Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
All these people on bicycles looking at their smartphones instead of the road. Swerving into the oncoming lane. Rear-ending me when I'm waiting to yield to other traffic. (These are cyclist-only roads, which is probably why these people haven't died yet :geert:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

nsaP posted:

Dudes who wear cameras and post these videos are seriously the worst riders just itching for a confrontation.

Like this guy? (at 2:15)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWw9J8mmOcg&t=135s

Nice bare arms and hands :v

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Also, please please PLEASE gank bicyclists for this poo poo too.

Yes please! This is coming from a cyclist who doesn't drive a car.

The grieving parents of a 21-year old who got killed by a texter suggested the punishment be the same as those for drunk driving. I'd say maybe it should be even higher, these people are stone cold sober when they decide to use their phones while driving.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Texters tend to think they're better at texting and driving than the average person, so they believe the law is only for average people, not them: https://www.psychologicalscience.org/news/motr/when-it-comes-to-driving-most-people-think-their-skills-are-above-average.html

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
x-post from the Schadenfreude thread:

canyoneer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOwa7HzR4K4
A life skill when you ride a motorcycle is "forgiveness" and "letting things go".

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

FogHelmut posted:

He was just going for it, not even looking.
I've been in two collisions because of drivers not looking when reversing. The lady admitted "I thought you had driven off..." You have three mirrors and a head that can rotate on a neck. Maybe use them.

Thankfully no injuries and no real damage because it's all low speed.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Riding through town centre today on my bicycle. This long truck & trailer combo coming from the right needs to make a 90 degree turn (and they have the right of way). The roads are narrow and there's not a lot of space to manoeuvrer. I stop well back from the intersection so I don't have to get crushed under the trailer while I wait.

This BMW overtakes me as I'm standing there, and rolls as far forward as they can go. The car behind the BMW immediately follows their example, overtakes me as well and stops right behind the BMW.

The truck slams brakes, then starts inching forwards again. The trailer is getting awfully close to touching the BMW so they toot their horn a few times. Some gesticulation and anger ensues. BMW tries to reverse, but can't because of the car behind them. Then the 2nd car starts blowing their horn. At this point traffic is completely blocked in all directions, so I just walk around the blockage.

How do you not see such a big truck? What on earth is their thought process?

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
In the Netherlands anyone born before 1980 can drive one of those, no driving license required. You can also park them on the sidewalk (the narrow models anyway) and avoid parking fees.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Sure it can be done.

Cameras keep watch constantly so the watchers can close the lane if a vehicle breaks down somewhere, or emergency services need it.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
This is just gonna encourage all sorts of bad driving behaviour: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/redlight-greenlight-mobile-phone#/

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Or when it thinks the light has turned green but it's actually for a different lane.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

It does, and he waited for the light. The problem is he didn't think "Oh, maybe the lights flanking the sign that says OVERHEIGHT MUST TURN apply to me?"

To be fair the wording could be better. If it said "HEY, IDIOT IN THE TRUCK! YOU'RE TOO loving TALL! TURN MOTHERFUCKER!" it might be more effective.

The telegram-style wording can make it seem as if the message just applies to everyone all the time, and be interpreted as "(if you are) OVERHEIGHT (then you) MUST TURN". I support the idea of a more accusatory tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
I was waiting to yield to traffic from the right.

And right as I start moving, some dude overtakes me on my left and immediately turns right forcing me to slam brakes to avoid hitting him.

Impatient piece of poo poo.

We were both on bicycles so it's not like he couldn't see what I was waiting for.