lane. He tailgates me for a few seconds, then whips around me. I blip the horn a couple times and wave to try to get their attention, but they're going somewhere in a hurry.

Today, most glorious of days, there was a cop at the intersection just past the end of the school zone. The cop pulled out right in front of the dude, not realizing just how fast the Armada was booking it (I estimate 50mph in a 35mph zone, 20 with the school zone of course). The Armada had to slam on the brakes HARD to avoid broadsiding the cruiser.

I have never seen a cop quite so pissed at a traffic offense in a looong time. His offenses were probably: 30+ over, then school zone penalty (double IIRC), probably a reckless or careless as well. It comes out to at least $613, and that's only for the 30+ in the school zone :haw:

Sometimes, there is justice in the world :yayclod:

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 25, 2013

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

xzzy posted:

Or there's the other extreme, two crossing guards plus a pair of police cars monitoring a half mile stretch of 35 mph road with two 20 mph zones. In the ~10 years I've been using this chunk of road to get to work I have never once seen a child actually crossing it. But every single day they got the school zone flashers going and cops waiting in the wings to write tickets.

The worst part is that there are two cross streets right through the middle of the 20 mph areas, but these cross streets have no indication of the reduced speed limit. At least half the cars I've seen get pulled over in the area get nailed after turning on to the main street.

Those persons should be able to contest those for improper signage. They added two more signs for the school zone on my commute on the cross street for just that reason.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

StormDrain posted:

I've found the only way I can truly relax while being tailgated is to 'turn off' my mirror by pointing it toward the sky. I try to do so in such a manner that it's obvious I don't want to look at the person behind me. When I need to change lanes later I'll aim it and hopefully the troubles have passed, or crane my head around to check blind spots.

Krakkles posted:

I'd have to say anyone who ignores things on the road on purpose deserves a mention in this here thread.

Geirskogul posted:

These seriously have to be top-rate GBS trolls, right?

watwat posted:

I think so. The obvious answer is to brake check the tailgater until he speeds by in rage.

As a Miata driver, I identify more with flipping the rearview up when someone is three feet off of my trunk with their highbeams on and they won't pass when I slow to 20 under the limit. Also, at no point did StormDrain claim he was ignoring the tailgater. For instance, the side mirror on the Miata is positioned in such a way that even when properly aimed, I can dip my head over and get a pretty good look at my six. I had a guy follow me for 9 miles in this fashion the other morning, and couldn't be bothered to go around, even when I was doing 40 in a 55 in the far right side of the lane to let him pass.

I have no idea what I did to set this motherfucker off, but driving with your rearview focusing that amount of light into your eyes is stupid, especially when there's enough light coming in at the right angle that it's bright enough to read one of my sci-fi paperbacks.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

rscott posted:

Man driver's ed really needs to tell people about that little switch on rear view mirrors that dims that poo poo (unless that's what you guys mean by flipping up the mirror and not like, moving the whole housing out of the line of headlights). I polled some of my friends on this a while back and only ~30% of them knew it existed. I didn't until someone here mentioned it.

e: FWIW I didn't take driver's ed and got a half assed education from a few friends

That's what I'm referring to, at least. With the guy that followed me the other morning, it was still too bright on the dim setting. Then again, three feet off of my bumper (at sixty goddamn miles per hour :wtc:)

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

rscott posted:

If they're lifted high enough I can actually see oncoming traffic below the bodies of their trucks :v:

Think this is foggy enough to actually turn on your headlights? Too bad half the people on my commute don't think so!

In my home city, everyone would be running around with highbeams on. Because that's what the dude on the traffic radio said to do. I actually called the traffic tipline just to yell at them for being idiots.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I saw a lady stuck in the suicide lane of the busiest N-S street in town with her kid in a stroller.

I can usually stay calm through even the most idiotic of transgressions, but that kind of poo poo just drives me up the goddamn wall.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

West SAAB Story posted:

Today, I actually witnessed a semi-safe tailgater.

Had some idiot in a newer Dodge Avenger trying to crawl up my rear end today as I headed into town, maintaining a safe speed from the vehicle ahead of me. Of course, there were some slowdowns, but there was one "HOLY gently caress BRAKES" moment when the dumbass ahead of me turned hard into the alternate lane, and person who he swerved in front of moved into my lane. That really shored up my slow braking abilities. :v:

The shithead behind me hit the brakes hard, and turned towards the shoulder at the last second. Thank loving god.. this car took me 8 months to find. :hydrogen:

Don't you love it when you get a car you really like, or a car you've had for awhile finally attains the state you wished it was in when you bought it, and it seems like every shithead out there is on a mission to destroy it?

See: My 89 E30 (t-boned by texting van driver), my 87 E30 (minivan pulled out 50ft in front of me). I've had two near-misses in the 95 Miata so far since I bought it in August. People think I ride with the top down all the time because I'm tall. No, idiot, it gives me superior visibility so that I can avoid morons on the road.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Did the driver's test in my 1980 F250, since the DMV's car was in the shop. The instructor, when I pointed out my truck in the parking lot, audibly sighed and rolled her eyes.

I did well enough that she was complimenting me on my driving skills at the end for being able to precisely handle such a large vehicle while parking/parallel parking. When we did a the three-point turnaround test, I had to do it in 5, but she didn't take points off "because this thing is pretty massive, and I don't think you could have gotten any more out of the road without putting a tire off."

But yeah American licensing is a joke compared to some EUR countries.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I'm doing 80 on I-10, minimal traffic at 06:00, and I get passed by a black Acura SUV doing at least 90. He merges back in front of me with about 10ft of clearance, prompting me to brake out of cruise, and the fucker's got no taillamps lit. Luckily we get off at the same exit, and I fly down the off-ramp (practically mandatory in a Miata :v:), catch them at the light, honk at them and signal with my hand that they've got no lights. They quickly turn them on and wave sheepishly. Looked like an older couple just heading into town.

DRLs and constantly illuminated instruments are retarded.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Dec 16, 2013

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

NitroSpazzz posted:

This rolled in this morning. Apparently it was making a strange sound yesterday then this morning on the way to work it started handling funny so she drove to the dealership 20+ miles away. Good thing the TPMS sensor was there, she likely knew she had a low tire.

You removed the tread before taking this picture... right?! :stonk:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

xzzy posted:

A scrolling led sign in your rear window with the message "TURN ON YOUR HEADLIGHTS YOU DOOFUS."

I know we've all considered that, right?

I couldn't behave with such a thing. Texting while Driving would take on a whooole new dimension :unsmigghh:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Yeah, the racing school is in no way a cumulatively terrible idea. Sure, you're going to have some people that take that experience and flip to be dangerous irresponsible children, but let's face it, they were going to be terrible irresponsible dangerous people anyway, now with a modicum of car handling skills.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I was one of the people you share a road with today :yaycloud:

I was on I-10, cruising at my normal 76mph. I got passed by a Mazda2 who was probably doing 85-90, and being the resourceful fellow that I am, I gave him about a half-mile of lead before I *ahem* maneuvered to maintain visual contact.

Lo and behold, pop over a hill and see the trooper pulling out from the median just in front of me as he lights up the poor Mazda2.

I was laughing for the next mile. Then I was sad that I lost my cover and resumed normal cruise.

Trooper bait: better than any radar detector ever made! The best part is it's free! Limited availability though...

And let me preempt commentary on the subject by stating I am aware of the following:
1) I shouldn't speed and I am a terrible unsafe driver blah blah blah
2) I'm a jerk for letting some poor unsuspecting fool take the $252 ticket for doing 85+ on I-10.

:unsmigghh:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I have also experienced the phenomenon where a car will go slower than you when you are in cruise, but as soon as you attempt to pass, they will either match in your blind spot or pass you outright till they slow down 3 minutes later and you pass them again. The pace matchers I like to slowly draw up their speed in +1mph increments.

I've finally started passing as I would on a two lane road: plan ahead, hammer down until you get past the vehicle and coast back into cruise. When you come up on one of these douchebags at 15+ they don't have time to be dicks.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Atticus_1354 posted:

I wish I could do this when I am on I-10 going 80. I will start to pass someone who is going around 75 and they will of course start to speed up and I will end up going 85 or more before they let me pass or else I will have to be the rear end in a top hat who is in the passing lane without passing. I also hate the people who don't use cruise control and will go up the hills at 65 and then fly down them at 80+. One guy kept flying past me on the downhills only for me to promptly pass him again as he crawls up the next hill. If your car is slow that is fine just stay in the right lane, leave me alone, and stop loving up the flow of traffic for the rest of us.

That's why I said "Plan Ahead". Start 250ft back when you drop the hammer. Even my Miata gets to 85-90 without dropping a gear by the time I'm next to anyone.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Kill-9 posted:

Easily solved. Try to drive at the average speed of traffic. I usually idle along in second gear and the gap in front of me grows and shrinks, grows and shrinks. People merge in, people merge out. If I get my speed right I never have to touch the brakes. I find it almost zen-like in the concentration required to keep that speed juuuuust right and I get pissed when I do have to tap the brakes. Riding the guy's bumper in front of me isn't going to get me to my destination any faster.

