Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Goober Peas posted:

illest parking job

Dude, that's a Camry SE, can't have people dinging it up!

We have a client that parks her Escalade exactly like that in their own lot every single day. Normally that wouldn't wad my undies, but one of the 2 spots she is straddling is a handicap spot. She is NOT legally handicapped, just in her 60's and 3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket. Every time I see it I am tempted to do something but she's a major client.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Drifting into the right lane on a left hand turn is illegal and is probably the most abused traffic law out there. IIRC from driver's ed, you're not supposed to be in the right lane at all for a certain distance. Only then are you allowed to signal, check blind spot, and change lanes. I get nervous when I'm in a 2-lane to 2-lane left turn, I have to hope the car on my left holds his lane.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Parking Dyslexia is a real thing!

I heard a commercial on the radio from an insurance company, don't remember which. It was a bunch of FUD about parallel parking, and that if you were bad at it you had 2 choices: to buy a bus pass, or buy our super awesome insurance that forgives you for your terrible driving and pays for dents and dings! There is an obvious third option that I need not mention, possibly a fourth if ritual suicide is on the table. What about the other people you are inconveniencing by *OOPSIE!* dinging up their bumpers and fenders?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Solar Coaster posted:

Local paper put this picture up from all the snow in Buffalo. This belongs in this thread.

Clear your drat roof before heading out!

'Round here we call that the "Wisconsin wipedown", ie clear the snow from 50% of the windshield (with your jacketed arm) and the drivers side window, get in and drive. That is taking it to extremes, however. You would be surprised at how much that snow weighs. Plus, he's missing out on the most fun part which is sliding that huge chunk of compressed snow off the top so it can gloriously smash on the street.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Makes me want to stand at intersections and put "DON'T BOTHER ME I'M TEXTING" stickers on peoples windows.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

That mayor's timing is suboptimal. Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't there been a few, shall we say, "complications" with police in that area of the country?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Protocol7 posted:

Stupid enough to not park in an actual parking spot, but not stupid enough to be considered a disability?

It's a client of ours and that lot is outside of the business she owns. She parks like this every day, or at least that is where it is parked every time I am on site.

xergm posted:

I wonder if you can hit them with 2 tickets, one for each handicap space.

Probably not, but even if I did report it they are a well known name in the community so nothing would happen.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Protocol7 posted:

32 years old and assaulting an elderly lady over a handicap spot. If you're well enough to get out of your car and attack someone, you're probably okay to walk a few extra feet.

The worst part is the claim that the lady bounced off her tits. Maybe that wouldn't happen if you wouldn't aggressively approach her you idiot.

Even better: the 32 year old's license is expired and handicap placard is invalid. She was breaking laws to drive to a parking spot she wasn't legally allowed to park in, previous to knocking down a 71 year old and breaking her hip. The court is not going to look kindly upon her.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

PT6A posted:

I don't understand how anyone who's been on a good, comprehensive rail system could be against it. Unlike driving, you can use the metro when you're drunk, and when more people take transit, it makes driving so much more pleasant because there's fewer "people you share a road with."

On Chicago's Metra you can actually drink on the train. I lived there for 4 years (suburbs, actually) and we'd walk down to the Metra station with our booze to get to downtown. It was loving great. 20 minutes of kicking back with a drink vs 1.5 hours of mind-numbing traffic and fighting for parking spots.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

xzzy posted:

Of course Chicago's rail fails spectacularly in many other ways to make up for the ability to sip some booze en route.

Like, say, zero parking in the suburbs. Naperville has a ~8 year waiting list just to get a parking permit at the train station. :suicide:

It's a problem with many other suburbs too.

It wouldn't be Illinois if they didn't cock up and corrupt everything that had potential to benefit its taxpayers.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Sorta related, I went to high school these assholes:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1368&dat=19910723&id=nbUyAAAAIBAJ&sjid=wBIEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6846,5148490&hl=en

From 1991. It was a national news story at the time. I guess you could say I was "friends" with one of them, though mostly through other people. You can pick your friends, but not your friend's friends. He could never, ever be trusted. He was one of those guys who convinced himself he was an amazing drunk driver, even in high school, and yes even after "accidentally" murdering someone. Fast forward 20 years and he suddenly starts showing up again at high-school-friend functions. He drives a BMW, is married, has kids, and has a good sales job. My friends tell me how he has changed and is successful now, I nod politely while my thoughts say "bullshit". I didn't have to wait long to be proven correct, back in December 2013 he was driving drunk and while attempting to flee from the police wound up smashing up a few of their cars, got tased, and is now facing several felonies. Turns out most of his home life was a lie, he was drowning in debt and had been lying to his wife and family about a great many things.

I guess the point of my story is there's a lot of loving sociopathic assholes driving BMW's.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Philip J Fry posted:

I was hoping to find one that could do double duty as a trail cam.

I use a GoPro (Hero 3+ Silver) on my dash, but my setup is not very good for daily use, since I don't have a power source running to it the battery goes dead pretty quickly. Honestly you're probably best off just buying a cheap one and permanently installing it, and then buy something else for trail use.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

InterceptorV8 posted:

Best coal roller I've seen lately came from a UPS box truck. I'm pretty sure that engine WAS on it's last legs and the driver was flogging it like he was trying to win the Silver State Classic. I always thought those things couldn't do over 65 mph.

This reminds me of an excerpt from a book:

"My uncle Shotsy was a UPS driver. He used to tell me that you could take any corner at exactly twice its posted speed. The second time he rolled his big brown van, UPS let him go."

Michael Perry, Population 485

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

If I'm the red arrow (right on red) I'm going to assume Mr. Green Arrow is going to make an illegal turn and hit me, so I would be cautious. If I'm the green arrow, I'm going to assume Mr. Red Arrow is both not going to be paying attention and make an illegal turn, so I would be cautious.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

The Mandingo posted:

Turns out this guy was a Qatari prince, I updated the above post to reflect it. And in a stunning surprise move, he's fled the country with his posse http://www.latimes.com/local/westside/la-me-beverly-hills-race-20150918-story.html.

What a shitbird. He's right about being able to have someone killed, but so could anyone with $5-10k in cash. And LOL @diplomatic immunity, aka the Lethal Weapon 2 defense, which does not apply to traffic citations, and also doesn't mean you can do whatever you want without fear of repercussions. Endless piles of cash and a strong clutch on the balls of the U.S. economy covers that.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Javid posted:

Someone around here DDs this thing.

WHY

The worst part is that there's more than one of them in the city, and that one is the less douchey one. The other one has "zombie hunter" spraypainted on the bumpers.

There was a guy DDing one of those around here, with "terrorist killer" or "kill all terrorists" (something like that) painted in huge letters on the sides, and Murican flags flying from everywhere. It was offensive to both terrorists and non-terrorists alike.

There was also a guy that vinyl wrapped his F150 with a 9/11 motif, complete with pictures of the plane hitting the WTC and resulting fireball and "NEVER FORGET" everywhere. Ironically, he's in prison now for tax evasion. Patriots pay their taxes, buddy.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

PCOS Bill posted:

Something about tea and harbors ring a bell?

Yeah. That had less to do with under reporting revenue from your lovely college night club, and more to do with rebelling against a repressive monarchy. See the difference?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

These are the people you share your living room with:

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2015/12/16/gamer-hit-by-car-while-playing-fallout-4-in-his-home-survives/

TLDR: Man with goon-like qualities is playing Fallout 4, driver is victim of "unintended acceleration" and drives through his wall. Driver is unsurprisingly uninsured.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

xzzy posted:

I've never been eaten by a shark so I fully advocate swimming amongst them, the risk is overrated.

On Playa la Ropa in Zihuatenejo Mexico there is an estuary that in certain times of the year drains into the ocean. Crocodiles live in the estuary and feed at night, so occasionally in the morning you see them returning home. This is in the very same area where people sit on the beach or go swimming. I found this fascinating for 2 reasons: 1. This would never exist in the US because we regulate everything out of existence so we don't have to use common sense and 2. Idiot tourists would get very close to the crocs by wading out or riding up to them on jetskis. It was my theory that these people assumed that since we were in a "controlled environment" that the behavior of those crocs would also be controlled and predictable. I based this on the assumption that someone wouldn't walk up to a croc if they were alone in the jungle.

Of course this has nothing to do with driving or even sharks, but it does say something about risk assessment skills of the average American.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

You think that's tempting, have a boom sprayer tractor:

I get behind these occasionally on country roads. I believe they have adjustable ride height because I've seen them get higher than that.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

xzzy posted:

In the actual great white north, they don't even pull out the trucks unless the forecast is for over six inches.

It used to be this way (northern WI) but I think they are so scared of liability or one of the town's "elite" getting into a fender bender that they salt and/or plow when it snows even 2 inches. The roads get torn up by the plows and the salt eats the cars, but hey, at least we are protecting the stupidest percentage of the population!

Personally my opinion is that nothing is worth risking driving through a snowstorm, barring some kind of medical emergency. I'm an IT guy, and the thought of dying for the sake of someone's printer "emergency" makes me cringe. When people call me for service during a snowstorm, sorry it can loving wait.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

It should also be noted that there is a huge difference in all-season tires. Most are complete poo poo in the snow. All of them are poo poo on ice, which at this time of year is covering every residential street.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I would be ok with mandatory winter tires. If nothing else, prohibit non-winter tire drivers from driving while there is a snow advisory or warning in effect, and fine them if they do drive.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Another tip I was given by a cop: always have your hands on the wheel at 10 and 2 when he's walking up to the car, when they can't see your hands it puts them on edge.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

antisodachrist posted:

This happened in a suburb here in Atlanta today around 4:30 PM and will gently caress up traffic since it took the power out. The Georgia Department of Transportation says they do not expect normal traffic flow to be restored in the area for five-to-six hours. There is so much going on in the pic, and I have no details on what happened exactly.

Holy poo poo this picture. It's like a bunch of random things photoshopped into one pic. Why are 3 people fighting (dancing?) behind the SUV? Why does it look like one of them is wearing a riot helmet? Why is that guy yelling at a garbage truck? How does a full size SUV get so messed up by a pole?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Arcella posted:

I wonder what the story behind CLAMS is, but also I just want it to be that he/she wanted a vanity plate and just likes clams :backtowork:

OBGYN?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Surprise, it's a Prius.

http://www.wqow.com/story/32266142/2016/06/20/construction-reminder-after-car-drives-in-wet-cement

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

B4Ctom1 posted:

America

That is why we will not park in the back of the lot.

We would have to walk, and it isn't just laziness..

It is beneath us.

Think I am off? Just get in an argument with one of us in public, we will tell you. "Do you know who I am!?" or "You don't even know who you are messing with!" Because in our minds we are not a regular drone trying to scratch each others eyes out to survive, we are a rapper, actress, singer, head of a gang, olympian, and soldier all wrapped up in one. We believe this because we spend all our time living vicariously through the people we incessantly follow on TV, music, and the internet through social media instead of looking around ourselves long enough to use a blinker, or park properly.

:drat:

All true though. The "American Dream" is a loving disease.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Gorilla Salad posted:

The BMW i8 is just an endless cavalcade of deliberately designed failure.

The emergency openers for the doors are incredibly flimsy and anti intuitive so, when the power fails during an emergency (like the car's on fire) there's a good chance you'll snap the tiny plastic part standing between you and burning to death. It takes two people to open the bonnet and it's almost impossible to do without breaking it and you need to jam it open with a screwdriver to keep it from falling back down. The door for the refuelling point can sometimes take several minutes to open after pressing the button.

And all these things were deliberate design decisions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxe_b2GRwok

When did they start allowing marketing twats into engineer meetings? If you have to have a backup mechanical mechanism for when (not if) the main system fails, then what was the loving point of the electronic system in the first place? This is just more dumb poo poo dreamed up by people who have never held a wrench. Touchscreen HVAC systems that take your eyes off the road, keyless entry that makes the car less secure, I could go on and on but I know I'm yelling into the void.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Elmnt80 posted:

I'm sure they would like to avoid a lawsuit if in the event of an accident/fire, the electronic releases fail and a customer is killed because they couldn't get out. Thats not marketing bullshit, its covering your own rear end with basic safety items.

You're missing the point. My 15 year old car has no electronic door system. It's all mechanical. It needs no backup system, because the mechanical system works perfectly and is reliable, even in the case of electrical failure or car fire. No lawyers needed. Tell me what is wrong with that system, and what is better about the system in the i8 without using the words "elegant" or "neat-o".

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Elmnt80 posted:

gently caress you, its neat-o. This isn't supposed to be a boring driving appliance, its supposed to be a halo car with every loving bell and whistle they can think of. Including fancy rear end doors that are electronicly opened so you don't have to take your keys out of your pocket. You seriously seem like the type of person that complains modern cars are too hard to work on because of all them derned sensors and computers nowadays.

Hostile. I don't work on modern cars, obviously, because my newest car is 15 years old. I'm in IT, so I work with them derned computers every day. I see how shittily everything is "integrated" together in the IT industry and how much of a joke IT security is, and I know that the dickheads at Ford, BMW, et al are just as loving clueless about how unreliability and complication go hand-in-hand. So please, tell me more about what I know and who I am.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

corn in the fridge posted:

Lol I'm in IT and I know everything

Yes that is exactly what I said and I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for the clarification, noted forums shitposter Corn in the Fridge.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Powershift posted:

20,000lbs/9071kg
54,000lbs/24493kg
26,000lbs/11793kg

For hauling cargo in the US, over 26,000lbs you need a commercial drivers license, but there' is an exemption almost everywhere for RVs.

For comparison, ancient Triremes (ramming ships) minus their crew weighed around 60,000 lbs. Think about that the next time you see a geriatric driving a Prevost in the general direction of your Miata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Gay Weed Dad posted:

I took this picture years ago but I came across it today and figured this was a great place to post this

I only wish I could've followed them onto the highway..

Scrappers are responsible for 86.7% of the world's unsecured loads. I just made that stat up, but it could very well be true.