Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

xzzy posted:

Parking under trees is stupid anyways, all it does is get bird poo poo or tree bukake all over your car.

It's worse when you do it under a black walnut. Then you end up with "hail damage".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I drive this stretch at least once a week. A lovely area where frequently the left lane sustains 90mph+ traffic and the right lane is at a dead stop. While accidents like that are rare, it is more frequent that someone in the stopped lane suddenly gets offended that they have been slowed down and they swerve out into traffic which is going two to four times faster, either causing an accident or a near miss chain that can pucker your rear end in a top hat up tighter than a gnat's pussy.

This is why whenever I drive down in Illinois, especially on the interstates, I turn into a ball of rage. It doesn't matter how nice the traffic is going, just on IL interstates I get pissed.

It's why I prefer taking side streets, no tolls too!

e: I know exactly where that is too. Gurnee is such a mess especially when Six Flags is active.

iospace fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 22, 2016

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

xzzy posted:

Crossing back into Illinois is the worst part of a road trip vacation. Get out of the state and while there's always idiots on the road, you're not constantly mad at everything around you. Five minutes back in the land of Lincoln? Exactly what you said, it's just mile after mile of dreaming up ways to painfully murder the assholes around you.

I don't know why every single driver in the state is actively trying to enrage other drivers but it's pervasive and I haven't seen anything quite like it in any other state I've driven in.

I've driven from Milwaukee down to Mitsuwa a couple times in the last year. I've found that getting off at the I-94/US 41 split then driving over to US 45 and taking that and the city streets the rest of the way does wonders for my blood pressure, especially that I have a non-trivial amount of time to get in the proper lane well ahead of the turn I need to make. Same with going to Gurnee as well, though now that they built a Portillo's up here, there's no more use for me going to down to Gurnee anymore apart from Steak and Shake.

Though we have our share of idiots up here, namely ones that don't know how to deal with the zipper merge heading up to the Zoo Interchange.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Haifisch posted:

If it makes you feel any better, they're just as bad off the interstates. There's a reason people in Wisconsin call Illinois drivers FIBs. :v:

At this point I'm pretty sure it's a self-sustaining system of people driving hyper-aggressively so the other aggressive drivers don't murder them.

As someone who had lived in Wisconsin her entire life, trust me, I know. It's just that it feels less annoying on the side streets than the main roads.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

PT6A posted:

We have DRLs by law, so you very rarely get complete ghost cars (and in the city, everything is lit well enough that you stand a decent chance of seeing a ghost car properly anyway). I'd well loving rather that than some fuckstick's hi-beams aimed directly at my eyes so I can't see anything at all.

The worst is when it's cloudy (and more so while raining or foggy) and no one turns their lights on. I'm glad I have DLRs, but morons think their hot poo poo all the time by not doing so. I usually end up flashing my highbeams a couple times at people who don't have lights on in bad weather.

Usually doesn't work. :ughh:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I wonder if she's a sovcit as well.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm probably in the minority of younger people here, but I'm fine with 65 mph speed limits (with a 10 over wiggle room). Yeah, going faster is fun and all, but less time to react (especially in deer infested Wisconsin) and more fuel being burned doesn't jive well with me.

Plus, a 300 mile trip at 65 mph the entire trip, no stops, takes ~277 minutes, and at 70 mph it takes ~257 minutes. Wow, 20 minutes, such a time save (75 mph is 240 minutes). Going faster is subject to diminishing returns, basically.

Ah well.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Calling it "diminishing returns" is dumb too, since it's a linear relation between speed and time...

Two things, one, yes, distance is linear. Two, I was talking about time taken to go a fixed distance at a given speed. It's an inverse function. We know speed = distance / time. While yes, distance is linear (distance = speed * time), time however is not (time = distance / speed). So yes, going faster is subject to diminishing returns.