:hfive:

I will downshift all the way into first to keep from tapping the brakes. The only downside is if you've got a texter behind you and they don't see brake lights they won't look up. This wasn't so much of a problem with the stickerbombed BMW, but the Miata with the top down is much harder to see over the hood of the SUV that is invariably filling my rearview with grille.

Protip, assholes: If I can't see all of both of your headlights in my mirror and the largest distinguishable feature is the manufacturer logo YOU'RE TOO loving CLOSE. :argh:

Also, heavy fog this morning. 3/5 cars with no lights. :smithicide:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

InterceptorV8 posted:

The Black Ghosts strike again!

Almost mowed over a lady wearing all black walking a black dog at 10:30 at night just the other day. :q:

I nearly ran down three of my neighbors coming home from work one night at 23:00; they were walking right in the middle of the street on a blind curve, and the HOA president was one of them. A cop even showed up to my door asking about the whole thing which was kinda :stare:. What I don't get, is that after I swerved between them (they loving scattered both directions, idiots), I stopped, got out, and ran over to make sure everyone was okay.

For the next six months I was constantly yelled at to slow down, even though I never had nor ever will speed in my neighborhood(s).

Just because my car happens to make some noise doesn't mean I'm going fast, dammit! :argh: Being my teenage self, though, I intentionally downshifted to first whenever I passed the HOA prez's house, just because I was angry at having the cops show up at my door and getting yelled at all the time.

They even got the speed limit changed from 30 to 25.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 12, 2014

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Geirskogul posted:

I like you, I really do, but you're only hurting yourself and endangering others by wearing yellow glasses at night. Light flash recovery times (the time it takes the retina and the brain to recover from a bright flash and restore night vision) are more than quadrupled with yellow lenses. Pupil recovery times are, in some instances, more than octupled.

Driving with yellow lenses will certainly make you feel better at night, because your pupil stays small and therefore bright headlights seem more tolerable, but you can't actually see nearly as much on the actual road.

The recovery times and vision inhibiting effect of the yellow lenses is the same and is not affected by any types of color blindness. The problems they cause are so prevalent that wearing them at night has been banned while driving in many places (like sunglasses), including the town that I work in as a refracting optician.

Yeah, that's nice and all, but it sounds like it is actually painful for him otherwise. It's like driving as a deaf person: appropriate caution in an attentive driver goes a lot farther towards safe driving than most other drivers without the handicap (sorry CSB :glomp:) will ever approach.

For the record I am Red-Green colorblind and horizontal light bars still throw me for a loop sometimes. I have been known to occasionally stop at green lights. :v:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Friar Zucchini posted:

I don't generally drive like a nut, but I'll almost always floor it on a highway onramp.

...I try to be moving at least 45mph by the time I have to merge, that's the only way I'll manage. My car ain't quick. Whenever I let someone else drive I always tell them not to be afraid of the pedal, but they tend to just be terrified of everything driving a tired old Suburban.

When I'm in the Miata, on ramps are my lateral-G threshold testing zones. Around here, I usually have to ease off when I get to Interstate pavement.

I also get upset when I have to share with someone who doesn't share my joy of on/off ramps. GET OUTTA MY WAY I'M TRYING TO HAVE FUN IN MY GUTLESS WONDER! :argh:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I would get a motorbike but I've had such lovely luck that I know if I ever got into a wreck riding I would be dead. Somehow after 8 car accidents I'm still mostly unscathed.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I don't have any residential areas other than my old neighborhood where the speed limit is less than 35. Rarely 30 or even less so 25 (my old neighborhood).

So, yeah, 30+ is pretty much nbd.

Thank you for wearing reflective gear. I nearly killed the president of the HOA and her friends in my mom's neighborhood one night because they thought it was a brilliant idea to waltz down the middle of the road at 22:30 with no reflective gear on a corner. Also nearly killed a cop standing in the road on a highway as well. Black uniforms at 02:30 where the limit is 65 and no reflective gear? I almost wouldn't feel bad for punting you 100 yards. Idiots.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

I gotta stop posting-without-rereading when I get interrupted.

Edit to add useful info:

"This morning, got to watch an SUV bomb along doing 30+ mph along a residential side street, slow down (but not down to 25, even) to blow through a stop sign while making a right turn onto a busy through street (right through the crosswalk I was about to enter) and then hammer down up the road again."

I see rolling stops (IE, slow waaay down but not stop, then continue) all the time, but "gently caress you" stops like that are rare.

Yeah, that's a shooting offense. I only do that when I'm out delivering papers 2AM-4AM. After 4AM I slow down a bit because you jogger fuckers are weird and like to get up at the asscrack of dawn to punish yourself. Stopsigns don't really exist before 5AM if I have good visibility on the intersection.

