Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I admit I will break queue for someone who is making a left on a twolane road. I will signal with a courtesy flash while maintaining speed to open a gap. However, if you have your head so far down your lap that the world is loving lost to you I will cheerfully roll on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

wolrah posted:

I made the mistake of accepting this one once and drove my pristine Thunderbird with the rare color-shift paint right in to the path of an oncoming Kia Sportage. I only had liability coverage on the car, so the other guy got his car replaced and I got a lawn ornament that looked great from one side and didn't have a straight panel on the other. Ended up selling it to a body shop in WV for little more than scrap value.

I still have those "gently caress I'm an idiot" shower thoughts over that one regularly almost ten years later.

Did this with a workvan. Though I managed to bring the van to a complete stop just in time for his wheel well to glance off the apex of my bumper. Damages minimal to me, new paintjob for him.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I got a brand new sedan... out of my own money and after driving an 18 year old truck for the first 5 years of my driving career. I wouldn't have had it any other way as I learned how not to drive with it because I was the person you shared a road with. It only recently came full circle when I got rear ended by another driver who was just starting her solo time driving.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

naughty_penguin posted:

A lot of times the bike lane is in the door zone where people will park and hop out of their car without looking to see if there is a bike coming, leading to the bicyclist getting "doored", which can be just as bad as any other car accident.

Quite Oftenly Lethal

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Extra posted:

*a driver seeing a yellow light appear slams on the brakes as his car slides into the intersection*
*light turns red*
*red light camera snaps a picture*
*statue of liberty crying in the background*

Just label the driver of the car, have a kid in the backseat also crying, some overweight guy in black at the background holding a bag of money and some smarmy, angry balding man in in the corner popping a terrible pun like "photo finished." Now you too can write for The Onion

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Better yet, the assholes who drive about all high beams all the loving time. I can see your low beam is out you're not fooling anyone you stupid oval office!

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
The future of automated vehicles.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

In my experience everyone going 20 mph under the speed limit is driving an old-but-not-that-old pickup truck with no cargo or trailers.

It's not my fault that my truck has a progressive shake anytime it goes over 50. (96 Ford F250 with structural rust.)

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Actually yeah it is get off the loving road if you can't handle the speed limit

I'll allow exceptions if you've got your hazards on and you're limping to the nearest shop

Okay it's more like anything over 90 will cause it to be vibrationally active, but that thing has no business going that fast.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Geirskogul posted:

It's good thinking to beef up the public transportation system if you're going to be scrapping 1/4 of the cars on the road.

And maybe more than that in drivers

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

no, the subaru passed in the intersection where there was no bike lane

also,

most bikers consider bike lanes unusable, because there's often a buildup of debris inside them. So they tend to stay right on the line, towards the middle of the road.

There's also the tendency for the bike lane to be right next to the parking lane and for stupid fuckers to just swing the doors open as if they're escaping Italian thermal tuning. People don't look, people jump out from between cars, and cars actively don't give a gently caress. I say this from riding through the streets of New York which is also filled with equally suicidal cycling assholes as well.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
In NJ while U-turns are generally illegal or discouraged by the drivers handbook, K turns are actively encouraged and one of the only 5 things the dmv will test you on specifically.

My road test consisted of that, parallel parking, making sure I mentioned seat belts to the instructor, and not falling for the trick stop sign in the parking lot of the department. Consequently my opinion of NJ drivers is absolutely bare minimal unless proven otherwise

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 29, 2014

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Sagebrush posted:

What is this, like a stop sign that's too small or mounted too low to be legal or something? And do you seriously fail if you stop for it? Way to go New Jersey!

There's a parking lines annotated with stop, with no corresponding sign. I've heard of people failing the test because they failed to heed it despite there being no corresponding sign. This was before they repainted the lot after erecting a new building for the main DMV.

Edit: I'm not actually sure how accurate these accounts were because I know for a fact they were shitheads driving. All I know is I stopped where it said stop and didn't get busted for it.

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 29, 2014

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I've seen a van driving about that was dragging it's FWD pumpkin across the ground

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

N is for Nipples posted:

Ford's autolights work just fine! I often turn mine on early, but usually I don't even have to touch the switch at all except to turn on the fogs about once or twice a year.

Word, they're also tied into the wipers starting at interval, so more often than not they're on when they should be and the fogs work like actual fog lights in the Focus

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Bovril Delight posted:

...an intentional suicide judging by the fact it doesn't look like they ever braked.

