Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Are all you people who've had to use the e-brake downshifting at the same time, or just relying on the brake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Yesterday morning I was heading into town to go to class. A lady who looked to be in her mid to late 20s in a Subaru pulled out in front of me into the road leaving my (small) town.

This would've been fine if she went the speed limit (40) instead of 30. Or went 45 instead of 30 when the road met with my area's main route. Or going over 25 mph in the 30 zone the next town over, or going 35 instead of 25 on the faster back route to the next town... you get the message. There was only one stretch where she and the speed limit matched within 5 mph, and the limit there was 25.

She didn't react at all to any of the ways I tried to signal her. Didn't look in her mirror, wave, look backwards, give me the finger, yell, speed up, or anything. I flashed my brights twice, flashed them a whole buncha times, beeped my horn politely, beeped it a whole bunch, yelled out the window asking her to go the speed limit, held the horn down for fifteen seconds... absolutely nothing. I ended up being ten minutes late to class.

I'm thinking of buying a marine horn to mount under my car, and wiring it to go off when I push both horn buttons.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 12, 2013

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

A. Cross DY
or
B. Leave for class earlier

I'm usually ten minutes early :mad:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Mooseykins posted:

No opportunities to overtake?

None. It's all two-lane until I get to the major hub intersection a few towns over.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I didn't have any opportunities; it's either mostly curvy, or had people coming constantly, or is patrolled by overzealous cops from the rich suburb areas (recently incorporated into the ominously named CENTRAL MARIN POLICE AUTHORITY).

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Raluek posted:

Ah, it all makes sense now.

I guess it's an okay tradeoff for being able to drive out here anytime I like:

No More Crises by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Raluek posted:

That out by Stafford Lake? Looks kind of like out between the coast and Occidental, but that's Sonoma county.

It's the end of Sir Francis Drake Boulevard in Point Reyes, near the Bull Point trailhead.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

Are rear fogs really that vicious? Was thinking of hooking mine up.

They have two functions: keeping people from running into you in really dense fog, and being/blinding jerks. If you have need for one of the two, go right ahead!

(I was browsing a Swedish Volvo parts site to inspire mild envy, and one of the things they had available was an HID kit for the rear fog lights. I cannot imagine the kind of person who installs that.)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

SF drivin'

The most wonderful part of driving in San Francisco is the eensy-weensy little traffic lights on poles waaaaay over to the left and right of the roads where you can barely see them.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I guess the hazards are what people use when they don't have or don't know about their rear fog lasers :v:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Huge_Midget posted:

When did it ever become acceptable for people to use the center turn lane as a merge lane?

I missed a light the other day because someone in the oncoming lane decided that my left turn lane was a perfect lane to turn into the parking lot to my right. Just sat there with their blinker on, facing the wrong way over the double yellow line, waiting for a gap.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Ah, now that I've seen the interchange that makes more sense. That said, why don't they just take the road that goes under the bridge (with the two yields painted on the road) and not even bother with that intersection?

Edit: what the hell? So I guess it's because that's "buses only". They actually have a bus stop on the highway? That's loving bizarre.

Yep, there are Golden Gate Transit stops right off 101 the entire length it runs through Marin (and maybe Sonoma, I don't know). It's weird.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Last night I was coming home from Home Depot with my dad and a pair of buckets of really heavy roofing compound in the trunk. (and no, my dad was not in the trunk.) Some guy in a Subaru WRX (no STI), with no rear license plate (not even a dealer plate or paper thing in the window) evidently got mad that I took off from a light faster than he did, so he spent the next couple of miles weaving through the traffic in order to try to get in front of me. I eventually ended up (still in front) in the middle lane, and him behind me and to the left; he proceeds to race ahead of me through the goddamn ending lane, and barely scrape in front of me without hitting me or the median. I was too shocked to honk at him, unfortunately.

Why do people do this? I'm entirely sure his car was worth more than mine.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Dear ALL YOU FUCKERS,

WAIT UNTIL THERE IS SPACE FOR YOU TO LEAVE THE INTERSECTION BEFORE YOU EXIT. I had to wait TWO LIGHT CYCLES IN THE TURN LANE BECAUSE YOU FUCKERS WERE PILED TWO THICK IN ALL THREE THROUGH LANES AND THE RIGHT-HAND TURN LANE I'M TRYING TO TURN LEFT INTO.

Sincerely, gently caress

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

kastein posted:

The intersection at the end of the road my job is on is pretty bad, there's no light or traffic control of any kind (aside from a stop sign for the side road) and it pulls out onto a persistently jammed up 4 lane main street with lights every 200 feet. Putting someone in the drivers seat and getting them to take a left through traffic is a great test of whether they know how fast they can accelerate or have any balls at all.

Most people take the "inch forward out of the side street until they are blocking two lanes of oncoming traffic, then take a left when possible" approach. I'm not sure I can blame them.

I ended up gunning it back into the through lane when no cars were coming on my side and turning left a block further down, like I should have in the first place.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

some texas redneck posted:

I've actually been pulled over for 120 (mph) before (55 zone). :stonklol:

Escaped with a massive (and very well deserved) rear end chewing. Empty highway, broad daylight, running late to work... I still don't know why he didn't arrest me, but I'm glad he didn't (every other word out of his mouth was "gently caress" or "Andretti" though).

someone post the ticket a goon got for going 150 mph in his volvo 850

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

MrChips posted:

Dear Motorists,

It's snowing now, and that means your vehicle is likely covered in the stuff. That means it is time to CLEAN YOUR loving VEHICLE OFF, INCLUDING THE ROOF. That means you too, chucklefucks in minivans, SUVs and lifted pick-ups.

