Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
stiff rider with soccer mom reaction syndrome (slam on the brakes always).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I avoid looking at drivers because I don't want to develop prejudices. Everyone is bad including me.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
How can they use just one backup system and call themselves German

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

88h88 posted:

Instead of having that little weird clip that apparently breaks all the time, they could've put the door release button into double duty by making it a switch for the electric release and a full on button you can depress for manual release. 2 birds, one stone, cleaner design to boot.

is this something you've seen before, or did you come up with this idea. I ask because my mind is kind of blown right now.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Maybe instead of an electronic button that is prone to fail, they could have some kind of mechanical linkage to open the door instead?

I swear, back in my day we had to stick our feet through the floor and run while yelling "yabba dabba doo"

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

88h88 posted:

That's not super high tech car of the future territory though. I paid $150k for my super duper electric future car and doors are still opened with a series of levers and linkages?!

Alternatively they could at the very least engineer the door system to be foolproof, maybe running a battery of its own to open them in event of the car's main supply going tits up.

$150k? How much for a battery that doesn't fail in the first place????

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

xzzy posted:

This is why we shouldn't call it an emergency brake:

http://i.imgur.com/J8DtF4X.gifv

(apparently the driver's GF didn't want him to race the bikes so she cranked the parking brake)

This is the best ever.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I'm okay with people driving large vehicles like RVs and triple axle trailers. What I won't excuse are those vehicles lumbering down the passing lane at 75+

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

N is for Nipples posted:

I've started taking bad driving a lot more personally since getting a motorbike. It's easy to let it slide in a vehicle that will probably protect me from anything but the worst accidents, but when death or serious injury is a probability in any given accident it really raises the stakes. I have no idea how otherwise normal people (who don't actively want to die) ride motorcycles.

1. you sound too old to be getting into motorbikes
2. some people ride them on race tracks

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

N is for Nipples posted:

1. I can't even drink yet.
2. Me too!

okay, I guess I could ask what you mean by motorbike. Is this a practical type of bike you are riding out of necessity, or is it a 1,000 cc 200 mph rocket. I assumed you had a recreational type of bike so it seemed odd that someone would get upset about putting themselves on the road willingly.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

N is for Nipples posted:

I ride what most would consider a commuter bike, and I do it recreationally, but it has almost entirely replaced my 4-wheeled ride. Not only is it fun, but it adds some degree of justification to all my bitching about bad driving while simultaneously allowing me to risk my life to a considerable degree. Negligent drivers kill tons of people either way, whether they're on 2 wheels or not, but I've both decreased my risk of being seen before someone hits me and severely increased my chance of injury should someone hit me. It's completely illogical, knowing what kind of people drive out here (and everywhere) and what they do while driving.

The thing is the danger of riding is very apparent to anyone old enough to care. It's also the meat of the image you can enjoy as a biker. To use it properly you have to shrug it off with a smile or otherwise never ever say something like,

N is for Nipples posted:

I ride what most would consider a commuter bike, and I do it recreationally, but it has almost entirely replaced my 4-wheeled ride. Not only is it fun, but it adds some degree of justification to all my bitching about bad driving while simultaneously allowing me to risk my life to a considerable degree. Negligent drivers kill tons of people either way, whether they're on 2 wheels or not, but I've both decreased my risk of being seen before someone hits me and severely increased my chance of injury should someone hit me. It's completely illogical, knowing what kind of people drive out here (and everywhere) and what they do while driving.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I'm going to put my cell number on a how's my driving magnet so when I am in a bad mood I can have bad drivers call me wanting to snitch, and then answer the phone like HEY IT'S ME BITCH YOUR DRIVING SUCKS

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I am absolutely terrified of puncturing my colon. How did this happen and how can I avoid it?

well you see, what had happened was I tripped and fell and

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Phanatic posted:

After she gave me the finger she backed up a bit and did about a 7-point turn.

