Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«6 »
TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Local to me, someone took parallel parking at Fred Meyer's to an extreme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

I don't know for sure, but it looks like a bystander peeking into/under the van.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Observed on I-82:

lovely picture, but you might notice that the towed vehicle isn't really straight. At all. That guy flew by doing 75, with the Mustang (?) swerving back and forth behind the U-Haul, bouncing off the (bad) road like mad, too.
Maybe lock the steering wheel in a straight position next ime? Or, I don't know, rent a full trailer instead of a 2-wheel dolly?
I've never seen anything like it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

leica posted:

Lol where in the USA is that.

Not here. Note the cyclist even:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

PCOS Bill posted:

Glock 17 on my hip all day every day. Namaste.

IWB? LOL who am I kidding?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

What is wrong with that greasy-looking guy? That's one of the most punchable faces I've ever seen.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

jamal posted:

The other option would be not sucking.

I'm starting to think that diesel bro trucks only have an on/off switch instead of an accelerator pedal. Within about 2 minutes I saw two different guys flooring it to blow black smoke up to traffic, then coasting, then flooring it again, another guy flooring it up the onramp only to sit there tailgating the car in front of him in a big line, and then another guy making an illegal u-turn while on the phone. All in full size diesel pickups.

That's because they only have two modes:

1. ROLL COAL BRO
2. Diesel is expensive!

That's why you see that binary behavior.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

KozmoNaut posted:

Ford Excursion aka The "Buried Penis"-Mobile.

I like to call it the Ford Exclusion.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Fixie and bullhorn bars, I'd bet $100 on it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Cached Money posted:

The Regal just made a loud bang, screeched to a halt and the engine stalled but it started back up and reverse worked fine. Never knew 80s GM had that sturdy transmissions.

I've performed the same bone-headed move in a late 80's LeBaron. What a poo poo box that thing was. I accidentally bumped it into reverse going about 30-35mph. A very loud bang and it rolled to a halt. I had to restart the stalled engine and everything worked fine.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

kastein posted:

Haha, like passing lane hogs ever look in the rearview unless a cop is bearing down on them with the blues flashing.

They might notice the cop after a couple of miles.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

nm posted:

In the bike lane today. Dude passes me way to close in his truck, immediately swerves into the bike lane, slams on his brakes and I guess is going to parallel park into an empty spot. Had to slam on my own brakes and almost hit him. rear end in a top hat -- wait 10 seconds and try not killing people.

I've given up. If I keep riding on roads, I'll get killed by some ignorant idiot who isn't even aware of it and probably feels I deserved it for riding a bike to begin with.
Nobody knows how to pass properly, use a loving turning signal or even lights when it's dark.
I'm sticking to bike paths, shared use paths, anything but roads. gently caress that.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Farm roads can be okay, but there are plenty of rear end in a top hat semi drivers for bigger farms that feel inclined to pass within 1ft at 60mph, blow their horn, or both at the same time.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

you ate my cat posted:

I've found that around 2/3 of the times that I say "On your left" when I'm about to pass someone, they step to the left and stop dead instead of getting out of the way.

Better still is when there are two of them and the one on the left darts right while the one on the right darts left.
Great job guys.

I prefer the oblivious pedestrians on a bike path to cars on the road. I've learned to slow down around the pedestrians and expect them to act stupidly. Fact is, they are walking and absolutely not expecting anyone going faster than them. It stinks, but that's what it is.
It beats getting passed with about 6 inches of space. I used to catch up to them at lights and properly yell - but that's not doing anyone any good. They won't learn, they want to pass.
If you do have to ride on the road and you're worried about passers like that, take the whole lane and force them to pass in the other lane. While legal (WA), it obviously has problems, too and I really can't recommend it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

buttcrackmenace posted:

Interesting.

also : the guy in the Camry is not in the wrong.

