Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KillHour posted:

I was helping my friend fix his girlfriend's sister's beater of a 90's E-Class Merc. After cutting the rat's nest of random wires leading to the improperly-installed aftermarket stereo (she was wondering why the battery would drain when the car was off :v:), I checked to make sure the car still started. The oil pressure gauge was pegged on max, so I assumed the gauge was broken. When I mentioned it to her, the response conversation went pretty much like this:

:) Hey, I fixed the dead battery issue. You don't have a stereo any more.
:j: That's fine
:) By the way, I think your oil pressure gauge is broken.
:j: No, it's probably right....
:crossarms: Wait... what? When's the last time you changed the oil?
:j: Uh... never, I guess.
:stare: And... how long have you had the car?
:j: 3 years?
:gonk:

It wasnt the stereo, it was the car screaming "KIILLLL MEEEEEEEEE"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Drunken Lullabies posted:

I know what regenerative braking is, I should have gone into a bit more detail. Most of these people will, say, be doing 40 in a 35, slam their brakes until they're doing 20-25, and then slowly accelerate back up to 40, repeat.

Regenerative braking is not as efficient as not slowing down in the first place. The best thing you can do in a hybrid or an electric is to set the cruise control.

The people you're describing are just loving braindead, don't pay one iota of attention to driving the car, and shouldn't have drivers licenses; it has nothing to do with their vehicle choice. I like when they can't get up an overpass hill within fifteen miles an hour of their baseline cruise speed, so I go around them, and then they honk, flash their highbeams, etc, when they accelerate on the downslope, twenty seconds later, and aren't happy with the speed I just passed them at...

:commissar:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CannonFodder posted:

I was going about 70mph and someone in a generic midsize passed me. They had a donut spare on the right front tire.

75mph on a donut :gonk:

I got passed a few weeks ago by a guy in a FWD shitbox, with a FLAT doughnut on the front left, sparks flying, wheel screaming, death wobbling, etc. I was doing maybe 60, he was doing at least 70.

ON HIS CELL PHONE.

90% of people shouldn't be allowed to drive.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Are there any dash cams that work like an airplane CVR, and record on a loop, or do I have to fiddle with the damned thing to delete data periodically?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

angryhampster posted:

I don't really see anything abnormal about this.

Just needs a wide load banner on the back end and some load-edge marker flags, IMO.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

There's a reasonably large intersection (SR7/441 and Commercial Blvd for any SoFla goons) near my parents house that was bad for YEARS, because there is a turnpike entrance/exit just west on Commercial, and both roads are 3+ lanes each way, and busy.

They put up do not block signs. No change. They redesigned and rebuilt the entire intersection and changed the signaling. No change.

They finally fixed it by putting a couple cops at the intersection every rush hour for a month. Not only is it (mostly) better now, but they probably paid for their own time with fines. :v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Krakkles posted:

My jeep doesn't have a rear wiper. It does, however, have a rear sprayer. :q:

Cherokees are best for this. Double points if you fill the reservoir with motor oil.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

At least around here, all school zones do is lulls kids into complete obliviousness to traffic, and allowing them to do blatantly dangerous poo poo around moving vehicles.

I'm constantly annoyed by having to slow to a crawl in a school zone, surrounded by kids old enough to know better, stepping directly out into traffic without even looking around.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

gileadexile posted:

This happenes this morning on my ride home.

Car decides to spin out while either slowing for the light or just..went out of control at 20mph?

Anyway, Dodge Ram almost made me a hood ornament so I had to step on the gas a bit to get away. Then I hung my phone out the window and yelled cheese to get the pic.

Surprised it turned out as clear as it did, considering I was shaking like a drat leaf from adrenaline.

:stonk:

As a native Floridian, I have to ask...

Why even go to work?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Delivery McGee posted:

One time I was doing 80 in a 65, and following rather too close to a Highway Patrolman. This was back when I had the boxy Jeep SJ, so I kinda blocked the view. Some jackass was riding my rear end, so I tapped the brakes -- not a brake check, just flashed the lights to let him know I knew he was there -- so of course he changed lanes without signaling and floored it, then swept back into the right lane (again without a blinker). The Trooper lit him up immediately, and I changed lanes (with blinker) and continued on my way.

Baiting people into doing stupid poo poo in front of traffic enforcement is an age-old tradition. My favorite is initiating street races in places you know there are cops, and then just rolling softly up to the speed limit while the other guy launches, and gets tagged almost immediately.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

West SAAB Story posted:

I take one of these DDIs almost every day (now). It used to be one of the busiest intersections. It's still busy, but nowhere near as much. People are afraid of it. v:v:v

The problem I have with roundabouts is that people here in the US don't seem to know what their purpose is, and they use them rather than speedbumps to hinder traffic. So, Joe Isuzu Bob Ford just lifts his truck another 4" and guns it across. I've seen more accidents from inside lanes forcing their way out to where they want to be (rather than circling again) too many times for comfort.

