Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I'm betting the majority of dumb complaints that are just rolled over and fixed for free are from chain places like Midas and Monroe, who will be willing to take a loss for "customer satisfaction."

Coincidentally, it's also those places that are most likely to rip you off and suggest unnecessary repairs. Hmm...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Dat Kush posted:

I'm a service writer for a performance shop in southern california, I had a lady come in this morning and tell me that we didn't properly latch her hood when she was in for a oil change a MONTH ago...

and now her hood flew up on the freeway and cracked the windshield and she thinks we should pay for the repairs :(

I like my job for the most part, but some people are just ridiculous.

Well it's not like SHE ever opens that hood! Who would open their own hood, anyway? :jerkbag:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

DrPain posted:

Lady came in with warm a/c in an older Cadillac. It was out of refrigerant so we charged it, added oil & dye for leak detection, found none for today, assumed a pinhole leak, billed it out and sent her on her way.

Three weeks later her heater core took a poo poo and dumped some antifreeze in the passenger foot well. She roars up and squeals to a stop in the garage, slams the door as she gets out, and just starts royally motherfucking anybody in sight.

I tried to explain to her the difference between coolant and refrigerant for 30 minutes, about how refrigerant is a colorless, odorless gas at room temperature, and seeing as it was clearly gold antifreeze in her carpet and 110F outside that day, there is no possible way in any of the multiverses that us charging her A/C led to that heater core failure.

She took me to small claims court. I won. She hasn't been back.

I've also been known to 'fire' rear end in a top hat customers.

You would think at some point before actually walking in the courtroom she would ask somebody, anybody, else to verify her theory. :rolleyes:

General_Failure posted:

I'm enjoying these tales of woe. Besides not being a real mechanic I just don't hear these kinds of stories that often this side of the pond, although I'm convinced with the new generation of people that only know how to operate their iThings stories are bound to be abundant.

This will indeed become more prevalent sadly. Apparently the new generation doesn't give a poo poo about car ownership. There's study after study, article after article, and poll after poll saying Gen Y doesn't like cars, doesn't care about them, and many have no desire to ever own a car. :(

Combine that with new cars and their plastic sealed "no user serviceable parts" engine bays and you're gonna find less and less people knowing anything even basic about their cars. 30 years from now a lot of drivers will just think they run on fairydust and moonbeams.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I'll admit to always loving up when I rent a car or drive someone else's that has the shifter on the floor. I haven't owned a car that didn't have the shifter on the wheel for years now, so when I drive a different car I'm always grabbing the turn signal stick to go in reverse, at least the first time I get in.

Also in my '65 Deville the high beam control is a button on the left side of the floor. :psyduck:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

And then they'll mandate Google Guided controls in all cars.

It's start with an "automated drive only lane" or even expressway, similar to HOV lanes. Some states will switch all the highways over to it, and pressure will be put on the federal government to mandate all new cars have automated driving. Then it's a quick step to making a rule you have to convert all old cars and bam!--Red Barchetta becomes a prediction of fact.

It's a little :tinfoil:, but not completely. Especially when the stats start pouring in about reduction of accidents, lessening of traffic jams, etc. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

InterceptorV8 posted:

gently caress, I passed the googlemaps car on a double yellow because the rear end in a top hat was doing 45-50 in a loving 70.

Did you check to see if this moment was immortalized online?