Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Jonny Nox posted:

I failed my first attempt before the instructor even got in the car. Signal light burned out.

Took three tries to get my license (Great State of Alabama).

Attempt #1 failed after I couldn't release the parking brake, because the release cable for the foot-activated pedal came apart. :v: Instructor just :rolleyes: and walked the 100 feet or so back to the DMV office.

Attempt #2 failed after trying to make a left at an T-intersection with a loving UPS truck blocking my line of sight to the right. Check to make sure it's all clear and just as I pull out, a pickup comes hauling rear end from the right and I panic stopped just in time. Failed :negative:

Attempt #3 goes off without a hitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Bumming Your Scene posted:

It's people following too close that eat up all the road gators and ladders lying across the lanes. Those are the main reason I don't follow so close.

True story.

Driving back in the dead of night from Miami to northern bumfuck Alabama along a rural four-lane road with very, very light traffic. So my sleep-deprived mind somehow thought it would be a good idea to hang back some 20 or 30-odd feet from an 18-wheeler up front. Said big rig straddles over what looks like a big-rear end patch of red dirt. "Oh, I'll just straddle my car ov*WHAM*"

Car gets knocked into neutral somehow. I keep coasting until I manage to get it back into drive and stop at the first gas station I see. Cue the next 15 minutes spent wondering 1)what the hell I just ran over, 2)is my car hosed and 3)who the gently caress's gonna give me a tow and a ride some 250 miles back home (protip: get roadside assistance). Local cop shows up wondering what the hell's going on, I explain what happened and he sets off down the road in the opposite direction and comes back minutes later.

Turns out I ran over a dead dog.

The only damage was a bent muffler, a torn-up air dam and the putrid smell of dead dog meat every time the catalytic converters got nice and warm for the next couple of weeks.

Lesson here is don't drive up another driver's rear end and don't drive when you're dead tired, no matter how much you try to will yourself into going a bit longer.

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jan 10, 2014

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

some texas redneck posted:

My car took an odd approach to the cluster (you know, in case sticking the cluster in the middle of the dash, instead of in front of the steering wheel, wasn't odd enough)...

The needles on the gauges are lit anytime the car is on. Bright as gently caress. But the backlighting stays off until the parking lights come on - and the needles dim significantly at the same time.

I don't quite get why the needles are always lit - the cluster is perfectly readable without them lighting up during the day. Sure can't read the numbers at night without the lights on, at least*

(* mine is optioned with automatic headlights, but most aren't)

I remember the Lexus Optitron gauges. Beautiful to look at, but drat if you knew whether the lights were on or not unless you looked at the rest of the backlighting or double checked the light stalk to make sure.

Next best solution: just leaving the automatic headlight feature on.

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 13, 2014

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Fucknag posted:

From my Facebook feed (this is in NYC):

Just take a taxi if you're that hard up for parking, poo poo.

And no one says poo poo about the Sierra in the background because that's a truck and ground clearance and poo poo.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

GOT A EXTRA TITTY posted:

Most people don't realize there are other human beings in the vehicles around them, nor do they understand the implications of shining bright lights into others' eyes.

I've had countless drivers pull up alongside with those bright-rear end high beams in just the right spot where it bounces off the driver-side mirror and straight into my eyes.

My passive-aggressive solution to this? Readjust the mirror outward until the beam bounces right back at them. Most people get the message and either back off, blow past or just switch off the high beams.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

LloydDobler posted:

I just don't get what's so god drat amazing on people's phones that they just have to be staring at it all the time.

Many people would rather be doing anything other than driving, which makes me yearn for the day when automated cars take over. It'll finally transform car interiors into what most people want all along - glorified parlor rooms in which they can read Facebook or play Candy Crush until they "magically" arrive at their destination or tumble horrifically down a steep cliff due to an error in Google Car traffic pattern algorithms.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

MrYenko posted:

In a perfect world, every time three lanes has to merge down to two, or two to one, there would be three warning signs. At the first one would be a giant flailing arm inflatable tube man, to draw attention. At the second one would be a thirty foot tall grim reaper, holding the "Right Lane Closes, Merge left" sign in his bony hands, out over the lanes.

At the final, scrolling-lamp erectable traffic sign would be a tractor trailer fitted with a GAU-8 Avenger from an A-10 Warthog and a single man manning said gun. Any car that he witnesses diving right, because the line is shorter, gets peppered with a burst of 30 mm HEI rounds.

RPGs are wasteful. Besides, the sight of a huge gently caress-off gun alone should serve as an effective deterrent and a powerful diarrhoeic for wrongdoers.

EDIT: Read about zipper theory. Let's use the GAU on left lane loafers and road-raging shitbirds, instead.