Some people choose to inhale a bottle of Codine, others choose to hammer down and turn a 3.5 ton truck into a KKV to whatever unlucky sonsofbitches happen to be in their way.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

FogHelmut posted:

You're paying less than a teenager in New Jersey USA with a clean driving record, good grades discount, and legally registered under the parents' insurance.

I pay 220/mo for NE NJ with a single accident on record. I for the record, hate this state so much

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Considering acetylene will spontaneously combust above 15 psi I don't think you'd make it as far as hitting a curb.

Might work on dirtbikes, max PSI there is usually around 16 psi

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
You can rent a NYPD officer for a nominal rate and is in fact a requirement for gatherings over a certain size that require a license in lieu of private security officers.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

PhoenixWing posted:

This kind of bus:

Unbelievably slow, and quite hard to stop.

So, if you slam into someone's brand new Mercedes, you just get a $350 fine and you're off the hook? :confused:

That's the criminal penalty for just the lack of insurance, you can be sure as hell that the person in question is going to try to extract as much of your finances as physically possible with a civil suit.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Not a bad parking job though.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Powershift posted:

That's now how you do it

this is the proper way.

"I have made a terrible mistake"

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

wolrah posted:

Here's what you're missing:

Level crossing means anything you'd call a railroad crossing, so it's pointless to say that most train/car accidents occur at level crossings because cars tend not to be on the tracks anywhere else.

Relevant, these are the cops you share the road with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiGUoRd6eCg&t=60s

Please tell me my satire detector is malfunctioning cause I can't tell if this is a real thing or not

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Bovril Delight posted:

This is a legit Cops episode

What in the actual gently caress? "HArd on my stomach as well as my back", It's like he has absolutely nothing interesting to say and just needs to fill in. I wonder how the Camera plays into the officers psyche of "I got to sound like a badass and do something cool when in reality, my job is a boring shithole", and his decision to pursue a dirtbiker through woods with a goddamn crown vic

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

mariooncrack posted:

I saw this last weekend. This minivan missed the exit for the turnpike so he pulled over to the side and started reversing. All he had to do was get off at the next exit, less than 1 mile away, and got back on the highway going the other way or drive less than 10 minutes to get the non-highway entrance to the turnpike.

"BUT I HAVE TO, THAT WAY ONLY SATISFIES 99% OF MY CRITERIA!"

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I'll admit, I'm often bad at this whole clearing the whole roof thing, but I at least make sure that anything that remains is either less than dollar sized, powder, or will require a jackhammer to remove.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Protocol7 posted:

I bet you'd just skid on the tires, and depending on some other circumstances it will probably harm the car.

Typically you'll stall the vehicle, chirp the tires, greviously harm the transmission, and in some cases lose control. Don't ask how I know this, only that my ex drove like crazy

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I have a confession to make, I was a person you drove with. A few years back I had just come off of an alighted and went to visit family, took the ride back from PA on I80 bout 2/3rd the way through Jersey. One moment I think I'm fine, the next I hear shouting from my mother in the passenger seat and it's dark? I opened my eyes, going sideways left at an unknown rate of speed. Oh poo poo!

I had no idea what the hell was going on, but I managed to remember that the car was FWD, and so I gassed it and went full left, managed to get myself going straight again and back on the roadway before pulling over. Somehow between passing out and recovering, I managed not to hit anything and chose drat near the only grassy median in the entire state with nothing to hit.

Since then I've had my Jesus moment and turned my terrible driving habits around including fatigued driving.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
The theory of lift/no lift is based on the idea that in a skid or other undesirable situation you don't want the vehicle suddenly gaining traction when the car is not in a desirable orientation or you run a pretty good risk of rolling

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Bike paths are often within a foot or so of parked cars, and the people we share a road with often like to throw the doors open like they've discovered the passenger seat is occupied by a particularly ornery bear, launch themselves headlong into traffic, and hurl their multiple ton vehicle across the bike lane without such as a shoulder check.

Whereas taking the lane may be the safer bet for visibility, reaction times to assholes coming off the curb, and not meeting the interior of some assholes door.

E: Oh god bike derail, make it stop!

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 09:49 on May 12, 2015

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Negromancer posted:

Yea, if that was the US you would have seen a firetruck push a car into the intersection.