Look at the second video.
- the driver's view of the police unit was obstructed by the cars in the other two lanes
- the officer switched on lights but no siren
- the officer failed to completely clear the intersection before crossing against the light

Hope the Camry driver retains decent counsel.

Yea I don't think Camry guy had enough time to stop for that waffling cop. poo poo or get off the pot, don't just sputter through the red light.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

I don't remember why I was dicking around with it. But that's a good guesstimate what 19-year old me would have done.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Some absolute stinkyhole decided it would be fun to try to scare a cyclist by deliberatly swerving off the freeway and pass as close as possible to the cyclist on the dedicated bike lane a full THREE METERS from the freeway edge.

I hope that stupid prick either has his motor detonate or at some later point, he loses his license for many years.

People are assholes. I keep a spark plug shard with me for those occasions. Haven't had to use it, but I'm looking forward to it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

spog posted:

He stopped when he discovered that this enabled the steering lock and removed the brake boost.

How long did it take him to 'discover' these unknowable mysteries?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

That was great.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Kid looks like an rear end in a top hat. I declare him guilty.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

I despise that behavior and I'm on a bicycle. It happens pretty frequently, too: any intersection with a right-of-way and two stop signs is a great candidate. One person on the right-of-way sees the cyclist and slows to a stop to coax me across the intersection.
No thanks stranger, I play by the same traffic rules/laws as you do. The next rear end in a top hat on his phone may plow right into the stopped car or me.
So, I usually just sit at the intersection and stare. Eventually everyone else gets tired of Mr. Nice and starts honking. At that point, Nice Guy is flustered and mad at me.

Never fails.

It would have been much faster and less confusing for everyone to have Mr. Nice Guy just drive through the intersection at the posted speed limit. WTF.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

They just can't believe a cyclist would turn down such a nice gesture.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Krakkles posted:

Which one did you switch to? National has the 200s but I don't think I've seen a Sebring, and I've never seen a GT.

National gave me a Ford Transit Connect van a couple weeks ago in SC. It was a decent ride except for the auto transmission in it. Always hunting, especially in low speed city traffic.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

It's okay if you do it slowly.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

um excuse me posted:

I've seen trucks with no trailers haul rear end too by contrast. Some are surprisingly fast without a load. Like I'd be behind a truck at a light and I'd settle in for a slow drive, and then the truck would start pulling away from me in the green, accelerating faster than I would normally in traffic. Do big rig truckers upgrade their trucks beyond dumb chrome and clearance lights everywhere? Is that a thing I don't know about?

It's almost as if a 30 ton trailer has some detrimental effect on acceleration. Weird.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Powershift posted:

Yeah, even with a 18,000lb truck pulling a 13000lb empty trailer i could usually outrun traffic. Guys do upgrade their trucks because more power makes for an easier day, more miles a day , and more money. You can also buy factory 605hp 16 liter trucks, and the macks/volvos are easily tuned to 685/735hp

these trucks are probably over 1000hp and 3000ft/lbs and are still put to work every day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IptV663j11E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny180iK8DKs

Also, everybody in the crowd now has cancer.

That's some nice twisting.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

xzzy posted:

driver education in the US

lol education.

Every day on my commute to work I count cars that should be using a turning signal vs cars that are using their turn signals. The ratio is usually 40/60.
Now that the day light hours are getting fewer again, I'll be expecting to see lots of drivers without lights on in the dark.

Potential bias disclaimer: I got two driver's licenses (small motorcycles & cars) in Germany and a standard DL with an expired motorcycle endorsement here in the US. The 'education' involved in getting those licenses in the US is trivial in comparison. It's mind-blowing that I don't see more idiots dying every day.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 21, 2016

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

PT6A posted:

It should be legal to kill people who have their hi-beams on in city traffic. Like, there's streetlights all over the goddamn place, and tons of traffic. You can't possibly need your hi-beams, or even benefit from them in any way. Bonus: the guy who brought this thought to mind... was parked. You most especially don't need your hi-beams on when you're not even loving moving.