Google Maps is 3 years out of date, or I'd show you the glory of not two, not three, but FOUR roundabouts in a row. In a 25mph zone. I need to get a bloody dashcam, but I doubt 16GB would be enough space to record going through it.

I'm still waiting for a Miami driver to actually stay in the inside lane in a roundabout. The outside lane to go straight is only there to keep insurance rates up, as far as I can tell.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

InitialDave posted:

Or those moments where you think "Yeah, I probably should've stopped for that one" - and three people come through after you.

I live in Miami, so it's more like three cars, a county-owned tractor trailer, and a pickup truck with the bed stacked eight feet over the roof with scrap/lawn debris/new furniture, without a tie down strap or danger flag in sight, going thirteen miles an hour.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Toucan Sam posted:

As someone who has driven a Uhaul i can't imagine how slow this thing was driving when it got pulled over.

I have an acquaintance that lost his second food truck trailer that way. The 2500 Ram tow vehicle died, so they hitched it to a front-lift tow truck, with the trailer still attached. A couple miles later, the trailer rolled, and smeared itself all over the turnpike.

His first venture was an airstream he converted, and mounted two big commercial-sized propane tanks to an improvised platform on the aft end, and didn't adjust the trailer CG, so it only had like 20 pounds of tongue weight. That one got squirrelly and smeared itself all over the turnpike as well.

Did I mention that after the first time he miraculously didn't loving kill anyone, he used kickstarter to fund his second traffic jam food trailer, and after he AGAIN managed to not kill anyone, he's doing the same thing?

:v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dear every driver in Miami: Use your loving cruise controls, you god damned twats.

Signed: MrYenko

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

trouser chili posted:

I'm catching up with this thread, and a ways back we were talking about overloaded trucks. We get these guys everywhere in St. Louis.

Ratty old pickups with pallets stacked to the sky. I'm assuming these guys just drive around looking for pallets behind buildings to haul back to some pallet hording palletman that's building a spaceship made of pallets or something. The heights these guys are willing to stack their pallets to is astounding. The truck pictured isn't even all that high but it's the best picture I could find of a palletman.

They're common here too, but with the added bonus of the truck generally having its frame clearly broken, dog walking at like a fifteen degree angle, multiple bald tires, sometimes all at once.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

devmd01 posted:

Set up a livestream. :allears:

Re-set your mailbox in six feet of concrete, and set up a live stream.

:unsmigghh:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ferremit posted:

I was in one of our work vehicles a few years back, which has the full compliment of ARB armor on it- Bullbar, side rails, sill protectors. Sitting in a shopping centre waiting for the other guy in the crew to get back from subway and a woman pulled up beside us and just flung her door open into the side of the work truck.

Which smashed a beautiful 1.5" dia dent into the edge of her door at about lock level and stopped the door from latching.

Theres a special place in hell for people who don't loving pay attention to the edges of their doors.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kuffs posted:

I feel you, dude

I had parked to the left of a now-absent car, and was only inside for about 5 minutes.

This is amazing. Amazing that the Toyota owner hasn't stabbed themselves to death with their own fingers yet.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Snowdens Secret posted:

I've been pulled over in weird spots and asked the cop when they came to the window if they'd prefer if I moved. They've never said yes, even when we were obviously obstructing traffic. Then again, none of them ended up giving me a ticket, either.

I have a friend who was a police officer, and is now a highway patrol reservist, and he echoes every other cop I've ever asked: The officer is choosing to light you up there, and that's his decision. Do not keep going to get under an overpass if it's raining, or to a more attractive piece of shoulder, that's HIS call. If he wants to stay dry, or doesn't like the idea of stopping where you are, he'll just pace you until he's happy with the location, and light you up after that. Just smoothly, and safely pull the car over, and do everything kastein says above. Do NOT go looking for your wallet or registration.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Galler posted:

Jesus christ you're not kidding about the last one. My dad is 65 now and the AARP mail never stops.

I'm 31 and the AARP mail never stops... I got one this week wishing me a happy 65th birthday.

Someone's data is hosed...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Motronic posted:

It used Prest-o-lite tanks, but common welding tank sizes B (40 cu ft) and MC (10 cu ft) designation relate to "Bus" and "Motorcycle" and are still used today as designators for acetylene tank sizing.

Thank you for subscribing to tankfacts.

Thanks. I used to have an empty piece of brain, and now I don't.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fingerling posted:

Not instilling good road habits to your children is a totally foreign concept to me.