For example, say you have 100 miles to go. You go at 25, 50, and 100 mph. It will take you 4, 2, and 1 hours to do that distance. Going from 25 to 50 mph shaves off two hours, but going from 50 to 100 only shaves off another hour. If that's not diminishing returns, I don't know what is.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

xzzy posted:

You can always buy more gas. You can never get those 20 minutes back. :colbert:

But you end up spending those 20 minutes on buying more gas, so it's still wasted :smugbert:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Uthor posted:

It's 70 mph south of I-80. I'm getting old and just set my cruise at 75 mph (≈72 mph taking into account my inaccurate speedo) and sit in the right lane with little issues. It's pretty nice cause I used to go 75 mph and stress about passing all the slow fucks.

I would do that back on US 151 in SW Wisconsin, only it was 65 mph and I'd set it to 70. No one gives you poo poo at all.

Now on I-94, speed limit is 70, and people are doing 65 in the right lane.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

In the 1980s I was living and working in Madison and going to school in Platteville. 140 mile round trip five days a week. I never went below 70 on 151 and never got popped.

That was my same drive, actually

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

In the 1980s I was living and working in Madison and going to school in Platteville. 140 mile round trip five days a week. I never went below 70 on 151 and never got popped.

Oh, btw, US 151 is two lanes each way now

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

TotalLossBrain posted:

Good post. I find myself happiest on the road when I am alone.

I once was driving home from work once (and this is about 50 miles of highway driving) and I didn't have to change lanes at all the entire way. It was awesome.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Going back to turn signals.

Saw a pretty new BMW 7-series the other day. You can figure out the rest.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

xzzy posted:

The people you share the nurburgring with:

https://gfycat.com/InsignificantNecessaryCoyote

"hmm yes I'll try to pass on the inside of the approach to one of the fastest corners on the track, this will be okay"

"hmm that is a scary wreck I should totally pull off the track to the exact spot a vehicle surprised to see me behind the crest will slide towards"

Another dead RS it seems

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Two straight days, two people not realizing that the lane they're in becomes an exit only lane, WITH SIGNS SAYING SO A MILE AHEAD :ughh:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

EightBit posted:

Don't get your hopes up on this ever changing.

I know. :smith: I keep on seeing people trying to pass on the right right before the right lane closes (the right lane here has been closed for months now), and then they end up losing spots, so that's nice to see.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

You know what really, really pisses me off? People who decide to apex corners.

This is from a couple years ago, but someone did it and smashed into me:

And the car ended up getting totaled, because the axle, suspension, and frame were all trashed.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I saw a Maserati almost go the wrong way once down the busiest non-freeway street in the area.

iospace fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 25, 2016

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Today's bad drivers!

-Raining, wipers on, but headlights off (illegal in Wisconsin).
-Someone doing a burnout in Toyota Solara in a parking lot
-A little old lady in a Honda Element driving below the speed limit, nearly causing me to get rear ended by a dump truck, and turns out she was on her phone, with speaker phone on.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh, and speaker phone lady was doing that thing where you put it on speaker phone and hold it right by your mouth.

PT6A posted:

Oh how I wish this was the law everywhere (with any violations being punished with a swift beating).

It's so simple and it does so much to contribute to safety when you're more visible. I don't understand why people don't do it more often regardless of what the law says.

I don't know why car makers make it so if you turn your wipers on your lights automatically go on.

Of course that requires effort and money, and we all know that auto-makers are about as cheap as they come for everything.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mobby_6kl posted:

He wasn't even using his seatbelt, what a loving moron. Cars really should disable airbags if they detect somebody driving like that.

Nah, prevent them from going more than 10 mph.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

xzzy posted:

Yeah, so he's still causing accidents as people stuck behind him make unsafe passes to try and escape the roadblock.

Unless he lives on a major street, he's likely going to have to deal with it on a side street first.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Craptacular posted:

People would attach the belt, but put the belt between themselves and the seat.

or more likely: buy one of those buckles that are intended as replacements. I know some people buy them when they put heavy objects on the front seat (or have a dog) and it'll beep constantly otherwise.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

There was a semi on the road today thinking it was the bus in the movie Speed. Namely at one point I paced it well over 75 mph, nearly 80.

