Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Krakkles posted:

While I agree that to do so is pretty dumb, most laws that I'm aware of don't really support that. Reasonably so.

If you put an airhorn on the back of your car specifically to honk at pedestrians exercising their lawful right of way, you're a dick.

In this case he could save someone from getting killed. Whose right and wrong doesn't mean much if one party is killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

PT6A posted:

If you have time to blow a horn, presumably you also have time to stop. How quickly are you reversing?

I mean, I agree that pedestrians are morons and you shouldn't walk behind a reversing vehicle, but that's not the topic under discussion. Always assume that every other road user (bike, car, pedestrian) is going to be an irredeemable moron, and cover your own rear end, no matter whether you're in a car, walking, or on a motorcycle.

Valid. He may just be in the habit of blowing the horn while backing up, not sure.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I am far less frustrated by bicyclists blowing through controlled intersections than I am some bro on his hella flashy chopper bbrappping his exhaust while passing your car on the right in the bike lane.

True, but their both dangerous.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Crotch Fruit posted:

Sorry, you are full of poo poo if you say it's not inconvenient to come to a stop on a bicycle. I ride an aluminum framed Trek, it's not a pro bike but it's better than a Wal-mart special and the aluminum frame makes it pretty light, but I still dislike coming to a stop. If I leave the bike in hi gear pedaling from a stop takes a lot more effort, if I shift to second gear it my derailer takes a while to switch gears. Both of those options require more effort than a driver moving their foot two inches to a brake pedal. My point is that if I am driving and I see a bicycle who is not acting stupid, I will try to brake for them because I like bikers and I don't want to force them to stop.

I'm confused why bikers don't have to follow the same rules as cars if they're on the road. Stopping at stop signs and intersections for example.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Crotch Fruit posted:

Running busy stop signs of busy red lights is pretty stupid and I don't support it. Neighborhood streets with a stop sign every other block and no traffic? Run that suit, hell I think most of the time neighborhood stop signs are only to prevent people doing 90mph in the compensation mobiles. Stop light with a vehicle detecor and no traffic? A bike pretty much has to run the light.

If I have the option to either stop or force a bicycle to stop for me, I will stop for a bicycle. Sure it wastes a tenth of a second and a hundredth of a gallon of gas but if I can make biking more appealing to more cyclists I think the net effect will be better. I was just going to waste that miniscule amount of time and gas anyways.

I guess my experience where I live is that 80% of the time bikers DON'T follow the rules of the road. To the point where it makes me nervous to drive in certain areas knowing there's a large concentration, or could be, of them.

I'm not out to kill anyone after all, regardless of fault.