Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
There's always the train, one of the things a funeral procession generally does have to yield to (unless you're Gary). Or alternatively, combine them to get a daily cemetery train?

I can't remember ever coming across one, personally, but I live in a fairly unpopulated area. Also means my wildest dashcam clips are merely-questionable overtakes and lane changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

DEAR RICHARD posted:

blurry because they started the car up, but I was on the right side so they couldn't see me

Was the driver alone in the car?

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

carry on then posted:

i drive a hyundai, op

note that the radio buttons on the left are an optional extra that i do not have

nonetheless, they still manage to have the correct cruise control configuration(tm)

Does your Hyundai bother to display the chosen cruise control speed anywhere? It irritates me that in my father's reasonably-new Tucson there's no way to see what it's set to, made worse because I don't drive it much and always forget the speed step size. Maybe it's more common than I realise, I haven't driven that many new cars.

The car has plenty of stupid screens, it's just mildly inconvenient for no obvious reason. I always feel like I end up out of sync with the rest of the traffic when I use it. Sorry, everyone who shares a road with me!

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Drove home from the airport earlier this NYE (nearly here in my timezone!) and the journey was much calmer than normal - everyone indicating to overtake and sitting in the appropriate lanes otherwise, nobody going too fast or too slow, and barely any freight trucks to get stuck behind on the one-lane sections. Bliss! I can't remember the last time I drove any significant distance on Dec 31, I thought it'd be much worse.

And obviously the solution to the indicator problem is to have the steering wheel trigger them immediately when turned. To allow other drivers time to react, add a three-second lag time before it has an effect on the steering system. This would also give indecisive drivers a chance to change their mind, and needing to see three seconds of road ahead would improve driving behaviour in poor visibility conditions. There's literally no downside!

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Second view on the impaled ute

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Low on action, but I can't remember the last time I saw somebody just run out of gas mid-journey (he's carrying a jerry can thing). Not the worst place to stop - if he was going the other way he could have coasted to the nearest station!

(full size)

(edit: trying to make it smaller)

uvar fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 3, 2017

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Fo3 posted:

Coming home, about 1-2 km from our turn off down the 80km/hr major rd, they come up to the last set of lights. Decide to take the right lane (fast lane here).

Unless there's some exception here (or your state is different?) they're entitled to drive in the right lane if they want because legally it's specifically not a fast lane, and from your description I feel like merging later at speed into faster traffic to reach the turnoff would be a more terrifying scenario. (But then I say that from regional Aus, where I don't have to deal with heavy traffic every day.)

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Following a driver with out-of-state numberplate this morning, about to pass a small T junction - both roads have one lane of traffic each way, and there are tiny... I don't know the proper term? Shortcuts on both sides of the T for people turning who don't have to cross traffic.

They'd already been doing maybe 2/3rds of the speed limit so something was suspicious. The driver indicates and drifts calmly into the incoming lane, maybe thinking it's a turning lane, then swerves back when they realise. Having gone just past the junction at this point, they come to a stop anyway, indicate, wait for a clear spot and take a sharp turn into the shortcut meant for traffic coming the other way, just managing to squeeze around in one go.

Even for "rush hour" here it was hardly an inconvenience, but at least it was more creative than the typical bad driver who is tolerable unless you want to get past them. I wish I'd fixed my dash cam though.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
There's a new law introduced in one the aus states that vehicles have to slow to 40km/h when passing a parked emergency vehicle with flashing lights, ie police pulling someone over on a 110km/h highway. There's a bunch of truck drivers getting furious online about it because of those drat unpredictable normie drivers who will slow down too quickly and force the driver to rear-end them, or that they'll come round a blind curve and not have enough time once they spot the lights.

(it's not a perfect solution but it's worked fine in other states and relying on common sense doesn't stop people plowing into extremely visible emergency vehicles and employees at full speed)

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

What do they think it's for? :psyduck:

It stops the fuzzy dice getting tangled.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Glass half full: There's proven potential for in a drive-through.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

We do lines on the road for the most part and also add in an extra lane every now and then for overtaking. Each of the sections of road that had the correct markings where either super short or there where cars coming the other way meaning I couldn’t overtake.

Uh no, based on my observations the extra lane are drag strips, where everyone accelerates as fast as possible before merging back at the end in virtually the same order and returning to 30km/h under the limit :argh:

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEM1tex4PNM

Wait, how do you embed videos and skip to a time? The first 25 seconds or so are pointless

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Colostomy Bag posted:

There was a car/concept from probably 50-60+ years ago that could do this and I can't think of what to google it.

It doesn't work exactly as quoted, but http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/TRANSPORT/nwheelcar/nwheelcar.htm#5 has something like it ("SIDEWAYS PARKING IN 1938-1952")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki9otMeiRP0

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
The damage on it is hidden in your photo, but having the vertical posts form bumps on the horizontal bar is great, it's like it's designed to spite anyone lazy enough to bumper-car their way around the turn

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Saukkis posted:

You don't really appreciate a roundabout until one is taken away. There was always a roundabout on the intersection when leaving work, but currently it's under construction for a tram line and has been converted to a standard intersection. The main street has enough of a traffic to make it a grieve to find a spot to charge through. On a roundabout I only had to worry about the cars coming from the left, and even during high traffic there would soon be someone turning towards my street to create a suitable gap. A large enough and well designed roundabout is more like a tricky merge lane than an intersection.

The alternative isn't great either (freight line here, not tram)

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
The first foggy day here for a while and there are so many people driving around with no lights. I tried to signal the first few people I saw but nobody cared. I'm glad to have learned about the always-illuminated-dashboard reasoning because even a terrible excuse is better than ten percent of nearby drivers being that unaware.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Yesterday we had the first heavy rain for a while after some lovely spring weather but only a few drivers seemed to notice it, tailgating and risky merges at the speed limit with their lights off just like a regular commute. There were a few spots with hastily-erected roadwork-style speed limits slowing gradually down from ~65 mph to ~25 that again most people ignored because they couldn't see any actual roadwork; the petty part of me hopes some of them damaged their cars on the massive new potholes the signs were warning about.

MomJeans420 posted:

You haven't explained why I should follow traffic laws. Do you think legality and morality are the same thing? If I was gay and lived in Texas should I have avoided having sex in the early 2000s?

That is a really dumb comparison and nobody here is obligated to explain why you should obey traffic laws. Sounds like you have a bit of a lead foot though, have you tried not accelerating when approaching a long red light?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

sleepy.eyes posted:

My county, city, or whoever the gently caress is in charge of that poo poo, must be running out of money. Had a small tractor (like, riding mower small) with a leaf blower ratchet strapped to the back on what I assume was street sweeper duty.

Maybe it was hooked up as a turbo so he could keep pace with speeding traffic