Basically what I'm saying is that newspaper delivery folks are loving insane :v:

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 24, 2014

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Krakkles posted:

• "People should be shot for doing this."
  • "I do this!"
Really?

Beach Bum posted:

Basically what I'm saying is that newspaper delivery folks are loving insane :v:

:goonsay:

We also have the privilege of being intimately familiar with our routes, as it's the same streets every single day, and with the high-beams on nearly 24/7 (off for traffic, of course) it's very apparent when something is out of place. The only time this behavior occurs is with absolutely zero traffic of any kind. You may still say "That's not justification" but hey, that's on you.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 24, 2014

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Re: Joggers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsmZCsvE-sI&t=228s

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
We have snow forecasted here next week (N. FL). I am terrified of what horrors I could witness.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Oh, the joys of having the same insurance company. They try to screw you So. loving. Hard.

I had the same kind of thing happen when my last E30 got totaled. Traveling down right lane of a main street into town. Minivan is coming out of a Starbucks. Stops. Driver looks at me. I get to within about 50 feet and the driver must have floored it because I had enough time to say "HOLY SHI-" and turn/jab the brakes before impact. She was apparently trying to make a left turn across all those lanes (4+middle turn lane).

Have an imgur album. http://imgur.com/a/2qFjj

loving assholes, I loved that car. It wasn't even a native; it was a rental, from Orlando, with 5 kids and another adult passenger in the car. They were on a church trip. The driver was wearing white capri pants and spilled hot coffee all over her lap and it was the most glorious bit of karma.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

wayfinder posted:

Except it DOES work here in Germany, where it's actually coded in law to merge zipper style, as late as possible, and people do it just fine the overwhelming majority of the time.

Germans are not real people, they are robots :colbert:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Bro trucker reacted exactly as expected.

My car has the turning radius of a moon (Because Volvo) so usually when someone's waiting for me to pull out they don't leave me enough room. A few times this has lead to me glaring at them until they back up. I'm not going to make a 25 point turn just because they felt like they had to stop 10 feet from my parking space.

:confused: my 240 has an 8.3m turning circle, which is better than both the E30's I've had AND the Miata.

When this happens to me in the Miata, I like to see how close I can get to them while backing up before they honk.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

rscott posted:

E30 isn't so bad it just takes forrrrrever to go from lock to lock with the stock rack

One of the things that ticked me off about SCCA classing was that a rack change dumped you directly into prepared. I let a Miata driver have a go behind the wheel because he wanted to know what torque felt like and he boned the first slalom so hard I didn't stop laughing for the rest of the run

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
If I don't have someone behind me I will do this as well. Florida drivers (and the student drivers ESPECIALLY) are invariably assholes, incompetent, don't even register seeing my Miata, or all of the above. However, if I have someone behind me I get the gently caress out of the way and bully my way over.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I think I blew some driver's mind this morning when I came up to a light that I was going straight at. I saw his blinker come on and made a last-ten-feet adjustment to give him enough room to make the right on red. The look of :unsmith: from the other driver was much like I'd imagine is on the face of a war vet returning from the front for a little R&R.

:unsmith::respek::unsmith: You go, other driver. We'll get through this together.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

xzzy posted:

Hinges are hard guys. :smith:

They pulled into a Home Depot a couple blocks later.

edit - hah I only just noticed what they did with the padlocks.

The padlock thing is so that two people with two different keys can both open the truck. Granted, I think it's easier to copy a key but :geno:

Or they really are too cheap to order a single lock that will loop through both hasps.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Uthor posted:

Vegas was the only place I've seen someone dragging a gas stations' pump hose behind their car with my own eyes.

I am ashamed to admit I nearly pulled this stunt one night. Luckily the nozzle whipped out of the filler neck and banged on the ground. The clerks at that gas station (who I know pretty well) laughed their asses off as I sheepishly got out of the car to replace the nozzle.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Also, sometimes I just like to wring out my car and hear the pleasant noises. Is pleases my stupid lizard brain to make it go "vroom-vroom" :q:

Yeah I have to endure the guy in his very sensible champagne Toyota Camry slooowly easing up next to me at the next light with a smug poo poo eating grin on his face, but I don't care because I've got a huge grin on my face and I'm about to absolutely destroy the turn just up ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Liquid_Table posted:

Driver's Ed 101. When you see a car merging on to the freeway with you, there are three options: Speed Up, Slow Down, or Move Over. No one seems to grasp or remember this. Driver's Ed should be much more stringent and loving mandatory in this country.

ITS MAH RAGHT TO DRIVE MAH CAR.

The sense of entitlement most Americans have about cars is rather absurd. It doesn't help that you need a car to do/get to 90% of work.