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 15, 2014

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Ansith posted:

Had someone refuse to let me merge onto the highway today, to make it worse it was pouring rain which is never great in my XC.

Coming down the on ramp, I was a couple of meters ahead (the front of their car was in line with the rear bumper of mine) of the person on the highway, going the same speed as them. Even if it wasn't raining braking would have been stupid, so I floor it to get ahead of them. They didn't like that and decide to match my speed to block me from merging. At this point I was running out of space between me and the concrete side wall so either I speed up again and make a sharp turn to get in front of them or slam on the brakes. I had a feeling I'd end up dying if I tried to make a sharp turn at speed in the rain, so I slammed on the brakes.

I can't remember the last time anyone tried pulling this poo poo on me. I'd just merge in anyway and let the paint chips fall where they may.

It also helps to drive a car that looks like it came straight out of the Thunderdome. People usually give you a wide berth regardless.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

The above shows a two-lane road with a center turning lane that fans out into six lanes at the intersection and shrinks back to two lanes and a center turning lane again.

The red and blue lines? Traffic in the red lane goes straight. Drivers in the blue lane think they can go straight until they're confronted with the dedicated right turn, at which point they either dive back into the red lane (to the consternation of people already in the red lane) or slow down and crawl along until they can get back in the proper lane.

Some people use the blue lane to blast past the long line of traffic that inevitably builds up during rush hour. Sometimes you get to see a drag race between two assholes who don't want to cede their place in traffic.

It's late at night, traffic is low and the lights for this particular road are timed short in favor of the massive eight-laned monstrosity in the photo. I'm sitting at the light all by my lonesome until I get the green, only to see a pair of headlights about two hundred feet behind me in the rear-view mirror and closing fast. Apparently some tool in a Camry figures he can not only beat the yellow, but also yours truly.

I make it across the intersection only to get cut off by this asshat (a few feet away from the gas pump canopy in the pic) who then proceeds to book it down the road at 60-65 mph (legal speed limit? 35), only to spend the next mile or so parked on the bumper of an old pickup until said asshat turns off on another street. :wtc:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

SocketSeven posted:

I am angry. ANGRY ABOUT MERGING. :argh:

Not that zipper merging's catching on with the general driving public:

quote:

Despite its 10-year presence on state roads, more than 60 percent of the people who participate in online forums sponsored by the agency to talk about transportation issues said they were unaware the zipper merge is an acceptable driving technique that is included in the latest edition of the Minnesota Driver’s Manual.

http://www.startribune.com/local/205160741.html

Because the number of people who've actually read the latest driver's manual can be counted on one hand.

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 10:08 on May 25, 2014

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

SyHopeful posted:

454SS was wayyyy post-malaise, as well as the Syclone, both generations of SVT Lightnings, SVT Raptor, and the SRT-10 Ram. Not really agreeing with the random guy who said trucks are the new musclecars, but you seem to have forgotten some good and recent examples of sport trucks.

Today's quad-cab truck is more or less a stand-in for the body-on-frame full size sedans of old. I see shades of Ford LTD every time I see a F-150 in Lariat trim.

Jersey barriers. Lots of them.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Pretty Boy Floyd posted:

http://ask.metafilter.com/263242/Accidentally-drove-20000-miles-without-changing-the-oil-Now-what

I laughed, I cried, I realized that most people these days need a loving oil gauge on their dash to make sure they don't burn their engines down to the bottom of the crank case.

Most people treat their cars the same way they treat their appliances: they just use them until they break in some catastrophic way, then they either fix them and go for Round 2 or dump them for another one. Preventative maintenance? What's that? :downs:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

blk posted:

I was driving home yesterday behind a new Malibu and the driver flicked his cigarette out the window. I stopped and picked up the butt, then caught up with him (long, straight street with no turn offs) and followed the remaining 1/2 mile until he stopped at a long light. I got out and knocked on his window, which he rolled down, and told him "Don't do it again," before flicking his own butt in his face. He was too shocked to say anything; nobody else was around so I turned around behind him and went home.

a) I guess I'm a cool cigarette-flicking AI guy now

b) One of these days I will be killed by someone with a gun in their car

c) I know not all smokers litter like assholes, but far too many do.

In a Stand Your Ground state, b) would most definitely apply.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Anything ever come of this, aside from the Camry driver getting his plate # blasted all over Jalopnik and the rest of the web?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Sagebrush posted:

loving Ontario

It's the Virginia of Canadian provinces.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

BraveUlysses posted:

My main grind is that cars should have two options: when you leave your headlights on and turn off the car, the lights turn off and no buzzer sounds (like subaru does) and then you never have to turn them on or off again.

Other option: headlights turn on with every start and you can select to turn them off if you want, but they always turn on when you start the car.

I have the opposite problem - turning on the headlights turns all of the dashboard lighting OFF. Unless I give the dash a good whack, which brings everything back on. Such are the joys of owning a shitbox.

At least GM simplified the process by having a giant pushbutton on the dash that turns the headlights and a smaller button that turns on the parking lights.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

jaegerx posted:

I just don't understand this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqP3Bk_cX-4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnJk-ijEVwU

How do you gently caress up this badly?

If she was an animal, natural selection would have already taken its course.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Geirskogul posted:

With bedbugs you take no chances, and hold no prisoners.

Explains why I don't buy used furniture.

Mexican plates.

Folks in third world developing countries really don't give a gently caress about overloading trucks. As long as it can move under it's own power and everything fits, it's all good. Makes for some hilarious (read: horrifying) accidents, though.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

quote:

I like to drive in the lane that gives me the most distance between me and the vehicles ahead of me. That's for my SAFETY. But if that's the passing lane, then I do go fast enough to justify being there. I'm more likely to pass than be passed, anyway. 

:stonklol:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

The Locator posted:

I can't believe that dude actually ran into that kid multiple times. Glad to see him get plopped into the police car at the end. That would certainly be assault with a deadly weapon at the least if it happened here.

What I'm wondering is why hasn't the government smartened up and put bollards in the middle of those sidewalks. Getting your car hosed beyond belief by one of these is the best behavioral modification tool money can buy.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Crotch Fruit posted:

The number one reason I want autonomous cars is to put an end to left lane hogs. . . But I think there is an alternate solution, we just need to install a device that delivers a shock to the steering wheel every time you are in the left lane. Start out with a small "pay attention" shock and increases over time to near fatal levels.

It's either that or a wholesale reform of driver testing/licensing that preludes getting your driver's license out of a cereal box. Guess which option's on the table?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Nightflame posted:

first roadrager i've had ... (only been licensed afew years)

sits up my car's rear end for about 5 minutes while traffics flowing, then cuts me off in thick traffic, barely missing the front of my car.

then moves into the breakdown lane and gets alongside me.

and starts whacking my car with a cricket bat... while driving at about 70km's an hour... on a busy freeway in just after 5pm traffic.

I remember a road rager thought I'd cut him off in a parking lot, then preceded to block me in after I parked and tried to open my car door (which was fortunately locked). So I started reaching under the seat and rifling through the glovebox (to grab a knife I usually kept in the car). The guy quickly figured I was reaching a gun and promptly hosed off.

My temperament is a bit too volatile for me to go carrying a gun around, so I don't own one, which was good for that guy, I guess.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

krnhotwings posted:

Today, I was in the inner lane of a double protected left turn, and as I was going, this lady in the other lane was cutting into my lane at the start of the turn. By the middle of the turn, half of her car was in my lane. I was honking at her the whole turn, and she was just completely oblivious. I was watching her and she made no indication that she even realized that I was honking at her. It's amazing how often this occurs. Whenever I walk home from work, I watch cars making left turns at various double protected turns, and almost always the cars cut over the white line. Is it that loving hard to follow a painted white line on the road?

Laying on the horn for a full 15 seconds straight should earn you a pair of taser prongs to your forehead and a 50,000-volt jolt to wake you up from being a complete rear end in a top hat.

That's right, I'm talking to you Mr. Black Lexus GX570 with Gwinnett County plates. I don't remember your plate number, but I'll always cherish how much of a stupid sonofabitch you were.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Pixelated Dragon posted:

My husband is an rear end in a top hat you share the road with.

The only way your hubby will cut that poo poo out is if he gets the poo poo knocked out of him by a fellow road-rager.

Or gets shot.

But seriously, tell him to cut that poo poo out.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

InterceptorV8 posted:

http://bcove.me/8lpie1ov

Everybody shooting at everybody.

I wouldn't shed a tear if the shooter had somehow gotten himself wedged in between the drive axles of that guy's truck.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Mooseykins posted:

The gently caress? The dude obviously knew what what coming to him too, looking around. Would've been better to just pull over and let the idiot pass and gently caress off into the distance.

Still no excuse to use your car as a battering ram because some prick biker had words. There's gotta be criminal charges behind that poo poo.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

I'll just leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHTUMGx-NUE

@ 2:07

:stonkhat:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

antisodachrist posted:

These are the roads you share a car with.

http://imgur.com/a/Adw1e

And that's why I dare not drive over the damned things.

That, and they wreak havoc on my tires and suspension.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Watched an rear end in a top hat in a brand-new Suburban nearly lose it cutting across a lane of traffic just to get to an exit at the last moment, then ride the shoulder to pass the car he nearly hit, bringing him close to the concrete barrier on his right.