Related: at some point in the past, parents stopped telling their children that you don't walk down the middle of lanes in the parking lot. It's rampant down here, you'll be trying to move through a parking lot, and some mom-beast with three screaming kids will be slowly creeping towards the store, down the center of the parking lot movement lane. If I had done that as a child, my mother would have, and did several times, slap the living poo poo out of me.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

jamal posted:

In a really hot environment you could even use less than 50% coolant. The downside is that you lose some of your anti-corrosion and lubricating properties.

Any time I do a coolant flush myself, I use straight distilled water and two bottles of RedLine Water Wetter. It drops coolant temperatures ~10-20F in the summer time.

That said, I'd have to re-flush the system if I wanted to leave the state, and I don't go out of my way to do coolant flushes myself, of course, but it's been known to happen.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I'd like to take a moment to thank FLDOT, the FHP, and Miami-Dade Police for not using any of the myriad of information signs, installed at enormous taxpayer expense for just such a circumstance above the turnpike to mention that the southbound lanes were closed for construction, and instead, I'd like to thank them for parking two cruisers and some road flares across the road, and not making any effort to streamline all three lanes worth of traffic off onto a tiny two lane surface street. My thirty minute drive home took an hour and twenty minutes.

Thank you all very much. Assholes.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Das Volk posted:

I had a similar experience except with a master tech at a Mitsubishi speed shop showing me how to baby the fragile synchros in my Evo transmission. He was the one who taught me that if you want to go faster, don't try to make it up with shifting, because you'll only break things. Instead, add power, within reason.

There's some sort of cosmic justice about a Mitsubishi tech talking about transmission weakness. :downsrim:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

rcman50166 posted:

It's more dangerous in automatic cars. I thought you would have known that since you seem to know everything.

You wholly missed my point. Like, entirely.

Pieces of straw men loving EVERYWHERE, though.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Speaking of assholes, I saw an e92 M3 yesterday with the parking light headlight halos replaced with red lights.

So now the dipshit has red lights on both ends of his car. I don't understand how anyone with taste that bad can afford an e92 M3.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

In a perfect world, every time three lanes has to merge down to two, or two to one, there would be three warning signs. At the first one would be a giant flailing arm inflatable tube man, to draw attention. At the second one would be a thirty foot tall grim reaper, holding the "Right Lane Closes, Merge left" sign in his bony hands, out over the lanes.

At the final, scrolling-lamp erectable traffic sign would be a tractor trailer full of RPGs, and a single man standing in the back. Any car that he witnesses diving right, because the line is shorter, gets a godamned RPG through the windshield.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Motronic posted:

Do you realize that it's most efficient for everyone who's already in that lane to use basically all of the lane that is closing and people in the lane next to it behave properly and zipper merge?

Yeah, getting two lanes of traffic to behave seems like an impossibility, but it's the most effective use of road space for everyone.

I'm not talking about people trying to zipper merge. No one here knows what that is. I'm talking about the people that will dive to the right of already-zipper-merging traffic, trying to be the absolute first one through the bottleneck. They'll use the shoulder, whatever it takes to be first. I saw one last night go through the cones, inside the closed area, and get stopped by highway Patrol for being a giant flaming toolbox. It was a rare moment of justice.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dear Everyone-in-Miami: Four way flashers are not for rainstorms, you ignorant, incompetent, useless, assholes. gently caress off and die.

Signed: MrYenko

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Crankit posted:

Having your traffic lights turn off at night seems really stupid. Am I misunderstanding, or is that what's happening?

It's common in commercial and industrial areas that are super-busy during the day, but have very little traffic at night. The lights will go to four way flashing red, and you treat it like a huge stop sign, or two way each flashing red and yellow, where yellow is "HEY rear end in a top hat PAY ATTENTION" and red is still a stop sign. (There would be flashing yellow on the major road, and flashing red for the smaller cross street.) As mentioned above, a four way stop is simply several difficulty steps above the ability level of 90% of the driving public, let alone a four way stop with more than four lanes, so it doesn't always work.

Its supposed to keep the intersection from holding one or two cars at a red light for a full traffic cycle at intersections with no traffic sensing equipment, when there is literally no traffic in the perpendicular. In Miami, most of them seem to click over at 11pm or midnight, and go back to normal at 6am.

My favorite in that video though was the Cherokee rollover that turned INTO the incipient spin. :psypop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Volt has a "low gear" setting, that essentially changes the regenerative braking curve to be more aggressive, and lets you mostly drive with just the accelerator pedal. It's great for heavy traffic, but it still doesn't light the brake lights, which means it's great for causing people to panic-brake, because they're following too close, and the idiot lights didn't come on. :v: