Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
I speed up when someone tries to pass me on the right. Because, like, if I'm in the right passing lane and someone passes me on the left, I'm not going fast enough, clearly. I just happen to stay next to the guy until he runs into the slower traffic in the travel lane. :getin:

Also, a lot of the fastest drivers I see on the road drive Priuses, strangely enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
I have been posting nearly exclusively in GBS recently. It's hard to adjust.

I'm glad to see so many people getting mad over that though, it is the correct response.

Edit: my lovely L200 isn't fast enough :(

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Michael Scott posted:

Why, what's the appeal over there?? New GBS drives me away just reading it.

The humor isn't for everyone. Imagine everyone trying to troll everyone and that's the sort of posting that goes on. Hence why what I said made people mad

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
I feel bad for derailing this thread. So let me tell you about this challenger I saw go though my neighborhood. But first, a little context. My neighborhood is private condo community that doesn't allow thru traffic. In order to enforce this, they put huge rear end speed bumps to deter people trying to use the road as a shortcut. So last week this guy comes barreling into my neighborhood with what appears to be a pretty new challenger. He comes up to the first bump and SLAM, it sounds like he got into a car accident. He then proceeds to move forward and gets to the next one and literally takes two minutes to get over it. I was laughing the whole time.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Someone say Saturn? I daily a 2003 Saturn L200 with 152,000mi on the clock. Let's list the poo poo that's broke:

brake booster
windshield wiper transmission
rear brakes
speed sensor
front suspension
drive train
front suspension again
one of those holy poo poo handles in the back
the driver seat
headliner
sunroof rails
air conditioner compressor
front suspension again

the only reason i tolerate it is because my parents insist on fixing it

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
To summarize what is going on in the south:

Stolen from GBS's "How did you babies in the south like your 2 inches of snow?"

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
My parents also own the Relay and used to own an SL1. They realized Saturns were terrible a few years after they bought the Relay in 2007, but it was too late. Saturn ate poo poo in 2010.

Let's list poo poo wrong with that with only 60,000 mi on it:

-both doors out of alignment and jam
-abs/tcs system hosed up
-rear plastic paneling ripped off when the door caught it
-rear gate has a terrible seal and leaks what when it rains
-doesn't start occasionally for god know what reason
-sometimes starts then stalls
-key fobs dont work anymore
-internal compass keeps falling off calibration
-OEM tires screeched like a parking garage car chase all the time
-alternator can't regulate voltage, you can see the dash lights and head lights flickering all the time

Consumer Reports estimated the Saturn Relay to require 92 repairs to be done within the lifetime of the vehicle. 92

The SL1 wasn't that bad though :unsmith:

You can safely bet anyone who owns a Saturn will not make the best life decisions.

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 23, 2014

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
There is an inherent danger with putting your car in park while stopped due to the possibility of not having control of your car should a dangerous situation arise. It's the same reason why it's illegal to coast in neutral while driving. It's not intuitive, but you can avoid accidents with your accelerator pedal just like you can with your brake pedal.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Listen man, I didn't make up the rules. But most laws are such to keep people out of danger. Having the ability to accelerate gives you more control of your car than not being able to. Having more control of your car makes it safer to drive. End of story.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Geoj posted:

Still waiting to hear that scenario where coasting to a stop in neutral or putting your car in park at a particularly long red light is the primary cause of an accident.

Truck is sliding on ice trying to stop at the intersection you are at. The back end starts to step out as you impulsively stomp on your accelerator to try and get out of the way. The scream of your rev limiter confirms your fate.

Happy?

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Is it really that difficult to understand? No. The truck was the first to come to the fresh red light. The difference is you could have cleared the trucks path if you were in gear. Don't bother trying to debunk the scenario because there are plenty of scenarios where you could get in trouble for being in neutral while driving and I can just present another one.

Bad drivers are coming from inside the thread :tinfoil:

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 26, 2014

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
It's only a patch in the direction the truck is coming from. I'm going to keep manipulating the situation to make it possible. Frankly because accidents aren't really predictable to start with. gently caress it, a goon you made fun of on the internet is going to ram you with a hastily put together parade float with hanzo steel swords taped to the front. His eyes glint from the shadows of his fedora as his cheeto covered face manically smiles. Same thing happens. The chances of the accident actually happening isn't the point here.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Geoj posted:

Or you could just shift into gear and drive away. If the truck hits you in the time it takes to get back into gear you are hosed anyways.

I'm starting to believe you have never actually driven a manual transmission equipped vehicle before. From a roll getting back in gear and applying power is fast and easy - especially with a synchronized gearbox.

It's more dangerous in automatic cars. I thought you would have known that since you seem to know everything.

xzzy posted:

Oh okay so ice only exists where it helps to make your point. Everyone else is driving on dry asphalt fit for an F1 racer.

:jerkbag:

You wholly missed my point. Like, entirely.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Not so much a derail when the thread is apparently referencing the people posting. My point, which I've already stated before, is that it is safer to stay in drive.

Some of you sound like your trying to say two people drag racing in identical cars will finish at the same time if one is in drive and one is in neutral. It's mind boggling.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Says the dude who replied with absolutely no content :ironicat:

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Woah, you seem upset.

But seriously, the scenario is only meant to illustrate how silly it is to claim that staying in gear is just as safe as neutral. The likelihood of it happening is entirely irrelevant unless it is impossible. Being in neutral is dangerous, more so in automatic than manual. You have the state of mind to think "I have to shift to move" where as most people who own automatics (which is the majority of drivers, however poorly represented in AI) mindlessly press the accelerator to move. In either case, it means a delayed intention to implementation, which is dangerous if you are trying to avoid danger that is coming at you. That is, as I do understand, the only thing that can happen when you are stopped. Debating the other side of that is pretty pointless as you risk safety for convenience, which is self destructive behavior. You bring up a decent point with be extra cautious and leaving egress space. You have to pick and choose your risks, otherwise you are just wasting time. Whether it's a risk you are willing to take is, ultimately, up to you. However, there is the counterpoint to your argument, you will occasionally have the space to take advantage of staying in drive and egress. And hopefully, given it's fate, it is the time you have untimely demise barreling toward you. It only takes one time to say it saved your life, regardless of how improbable it is.

Relax and understand that while I recognize I'm beating the poo poo out of this subject, I can't grasp the other side of the coin and keep talking about it. It's such a simple thing to do and it could save your life one day.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
The discussion was lovely anyways. Don't act like I was the only one perpetuating that bullshit, either.

Here, have a dashcam video that was uploaded yesterday. I could be a re-upload and, in fact, much older but I'm not going to check :effort:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDReBJ-eY4c

I can say I've had people do this to me, I can't say anyone was going nearly that fast :stare:

Also, have this picture a buddy of mine took in North Carolina:

There just isn't a back window

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Feb 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
It's always deer season in Connecticut.