Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
So what'd you tell him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
It's especially great if Mr Polite was the last car in a long line I was waiting to go by. Sweet, now we will have this standoff and at the end, he'll drive off mad and at the head of a new line of cars I now need to wait on.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, legally this would probably be no different than the apocryphal story of the guy who put his RV on cruise control then vacated the driver's seat.

Summon is garbage and as much as I like the idea behind Tesla, they're loving idiots for pushing this poo poo out to production and treating it like it's ready to use. It's dangerous.

think of the upside. Innovators like Tesla really drive regulatory oversight. Lol.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

waffle iron posted:

Even with 100% mapped lanes in parking lots, GPS is generally accurate to 3 meters or 9.8 feet.

You can get much better than that even with just regular L1 band and some fancy signal processing. I don't know if Tesla is doing that (doesn't look like it), but it certainly would be a great application and it wouldn't be prohibitively expensive.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
drat

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
You forgot to mention brakes. The problem with towing heavy poo poo isn't necessarily accelerating - can you slow it down effectively?

the answer to that for the pictured combo is a hearty LOL

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Colostomy Bag posted:

What do you call those things (and pardon my ignorance) that span the driving axles like a McDonald's arch. Usually with the aero hubcabs.

Fenders?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Powershift posted:

Local fast foodery has a U-shaped drive-thru. I can't imagine how many thousands of dollars of damage those posts have done.

You can see they've been painted like 50 times and people keep digging through the paint with their bumpers.

Some people weren't even loving close to making the turn.

a couple weeks back, someone local tried taking an RV through a drive-through. It didn't go well and she was arrested.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
this seems easily preventable. At the same time, you get to not be that guy.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

MattO posted:

I once sat through 3 cycles of a light before finally getting out of my car and walking up to the person at the front of the left turn lane and (trying not to scream) explained to them that they needed to move more forward more because they weren't on the trigger thing, since the cars behind them honking and honking didn't seem to get the message across.

Some people just love stopping a full car length or more before the stop line. The same people also really like stopping at least that far behind other cars in a red light queue, ensuring the line is as long as loving possible.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Phanatic posted:

Riding a motorcycle without a helmet, but with a surgical mask on because you’re scared of germs, says interesting things about your capabilities of risk analysis.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Protocol7 posted:

So... if you’re an rear end in a top hat, chances are you drive like an rear end in a top hat and drive a bimmer?

I've done the math. It checks out.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
This mode of transportation will never take off :colbert:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
see I drive slow and stupid no matter who is or isn't in the car with me.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Ladies and gents, the Gig Economy

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Craptacular posted:

They have automatic transmissions and their foot's slipping off the brake.

Plenty of people love stopping with a 1-1.5 car gap and then creep forward in anticipation of the light turning green. They creep more/faster the closer they are to a green light.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
It's me, installing non-functional modifications to my vehicle given to me by strangers

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Javid posted:

The consequences of crimes are indeed unpleasant, this is to deter poor people from committing them.

:sad:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I had a dude years ago that flipped me off when I gave a little horn chirp at a light. It turned green & was solid for a good 4-5 seconds before I tapped the horn, at which point he looks up, then in his rearview mirror, flips me off & drives off. gently caress you too buddy, not sorry I interrupted you trolling Grindr for 10 minutes instead of paying attention or whatever the gently caress you were doing.

Had this happen to me just last week. Same situation, except this guy got mad just a few seconds later as he really loving stepped on it, pulled away, and flipped me off through the open sun roof.

Ok buddy.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Getting their last miles in before turning them over to the bank

I'm starting to see a lot more 'nice' cars on FB marketplace lately with people looking for buyers to take over payments or a lease.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
https://twitter.com/Bromethazine_/status/1256368687659077632?s=19

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Causal cyclists riding down the road on the wrong side of the road are the worst.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Is there a speed limit on shitposting?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I see colour, the light's green bitch *buries the accelerator and spins up the tyres too much and ditches the car into oncoming traffic *

Mustang driver spotted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Zorak of Michigan posted:

One of the interesting bits of the boot Digital Apollo was that the guys building the lunar module guidance system developed it to the point where it could auto-land under most circumstances, and the pilots would just be bystanders until/unless something went wrong. The astronaut with the most knowledge of the system - I think it was Dave Scott - told them no astronaut would ever use it. It wasn't that they didn't trust it, it was that if the ostensible pilot wasn't already flying when something went wrong, the time it took him to orient and react might be longer than they had.

He understood that back in 1970 and yet the auto industry can't accept it.

And that wasn't a bad decision, considering the landing site fuckup on 11.