Da turdy point turn

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Side effect of the diverticulitis - if you want the gross nitty-gritty, basically a stretched-out pocket formed in my large intestine/colon and over time, waste got trapped and caused an infection. The day I ended up in the ER I felt some stabbing pain in my abdomen and found that the diverticular spot had more or less popped like a big pimple/abscess and started leaking infected fluid that took up residence between my large intestine and abdominal wall. It actually felt really good when they numbed up my abdomen, inserted a catheter below my belly button and drew about 40-50mL of gross yellow pus out of the colon abscess :v:

I'll bet man, what were the risks had it not been caught? Do they have to scrub your innards to get everything disinfected, or is it enough to remove the leakage and tighten you back up.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

MiniFoo posted:

Yes, let's joke about seventy innocent dead people and the hundred more who were injured. Good call.

I felt it was a statement of fact, albeit flawed in its accuracy, but hardly ridicule. There are tragic things in the world and they invoke many strong emotions, but I think it's still important to be as objective as possible.

Had these or other types of speed notification systems been installed on that road and sidewalks, this disaster may have been averted.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
dude was probably just playing Pokemon Go

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Bovril Delight posted:

Today, a guy decided it was best to get out of his fancy car shitbox Sentra on a busy highway during rush hour because I dared to honk at him for diving over a solid white to cut me off. After braking checking me a couple times, naturally.

So we're sitting here blocking a whole lane, out of two at this point. He gets out, but only throws it in reverse instead of drive, so the car starts to roll back. He goes back to put it in park, then comes back to yell some more. By this point I had rolled back a little to drive around down the offramp if he decided to escalate further.

Of course the car had a handicap plate and he was wearing a wife beater, why do you ask?
I resent you for not getting this on cell phone video

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

bolind posted:

Which is the way it loving should be. A few years back public transport here introduced a (massively delayed, over priced and over complicated) unified bus pass system, and the readers all have this rather sharp blue light, which sits more or less in the windshield of all busses. It's super annoying, because even now there's 100ms of completely unnecessary ohshitemergencyvehicle every time.

that looks nothing like an emergency vehicle are you bolind

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

I've done worse. I did a superman for at least a mile between the fast lane and carpool lane during rush hour traffic. If the name isn't obvious, a superman is basically planking on the bike. I was on the 5 back to Los Angeles from San Diego. I had the idea and you think, "lol that's crazy no way, gently caress you brain." But the thought that bothered me was looking back and being ashamed that I didn't have the balls.

So I kinda feel sorry for this guy.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Congratulations you're a reckless idiot. I hope that when you die in an accident you don't take anyone else with you.

I was young

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

Because the best way to discourage someone's reckless behavior is to wish for them to die a horrible death.

technically it was a hope that I die alone, not necessarily that I die :toot:

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Yep. I have no desire for you to die, I just don't want you taking anyone with you.

That said, you made it clear that this was more youthful idiocy than something you're proud of so I'm guessing you don't do that kind of poo poo anymore.

yeah looking back it's pretty obvious how selfish it is to endanger other people for my own thrills. Part of the problem is fixed with maturity and the remainder is avoided by not having a 1,000cc motorcycle anymore.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

ooh that's nice

you could use this thing I built ten years ago

it's all pipe thread.

-used fire extinguisher
-various pipe threaded fittings from any plumbing or general hardware store
-your choice of air valve, a cheap tire pressure gauge combo will do (also has pipe thread fittings)
-truck horn from any freight truck supply store

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
just carry a bugle and learn this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE1huPYerp0

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

FogHelmut posted:

I saw s Dodge Dart with red lights in the DRLs. Bright red DRLs like brake lights.

he's fast. you're furious

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

spog posted:

That is seriously impressive. I bet you made a version with flames - go on, admit it.

thank you thank you

for my next trick, I will use a compressed flammable gas for a propellant.

day 0: Got a tank of propane. The attendant at the gas station looked at me funny but we're good to go. I'm going to wait a day couple days to make sure the feds weren't called. It'll be a bitch to explain myself if all this is assembled

day 3: No feds. The adiabatic cooling is making the reed valve freeze internally. The higher the psi the faster it happens. I only get a yelp before it turns to hissing.

day 4: igniting the propane to ward off the freezing isn't going to work. The flame only makes it so far into the neck of the horns and it doesn't heat the reed valves.

day 5: the horns are plastic and I had buy new ones after melting the first set yesterday.

day 6: Attached a heat sink to the back of the reed valves and that seems to ward off the freezing for a few seconds. I have an activation duration of about 2 seconds and a cooldown of 10 seconds.

day 7. asked some of my friends to witness me. said they'd come by

day 8: IT'S WORKING! It's finally working and I can get flames shooting out with the use of a few pilot lights. Sounds great! Now they'll hear AND see me coming.

day 22: been really busy the past two weeks. I got an order from the guy in charge and he wanted me to multiply this across ten cars, fifteen horns each. Almost done.

day 30: We lost earl to a propane tank explosion but everyone is too busy geeking out at this super sick flame setup to notice he's missing. That sucks.

day 33: We're on the road and I was told my horns are perfect, perfect in every way.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

IOwnCalculus posted:

I had the mirror image of this on the way to drop my kid off this morning - I was sitting at a dead red and had been for quite some time. JKU Wrangler blows through the red just past me at probably around 60, close enough for the wind to rock my CR-V.

So that's my family's brush with death for the day.

I feel like a CR-V isn't a great example of an immovable thing

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

TotalLossBrain posted:

People are assholes. I keep a spark plug shard with me for those occasions. Haven't had to use it, but I'm looking forward to it.

don't forget, that only works on the side windows.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
if you're in Russia you are supposed to make turns from the center lane so at least we don't have that or something

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

^^ Are you talking about suicide lanes?

ALL turns make from center lane. Is Russia law, comrade

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Only 8 collisions, the Russians are not impressed.

Yeah it's a bunch of people who caught other drivers being impolite or something. wow so edgy

I watched a Russia compilation a couple days ago where a sedan wrecked into oncoming and the people spewed out into the hood of the camera vehicle. It was like a pinata with a bonus round where you smack the candy as well.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
metallic tint on your tail lights.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
a Police-man on parking lot duty told me I needed to use my blinker while making the only turn I could make at the time (like everyone else). I almost told him he needs to lose weight but I didn't because apparently he likes harassing people trying to get an education so they don't have to direct traffic in college parking lots. Thanks and god bless

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I saw the parking lot cop again and turned on my blinker in the parking lot this time because our little piece of the world will operate by the rules set forth in the constitution

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Cage posted:

Use your blinker all the time even if you're the only one on the road in a turn only lane, please.

It was a parking lot, at a T and he's standing in the intersection to help with our zipper because that justifies an hourly wage. I left my signal off because I didn't want to insult his intelligence or be facetious. There was nowhere else I could go, it was silly. Then he dropped his hands and stared for a couple seconds and asked me which way I was going. I pointed and it didn't occur to me what he was getting at, and then he said I need to turn my blinker on. According to his vest and patches he's Police police

They give these people guns and that poo poo is disturbing.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Today he placed hisself out on the street to direct traffic at the outlet. lol

The blinker thing was an honest mistake but I get the feeling trouble has found me now, and I don't need to be on youtube as don't taze me bro #2. I'm going to wait until after rush hour or leave campus through a different exit.

I'm sure the school has given their police detachment full jurisdiction or whatever.

These people get to carry guns around citizens, students for that matter. How inadequate does a person have to be to still feel the need to push their weight around.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I was going to say civilians but police are civilians too. lol

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
lol. sup bill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I used "lol" a lot yesterday and I'm sorry. I've taken the necessary steps to make sure this happens less often in the future lol

these are the people you share a forum with