When it happened, all I thought was how he nearly came close to loving up my dinner plans by almost getting into an accident.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Safety Dance posted:

I was at O'reilly the other day, getting lug nuts for the Jeep. It's busy, I stood in line for a few minutes before someone could help me. The phone rang, and the lady who was helping me answered it.

"O'reilly? Uh huh? You wanna talk to one of the guys? Okay, lemme put you on hold." Then she says to the other lady, "He wants to know what kind of oil to get, and he only wants to talk to one of the guys. Like they're gonna pick up, 'Uh hello?'"

For christ's sake people, it's 2015, the dude who works at the auto parts store is going to look up your car in the same computer system as the lady.

I assume he got put on hold forever.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

dennyk posted:

I was the only one who actually read the weather forecast before Atlanta's "Snowpocalypse" a couple years ago and decided to work from home. Everyone else in the office drove to work, bailed at noon along with the rest of the city, and spent the next eight to thirty-six hours sitting in traffic. :v:

I read the forecast, but figured "bullshit, it's the south, things couldn't get THAT bad." I should have known better, having lived through the 1993 "Storm of the Century" and all.

And that's how I wound up spending the next 6 hours in traffic. :suicide:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

PT6A posted:

Do you not have a horn? People in front of me get a 2-second grace period from the light turning green to when their brake lights go off, or they get notified by way of my horn that they are holding up traffic, until such time as they move their asses.

Considering the recent spate of road rage shootouts, I don't bother with the horn. If at all possible, I simply maneuver around the person and go about my merry way. Leave the idiots to be dealt with by other idiots.

By the way, don't be the guy (or in this case, gal) who decides to cruise alongside a school bus at about 5 under the limit in the passing lane. Which meant that she had to stop whenever the bus stop. Which meant traffic jamming the gently caress up for a good 1/4-mile, since no one could get past her or the bus. And don't get incensed when someone finally gets fed up with the poo poo and gives you a light horn tap so you can wake the gently caress up, pass the loving bus and let everyone else through.

God really does look after fools and drunks, doesn't he?

Darwin would have had that oval office's head for an ornament.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

xzzy posted:

My solution is to crank the handbrake in the middle of the intersection, and as my car spins around swing my hand cannon out the window and pop six rounds into the rear end in a top hat's radiator.

Tailgate that, motherfucker.

I dare anyone to tailgate this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHHj8IavEjk

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

kastein posted:

After half a mile of their tomfoolery I flicked the high beams to wake them up and they responded by brake checking me and intentionally preventing me from passing (flooring it every time I got an opportunity to pass on the right, then braking and matching speed with the people in the other two lanes when I got back behind them) for several miles.

I don't even bother. If there's an empty lane available, I'll take it and blitz past the offending rear end in a top hat. If not, I'll hang back and wait until there's an opportunity to blitz pass said rear end in a top hat.

Flashing the lights only lets them know it's GAME ON. Blowing past them and cutting back into the passing lane at 10-15+ usually wakes them right up without giving them an opportunity to gently caress with you.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Cakefool posted:

Does the idea of treating the substance abuse not occur to you at any point?

That's a namby-pamby soft-headed liberal decision that does nothing to satiate the average American's lust for punitive justice. Better to just jail them for the next decade or so while doing nothing to treat the drunk-driving problem at its source.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Everyone should learn how to drive in a 60s-era pickup with a sloppy three-on-the-tree, a straight-six and no power steering. That'll put some hair on your chest.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Philip J Fry posted:

Trying to park at the train station for gameday...thanks, douchebag.

My fantasy involves an aluminum racing jack, four tire dollies and a couple of friends to relocate this rear end in a top hat-toting conveyance into the middle of the street.

In reality, I would have found out who handles the parking enforcement and let them know what was up.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

EightBit posted:

Passing on the right is illegal in many jurisdictions, as is cruising in the left lane and not getting over when you are slowing down other traffic.

But goons are going to be weird and recommend doing the illegal and usually more dangerous thing.

Which one is more dangerous - undertaking an inattentive idiot or getting said idiot upset to the point of road-rageyness by flashing your high beams at him/her?

KozmoNaut posted:

Around here, not keeping right is a ~$150 fine, while passing on the right is a ~$300 fine and a mark on your license (if you get 3 marks within 3 years, you'll have to retake it, to the tune of ~$750).

So yeah, stop loving around in the left lane if you're not actively passing anyone.

Sounds like your local jurisdiction has its priorities hosed up. It should be the other way around.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

KozmoNaut posted:

Nah, because by just cruising in the left lane, you're passively (or passive-aggressively) being an rear end in a top hat. By passing on the right, you are actively doing something that is considered dangerous.

Moving out of the left lane solves the latter, in most cases. I stand by my assertion. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

MrLonghair posted:

And now I remember that Euro-style plates are growing in popularity in China. And the sky isn't blue in the video!

I bet it's Taiwan.