Also, if you guessed it was covered in lights, you're right (also the form fitting fenders over the driving wheels).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm the person who uses cruise control everywhere, mostly because I'm lazy. Also Toyota cruise control sticks haven't changed in forever except for some minor shape changes (read: basic layout and control methods are the same), which is nice.

Also, I'm the semi who decides not to clean off the top of their trailer and decides to head down the freeway, creating a cloud of snow for miles behind them.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kastein posted:

what

I had no idea modern cars even DID that. Other than teslas, of course.

if you have Waze and someone was kind enough to put down the speed limit, it'll display that. Mind you, it gets a bit wonky in construction zones, and not every street has a speed limit in the database.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

My breaking of the speedlimit depends on the speedlimit. Is it a 50-65 mph road? 8-10 over. Is it anything else? 3-5 over (My speedo reads 2 mph high, so if it says I'm going 65, I'm really going 63, which is fine).

Yes, this includes 73-75 on a 70 mph road, because I know Wisconsin cops will pull you over for 80 flat out.

I still miss US 151 though, you could go 68-70 down that thing (signed 65 mph) and no one would give you grief at all. The only thing you had to worry about was tractors and people slowing down for turns. The best people would signal they were turning before braking, the worst would brake at the last second and then signal.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

I got nailed this morning while passing slow assholes. 52 in a 40, passing people doing 35 :(

Usually once you break the 10 mph over mark, you're asking for trouble from police.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I usually remember what my cruise is set to, but I wish I had Toyota's cruise controls (as in the buttons) with Hyundai's display. Neither of them displayed the set speed, but Hyundai, at least in the Accent I drove, had two lights, one for saying the system was active ("cruise"), and another to say it was determining the speed ("set"). My Matrix only has one and it's the latter, and all it says is "cruise" :smith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Deteriorata posted:

The "off" switch doubles as a "disengage" switch on mine. Press it once to disengage, twice to actually shut it off.

The OSHA thread is a good reminder that lockout switches are a good idea. CC being on only if you deliberately switch it on seems like a good idea.

This. I usually leave mine on but I've accidentally resumed on a 55 mph road to 73 before

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Forgive me AI, for I have sinned. I did a half rear end job of clearing my car off and chunks of snow kept on flying off.

Kept tailgaters away though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, I have found something that works with tailgaters: Waving at them. Sort of a "Hey, I know you're there, but could you please back off? Thanks" message. Usually works.

If it doesn't they get the universal symbol for back off. That hasn't failed yet.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

spog posted:

Are you holding a gun in your hand as you wave?

Nope. Somehow still works.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

xzzy posted:

Most goons are asshats when you get down to it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FCKGW posted:

Saw a dude driving home yesterday who had the dome light on, reading what looked to be a bible held at chest height and dictating to a Bluetooth earpiece.

I trailed him for about 20 minutes through multiple freeway interchanges until I got to my exit.

:wtc:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:perfect:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Eifert Posting posted:

Someone needs to install a program that tracks the percentage of turns made without signalling and publicly shames people who drop below a certain percentage.

Maybe an "I'm a shitbird" lighted sign in the rear window of every car which lights if % drops below 70? We have the technology.

Not to be that guy (I'm going to be that guy), but how would it differentiate in cars without GPS that the turn was made because of a curve in the road (or other action involving turning steering wheel and requiring no turn signal) vs them making a turn?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

killa-pope posted:

Have it only count turns that involve turning the steering wheel x degrees or more. It won't be perfect, but if you're signaling most of your turns then you won't drop below the arbitrary line based on occasional sharp road bends.

Also discount turns in reverse then, and that works for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have an easy solution that we all overlooked. Put all the non signal people in BMWs.