Hell, some departments have a reinforced bumper on their trucks just in case.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
My girlfriend is someone you may share a road with. Let's run down a checklist of all the things terrible.

Foglights: Always on
Headlights: aimed 40-60 degrees left. Cannot see in front in dark
Curb rash: you better believe it
Laneholding: Cannot maintain a lane in the presence of other headlights.

Learning status: Cannot even.

Just tonight she blew a red that she "didn't see" despite me warning her well before the panic threshold that a red light was coming up because she was still accelerating towards it. Hell the only reason she was able to avoid the a tuck going straight across was shouting "redlight! Redlight!"

Apparently sighing after barely managing to avoid plowing us under a freightliner means I'm being "mean and judging", loving hell.

Also "I can't do highways"

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 7, 2015

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

PT6A posted:

Why do you willingly drive with someone who you don't feel is able to drive safely? Would you knowingly get into a car driven by someone who's drunk?

Because this is perhaps the second time I've gotten into the car with them at the wheel in the 6 months of going out with them.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

So that's who stancers are trying to Emulate. They stance out for better traction on drainage culverts. Good to know :ms:

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I got woken up early this morning. Keep in mind I have an automatic Ford Focus, she drives a Ford Fusion.

"I can't move your car."

"Hrmglewha?", hello person in face

"I don't know how to let the brake off", okay

"It's the exact same way as your car."

"No its not"

Engine on? Yes
Hold down the foot brake? Yes
Take right hand from shifter, move it towards you along the console, grab the lever that's sticking up press the chrome button on top and guide the lever down? "You're an rear end in a top hat, you do it."

I was less than impressed.

I'm not proud about going from zero to road rage in less than a minute awake, but Jesus Christmas I haven't even rolled out of bed yet.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Last night I witnessed a Honda Odyssey driving <40 mph in the lefthand lane of a 55 mph road, despite having a clear 2 mile shot ahead of them. A tanker truck loaded with fuel came right up behind them and did the flash to pass thing because he was angling for a left exit about a mile down the road. Mind you, I could see the heads of the van being fully loaded snap forward as the Odyssey brake checked the semi before speeding up <50 mph. Unsurprisingly a half mile later the odyssey had slowed down and the truck came up on its bumper flashing once again having maintained the same speed I was going. This time the van sped up unprompted. Left exit comes up and the Van takes it, slowing down to 25 mph to take a 40mph advisory speed turn causing the truck to have to heavy break, laying on the airhorn for at least 20 secs

TL:DR I watched a Van and a Semi-truck attempt to antagoinize each other into vehicular homicide.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

B4Ctom1 posted:

Bad driving results in accident on dash cam (full screen and advance to 1:10) :nws: for language
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9de_1456377183

Yeah, that section of roadway gets a little squirrely because of a series of left exits before, narrowing back down to 2 lanes in a short bit and heavy merging traffic from businesses about a half mile down the run with inadequate ramp space. Idiots in civics are also a plague.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOxo49yUBjA

Apparently three dudes chasing a BMW 3 series down a three lane highway on foot? I don't loving know.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Uthor posted:

I see people use the oncoming lane as a left turn lane all the time in rural areas. That creeps me out for no logical reason. There's no other traffic and it allows me to continue without slowing down, but is still seems weird/dangerous.

It's because you're basically getting triggered that something is not right. That little IFF/pattern recognition part of your brain has picked up that the person driving is not where they're SUPPOSED to be. Anyone who's driven for more than a week or so can recognize that people who aren't where they're supposed to be or are driving anomalously may in fact behave erratically.

Are they drunk? Do they have the wrong address and are about to cut back into my lane without looking? Are they about to find the nearest tree/lightpole/ditch. Your brain is warning about a potential threat and that creeping out feeling is your flight or flight response gearing up for decision time.

Edit: This is also to say nothing about the fact that anyone who might be at that intersection may not be expecting a car to be oncoming in their lane if they're turning right.

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
The story behind that bus in NJ according to witness accounts is that it attempted to perform a U-Turn. Given the positioning of being West of Exit 25 and the immediate proximity to the Official Use U-turn the bus driver likely attempted to save time by turning around instead of travelling down to the next exit and turn around there. Traffic at that particular spot on 80 usually flows at 70-75 mph and those busses accelerate like wounded whales...

2 dead at the present time