That is all.:tipshat:

we already had this discussion

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

watwat posted:

I think so. The obvious answer is to brake check the tailgater until he speeds by in rage.

no, the obvious answer is to drive a car with a remote trunk release and fill the trunk with popcorn, packing peanuts, bubble bath foam, or live birds beforehand

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Control Volume posted:

Has he ever pulled out the "I have X years of driving experience" card at all, that would hit every salty old driver note then.

This is my dad. He is not necessarily a safe driver, but he is a remarkably lucky one. No accidents in 25 years (unless you count the time he backed our enormous truck into the Corvette).

He also says that you shouldn't start signaling until you start your lane change. Not entirely coincidentally, he learned to drive in Los Angeles in the 1970s.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

sorry about bad photograph. click for more large

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I believe this is in the spirit of this thread.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

It took me three tries to pass my driving test in California. The first time, I was making a right turn on a red light, and someone in an Accord fastback from the 80s blew through the intersection at 60 mph after I started the turn. I braked, and the instructor yelled "STOP". Did you know that if the instructor has to "intervene", which includes telling you to do what you're already doing, you automatically fail? (Side note: taking the test in a 2nd generation CR-V when you're used to driving a Volvo 240 is a really lovely experience)

The second time was when someone started to back into the side of my car from on-street perpendicular parking. Swerving to go around them counted as a dangerous maneuver.

The third time I passed it, and the instructor told me that he had to take his test three times before he got his license on the fourth one, and now he runs the test. :v:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

If yours are aimed incorrectly however you have no excuse, that's generally easy to fix

unless they're installed in reflector housings

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

8ender posted:

I flashed a guy with no taillights last night and he actually turned them on. Then waved thanks as I passed him. That never happens.

Earlier this year, I was heading home on the main through road here (a 55 mph two lane road that runs out to the coast), at about 8:00 PM (after dark). I saw a car turn onto the road in front of me under a lone streetlight, and disappear because it had no taillights on.

I flashed my lights and honked a bit, and he still didn't turn them on. I assumed he was oblivious or an idiot, and then noticed that his headlights were on.

It wasn't until the speed limit changed to 35 and I got close that I figured out he was driving an old Camaro painted primer grey with no taillights, brake lights, or plates.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I'm okay with everyone on the roads as long as they travel at a speed between the speed limit and the speed limit +5-10.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I think you'd have to be going a bit faster to make a LIDAR system based on relativistic blueshift relevant

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Deedle posted:

He even argued that he expected my Twingo to stop slower than his much older Hyundai, for no aparent reason he had decided that a small car like mine doesn't come with ABS.

ABS makes you stop slower :confused:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

So on a totally related note, here's a great set of photos of early car crashes in and around Boston.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boston_public_library/sets/72157626646768526/

Based on what I'm seeing in these photos, I doubt you'd need to worry too much about an acetylene explosion if you were in a car wreck.

Truck crashes through garage several stories up East Cambridge by Boston Public Library, on Flickr

oh nooooooo

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

MikeyTsi posted:

Except you're not using it "over the internet"?

The application is launched and run on the host system you're connecting to, what's going over the pipe is the display information.

Have fun with trying to use something comfortably having all of your display information and input piped over the internet.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Fattig posted:

And how does that turn the wheels?

clutch in > crank > clutch out while cranking > vroom

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

xzzy posted:

Assuming it's just fog and not full on ice, a chamois sponge deals with this pretty well. Every single ACVW owner in history had some kind of towel or sponge in the car to deal with fogged up windows. You never, ever let anyone touch the glass with their hand because the oils would make it harder to clean off moisture.

try this, but as a passenger in a Volvo 960 with a non-repaired leaky heater core that covered the windshield in a thin film of glycol, and with newspapers instead of chamois

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I had an interesting experience the other day.

Left turns are allowed only from the left two lanes on the road that goes under the freeway and splits around the pillars.

The lane second from the left goes both left and straight.

You're warned quite a ways before you go into the split road which lanes go straight and which go left.

Of course, this doesn't stop someone with handicapped plates on a Grand Marquis in the third-to-left lane from turning left directly in front of me while I'm going straight through in the second-to-left lane. It made me glad I'd just installed new brake pads.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Chinatown posted:

FR-S with blue headlights = good indicator of being a shithead.

I had to brake check one after being tailgated going 75 in the #2 lane on the freeway this evening.

Did the brake check you had to do make him drop the gun he was aiming at you?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Crankit posted:

Maybe when they have vehicles merging from two lanes into one they should put speed boosters in the road surface so that more cars can go through the one lane section?

unfortunately, despite it being 2014, not all cars support turbo strips :smith:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

MikeyTsi posted:

Why do you want to punish him by making him drive a Mustang?

:confused:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

it's probably a byproduct of their driverless car stuff.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

InitialDave posted:

Ugh, I really should know better than to read the comments on news sites. The BBC ran an article having a moan about people parking on pavements, and here we have this gem:

This motherfucker should be beaten to within an inch of his life, and forced to pay for the respray (actually paying the whole lump sum, none of your £5-a-week-from-their-wages malarky). Then either banged up or put down. What a scumbag.

assuming they're talking about parking on sidewalks, what's your issue there? do you park on sidewalks?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Snowdens Secret posted:

That still doesn't justify anonymous property-damaging vigilantism.

I'm not saying it does (StopXAM is a much better solution) but the vigilantism doesn't justify being "beaten to within an inch of their life, and forced to pay for the respray, then either banged up or put down."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

DEAR RICHARD posted:

You share the road with me driving around in one of these:

Sorry guys. :(

turn in your card