I'd be happy if assholes turned their lights on in the first place, high-beams or not.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

quote:

A woman was arrested Monday morning after a brief pursuit with the Washington State Patrol through west Olympia.

A state trooper had tried to pull over the vehicle for speeding on Interstate 5, but the driver fled the scene, according to Trooper Todd Bartolac.

During the pursuit, the driver dialed 911 and said she refused to pull over because she was late for a psychological evaluation. She wanted the state trooper to just mail her the ticket, Bartolac said.

He said her vehicle’s speeds “never exceeded 60 mph” during the pursuit.

The woman was stopped near Capital Mall Drive and Cooper Point Road shortly before 9 a.m. Bartolac said she was taken to a hospital for a psychiatric evaluation, cleared for release, then booked into Thurston County Jail on one count of eluding law enforcement.

Troopers had to use force during the arrest, and the woman slipped out of handcuffs at one point, Bartolac said. No other injuries were reported.

Source

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Uthor posted:

I guess depending on how one thinks about it. If one thinks "double the speed, half the time", yes, there's no diminishing returns.

If one thinks about how much time one saves by going a certain speed faster, yeah, there's diminishing returns. Going from 20 mph to 40 mph cuts one's time in half. Going from 40 mph to 60 mph is the same 20 mph increase, but only reduces one's travel time by 33%. So, each 1 mph increase is a smaller and smaller decrease in travel time.

That's probably because 20-40 is doubling speed, whereas 40-60 is not.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

iospace posted:

For example, say you have 100 miles to go. You go at 25, 50, and 100 mph. It will take you 4, 2, and 1 hours to do that distance. Going from 25 to 50 mph shaves off two hours, but going from 50 to 100 only shaves off another hour. If that's not diminishing returns, I don't know what is.

What you have depicted there is exactly a linear relationship. Going 4x as fast will take 1/4 of the time. Going 3x as fast will take 1/3 of the time. Going 2x as fast will take 1/2 of the time.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 3, 2016

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I still think a double-wide sidewalk with a railing down the center and each side marked for cycling/walking is about the only way anyone will feel less "endangered",

You'd have pedestrians and cyclists both ignoring which side to be on. I see it every day on multi-use paths that have clearly marked "bike" and "pedestrian" lanes. People do not give a poo poo.

I commute by bike exclusively and I stay off roads as much as possible altogether. Drivers have no qualms about passing me with a couple inches to spare.
I prefer bike-only or multi-use paths. Luckily I can do almost all of my commute that way.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Analogue Kid posted:

Half the time I yell "on your left" on a bike/pedestrian trail, the pedestrians move to the left not knowing what the hell to do. Unless it's their first time on that trail in particular, they should be used to the procedure by now.

Better yet when there's two or more pedestrians side by side. I holler "on your left!" and more often than not, the left will scatter to the right while the right will scatter to the left. Uh thanks.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Good post. I find myself happiest on the road when I am alone.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Murphys Law posted:

When somebody only flashes their signal once when they've already merged halfway into the small gap in front of you do they honestly think this is an appropriate amount of indicating or are they just mocking you at that point?

Don't worry, they probably accidentally ham-handed the blinker stalk while turning. There isn't much room for a fat hand between the back of the steering wheel and the stalk.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Protocol7 posted:

I don't think there are any states or municipalities that exempt you from using your signal when turning, even in a dedicated lane. If there are any, there are probably very few.

That may be relevant in the event any such state or municipality decides to start enforcing proper turning signal usage.

Haha. The cops around here don't use signals, either.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

lol if you don't pull into their lane right before they pass to really teach 'em a lesson for going too fast

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Yes, camera car could have helped to avoid it. But I am so glad he/she didn't.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

I find it hard to believe there wasn't signage to indicate those changes to alert people like him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Why are you so close to him, considering what's pictured?

«6 »