Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Devyl posted:

With LED lighting making great progress in the automotive industry, why can't we have constant-on lights all the time? You can't really say "well the bulbs would burn out faster" because LED lights last dramatically longer than other types of bulbs. I hate people that drive at dusk/dawn/night-time with only DRLs on almost as much as I hate people who refuse to turn their lights on when it's raining. With always-on lights you'd kill two very dangerous birds with one stone.

While the LEDs themselves have a really long lifespan, the boards that they are connected to don't. I've seen tons of stop lights and cars with partial or total failures of the entire driver board. The problem is always lighted gauge clusters. When people can see their gauges at night they assume the lights are on. I'll bet if you asked the people driving around at night with their lights off most of them would tell you they thought their car had automatic lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Not to mention the engine, shifting below 3k in my 83 Honda would have people on bikes passing you. Not that it had a tachometer or anything. Hell if it decided to vapor lock you had to keep it above at least 3k or the drat thing would die!

Hugh G. Rectum fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Dec 12, 2013

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Yeah 14.4V at low amps in water isn't going to do crap to you. Haven't you ever done electroplating with a battery charger before?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

What you should do is space two immovable poles far apart and string a boxing ring style elastic rope between them. Bonus points for wiring up a tension sensor to a bunch of lights and ringers like a pinball machine.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

These are the (virtual) people you share a road with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtSDYugGwVs

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

some texas redneck posted:

So I'm taking an online defensive driving class. They state you should signal lane changes and turns "one full city block before your turn".

That uh.... that seems excessive. :stare:

I saw a guy sitting in the left turn lane with his right blinker on, confused the hell out of me. When it went green, he did go left but then at the next block went right. Maybe he took that class.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

DRLs and always lit gauge clusters are a complete fuckup from a user interface standpoint, but other than that they are a good thing.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

This wouldn't surprise me. Based how loud the sound of the relay clicking on and off is, the defroster must have massive draw on all the Subaru wagons I've ever owned.

Not exactly a scientific rationale, but hey. Must be like running a toaster.

I think Subaru just uses really loud relays, I can hear almost every single one in mine. Brake lights, windshield wipers, defroster, headlights, and washer all have an audible relay clicking noise. The wiper one is almost as loud as the turn signal clicker and it goes on/off all the time if you set it to intermittent.

Opensourcepirate posted:

I like the idea of a big brush you can drive under at every weigh station.

The truck stops could use it as a selling point, free trailer brush with fillup. Maybe weigh stations if you could convince a state legislature that it was a safety issue.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Had a wonderful moment yesterday. Traffic had backed up bad enough that I couldn't go through an intersection as the light went to yellow because I would have been stuck in the middle. The guy behind me was turning left and decided to just jump into the opposing lane and go left anyways, without signaling as the light turned red. Too bad he didn't notice the police car that was right behind him who immediately lit him up. It was beautiful.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

krnhotwings posted:

Speaking of bright lights, I hate driving behind this kind of Prius at night:

Those brake lights are so god damned bright that all I see is a wall of red light in front of me if the driver hits the brakes.

Cadillacs with LED tails are extremely bright as well. The PWM is annoying too, gives them all a strobing effect like a CRT.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Negromancer posted:

You are both right, but back when I would do stupid things when I saw those signs it was before they had made them flash **SLOW**. I am pretty sure it is because of people like me using them as a score board that they made that change.

I'd also go with idiot drivers that take the number to mean the speed limit, not their current speed. These are the people you share the road with.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

tolerabletariff posted:

I'm shocked and appalled.

I was driving around downtown Philly last night when I came up behind a car at a stop sign at the end of a one-way side-street about as wide as an alleyway. The car was running but the driver-side door was wide open and no one was inside. No way around it and no way to back out of the situation since a truck had just started down the opposite end of the street. So I just sat there for 2-3 minutes until a very-confused mid-20s male wandered back into his car and drove off. poo poo was unseemly, man. What do you do if he doesn't come back? Call the cops for a tow? What the gently caress was he thinking?

Maryland tags, go figure.

Get in the car and move it for him, duh.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

It still astounds me how ridiculously sturdy trees can be in the face of a moving car.

Don't gently caress with trees.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

It's also an automatic transmission thing, I find it's much harder to maintain a single speed with an auto since the line between accelerating and doing nothing is so narrow. In a manual it's really easy to find the point in pedal travel where you are maintaining speed since when you let off you immediately start engine braking.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Even when there isn't snow people don't understand how useless spinning wheels are. There's a driveway across the street from me that slopes downward really steeply, it often floods their garage during rainstorms. One day I'm sitting inside and I hear the sound of a one wheel peel, and it's just not stopping. Nearly 15 minutes of this screeching goes on and I finally venture across the street to see what the deal is. Some poor guy had tried to use that driveway to turn around in his 2WD ranger. Since he went in headfirst every time he tried to reverse what little weight was over his rear wheels disappeared and he went nowhere. I had to slowly coach the guy into holding the brake on while giving it gas then slowly letting the brake off so the weight wouldn't shift and he didn't lose traction.

I only had my learners permit at the time. They are all around us.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

sleepy.eyes posted:

Yeah, there are definitely terrible stop signs, but people do this whether they can see or not. And they roll so far they block the other lanes, which is a ton of fun as a pedestrian too.

