Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Utopian Mind posted:

Bad Intersections?

HAHAHAHA. Seattle engineering laughs in the face of your so-called bad intersections.

Enjoy.

All of those streets are busy during commute hours, busy during University of Washington hours and the one leading up and out in the left corner leads to a suburban family filled neighborhood. So, you have idiot kids, drivers, college kids, boarders, and heavy traffic, all going through "that". And that is the improved version!

That's still the old version. It looks like this now:

It's a little better but still pretty bad even by Seattle standards. Notably, three of these streets are named Ravenna and the east-west route in the middle changes names three times in the span of three blocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

superdylan posted:

Say I'm on an empty 3-lane highway doing a brisk 63 in a 60, in the right lane. Coming up is a car in the middle lane going 58. Do I have to switch 2 lanes to go around, and 2 more to get back to the right lane, or do I stay in full-on keep right except to pass mode? This is in WA

In Washington, passing on the right is explicitly legal when you are driving on a multi-lane road (assuming you are using a lane and not the shoulder to do so) or are going around a car making a left turn.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
I live in Seattle, city of four-way stops. This commercial adequately characterizes the local driving experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XdohA-4tQ0

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
There are a couple of one-way streets near my office, so I occasionally get to see people either go the wrong way down them or assume the two-way streets are actually one-way. Today I witnessed someone drive an entire block in the wrong direction and then attempt to make a left at the next intersection from what was, to the driver, the right lane. Apparently the fact that there were only signals in three of the four directions was not enough to clue him in because they actually tried to pull into the intersection as if they had a stop sign. For better or for worse, the driver actually managed to make his left turn without realizing what he had done. What's the German word for being mildly disappointed that a bad thing didn't happen to somebody as a result of a stupid act?

(Shockingly, the driver couldn't have been much older than 40. He had a similarly-oblivious passenger, which made the whole episode even more impressive. And in true Seattle fashion, no pedestrian bothered to knock on the window and let them know what was up.)

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Today I watched a woman back into the car behind her three times while attempting to parallel park. These are the dents you share a car with.

(My car was in front of her, but she didn't hit it once. I'm sure she was thrilled when I crossed the street, got into my car and drove away)

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
I actually looked it up. According the NHTSA, "distracted driving" is a factor in about 9% of fatal accidents in the US from 2010-2014 and cell phones are a factor in about 13% of those accidents (which works out to ~400/year). Alcohol, meanwhile, was a factor in about a third of all fatal accidents. It is further worth considering that "distracted driving" encompasses all forms of driver inattention not caused by some sort of mental or physical impairment. I guess we could save a few more lives by enacting an FAA-style ban on nonessential driver conversation, outlawing car stereos and forcing babies to be carried in the trunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Phanatic posted:

These are the truckers you used to share the Chesapeake Bay Bridge with:

It's a new trend. 2nd time this week: Semi truck hauling apples crashes into Columbia River