Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

The UK is one of the places where the accuracy of the speedo is meant to be within certain limits (as per the contruction and use/type approval stuff, I don't think it's checked at the annual MOT). Mustn't under-read, and you're allowed to over-read by 10% + 6mph at normal road speeds (up to 70mph). The speedo's meant to be able to read up to the car's top speed.

I think commercial (tacho'd) stuff is required to be more accurate.

Now that you own a landy you should really know this (trust me - it'll break!) - The speedo isn't tested at all at the MOT. You need it there so that the tester can read a mileage off it but the needle doesn't have to move, and if you have the same mileage 2 years running the MOT tester doesnt care.
If your tester decides to test your brakes using a tapley meter rather than the rollers I guess you could probably fail for lack of speedo if they were feeling extra grumpy! but otherwise I doubt they will even notice. Mine still passed :)

However - if you get pulled over and VOSA do a roadworthiness check, the lack of speedo will count as a defect and will get you points/fine/recovery charges even if you have an MOT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I spent 7 hours on the motorway today (to do just over 250 miles :( ). On the way home i was wondering how some people are still alive. At one point someone changed into my lane without indicating (making me slam on the anchors and change lanes to avoid them), and then 30 seconds later pulled back into the lane they came from cutting someone else up and causing them to emergency brake. Then I overtook them a couple of minutes later after they inexplicably slowed down.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

MikeyTsi posted:

Except you're not using it "over the internet"?

The application is launched and run on the host system you're connecting to, what's going over the pipe is the display information.

There is a significant amount of data in the display information - graphically intensive things just don't work remotely.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

These are the people you share a car park with:

The beauty of driving a stupid little car (the Aygo is mine) is that you can fit it into the space next to the twat in the VW that can't park (The only space left in the whole bastard carpark). 9 hours after parking I came back and the VW had gone and had obviously had to climb in through the passenger side. Made me feel better after a long day :)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Surprised he didn't key your car.

Checked - couldn't see any marks, and my car is so filthy it should have showed even in the dark. Took the photo partly to record their plate just in case!

I like to think that they got back to their car, realised what a lovely job of parking they had done and sheepishly climbed across and vowed never to do it again. In reality they will probably come back tomorrow and do the same thing.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Geoj posted:

But what if...

Obviously if other spaces are available and you care about your car go for the open space, but in his case he didn't have a choice but to park there.

OTOH if you drive a beater (or company car that you have nothing invested in) I'm all for antagonizing the gently caress out of people who can't have the common courtesy to at least roughly get in between the lines.

If I cared about my car I would have left and parked somewhere else.

There is no excuse for not parking in between the lines. Even more so when you are in a busy car park. The other 798 people parked in there had managed it...

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I've just bought a G1W. Seems to work fine (I dont have an SD card it likes yet but it powers up and gives me a card error) except that when it is plugged in I loose all the signal on my DAB stereo. The DAB radio uses a powered aerial that sticks onto the inside of my windscreen (and is powered through the headunit).
I'm currently using the cig lighter power cable the G1W came with.

Can anybody think of a possible easy cause/fix for this?

I have run the power cable for the G1W via the opposite A-pillar to the DAB aerial

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Geirskogul posted:

If you open the power adapter that comes with the G1W, you'll see two spots marked for capacitors that don't have them. If you put the power adapter output on an oscilloscope, you'll have a heart attack. Don't use the adapter it comes with.

Cheers! I shall try and buy a better one (though I expect this will take some trial and error since they are probably all fairly lovely)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

inkjet_lakes posted:

So this week my mother in law drove the 350 miles home (all motorway, a journey she's done 10 times now), and somehow managed to end up taking a 150 mile detour - literally without knowing how she managed it. At all.
For the benefit of the UK members she was driving York - Plymouth but ended up on the London side of Milton Keynes. At some point she went from driving South-West to almost due East and just kept on going. Unbelievable :cripes:

Hitting Milton Keynes when on that route just means she was going down the M1 route rather than the M62-M6 to get down to the M5 and she missed the M69/M6 turn off to leave the M1 and kept going straight on and hit Milton Keynes.

She could have turned round and gone back and made it a much shorter diversion.

To be fair 'the SW' isnt signposted from the M1 like you might expect it to be. I've ended up doing a couple of journeys from Sheffield to Bristol recently and there is some crappy signposting getting across from the M1 to the M5, despite this being a fairly sensible route when you look at it on a map/satnav

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

Today, I mainly encountered
- People who lack the power/balls to overtake a Series Land Rover on a nice, wide A-road.
- People who lack the power/balls to drive at a pace that doesn't hold up a Series Land Rover.

those fuckers are everywhere :(

In a 101 the latter group often pull over for you or speed up once you get close to them. A 101 in your rear view mirror clearly gives many people the fear :)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

I hear stuff about someone sleeping in their car, or in their driveway/garage working on stuff being technically "DUI". I don't know if it's true or just hyperbole, but I'm not in any way trusting enough of the law and its application to dismiss it out of hand.

Mate sleeping in his car got woken up by the police (reported as a suspicious guy in a car parked outside someone's house at night I assume). They left him to it. They did however hang around nearby and pulled him over when he decided a short while later to move his car to somewhere further up the road where he wasn't being watched.
So it sounds like my local police apply the law reasonably and you will be ok if you are not stupid.

You would also likely get a nights undisturbed sleep if you slept in you car only on Friday and Saturday nights when the police are too understaffed to respond to suspicious car reports

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I have colleagues in Chicagoland that brag about their 1-2 hour commutes. It didn't take me long to realize my 1 hour commute to a $37.50/hr 40 hr/wk job was actually $30/hr to spend 50 hr/wk away from home. For a while, audiobooks and podcasts cut it, but eventually you realize that time spent with familiar humans, no matter how mundane, is usually worth more to you as we barrel headlong towards the inevitable heat death of the universe.

While you have a good point about the hourly rate dropping due to unpaid car time, its slightly more complicated for most people since you also have to factor in the difference in cost of living and quality of life you might get in your chosen home location.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

These are the pylons you share a road with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Are those...bike lanes or something? I'm very confused by double yellows as borders and not road dividers.

Double yellows along the edge of a road just mean no parking in the UK. In this case it is the access road to a big carpark (serving a castle, a railway station and a supermarket).

That truck further back is obviously exempt from the rules as he has his hazard lights on....

Also, a pair of peacocks showed up as I was trying to take the photo. Later that day one of them was menacing passengers waiting on the platform for the train. Then the noisy train arrived and he poo poo himself and ran off very quickly.

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 27, 2018