Or they can be like my first accident where I stopped at the line, then creeped forward to look since you can't see traffic from the line. The lady behind me thought I was going and just slammed into the back of me.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

atomicthumbs posted:

did she have anything to say for herself

She was actually really apologetic.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

DEAR RICHARD posted:

A motorized wheelchair is faster than a Smart car anyways

Well, some of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy5rkw4SeP4

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

The problem with doing that is you've now just increased the time that rear end in a top hat is parked poorly since they now have to wait for AAA. It's lose lose.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Horse Divorce posted:

I was going 65, speed limit for that stretch of road. I was on the left to let traffic in from the on ramp I had just passed.

Exactly, too slow. That was a fine pass for a bike, relax.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

If I didn't undertake in CA I would never get anywhere over 50mph.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

Yes, my reaction was pretty much "uh, I'm pretty sure many Russian drivers regularly travel with Kalashnikovs in their cars, it's only a matter of ti....ah, there we go." :stare:

Except the guy with the AK in this one is on their side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1jGNd4Deys

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Some dumb fucks did that right in the middle lane of the Bay Bridge heading eastbound (lower deck) right after the 1st St. entrance and caused an enormous backup over a minor fender bender during rush hour. As I was driving by a CHP officer on a bike rode up and started yelling at them so loudly to get the gently caress out of the road I could hear him with my windows up.

God bless you CHP bike cop :allears:

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Raluek posted:

Most older cars are that way. Both of my Chevys are. Makes for some fun when I visit Oregon.

Isn't that kind of a big fire hazard if the car gets rear-ended?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

`Nemesis posted:

I hope he was drunk because that's the only way I can understand this poo poo

Description says 17 years old and bought the truck 30 minutes prior. Beautiful.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

It's a Jeep Thing™

http://i.imgur.com/j6jIy6B.gifv

linked since nobody wants the 54mb gif version

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Most cars cut off the A/C compressor if you just floor it. I know my '98 Corolla did and it's not like you have to be afraid to go WOT in something like that.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

StormDrain posted:

It was mostly people without lights that were drawing my ire this week.

Always a silver car too.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Speaking of Bay Area drivers, it's been raining a shitload here the past few days and the number of cars I've seen driving with no lights on even after sunset is astounding. I counted 12 yesterday, 9 of them silver of course. I want to bitch slap whatever dipshit engineer/designer that thought making cars with always-lit dashboards and no automatic headlights was okay.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Waze is worse than useless in SF during rush hour. It averages the speeds of entire 4-5 lane one way streets so even though the freeway entrance you're trying to use is completely stopped for three blocks it thinks traffic is still moving due to the other free lanes and routes you through it. I learned that one the hard way.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

The friend borrowed the car to drive the girls to a park, but stopped to buy a tv at walmart along the way? :psyduck: "Hey, btw im going to make a quick pitstop so i can buy a tv"

They also left the car running while going inside to buy a TV? Since you know, that only takes a couple seconds right.

Nothing about that story makes any sense.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Killstick posted:

These are the people who get hit by trains: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jcFOp-6f70&t=410s

I binge watched all these last year, it's incredible. There really needs to be a US version.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

jamal posted:

What in the gently caress. Twice now in the last few weeks I have had someone try to pass me on the left, as I'm turning left into my driveway. I just had to make sure my signal wasn't broken. And no, a turn signal doesn't mean go ahead and pass me on that side.

I was with a friend in a not-so-nice neighborhood and witnessed a guy do this to someone turning left at a stop sign. The victim then opened his door and started reaching into the glovebox but the rear end in a top hat drove off before he could get what he was looking for. You never know what other people are capable of over petty poo poo.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Vitamin J posted:

Mountains + automatic transmission. These people are the bane of my existence.

gently caress these people forever. Zero awareness. 55mph uphill and 90mph downhill all day every day.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Is it bad to laugh?

http://i.imgur.com/iYkfVGz.gifv

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Saw some beat to poo poo Corolla today with a tire out of balance/worn shock so bad their left rear tire was bouncing up and down like a basketball. It was leaving the pavement a good 2-3". Guy is just cruising in the left lane doing 80mph without a care in the world. Wanted to take a video but I was driving. How the hell do people ignore poo poo like that? In a tiny car like that it must have felt like hell in the car, not just the noise.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Long Francesco posted:

And if you aren't holding anyone up then what the hell is the problem? I really don't get all the anger about this it's ridiculous.

Because it's a bad habit and someone might come up on you before you notice. It's like using your turn signals when there isn't anyone else around. Yeah it doesn't really matter but but there might be someone you didn't see one time.

Hugh G. Rectum fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 10, 2016

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Hell no don't stop at the gas station. That's putting your life and your car at the mercy of a garbage CCTV system and the kindness of strangers. He made the right call.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

He was shifted over so cars in his direction could pass by while he waited to turn left. You had plenty of room, his only mistake was forgetting his turn signal. Chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Powershift posted:

The guy is literally hitler for not having his signal light on, but that's not worth steering towards him standing on your horn. That's the most pathetic attitude.
Pretty much this. Get over yourself, there was no need to act like a cop with anger issues.