Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I'm not a mechanic, so grain of salt and all that, but this "idiots with cars" thing goes both ways. There are plenty of guys working in shops that have no business touching vehicles. Stripped oil drain threads, hosed up wheel studs, etc. This is easy poo poo that routinely gets screwed up at shops.

The other thing I would disagree with is the "if you have a car, you should definitely at least do (or know about) X, Y and Z". Do you guys all routinely get dental cleanings every six months? Do you floss every day? Do you get 30 minutes of exercise each day? Do you contribute to your 401k? The point is, car maintenance for a lot of people is just white noise - and very likely there is something important in your life you tune out much the same way. (We all do this - I'm not perfect)

None of that is to take away from the extreme cases where people are trying to get stuff fixed for free by the shop. Those people are shitheads and deserve the angst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU