Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Ludicro posted:

On the way home from the gym I'm coming up a slip road to join a more or less empty dual carriage way, and theres a person in the lane next to me who decides not to move over to let me on. Which is fair enough, they have right of way and all that, so I bleed a bit of speed to join the road behind them.

Except they slow down to more or less my speed and actually block my entry onto the road. I slow down more, and they slow down more. Eventually I ended up going down to about 15mph as I ran out of slip road while they trundled past flashing their lights before I gunned it to get back up to speed as soon as I was on that carriageway. loving hell if you want to be nice and let me on, move over to the other empty lane, don't loving slow down to let me on creating an incredibly dangerous situation where I cannot merge onto the road because your loving shitbox is in the way matching my speed. You have right of way, just keep at the speed you was doing and I will adjust mine to fit into a gap.

Cunts.

Actually, if the slip road has a single dotted line (as most do) as it joins the carriageway you have right of way and traffic on the carriageway must allow you to merge safely. I move into the next lane wherever possible, or will brake/accelerate to be clear of joining traffic. With the mileage i do i encounter a lot of oval office determined to make it difficult for me to join.

A while ago i had an old guy in an A-class block me from joining a carriageway as i left the services, i was running out of slip road an just forced him out of my way by moving over aggressively. I was not going to die in 3.5 tons of loaded van crashing into a concrete barrier because some oval office wouldn't move over into an empty lane. I would've broadsided him out the way if i had to. Wanker. This poo poo is all too common.

Saw a good one a while ago i kept forgetting to post. Sat at the lights a couple weeks ago and a Berlingo van goes bombing it over the junction towing a Transit Connect. Tow rope looked really short as the vans were only about 6' apart, looked like one of those bungee/kinetic ropes though.

Some time/miles later on the A12, traffic grinds to a halt as lane 1 is blocked. As i drive past i see it's the Berlingo and Connect, their tow rope has snapped. Only it wasn't a tow rope, they were using a load of domestic earthing cable, and it appeared that the knot had come undone, they were tying it back together.

:cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Was this a couple of weekends back? Small world if it was, I think I saw these two jokers blocking a roundabout up by Southend airport. The twat in the Berlingo lurched out forgetting he had a Transit tied to his arse and nearly took the guy in front of me off the road.

Yes, it was! A12 towards Essex (A few miles shy of the M11) is where they stopped and blocked a lane while tying new knots in their tow rope.

When they drove past me before the A12 (In Wapping) they were absolutely bombing it over a junction.

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Christ knows what they were doing taking a knackered Transit on a tour of Essex.

Blending in with the locals! :v:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Also I drove through the centre of Paris during rush hour last Thursday. It's quite fun once you realise there are only two rules: stop at red lights, don't hit anyone else.

Driving through Paris is a hilarious nightmare. The whole place is crazy and people generally do whatever they want. Stop at red lights and do hit anyone else are guidelines, as you'll see both happen quite frequently. Boulevard Périphérique is a free for all; crazy lane changes, speeds all over the place, plenty of bumps and accidents. I took my car around it on the way to Spain last year, and it was nice to go on there in something with enough poke to get out of trouble.

Paris bikers are great, they have sirens on their bikes, and just run with the hazard lights on and filter through all the traffic, no fucks given.

Scruff McGruff posted:

After seeing that Arc de Triomphe video I believe it.
Fake edit: This one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2RCPpdmSVg

That's an insane roundabout. I've done it a few times in my (right hand drive) van, which was fun. You're supposed to stop for traffic joining the roundabout, but a lot of people don't, so just aim for your exit, gun it and hope for the best. General rule: watch out for what's in front of you, gently caress everyone else.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Ludicro posted:

There is no such provision in the UK, the only time a pedestrian has right of way is if it is a proper pedestrian crossing or as mentioned earlier a junction they are already in the middle of crossing the road. Even when using a proper crossing you still have to wait for cars to stop before you step out into the road, and you have to give vehicles adequate time to slow down. So this for example:

Even though the woman technically has right of way, she didn't stop at the side to assess it was safe, or to give approaching traffic time to slow down, and acted in a manner that give the driver of the Golf very little time to react. Mercifully the woman only suffered a few scrapes and bruises, and unsurprisingly the driver was not charged with anything.

In any case, not looking before stepping into the road is still dumb as poo poo regardless of what local regulations say. The laws of physics don't give a toss about right of way.

I could watch that gif all day, love it.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

spog posted:

Watch the streaming video.

http://www.abbeyroad.com/Crossing

I guarantee you will see stupidity within 60secs of watching.

I loving hate that crossing. The place where unfunny tourists hold up traffic to badly re-enact a mediocre cover picture for an album they've probably never listened to.

I would love to go there one night and tarmac over that crossing.

Luckily almost every time i go down that way (It's about 3 miles from home) i take that fork off to the upper-left of the screen. (Grove End Road.)

I watched it for about a minute and it made me angry.

Mooseykins fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 2, 2015

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
That's what that crossing is like all day, every day.

The only time i have ever enjoying going over it was when my van was in regen and was dumping thick white noxious smoke. While waiting for the idiots to take their pictures i high-idled it and they got the point.

If you ever watch that and see a dark red van VW van with an angry driver calling pedestrians cunts, it's quite possibly me.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm moving to Britain and putting the biggest bullbar I can find on the meanest chavviest Saxo I can find.

Wanna swap places???

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

spog posted:

I'll be honest, Mooseykins, I am kind of disappointed in you:

As a bona fide London van driver, I expected you to be complaining about how you have to jetwash tourist blood off your van at the end of every day.

Don't be silly, i don't wash my van.

nitrogen posted:

I've always meant to ask this, but what do the zigzaggy street lines mean?

No stopping. It's so both pedestrians and traffic have a good clear view of each other. 3 Points & £100 fine if caught stopped on zig-zags.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Safety Dance posted:

No stopping as in parking, or are you breaking the law if you're waiting for a signal to change and traffic happens to put you in a zigzag zone?

You can stop/pause between them like waiting in traffic, but you can't stop there for parking/loading/waiting or anything like that.

For places you can't stop at all, even if traffic stops we have yellow boxes/hatchings:

And yes, people frequently stop on these too.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

nitrogen posted:

I love this, you have "Toucan, puffin and equestrian crossings" as well as "Zebra Crossings"

"There are 6 different types of pedestrian crossing:- School crossing, Zebra, Pelican, Puffin, Toucan and Pegasus."

Honestly, what the UK needs is more types of pedestrian crossings. Abbey road can be a new type called a "oval office crossing" due to it's primary use as a method of pointlessly slowing traffic so tourists can take mediocre pictures. Another type could be "two-wheeled twat crossing" because cyclists think that not only are they above traffic laws, but they can use any kind of pedestrian crossing while on a bike too.

MrLonghair posted:

My god what a wicked drinking game you could fashion out of this.

Selfiesticks, four people doing the pose across the crossing, people shooting the poo poo out of the Abbey Road sign, photographers upholding traffic on the jagged line / incoming lane / meeting lane, honks, long horns, near-hits, successful hits and finally drink the whole bottle when you see 3+ orange robe monks walking across.

and people who walk out into traffic without looking

You'd have alcohol poisoning in a number of minutes.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

He calls himself Wanksy.

Our roads are horrendous.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
Always use the handbrake. Never leave my (manual) car or van in gear. If i'm parking on a hill i'll turn the front wheels into the curb, roll until it stop then set the brake, double safety that way.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
Had a run in with a cyclist today.

Central London, (Upper Woburn Place) i pull up to a red light, first in the line. There's a cycle lane to the left, and a cycle box in front for them to stop at. Girl comes up the cycle lane, turns and stops right in front of me in the box. Lights change, she goes off pretty slow, so i'm there crawling waiting for her to get on with it, she turns around and shouts at me to "back off/gently caress off". I don't get any closer/further, don't change speed, carry on waiting for her to gently caress off to the side of the HUGE wide lane so i can go past. She continues right in the middle of the lane, turns around, gives me a wanker sign and calls me a wanker.

Umm, ok, whatever. As the road has widened, there's a huge gap off to the left, i indicate, move left give it some grunt and overtake (undertake) her and carry on my merry way. Stop at the next lights and she comes up by my driver's window shouting something, calling me a wanker, etc. Not interested. She stops right in front of me, shouting at my to open my window and just go "Can't hear you. Radio's on. Don't know what you're saying." She carries on shouting, "I'm gonna take a picture of your numberplate!" Yeah, go for it. It's there for everyone to see. She takes a picture of me, and gets all pissed when i take a picture of her, she's shouting she's gonna call the police. Another cyclist gets involved and starts talking to her, she's so involved in loving around with her phone that as the lights change i just full lock the wheel to the left, go around her and drive off.

Call the police? And say what? I held up a van and then it overtook me? Good one!

loving militant bike-riding thundercunt cocknozzle bitch. I hope one day she tries that with the wrong person and they go and start knocking shades of poo poo outta her. gently caress with the wrong person and they could just run you over.

Oh, and she didn't notice my dashcam recording the whole thing either.

TL;DR - Cyclists can gently caress off.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Geoj posted:

You will be posting this later, right?

Of course.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Deedle posted:

Thankfully the karma police was on duty as the old loving oval office swerved in between two lorries to make the exit and rear ended a garbage truck.

This is excellent.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

88h88 posted:

How do you stall an automatic car? Serious question, I've never driven one.

Well, in theory, you can't. They generally don't, either, unless something is hosed like the torque converter lock-up clutch or excessive drag in the gearbox.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

PCOS Bill posted:

No I mean if everyone is required to retake everything constantly.

They had to pay for it in the first place, so they'd have to pay for it again. (The drivers.)

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
I keep meaning to put stuff in here, but i see so much dumb poo poo that i forget most of it.

Had a good one today though, coming down a sliproad joining the M11 motorway. Sliproad is two lanes, about 2/3 of the way down the dotted line disappears as traffic is supposed to form into a single line to join the motorway. Woman decides that just as i'm about to join the motorway she's going to overtake me and move into lane 1. Lanes 2 and 3 have cars and no gaps, so she's trying to overtake me and move into the space in lane 1 that i need to get into. We're doing 50mph, and rapidly running out of slip road. I move over and she has to loving deal with it, beeping the horn and going ballistic.

Maybe she was expecting me to drive down the hard shoulder? (And plow into the back of the broken down horsebox 100 yards down it?)

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

GramCracker posted:

Your avatar fits the bold part of this post.

Very accurate, honestly.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

I know so many VW scenesters and they all like to do dumb poo poo like run no front plate, or run it in the screen. Then they get stopped and want to argue with police over the technicalities of it. Even though the law is that it must be displayed on the front they argue that tractors and Land Rovers with winches run it above the windscreen. (Even though that's the only suitable place for those vehicles.)

I was actually driving the other day and a Golf overtook me, as it went over a bump its rear plate fell off. I think i have that on the dashcam.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Previa_fun posted:

9 and 3 fo' lyfe. :colbert:

3. :colbert:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

go3 posted:

I have a rig/big object moving company as a client. Was out there bullshitting with them yesterday when they get a phone call from a guy they sent out to check the measurements of something that needed moved. They were told it was 16' 4" tall, actual measurement was 18' 10". Motherfuckers not double checking is how that poo poo ^^^ happens.

That's the driver being a loving moron. Those containers are no taller than any standard box trailer we have here. And being that he's pulling a dedicated container trailer (Like.. nothing else can be put on it, only standardized containers.) he should know better.

The thing that you posted is likely not a mistake, and just customers lying about dimensions and chancing it to try get it done cheaper. I get this quite often with work, customer orders a 3m (cargo area length) van and then comes out with a 4m-long item and goes "Oh, can it go in diagonally?".

Also Tulse Hill can suck a dick, gently caress sitting in traffic there, like i have to every loving time i go through there.

nm posted:

Somehow I don't think the standard size shipping container was somehow taller than described by the shipper though.

9'6"! And with a 1,250mm (4'1") 5th wheel height and a bit of trailer chassis (Let's say 8" above the kingpin) that's a total height of about 14'3". The sign for the bridge says 13'9".

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Powershift posted:

the standard size shipping container is 7'10" inside, a high cube is a foot taller. it's possible he squeaked under there a thousand times with a standard shipping container, and then somehow ended up with a high cube.

Still has the dimensions stenciled on the back door!

All the ones i see here are 9'6".

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Powershift posted:

Actually, assuming the worst with 11r24.5 tires, which are 40 inches tall, and 12 inches from the tire to the container, a standard height container on the trailer would be 12' 10", and a high cube on the trailer would be 13'10". there isn't an inch of give in a container.

A lot of the ones i see here have all dimensions on the back, either way it's not like the bridge ducked just as he approached it.

Standard 5th wheel height here is 1,250mm. (4'1") There are some different but i'd bet that Actros runs standard height on standard Euro-spec tyres. (295/80R22.5) Looks to be a 6x2 with a push axle, so it won't be running low profile tyres. Place i go to for work a lot has a whole load of idential Actros tractors.

Powershift posted:

not normally the dimensions, usually just the weight and weight limits, in fact, i think i might have that same container.

Possibly. I see a lot here with all the dimensions on them.

That yellow sticker on the left, they say "Caution 9'6" Tall".

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Powershift posted:

still, with a 4'1" 5th wheel height, and a foot tall trailer, and a standard container, he would be at 13'7" and barely squeak under. a high cube would take a 10 inch haircut.

Yeah. I can't recall seeing any of the shorter ones here. All i see are 9'6" ones in various lengths. (20', 40' and 45' usually.)

Container drivers get poo poo pay here, so he probably doesn't give a gently caress.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Deedle posted:

From what I gather the congestion charge is a fee, not a tax, because taxes are levied to pay for things. The fee is levied to encourage people to not take the car.
It's basically a political technicality mixed with semantics, but the C-charge isn't a tax. If you don't pay it you're issued a fine, not a tax surcharge.

It's a toll.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

nitrogen posted:

we will probably have to go to war over it to figure this out.

Not a problem, i just hope that the collateral damage includes the destruction of the congestion charge system because it's loving bullshit. gently caress this city, gently caress the people who run it.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Crotch Fruit posted:

It's a tax, on the privilege of driving in London. Toll road fees (are supposed to) maintain the toll road and provide a route with reduced congestion, and there is almost always a way around the toll road to avoid the fee. The congestion tax in London covers all of the roads so it is unlikely that the tax is actually benefitting the road that you are using and the only way to avoid it is to not drive in London, which I will admit is probably easy thanks to London's mass transit.

In my opinion, a toll road is a voluntary fee that provides a higher level of service but the congestion tax seems more a gently caress you to people who work in London and need to drive a car. Is the tube always as fast as taking a car? What if your job requires you to transport bulky items?

It only covers an area of central London. And as you said, the fees don't go into maintaining anything, it's just a tax disguised as a toll to "reduce congestion" which it doesn't. It's only increased traffic in the roads around it, and barely reduced traffic inside; anyone who needs to go into the zone in a vehicle needs to go in, regardless of the charge. I have to take my van in frequently for work, and it costs me £10.50 for every day i go in the zone. (Mon-Fri) My last monthly bill for the CC zone was £136.50.

Sometimes if i have a drop that's right on the edge of the zone, if i can, i park just outside and make the drop with my trolley, skip the fee.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

nitrogen posted:

If you go by this definition, tolls on many bridges and roads in the USA are actually taxes.

Bridge tolls in California for instance. (money of which goes to pay for mass transit, not the bridges)

The CC Zone is just a cuntish tax.

Toll roads in mainland Europe loving own. Very little traffic, much better routes, excellent roads, excellent services and rest stops. None of that here, it's poo poo.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Foxtrot_13 posted:

The CC goes to pay for for transport projects in London that includes road maintenance as well as other forms of transport infrastructure and is only paid by those who use the roads it can be classed as a toll.

I'd be amazed if it actually went into road maintenance because the roads inside the zone are still poo poo. If it does go into the public sector it's probably part paying for cycle lanes that are going to reduce useable road for vehicles that need it.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

spog posted:

Someone told me that cycle lanes in the UK are funded by EU money

(which seems to be right: http://www.ctc.org.uk/eu-transport-committee-agrees-to-include-cycling-in-major-transport-fund )

So, the reason that all these useless cycle lanes (going from nowhere to nowhere, or going from somewhere to dumping the cyclist in the middle of a 4 lane roundabout with nowhere to go) is that the local council gets cash for every metre of lane they create. Regardless of how useless or dangerous it is.

The stupid cunts still don't use them. I drove past loving miles of cycle lanes most days without a single bike-riding oval office in sight. They've basically halved the traffic capacity of a lot of already-congested roads by building this poo poo. Then they have signs like "We're building segregated cycle lanes!" about as if we're meant to be loving pleased about it.

Get me out of here. I've had enough of this shithole. I can't wait to leave.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Crotch Fruit posted:

How many miles did he get away with this stunt? :stonk:

I guess it just goes to show they will let any idiot have a CDL these days.

This happened recently here. Two Romanians took their truck the wrong way down a motorway, drove down the hard shoulder a few miles with their hazards on, then did a U-turn at a junction slip road, and swapped drivers while in motion.

To be fair, the u-turn was loving decent. They got banned from driving in the UK, one for a year, the other for two years.

Stupid thing is, if they found they'd got on the motorway the wrong way, stopped immediately and called the police, the police and highways agency would rush there, put on a total closure and guide the truck the right way and send them on their way.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
These are the milling machines you share the road with:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/389467538451511?view=permalink&id=471720633559534

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
Road testing:

https://imgur.com/B6QB1vO

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Aww, it wants to be a Super B when it grows up. :3:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Powershift posted:

Even places that allow 3 vehicle combinations, the front trailer has to be longer, heavier, and a fifth wheel.

Are you not allowed Super Bs throughout all Canada? I see that they're about in British Columbia and Alberta, but i don't recall seeing any when i was in Quebec or Ontario.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Wasabi the J posted:

I still don't know what is going on here.

I think it's someone mistaking a truck runaway lane for an exit and almost driving off a cliff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Booourns posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpfGnGI_Fuc
these are the aircraft you share a road with

Skillsssss

Like this:

https://youtu.be/b3-nTKT9Tko