Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011
I did a dumb thing during a snowstorm, which had already left about 10" of snow on the ground, when I was around 17 years old. A new set of stores was built on a lot that was previously empty, and I thought it was a great idea to tool around in my Dad's A6 (with winter tires) to impress a friend of mine. I was doing doughnuts and driving like a madman. It turns out that they had built medians in the parking lot where there weren't any before and I drove over one, which left the two front tires off the ground.

I thought that Audi AWD was essentially invincible, so I figured it wouldn't be a problem. It turned out that I was completely wrong, but I managed to lift and push the car backwards enough for it to finally get some traction. Luckily for me there was no damage to the bumper or floorpan. After that I learned that I was a jackass and drove much more responsibly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Lightbulb Out posted:

Don't forget about the people who won't pull into an intersection when turning left.

I am that guy. I will not drive into an intersection without being able to leave it legally. There are stop lines for a reason. Not only will I put myself at risk by driving into a busy intersection, I will put other drivers behind me in danger because they will not be able to see beyond my car. So honk at me all you want - I will not be an accessory to a potentially fatal T bone crash that kills my passenger.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

I don't think so. It's essentially the same as two ships running parallel with each other. The bow shock of both vehicles reverberates down the space between them and causes a low-pressure zone, pulling them together. Alternately, think of it as flow through a pipe, with the two vehicles forming the walls of the pipe. It's much stronger with ships because of the different properties of air/water. Not 100% positive, though.

You're on the right path here and you're correct enough for this conversation. However, cars do not and will never create bow shocks. A bow shock is a well-defined phenomena in Fluid Mechanics, which cars will not experience until they start moving at transonic speeds ~ 340 m/s.

Bernoulli's principle is what makes cars veer. When cars move close together, the air between them moves a bit faster, which makes the pressure decrease, causing them to move closer together. This would be mch more pronounced between two semi's compared to a semi and a car, but it still happens.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

davebo posted:

It's hard to tell from that gif but did that beetle somehow manage to be the only car to just scoot over and land on all fours? That's pretty respectable.

It was one of the last two cars to get hit, so it had much less energy imparted to it. The front tires are pointed away from the impact, which probably helped as well.